2022 Elder Football

Moeller is going to be loaded with talent and speed for the next 2-3 years. IMHO coaching could be the weakness at Moe that gives St X and Elder a chance. Their coaches aren’t horrible but they are a step or two below both St X and Elder. But again that’s just my opinion.
Their late season run was impressive. Felt like the staff got the team to buy in after the OT win over Ignatius.

Moeller's playoff run last year was impressive beating an excellent Lakota West team to make the final four, then losing a tight one to Springfield by 1. I think Moeller coaching staff is doing just fine. The big concern for Moeller is who will be QB. That can make or break any team.

Moeller's playoff run last year was impressive beating an excellent Lakota West team to make the final four, then losing a tight one to Springfield by 1. I think Moeller coaching staff is doing just fine. The big concern for Moeller is who will be QB. That can make or break any team.
Agree with all of this. I’m pretty sure Moeller has more Coaches on Staff with some level of Collegiate Coaching experience than Elder does.

Bold predictions for the season

Cov cath W
PC W
Springboro W
ST Eds L
Lou St X L
X W
Moe L
Indy Roncalli L
Indy Chatard W
Lasalle W

6-4. Honestly, I don't know how many "easy" wins are on the schedule? I gave a split with the 2 Indy teams. Almost every game should be a toss-up type game. Away at St Eds is a tall order. Louisville X is always good, but it's at the pit. Lets hear your predictions.

Cov cath W
PC W
Springboro W
ST Eds L
Lou St X L
X W
Moe L
Indy Roncalli L
Indy Chatard W
Lasalle W

6-4. Honestly, I don't know how many "easy" wins are on the schedule? I gave a split with the 2 Indy teams. Almost every game should be a toss-up type game. Away at St Eds is a tall order. Louisville X is always good, but it's at the pit. Lets hear your predictions.
I think that’s probably about right. IMO, they’ll be a better team overall compared to last yr, even if the record is only marginally better. I think they’re a yr away from being a real threat to contend for a state title.

Cov cath W
PC W
Springboro W
ST Eds L
Lou St X L
X W
Moe L
Indy Roncalli L
Indy Chatard W
Lasalle W

I see 6-4 or 4-6. Possibly 5-5. This is a very tough Schedule. Only have to Win a few Games to make Playoffs though? 6-4 probably get a Home Playoff Game?

I would think Cov Cath and 'Boro are the only games they SHOULD win. Eds will be very tough and a likely loss.

All of these others are toss-ups with Elder slight favorite against Lou St X, the two Indy teams and LaSalle.

6-4 Best Case / 4-6 Worst Case - either way they'll be more than prepared for the playoffs.

I would think Cov Cath and 'Boro are the only games they SHOULD win. Eds will be very tough and a likely loss.

All of these others are toss-ups with Elder slight favorite against Lou St X, the two Indy teams and LaSalle.

6-4 Best Case / 4-6 Worst Case - either way they'll be more than prepared for the playoffs.
GCL Games as I’m sure you know are usually a toss up. From what I remember Elder has always faired pretty well against Chatard.

GCL Games as I’m sure you know are usually a toss up. From what I remember Elder has always faired pretty well against Chatard.
I think Moe is the pre-season number 1 in the GCL. Elder and X are close but I'd give a slight edge to X. LaSalle distant 4th.

In saying all that, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 3 way tie honestly. They'll beat up on each other.

2-1 (Moe loses to X)
2-1 (X loses to Elder)
2-1 (Elder loses to Moe)
0-3 (LaSalle loses to everyone)

Cov cath W
PC W
Springboro W
ST Eds L
Lou St X L
X W
Moe L
Indy Roncalli L
Indy Chatard W
Lasalle W

I think Elder beats Lou X at home this year. They really should have won last year on the road. I think this is the most solid schedule Elder has ever had. Not toughest, but solid as in good, comparable teams to Elder. A very tough schedule(not the toughest).

I think Elder beats Lou X at home this year. They really should have won last year on the road. I think this is the most solid schedule Elder has ever had. Not toughest, but solid as in good, comparable teams to Elder. A very tough schedule(not the toughest).
2011 will always be the toughest schedule. Imagine playing Trinity-Eds-Miami Central-X-Moe consecutively.

I think Springboro is going to be better than everyone thinks. Is that a home game? I’m also not sure who Elder’s QB will be this year, the transfer from Walnut Hills? If so how good do we expect him to be? Hopefully with a year of coaching from Ramsey under his belt he will come in at a high level.

I think Springboro is going to be better than everyone thinks. Is that a home game? I’m also not sure who Elder’s QB will be this year, the transfer from Walnut Hills? If so how good do we expect him to be? Hopefully with a year of coaching from Ramsey under his belt he will come in at a high level.

I haven't heard anything, but I wonder if Shoster will be the primary passing QB with Reuter taking on a lot of Drew Ramsey's role from last 2 seasons. You also have junior Brass who had a very good JV season and junior Schachleiter who is talented also.

I think Ramsey will be able to get whoever they decide on up to speed quickly, but early on probably some learning curves for the new varsity QB.

Springboro is normally respectable, usually around .500, but if Elder struggles with them, they're in for a long year with the schedule they have. Same with Cov Cath - they should beat both pretty easily.

They have some good options at QB. The WH transfer probably has the edge bc he’s actually played varsity football. Ironically, he was WH’s Starting QB 2 years ago when they played Elder.

Springboro is normally respectable, usually around .500, but if Elder struggles with them, they're in for a long year with the schedule they have. Same with Cov Cath - they should beat both pretty easily.
I agree, if Elder struggles with Springboro it could be a really long season. As far as the former Walnut QB, seems like don’t even hear about him being in the Running for Elder QB but hear a lot about the QB’s coming up.

I agree, if Elder struggles with Springboro it could be a really long season. As far as the former Walnut QB, seems like don’t even hear about him being in the Running for Elder QB but hear a lot about the QB’s coming up.
I’ve heard he could take Ramsey’s spot in the Offense, but I’d also believe he was in contention to be starting QB. Of the 3 realistic options, he’s the best runner, and we know Ramsey likes mobile QBs.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but this senior class has been overlooked for most of their time at Elder. I think they could wind up being a lot like the 2012 (class of '13) team that lost to Colerain in OT up at Nippert in the Regional Semifinal. That team took some lumps throughout the season, but by the end they had won 5-6 straight going into the playoffs and really had a great chance to knock out Colerain and make the Regional Final.

The seniors always had the Hambleton/Ramsey class ahead of them, and now a lot of people are looking to the younger depth of the sophomore and junior classes in starting roles. Overall though, if this team can hang on with some of these tough early games and arrive to GCL play at 4-2 or even 5-1, they should be in really good position to host and make some noise come playoff time.

That team had two D1 linemen, two college WRs and a stud RB in Schroer. They were a legit state contender. I don’t see the same talent level as that this year. But I do agree that they should have a good season.

That team had two D1 linemen, two college WRs and a stud RB in Schroer. They were a legit state contender. I don’t see the same talent level as that this year. But I do agree that they should have a good season.
Sure after the fact. They were not considered a legit state contender until after their run of wins to end the season. Even then not many gave them a chance to beat Colerain. Marsh was a 3rd OT his Junior season. Ramstetter was a baseball player who didn't make the decision to play football in college until after the football season. Schroer didn't take regular snaps as a Sophomore. Going in, there were a lot of unknowns surrounding that team in the summer before the season.

On an individual scale, they may not have the same talent on the OL, nor do they have any players in WR Corp like Mazza or Ramstetter, but there's no reason this team can't finish around 7-3, 6-4 with a home playoff game.

Last edited:
7-3 is very lofty with that schedule.

If they go 7-3, they can win the whole thing, but I don't see the talent on the roster to do that compared to the talent I know they're going to face on their schedule.

7-3 is very lofty with that schedule.

If they go 7-3, they can win the whole thing, but I don't see the talent on the roster to do that compared to the talent I know they're going to face on their schedule.
I agree, but like I said maybe I'm overly optimistic. I think Pick Central and Lou St X are winnable games being they're both at home. So if they go:
Cov Cath - W
Pick Central - W
Springboro - W
St Edward - L
Lou St X - W

Then why can't they finish 3-2 against X at home, LaSalle at home and Chatted at home, Moeller at UC and one true road game in Roncalli?

