2022 Division VI Poll Voting Discussion (Week 4)

1. Kirtland
2. Marion Local
3. Fort Frye
4. CCC-Impressive win over Salem
5. Brookfield-Only loss against Ursuline
6. Carey
7. Versailles
8. Mogadore
9. Crestview
10. Dalton
11. Hopewell-Loudon
12. Colonel Crawford

1. Kirtland
2. Marion Local
3. Fort Frye
6. Carey
7. Versailles
8. Mogadore
9. Crestview
10. Dalton
11. Hopewell-Loudon
12. Colonel Crawford
Brookfield has no business being in the top 12 let alone 5th! That might be one of the worse schedules in the state!

2022 Brookfield Football (3-1)

8/18 Ursuline (3-1) 14-52
8/26 Springfield (0-4) 27-14
9/2 Western Reserve (1-3) 47-3
9/9 Liberty (0-4) 47-6
9/16 Campbell Memorial (1-3
9/23 Crestview (Columbiana) (1-3)
9/30 Newton Falls (1-3)
10/7 LaBrae (0-4)
10/14 Garfield (3-1)
10/21 Champion (2-2)

Last edited:
Brookfield has no business being in the top 12 let alone 5th! That might be one of the worse schedules in the state!

2022 Brookfield Football (3-1)

8/18 Ursuline (3-1) 14-52
8/26 Springfield (0-4) 27-14
9/2 Western Reserve (1-3) 47-3
9/9 Liberty (0-4) 47-6
9/16 Campbell Memorial (1-3
9/23 Crestview (Columbiana) (1-3)
9/30 Newton Falls (1-3)
10/7 LaBrae (0-4)
10/14 Garfield (3-1)
10/21 Champion (2-2)
I don't know many D-VI teams that play a D-III State Championship contender though. Can you name any D-VI teams that play a D-III or higher title contender.

I don't know many D-VI teams that play a D-III State Championship contender though. Can you name any D-VI teams that play a D-III or higher title contender.
It may become more likely in the future with more teams making the playoffs. Marion Local did beat Wapakoneta this year who is also a good D3 team but likely not at Ursuline's level.

It may become more likely in the future with more teams making the playoffs. Marion Local did beat Wapakoneta this year who is also a good D3 team but likely not at Ursuline's level.
Wapakoneta is a good team, probably in the 10-15 range. Ursuline would easily handle them. There is a big difference between teams like Chardon, Ursuline, Badin compared to Wapakoneta. Marion Local wouldn't beat Ursuline 99% of the time, they would need the stars to allign perfectly to win.

Don’t know about Marion Local losing to Ursuline 99% of the time and needing the stars aligning in order fir ML to get a w. Wasn’t one of ML’s state titles vs Ursuline?

Brookfield may be a legit Top 10 for DVI but:
* Their 3 w’s are vs teams with a combined 1-11 record
* Yes they step up & scheduled a top DIII team in Ursuline but they lost by 38 pts. Maybe the game was close fir a while & it just got out of hand in the 2nd half - I did not see the game so I do not know.

Let the season play out & I’m sure Brookfield will have an opportunity to prove they are a Top DVI team in the playoffs on the field.

Don’t know about Marion Local losing to Ursuline 99% of the time and needing the stars aligning in order fir ML to get a w. Wasn’t one of ML’s state titles vs Ursuline?

Brookfield may be a legit Top 10 for DVI but:
* Their 3 w’s are vs teams with a combined 1-11 record
* Yes they step up & scheduled a top DIII team in Ursuline but they lost by 38 pts. Maybe the game was close fir a while & it just got out of hand in the 2nd half - I did not see the game so I do not know.

Let the season play out & I’m sure Brookfield will have an opportunity to prove they are a Top DVI team in the playoffs on the field.
Marion Local may have had a state title against Ursuline or beat Ursuline in the playoffs previously but that was when Ursuline was D-V or D-VI not D-III. It is hard to compare to previous seasons especially since Ursuline has a much larger enrollment than it did in years past. And is also getting a lot of the better players in the Youngstown area, which hasn't always been the case either. So in my book it is a night and day comparison. I have no rooting interest for any team in D-VI btw.

