2022 Elder Football

I agree, but like I said maybe I'm overly optimistic. I think Pick Central and Lou St X are winnable games being they're both at home. So if they go:
Cov Cath - W
Pick Central - W
Springboro - W
St Edward - L
Lou St X - W

Then why can't they finish 3-2 against X at home, LaSalle at home and Chatted at home, Moeller at UC and one true road game in Roncalli?
Love your optimism.

There’s a pretty big talent gap on Offense when comparing those teams. The biggest disparity is at RB, where Schroer was just dominant the last half of the season. He had a very rare combination of speed & power. I think Meier or Flowers can have good seasons, but they aren’t going to be the workhorse Schroer was.

This current OL might have 2 D1 Tackles bw Schorsch and Soph James, but we really don’t know yet. The ‘12 OL was already pretty well experienced with Hilvert, Schroer, and Marsh.

At WR, Re has elite speed, but he’s not the complete WR that Ramstetter was. For all intents and purposes, Mazza was the #2 WR and he ended up being Elder’s all time leader in receptions. I do believe Mirus will be a very solid player.

QB is a big wildcard. I think Moore is possibly the most underrated Elder QB in recent memory. His stats weren’t eye popping, but he was playing hurt the entire last half of the season, and by then Schroer had become the focal point of the offense. I’m guessing the QB competition is bw Reuter, Schoster, and Schacleiter. I think all 3 have the potential to be very productive QBs in Elder’s Offense.
In the new transfer portal era with players still getting an extra Covid year, it’s going to be tough for anyone on this team to play D1 in college.

In the new transfer portal era with players still getting an extra Covid year, it’s going to be tough for anyone on this team to play D1 in college.
From what I’ve read, he’s in the 2 Deep. IDK if that means he’ll see much PT, but regardless, that’s an insane achievement.

Elder was very much in that game last year, and missed on several key opportunities to take the lead in the 2nd Half. As I recall it was 14-10 going into the 4th Qtr and Elder recovered a fumble deep in PC territory, but ended up turning the ball over themselves.

I think this year’s game depends on how Elder’s OL handles PC’s DL. Last yr, the Elder OL got flat out embarrassed, and gave up 6 sacks with a lot more pressures. There’s too much experience & talent on this OL to get whipped like that again. People forget, Schorsch started as a Freshman on Varsity for Oak Hills. He’s getting D1 looks and should really help protect the blindside for whomever ends up at QB.

PC defense was too much. Hambleton was running for life a lot, and was probably trying to force some throws to make something happen that led to 3 interceptions. I'm sure Hambleton had some throws on him last season, but a lot was also having to force something due to pass rush.

Schorsch should help a lot this season. He has the size and athleticism to be a good offensive lineman. The offensive line should be better overall, the defensive line should be better overall which is why this team even losing Ramsey and Hambleton should be better overall.

QB is a big wildcard. I think Moore is possibly the most underrated Elder QB in recent memory. His stats weren’t eye popping, but he was playing hurt the entire last half of the season, and by then Schroer had become the focal point of the offense. I’m guessing the QB competition is bw Reuter, Schoster, and Schacleiter. I think all 3 have the potential to be very productive QBs in Elder’s Offense.

It's a wildcard only in the sense they are replacing a very good 2 year starter at QB. Elder is in good shape at QB with 4 options really. I think many schools would die for Elder's stockpile of QBs. You forgot to mention Brass in competition at QB. He was the JV starter last year and had a good season. He was listed as 6'1" 190 on the JV Basketball roster. Schachleiter was listed as 6'0" 173. Schoster listed as 6'4" 195 on the baseball roster. Reuter listed as 5'10" 200 on last year football roster. My initial thought is Ramsey will utilize at least 2 QBs regularly, possibly 3 since all these kids and bring different things to the table at QB. If someone emerges as the sole guy, then that will be pretty exciting for Elder fans meaning someone stepped in front of the pack of a talented group and must be very good.

The JV team was very good last season, and that is a good sign for the next 2 Elder football seasons.

It's a wildcard only in the sense they are replacing a very good 2 year starter at QB. Elder is in good shape at QB with 4 options really. I think many schools would die for Elder's stockpile of QBs. You forgot to mention Brass in competition at QB. He was the JV starter last year and had a good season. He was listed as 6'1" 190 on the JV Basketball roster. Schachleiter was listed as 6'0" 173. Schoster listed as 6'4" 195 on the baseball roster. Reuter listed as 5'10" 200 on last year football roster. My initial thought is Ramsey will utilize at least 2 QBs regularly, possibly 3 since all these kids and bring different things to the table at QB. If someone emerges as the sole guy, then that will be pretty exciting for Elder fans meaning someone stepped in front of the pack of a talented group and must be very good.

The JV team was very good last season, and that is a good sign for the next 2 Elder football seasons.
What do you mean utilize? Using one as a Wildcat isn’t the same as rotating QBs. You can’t rotate QBs, that dynamic NEVER works.

When has anyone ever played 3 quarterbacks?

I remember Springboro bringing their freshmen and JV teams The Pit, I think maybe 2 years ago, for unscheduled games at the end of the season. I remember them having a lot of size on both lines and really good speed at the skill positions. I remember talking to one of their parents at the time and they said some of the kids playing in the freshmen game had seen some varsity playing time. Unless they lost some of those players since then they are going to be very good. I don’t think they would schedule Elder if they didn’t think they had a good chance to beat them.

And if Elder “utilizes” three QBs this season it is going to be a very long year. I don’t see Ramsey going that route on the varsity level.

When has anyone ever played 3 quarterbacks?

I can't think of any right now. I think a case could be made for Elder to utilize at times(not rotate) 3 based on different skill sets. Schoster(true drop back passer, also tallest of the group), Reuter(senior with Varsity experience, shorter, offers leadership, running, and passing ability), Brass/Schachleiter juniors to be with good run/pass combination. Again, utilize based on defense they are going against and game situation, not a planned rotation.

I remember Springboro bringing their freshmen and JV teams The Pit, I think maybe 2 years ago, for unscheduled games at the end of the season. I remember them having a lot of size on both lines and really good speed at the skill positions. I remember talking to one of their parents at the time and they said some of the kids playing in the freshmen game had seen some varsity playing time. Unless they lost some of those players since then they are going to be very good. I don’t think they would schedule Elder if they didn’t think they had a good chance to beat them.

And if Elder “utilizes” three QBs this season it is going to be a very long year. I don’t see Ramsey going that route on the varsity level.

I agree that Springboro likely has a good team to agree to play Elder. Your memory is correct. Elder JV beat Springboro 28-14 and Springboro Frosh beat Elder Frosh 24-12 in 2020.

Bc it’s essentially the same thing. No, you pick one guy to be your QB and hope it works. If you have 2 QBs, you really have none. It’s cliched, but true.

You probably have to go back to 2015 with Peyton Ramsey the last time Elder only "utilized" 1 QB.

Elder will not Rotate, utilize whatever you want to call it 3 QB’s unless absolutely forced. If forced it will be a super long year! Elder O Line should be the cream of the crop. The James’ are O Line guru’s so I expect top level play from every Elder lineman. Ramsey will see what happens at QB in Camp and pick one and go with him as long as he possibly can. I want to start seeing some fast, hard hitting Defense from Elder.

Elder will not Rotate, utilize whatever you want to call it 3 QB’s unless absolutely forced. If forced it will be a super long year! Elder O Line should be the cream of the crop. The James’ are O Line guru’s so I expect top level play from every Elder lineman. Ramsey will see what happens at QB in Camp and pick one and go with him as long as he possibly can. I want to start seeing some fast, hard hitting Defense from Elder.

We will see. I do agree they will have 1 "starter", but I do think you will see more than 1 QB take snaps in the game.

Just taking a complete guess, it would not surprise me to see Ramsey wanting to get back to a QB that can pass, but also run for over a 1,000 yards like Ramsey, Bittner, and Luebbe did. That is probably why people think Reuter would be the leading candidate to lead the offense this year.

Did all three of those guys run for 1,000 yards in a season? That would surprise me, except for Luebbe as he had a few games of close to or over 200.

Love your optimism.
The current seniors were very good across the board in all sports as sophomores, including football. The current juniors were also very good in football last year. I know you can't look at that as your only reason for Varsity success, but they're certainly capable.

I think a lot of people look at last year's team, expecting them to be better than they were. So in looking to this year, there aren't as many big names returning as there were last year with guys like Hambleton and Ramsey and Harp, so it's like people are assuming they won't be as good. The schedule is tough, but it's tough every year. I think people saying 5-5 will be a good season is selling them short. 5-5 shouldn't be the bar for a school like Elder.

The current seniors were very good across the board in all sports as sophomores, including football. The current juniors were also very good in football last year. I know you can't look at that as your only reason for Varsity success, but they're certainly capable.

I think a lot of people look at last year's team, expecting them to be better than they were. So in looking to this year, there aren't as many big names returning as there were last year with guys like Hambleton and Ramsey and Harp, so it's like people are assuming they won't be as good. The schedule is tough, but it's tough every year. I think people saying 5-5 will be a good season is selling them short. 5-5 shouldn't be the bar for a school like Elder.
I agree entirely. I think last year, they probably maxed out at 6-6 with the bad OL play, significant injuries, and tough schedule. 5-5 is a possibility this season, but it would be hard to not consider that a let down.

I think a lot of people, including myself, wonder who will be their playmaker on Offense. Re has more straight line speed than Ramsey, but he’s not the complete athlete that Ramsey was. Flowers has big play ability, but he got dinged up playing both ways, and Elder really needs his speed in the Secondary. Maybe play Arnold both ways and let him use his athletic ability?

Last edited:
As odd as this sounds for an Elder team, I think the defense could be the strength of the team this year. The offense won’t have to put up as many points to get the win as they have had to do in past years.

Last edited:
As odd as this sounds for an Elder team, I think the defense could be the strength of the team this year. The offense won’t have to put up as many points to get the win as they have had to do in past years.
The front 7 and Safeties will be solid. Gutenkust and Flowers are extremely underrated imo, because they’re not D1 prospects. However, they’re flat out studs at the HS level.

Corners are a big concern, especially with Cam Williams deciding to focus on bball.

Last edited:
Will the line allow Elder to have a relatively consistent running game this year? Obviously their QB runs, but I always thought they under-utilized their RBs, at least for a change of pace. I think more balance can actually help them hit more downfield throws, especially to Re who can get behind anyone.

Will the line allow Elder to have a relatively consistent running game this year? Obviously their QB runs, but I always thought they under-utilized their RBs, at least for a change of pace. I think more balance can actually help them hit more downfield throws, especially to Re who can get behind anyone.
I think the OL will be drastically improved over last year. Both of the projected starting Tackles, in Schorsch and Soph James will have D1 potential. Bass & Sr James have experience and will be able to play somewhere in college. I don’t want to single anyone out, but you can’t have kids that are barely or even under 200 lbs playing OL at this level, it just can’t happen. I don’t care how sound fundamentally a player is, no amount of technique will make up for a 50-75 lbs difference when going up vs a DL.

Elder hasn’t really had a true stud at RB since Schroer’s Jr year a decade ago. They’ve had some productive players at the position, but none who could just dominate a game like Schroer when he was healthy.

I hope you're right. That would be a welcome sight. Not that I don't enjoy offense, but in recent years if the offense isn't at least threatening to score on every possession then it's a good bet the result is a loss.

I hope you're right. That would be a welcome sight. Not that I don't enjoy offense, but in recent years if the offense isn't at least threatening to score on every possession then it's a good bet the result is a loss.
It won’t matter how good they are at the 9 other positions, if the Corners can’t hold their own in Man Cvg every once in a while. I’m not very optimistic on that position at this point.

Regardless, there’s no such thing as a shutdown Defense anymore. Defenses are always going to be more “bend but don’t break.” The key, especially in HS, is keeping them out of the endzone when they reach the Red Zone.

I think and hope your right. The Offense will need the support of a stout D, especially early in the season.

A little off topic, but what did Drew Ramsey, Ben Hambleton, Brogan Mcaugney from X decide to do college wise? Any of them playing college football or just going to live the college life and hang up the helmet?