Pick Central will re-load, they are still the cream of the crop in terms of talent in the Columbus area. Eds is the best program in the state, and Moe has too much speed. I think that's 3 you can pencil (not pen) in as likely losses.

They'd have to play perfect football the rest of the way. And while I think they can beat everyone else on their schedule, I don't see them going 7-0. I think 6-4 is their ceiling in the regular season - and I think that would be very respectable. More than likely 5-5.

Sure after the fact. They were not considered a legit state contender until after their run of wins to end the season. Even then not many gave them a chance to beat Colerain. Marsh was a 3rd OT his Junior season. Ramstetter was a baseball player who didn't make the decision to play football in college until after the football season. Schroer didn't take regular snaps as a Sophomore. Going in, there were a lot of unknowns surrounding that team in the summer before the season.

On an individual scale, they may not have the same talent on the OL, nor do they have any players in WR Corp like Mazza or Ramstetter, but there's no reason this team can't finish around 7-3, 6-4 with a home playoff game.
There’s a pretty big talent gap on Offense when comparing those teams. The biggest disparity is at RB, where Schroer was just dominant the last half of the season. He had a very rare combination of speed & power. I think Meier or Flowers can have good seasons, but they aren’t going to be the workhorse Schroer was.

This current OL might have 2 D1 Tackles bw Schorsch and Soph James, but we really don’t know yet. The ‘12 OL was already pretty well experienced with Hilvert, Schroer, and Marsh.

At WR, Re has elite speed, but he’s not the complete WR that Ramstetter was. For all intents and purposes, Mazza was the #2 WR and he ended up being Elder’s all time leader in receptions. I do believe Mirus will be a very solid player.

QB is a big wildcard. I think Moore is possibly the most underrated Elder QB in recent memory. His stats weren’t eye popping, but he was playing hurt the entire last half of the season, and by then Schroer had become the focal point of the offense. I’m guessing the QB competition is bw Reuter, Schoster, and Schacleiter. I think all 3 have the potential to be very productive QBs in Elder’s Offense.

Pick Central will re-load, they are still the cream of the crop in terms of talent in the Columbus area. Eds is the best program in the state, and Moe has too much speed. I think that's 3 you can pencil (not pen) in as likely losses.

They'd have to play perfect football the rest of the way. And while I think they can beat everyone else on their schedule, I don't see them going 7-0. I think 6-4 is their ceiling in the regular season - and I think that would be very respectable. More than likely 5-5.
I tend to agree, but PC did lose a lot of talent that you just don’t replace no matter how deep your program’s talent pool. Sonny Styles might very well end up in the 2 Deep at Ohio St this season, when he was supposed to be a Sr in HS. That’s insane, you don’t just replace a player like that. PC also runs an incredibly outdated Offense that limits their skill talent. Who the hell lines up in the I Formation in modern football? Do they even do that at the Varsity level in the GCYL?

What has always separated Pick Central is their size, especially on the D line. They grind you to death.

They literally win games 24-10 where they feel like they just dominate people. They have a ton of those type of guys in their program and it's very hard for teams to match that over an entire game. I do agree that they have too much talent to run that outdated offense.

What has always separated Pick Central is their size, especially on the D line. They grind you to death.

They literally win games 24-10 where they feel like they just dominate people. They have a ton of those type of guys in their program and it's very hard for teams to match that over an entire game. I do agree that they have too much talent to run that outdated offense.
Elder was very much in that game last year, and missed on several key opportunities to take the lead in the 2nd Half. As I recall it was 14-10 going into the 4th Qtr and Elder recovered a fumble deep in PC territory, but ended up turning the ball over themselves.

I think this year’s game depends on how Elder’s OL handles PC’s DL. Last yr, the Elder OL got flat out embarrassed, and gave up 6 sacks with a lot more pressures. There’s too much experience & talent on this OL to get whipped like that again. People forget, Schorsch started as a Freshman on Varsity for Oak Hills. He’s getting D1 looks and should really help protect the blindside for whomever ends up at QB.