Marion Local may have had a state title against Ursuline or beat Ursuline in the playoffs previously but that was when Ursuline was D-V or D-VI not D-III. It is hard to compare to previous seasons especially since Ursuline has a much larger enrollment than it did in years past. And is also getting a lot of the better players in the Youngstown area, which hasn't always been the case either. So in my book it is a night and day comparison. I have no rooting interest for any team in D-VI btw.
What is Ursulines enrollment? Competitive balance? Just seems odd that they would have enough of an increase in enrollment from 2007 to 2022 to shift from DV to DIII with the addition of DVII during that time. Especially since they played Coldwater in DV something like 3 of the next 4 years in DV as well after 2007.

What is Ursulines enrollment? Competitive balance? Just seems odd that they would have enough of an increase in enrollment from 2007 to 2022 to shift from DV to DIII with the addition of DVII during that time. Especially since they played Coldwater in DV something like 3 of the next 4 years in DV as well after 2007.
They are up to D-III partly based off of competitive balance but mostly due to actual enrollment, as their non-adjusted number is not that different from normal D-III schools.
Basically everyone stopped attending Mooney because the South side of town is not safe anymore, so Ursuline picked up those students as well as some from YCS and others generally in the area. Meanwhile Cardinal Mooney went from D-III to D-V/D-VI type enrollment. So basically they flip-flopped enrollment numbers and Ursuline also has most of the good kids in the Youngstown area where they formerly had to share with Mooney and other Youngstown area schools.

Wapakoneta is a good team, probably in the 10-15 range. Ursuline would easily handle them. There is a big difference between teams like Chardon, Ursuline, Badin compared to Wapakoneta. Marion Local wouldn't beat Ursuline 99% of the time, they would need the stars to allign perfectly to win.
Here is a video of that 1% chance. Ursuline had several D - 1 recruited players on that team including Jamel Turner who as a soph. had a scholarship offer to OSU:

Here is a video of that 1% chance. Ursuline had several D - 1 recruited players on that team including Jamel Turner who as a soph. had a scholarship offer to OSU:
Fellow peewee league conference foe of the hayseeds from msml also stunned a nationally ranked Youngstown team when they failed to squeeze the schlarman.

But back to this year. Will this be Brookfields first title?

I remember that game they had like .05% chance winning according to “everyone” going in. System and coaching can do magnificent things in hs football……..

Probably whatever they want it to be.😉

Back to these rankings. I have no problem with anyone putting Kirtland #1 and I'm a MSML homer. One thing we discovered is that Kirtland is always a very well conditioned team. Through the three meetings between Kirtland and MSML, the Flyers have outscored Kirtland in the first half of those games by a total of 40-16....and yet Kirtland holds a 2-1 edge over the Flyers. They are always a tough team to put away and they put up a fight to the final second. Would love to see them match again and hopefully the Flyers can tie it up at 2-2.

Fellow peewee league conference foe of the hayseeds from msml also stunned a nationally ranked Youngstown team when they failed to squeeze the schlarman.

But back to this year. Will this be Brookfields first title?
Brookfield won AA in 1978
For you OSU fans they had a linebacker by the name of Marcus Marek. I believe I read that he still holds the record for most tackles as a Buckeye

Back to these rankings. I have no problem with anyone putting Kirtland #1 and I'm a MSML homer. One thing we discovered is that Kirtland is always a very well conditioned team. Through the three meetings between Kirtland and MSML, the Flyers have outscored Kirtland in the first half of those games by a total of 40-16....and yet Kirtland holds a 2-1 edge over the Flyers. They are always a tough team to put away and they put up a fight to the final second. Would love to see them match again and hopefully the Flyers can tie it up at 2-2.
.........and to complete this circle Ursuline had a big 2nd half lead to Kirtland in the playoffs 10 years ago only to lose 38-37

Thanks. Get by the Hornets and they should get their second. MSML lost way too much and are down this year so they won't be an obstacle.
Brookfield won AA in 1978
For you OSU fans they had a linebacker by the name of Marcus Marek. I believe I read that he still holds the record for most tackles as a Bu

You will regret saying this about Brookfield, Cyclone! Warror nation!!!!!:devilish:
Happy Cheer GIF by Minions

We've also found out that when you blitz as much as the Flyers do against a team that is just as conditioned, our 6' 160 lb linebackers and 6'3" 200 lb lineman can't wear down their consistently 300 lb across the board line. Every now and then you'll see one of our scrappy linebackers stand up one of their D1 recruit lineman and shove them into the backfield but more often then not it was a stalemate which is a win for Kirtland because that's their style of play. The one year the Flyers blew out Kirtland the Flyers actually had all 200 lb plus linebackers and 250 lb plus lineman. Otherwise their losses were 16-7 and 22-20. Against a team like Kirtland coaching will only get you so far since they're just as well coached. Every now and again you need the horses.

