2022 Elder Football

Elder really needs to get a win over Eds next year at the Pit. It's getting old having to chalk this game up as a loss every year. Unfortunately, I think they're going to get beat pretty soundly going up there this season.
They're just always so much more talented than almost everyone they play. I agree it's getting old but they're really tough year in and year out.

They're just always so much more talented than almost everyone they play. I agree it's getting old but they're really tough year in and year out.
I agree, but next yr Elder should have comparable talent and the game will be at the Pit. I know last yr that didn’t matter at all, but the talent disparity was massive.

I agree, but next yr Elder should have comparable talent and the game will be at the Pit. I know last yr that didn’t matter at all, but the talent disparity was massive.

Not in the skill positions. The defensive front 6/7 and offensive line should be comparable.

Not in the skill positions. The defensive front 6/7 and offensive line should be comparable.
Elder can plug in any decent route runner into the Offense and they’re going to be productive. Also, Boeing has the potential to be another stud TE.

Their most prized recruit is a 2024 6'7 320 lb tackle as well as the skill positions and LBs.

Ryan Day is a frequent visitor every year for a reason. No one in Ohio has consistent caliber talent as St Eds.

I would argue Elder has better talent in the skill positions this year than looking ahead to next year. I'm thinking of Re, Flowers, Gutekunst, Browne(if you consider TE a skill position).
Flowers & Gutenkust are studs, but Safeties don’t have that big of an impact. Plus, there’s quality Safeties in the Jr class, particularly Zach Lyons’ brother.

Their most prized recruit is a 2024 6'7 320 lb tackle as well as the skill positions and LBs.

Ryan Day is a frequent visitor every year for a reason. No one in Ohio has consistent caliber talent as St Eds.
Consistently, no. That’s why Elder needs to get that win next year.

You act like it’s absurd, that in one particular yr, they could matchup. They should’ve beaten Eds in ‘18 and they played them tough in Cleveland in ‘19.
Yeah, with far better teams.

I think you're going to see a pretty big talent gap this year (and next year) with Eds. They are going to be really good again and Elder doesn't have the talent of those '18 and '19 teams.

Elder can plug in any decent route runner into the Offense and they’re going to be productive. Also, Boeing has the potential to be another stud TE.

Not against a team that lock down corners and LBs that can fly. Admittedly, I really don't keep up with Ed's this early so I don't know what they have in the soph./junior classes. If it's not a usual Ed's team, then sure they could compete.

Yes, I'm aware Boeing is has potential at TE. He should be dressing as a sophomore and practicing up I would guess.

That's one player out of 11/12. Overall, Elder should be strong on the lines next year and at LB(and much improved this year). Whole point is they SHOULD(key word should) be able to stop the run as well as run the ball/protect the QB. 2 very important things to winning games that they could not do last year against good teams.

If Elder can't stop the run this year, then they need to a new defensive scheme. They have the players this year and next year.

If Elder can't stop the run this year, then they need to a new defensive scheme. They have the players this year and next year.
Without a massive upgrade in speed/athleticism, it won't matter. Lack of consistent speed and size in the LB core is what kills them, not scheme. Sounds like they have upgraded this year at the LB spot.

Without a massive upgrade in speed/athleticism, it won't matter. Lack of consistent speed in the LB core is what kills them, not scheme.

They have 2 big inside linebackers that are very athletic and have the size in Dugan and Arnold. They also have Horenschmeyer back who did well last year who also has size and can run for a LB, and they have Volkerding who is strong and can play. LB is not the issue.

There is no excuse for not stopping the run this year. They have the players to do it. These are the type of Linebackers X seems to produce year in and year out that are key to their defense. Elder also has a stud nose tackle and 2 returning DT that started last year. Similarly, X always has an excellent NG and DE that are big, quick, and rush the QB. Elder has all this so if they can't stop the run then the design is to blame.

Come again? To St. Ed's?

Elder offensive line is much improved over last year and on paper should be very good next year too. We all know the success Elder has had when they have a talented offensive line.

I haven't seen an updated roster, but the two tackles are about 280, and the guards are like 260, 270. Only the center is undersized, but he is taller and gets the snaps back every time.

Without a massive upgrade in speed/athleticism, it won't matter. Lack of consistent speed and size in the LB core is what kills them, not scheme. Sounds like they have upgraded this year at the LB spot.
They have a few Sophs with good speed in Harmeling and Shavers. I’m not sure either play up on Varsity this yr, but both should be starting somewhere as JRs.

And speaking of LB, they have one of the best in the country in the class of ‘25 in Maddox Arnold. He could legitimately be a stud at LB & RB. Dugan doesn’t have that elite speed, but he’s a lot faster than people give him credit for.

Elder offensive line is much improved over last year and on paper should be very good next year too. We all know the success Elder has had when they have a talented offensive line.

I haven't seen an updated roster, but the two tackles are about 280, and the guards are like 260, 270. Only the center is undersized, but he is taller and gets the snaps back every time.
Last yr was just brutal. I was worried for Hambleton at times bc he took some absolute nasty hits where the Defender had a clear shot at him unblocked.

This yr, you’ve got at least 1, if not 2, legitimate D1 prospects on the Line and you bring back your best OL from last yr in the Sr James.

This yr, you’ve got at least 1, if not 2, legitimate D1 prospects on the Line and you bring back your best OL from last yr in the Sr James.

Of the 5 starters at this point, I think only Schorsch has the height/size for D1. James probably an inch or two too short, but maybe a D1 program will give him a shot. The rest either don't have the height or size. There might be others 2nd on the depth chart with the size/projected size, but not ready yet to start.

Of the 5 starters at this point, I think only Schorsch has the height/size for D1. James probably an inch or two too short, but maybe a D1 program will give him a shot. The rest either don't have the height or size. There might be others 2nd on the depth chart with the size/projected size, but not ready yet to start.
The Soph James was who I was talking about.

I don't he's starting Varsity yet. We'll find out tomorrow though. The oline should be huge next year.
I’m not writing this year’s team off by any stretch, but realistically I’m hoping to see the seeds planted this year for a big season in ‘23. The Jr class isn’t loaded with D1 players, but they’re really deep and have a lot of quality HS players.

I was not impressed with the offensive line, but they did look a little better in the 2nd quarter. Defensive front did not get a lot of pressure on their quarterback, but they look pretty good stopping the run. Saw a lot of dropped balls, but one of the quarterbacks looked real good. Does Elder even have a running back?

I was not impressed with the offensive line, but they did look a little better in the 2nd quarter. Defensive front did not get a lot of pressure on their quarterback, but they look pretty good stopping the run. Saw a lot of dropped balls, but one of the quarterbacks looked real good. Does Elder even have a running back?
Meier should be the RB. If they can’t get him going, they need to consider getting Arnold some touches at RB. He’s their best athlete, just give him the ball and let him work.

Was the QB you’re referencing the taller or shorter of the two?

Last edited: