2022 Elder Football

A little off topic, but what did Drew Ramsey, Ben Hambleton, Brogan Mcaugney from X decide to do college wise? Any of them playing college football or just going to live the college life and hang up the helmet?
I thought i heard McGuaghey is going to Yale? Ramsey was going to walk on at UC but then decided not to apparently. No idea on Hambleton.

I'm very confused as to how college coaches wouldn't take a flyer on Ramsey. I don't get it. This shocks me the most not only because of his talent, but with the connections Coach Ramsey has to have on the recruiting scene, as well as the well-publicized work ethic of his brother. All accounts are that Drew Ramsey works his tail off too. Is there more to the story here? This is a true head-scratcher to me and I'm guessing everyone who's seen this kid play.

I also think McGaughey is a D1 college QB. I was very impressed with him. Not sure if he had the best stats, but I think he was the best QB in the GCL last year in terms of putting it all together. I think Hambleton could play lower level but understand if you move on with life if you aren't playing D1.

Last edited:
I'm very confused as to how college coaches wouldn't take a flyer on Ramsey. I don't get it. This shocks me the most not only because of his talent, but with the connections Coach Ramsey has to have on the recruiting scene, as well as the well-publicized work ethic of his brother. All accounts are that Drew Ramsey works his tail off too. Is there more to the story here? This is a true head-scratcher to me and I'm guessing everyone who's seen this kid play.

I also think McGaughey is a D1 college QB. I was very impressed with him. Not sure if he had the best stats, but I think he was the best QB in the GCL last year in terms of putting it all together. I think Hambleton could play lower level but understand if you move on with life if you aren't playing D1.
I don’t have any inside information, but it’s possible he was physically worn down. He took a ton of hits in HS and he’d be signing up to get harder & more often as a walk on.

Brogan is playing at Yale, I think Ramsey hung up the cleats he was a preferred walk on at UC, not sure on Hambleton

Elder people don’t like to hear this but I believe it’s the main reason, What Position was he being recruited for? One of the fastest to probably ever play at Elder, this wouldn’t be the case in high level D1 college. Think he was done a serious disservice by not having a set position and being really,really good at it. Don’t really want to speculate but hope injuries were not a factor in him totally walking away but we would never know if they were.

Elder people don’t like to hear this but I believe it’s the main reason, What Position was he being recruited for? One of the fastest to probably ever play at Elder, this wouldn’t be the case in high level D1 college. Think he was done a serious disservice by not having a set position and being really,really good at it. Don’t really want to speculate but hope injuries were not a factor in him totally walking away but we would never know if they were.
There is such a category as “Athlete” when kids are being recruited.

He was kind of like a slot receiver wasn't he? I could absolutely see him as that at a smaller D1 school. I'd bet my next paycheck he'd find his way onto the field at a school like App St, Toledo, Ball St, the regional Ohio, KY, TN, MI schools (e.g. Eastern Michigan) if given the chance. Maybe he had his sights set on bigger things?

Recruiting has totally changed. This class and future classes are hurt big time by Covid and portal.
also, I do think not having a set position hurt him. Most MAC schools only took about 15 high school players this year. Hard to take a flyer on someone when you aren’t sure what position to play him at.

How was he not a slot receiver? Lined up in the slot, caught a bunch of slot routes, great hands like a slot receiver, ran great routes like a slot receiver.

What position do you all think he was playing if it wasn't that?

Obviously he came in at times and ran the read option at QB, but that seemed more like a gimmick than anything. Everyone knew what was coming when he lined up there, especially the GCL teams. Alot of us wondered why they just didn't use the running backs? Why have him get hit so much when he was so valuable as a slot receiver?

Then why didn't he play safety?

Why would people think he could play safety when didn't play it, yet he's not a good fit for slot when he was VERY good at it?
He did play Defense on passing downs. He played primarily on Offense, because that’s where he had the biggest impact on the game. It’ll be interest to see how E handles Luke Flowers, who also played both ways last yr.

The LB group may be the best position group on the team this year with Dugan, Arnold, Hornschmeyer I'm thinking are locks to start. Dugan started some games last year and Hornschmeyer was a full season starter. Arnold obviously a top talent looking to make his mark on Varsity. He had a solid year on JV and received some snaps on Varsity. Then, you have senior Voelkerding who had good seasons on Frosh and JV, but didn't get a lot of Varsity snaps last season. I think he will play and contribute this year. Junior Fortkamp is a good outside LB who will push for a starting position or a lot of playing time. Senior Willenborg adds depth and can play especially if he has grown since last season. There was a freshman LB last year I was impressed with Cowans I think will add depth to Varsity LB group also. The front 7 should be much improved from last year since 4 of the 7 are back and really 5 of 7 since Paff went out later in the season.

It really depends on how committed these kids were to the off season strength program. Hopefully, the St. X player comment from last season lit a fire into the off season strength program. Elder has paid strength trainers and a state of the art weight lifting facility. There is zero excuse for X to consistently outdo Elder in the off season.

The LB group may be the best position group on the team this year with Dugan, Arnold, Hornschmeyer I'm thinking are locks to start. Dugan started some games last year and Hornschmeyer was a full season starter. Arnold obviously a top talent looking to make his mark on Varsity. He had a solid year on JV and received some snaps on Varsity. Then, you have senior Voelkerding who had good seasons on Frosh and JV, but didn't get a lot of Varsity snaps last season. I think he will play and contribute this year. Junior Fortkamp is a good outside LB who will push for a starting position or a lot of playing time. Senior Willenborg adds depth and can play especially if he has grown since last season. There was a freshman LB last year I was impressed with Cowans I think will add depth to Varsity LB group also. The front 7 should be much improved from last year since 4 of the 7 are back and really 5 of 7 since Paff went out later in the season.

It really depends on how committed these kids were to the off season strength program. Hopefully, the St. X player comment from last season lit a fire into the off season strength program. Elder has paid strength trainers and a state of the art weight lifting facility. There is zero excuse for X to consistently outdo Elder in the off season.
You’re still hung up on what Kellom said two years ago? X has kicked Elder’s a** the past 2 years bc they’ve flat out had way more talent, not bc they worked harder in the offseason

Recruiting has totally changed. This class and future classes are hurt big time by Covid and portal.
also, I do think not having a set position hurt him. Most MAC schools only took about 15 high school players this year. Hard to take a flyer on someone when you aren’t sure what position to play him at.

2021s lost their entire summer of camps between their Junior and Senior year due to the Covid shutdown. Elder still placed a few players in the D1 ranks.

2022s Colleges started taking portal players over HS players. They also got the benefit of every player in college for an extra year so instead of taking 25 players or so, they were taking 12. 2022s had to be monsters to get scholarships. Unfortunately, Ramsey and Hambleton were now being measured not only against 2022s but players already in college. In normal times, both should have landed a full ride at the D1 level.

2023s are still dealing with the same thing as the 22s are. It's going to be an uphill battle.

2024s things may start to normalize as many of the college players that have that extra covid year will start deciding they have had enough if they don't feel like they are on the pro radar allowing programs to take more from this class than they did in 2023.

2025s things may finally be looking more normal as more of the Covid players cycle out.

2026s will probably look a lot like 2020 recruiting.

None of the above factors in NIL and the current realignment happening again that may consolidate the P5 to the P4 or P2. Who knows how all that changes the recruiting landscape.

You’re still hung up on what Kellom said two years ago? X has kicked Elder’s a** the past 2 years bc they’ve flat out had way more talent, not bc they worked harder in the offseason

It was said after the Elder-X regular season game last season 2021. You are mistaken if you think off season training doesn't matter. I will give you X has had a ton of talent the last two seasons. They lose a lot again, but they will again have a lot of talent.

It was said after the Elder-X regular season game last season 2021. You are mistaken if you think off season training doesn't matter. I will give you X has had a ton of talent the last two seasons. They lose a lot again, but they will again have a lot of talent.
I’m almost certain it was the ‘20 game at the Pit. Elder had a lead going into the 4th qtr and wore out, exactly like he said.

And of course, off-season training & conditioning matters a hell of a lot, that’s where players make their biggest strides. However, when there’s a significant gap in talent, it just isn’t enough.

Last edited:
first scrimmage vs Lakota West is in a little over a month. It’ll be interesting to see how they stack up. Last year, they played West pretty competitively, but there were obvious holes in the team.

Quick note, Maxpreps released their top 100; 3 local teams were ranked:

Moe- 65
West- 81
Winton Woods- 92

St Eds was the highest ranked OH team at 24.

It seems like a down year for big time talent in the Cincinnati area for c/o '23

Also, really think Elder could play him at LB and RB. Maybe get him 5 carries a game. Meier and Flowers aren’t going to be real threats bw the Tackles, you need a Back that can barrel ahead on short yardage downs

If he truly can run the ball, then I agree get him in for short yardage situations. I doubt anyone besides the coaches really know what he can do on the offensive side.

My thought is they need Flowers on defense. Summers and Meier can handle RB duties and be productive. The defense has a chance to be REALLY good, but they need to strengthen that secondary the best they can. Flowers would be a good start.

If he truly can run the ball, then I agree get him in for short yardage situations. I doubt anyone besides the coaches really know what he can do on the offensive side.

My thought is they need Flowers on defense. Summers and Meier can handle RB duties and be productive. The defense has a chance to be REALLY good, but they need to strengthen that secondary the best they can. Flowers would be a good start.
He’s a 5* LB, who played RB on the Titans and his uncle is Shaun Alexander… he can run the ball.

He’s a 5* LB, who played RB on the Titans and his uncle is Shaun Alexander… he can run the ball.

I heard family friend, but whatever. His dad could be Adrian Peterson, but let's see it first. Again, only the coaches really know. He's also a sophomore still developing. If he can do it, great utilize him.

I heard family friend, but whatever. His dad could be Adrian Peterson, but let's see it first. Again, only the coaches really know. He's also a sophomore still developing. If he can do it, great utilize him.
He’s also a top 5 LB in the class of ‘25. You have to be an elite athlete to garner that kind of ranking.