1. Kirtland
2. Marion Local
3. Fort Frye
6. Carey
7. Versailles
8. Mogadore
9. Crestview
10. Dalton
11. Hopewell-Loudon
12. Colonel Crawford
Brookfield, Mogadore, and Dalton can interchangeably hold 8-10. Put them in whatever order you like. I just don’t see them beating the other 7 head to head at the moment. Crestview should get top 5 considerations.

But yeah… after #1 and #2 you could just make up words to fill it out. Keeping an eye on FF though…

We've also found out that when you blitz as much as the Flyers do against a team that is just as conditioned, our 6' 160 lb linebackers and 6'3" 200 lb lineman can't wear down their consistently 300 lb across the board line. Every now and then you'll see one of our scrappy linebackers stand up one of their D1 recruit lineman and shove them into the backfield but more often then not it was a stalemate which is a win for Kirtland because that's their style of play. The one year the Flyers blew out Kirtland the Flyers actually had all 200 lb plus linebackers and 250 lb plus lineman. Otherwise their losses were 16-7 and 22-20. Against a team like Kirtland coaching will only get you so far since they're just as well coached. Every now and again you need the horses.

That's an accurate statement. When MSML meets Kirtland it comes down to the "horses" that each team has that particular year, because the coaching, self-belief, intangibles, conditioning and everything else is a stalemate.

Probably should point out also that Kirtland doesn't have monstrous brutes like that every year. If you think back to the 4 years MSML/Kirtland were in the same division previously, each team came away with an even split in state titles, 2 titles each. In 2016 Cuyahoga knocked Kirtland out before MSML had a chance to get them.

Last edited:
Probably should point out also that Kirtland doesn't monstrous brutes like that every year. If you think back to the 4 years MSML/Kirtland were in the same division previously, each team came away with an even split in state titles, 2 titles each. In 2016 Cuyahoga knocked Kirtland out before MSML had a chance to get them.
No, but for some reason they do breed huge o lineman more often then not. Must be in the water 😉

At this moment in time I would take Marion over every D3 school in the State. Only concern I would have is Marion's ability
to score against the top teams. Defensively best I've seen in quite a long time.

At this moment in time I would take Marion over every D3 school in the State. Only concern I would have is Marion's ability
to score against the top teams. Defensively best I've seen in quite a long time.
Well we won't know until they play. Until then it is just speculation.

I don't know. I seem to remember MSML getting hammered by a very average D3 Watterson team a few years ago. Watterson didn't even qualify for the playoffs, mainly because they didn't beat one team with a winning record except MSML. MSML did win the D7 state title that year.

I don't know. I seem to remember MSML getting hammered by a very average D3 Watterson team a few years ago. Watterson didn't even qualify for the playoffs, mainly because they didn't beat one team with a winning record except MSML. MSML did win the D7 state title that year.

Marion started a bunch of fresh faces that year. It was a tough road trip for them. Sloppiest game I've seen MSML play. They had a 90+ yard td called back early in the 1st quarter which set the tone. Just shot themselves in the foot over and over. They had trouble stopping the passing attack of Watterson also. MSML managed to outgain Watterson on the ground however. The game likely would have played out much differently later in the year. MSML did beat the D6 champs Anna that year, who steamrolled everyone else including that NMS team in the finals who had Brungard at qb. But that was 2019. I believe Cavfan was talking about the 2022 Marion Local squad, who already beat a solid D3 Wapak team. We won't know how good Wapak is until the D3 playoffs. This year's Marion Loacl team would have handled that 2019 Watterson team with ease. But I agree the talk about Marion Local beating all teams in D3 this year is not to be taken seriously yet. Still have to play New Bremen, Coldwater and Versailles.

Last edited: