2022 Division II Poll Voting Discussion (Week 6)

Do you rank LaSalle top 10? Undoubtedly bad record but they probably have the toughest schedule in D2 and are there really 9 teams in the division you would pick to beat them? I would say WW and Hoban for sure and probably Kings and Massillon. But outside of those 4 would anyone else be the favorite against LaSalle?

Do you rank LaSalle top 10? Undoubtedly bad record but they probably have the toughest schedule in D2 and are there really 9 teams in the division you would pick to beat them? I would say WW and Hoban for sure and probably Kings and Massillon. But outside of those 4 would anyone else be the favorite against LaSalle?
I personally wouldn’t rank them in the top 19 because they have been losing. I don’t think there are many D2 teams that can beat them but we didn’t choose their schedule. I hope they are able to win a few more games and play WW in the playoffs.

1-Archbishop Hoban
2-Massillon
3-Winton Woods
4-Toledo Central Catholic
5-Avon
6-Medina Highland
7-Austintown Fitch
8-Kings
9-Riverside
10-Walsh Jesuit

1. Hoban
2. Winton Woods
3. Massillon
4. Toledo central catholic
5. Avon
6. Highland
7. Kings
8. Riverside
9. Walsh Jesuit
10. Big Walnut

Last edited:
It is a three horse race between Hoban, Winton Woods, and Massillon. I still think Hoban and Winton Woods are the two best teams but have to give Massillon some credit for their win over St Eds.

It is a three horse race between Hoban, Winton Woods, and Massillon. I still think Hoban and Winton Woods are the two best teams but have to give Massillon some credit for their win over St Eds.
TCC and Avon are really good, they'll battle it out in R6 and would be a handful for any of those 3. TCC lost to Ed's at the gun in Lakewood.

My usual:
1. Hoban
2. WW/Massillon
4. Avon
5. TCC
Others: Highland, Kings, Walsh, Fitch, Riverside

They might be good but WW and Hoban are on a whole different level.
I'm not disputing Hoban and WW are a tier above, but on a single night in a one game situation, TCC and Avon are more than capable of pushing them. Green pushed WW to the brink in the state semis last year.

Hoban really didn't show a whole different level this week based on score an opponent. Is there more to that story? Looked like someone can match them up.
It was as sloppy a game as you'll see a really good Hoban offense play, definitely weren't all there mentally after being super sharp vs Ignatius the week before. Committed a ton of penalties that killed drives, and easily left about 20 points on the field - lost a fumble inside the 5, missed an easy TD throw inside the 5 before half and came away empty, missed a really short FG and 3 PAT's. Walsh's final TD also came on a 35 yard heave on the last play of the game.

I personally wouldn’t rank them in the top 19 because they have been losing. I don’t think there are many D2 teams that can beat them but we didn’t choose their schedule. I hope they are able to win a few more games and play WW in the playoffs.
Do you rank WW above Hoban?

1. Archbishop Hoban
2. Massillon
3. Central Catholic
4. Winton Woods
5. Fitch
6. Avon
7. Highland
8. Kings
9. Riverside
10. Hudson
11. Lake
12. Avon Lake
13. Walsh Jesuit
14. Olmsted Falls

No and yes there are 15 teams in D2 that could beat them.

I think D2 may be the toughest division competition wise this year. Top 10-15 schools have strong teams. Do not see Hoban as a sure finalist either. Great team but stiff competition through the playoffs.

I think D2 may be the toughest division competition wise this year. Top 10-15 schools have strong teams. Do not see Hoban as a sure finalist either. Great team but stiff competition through the playoffs.
I disagree. I am 100% certain the D2 state champ will be one of 3 teams. R8 champ, Hoban or Massillon. Can one of these 3 get knocked off…. Sure! Will all 3 get knocked off?? 0 chance. Now I’m not saying there aren’t strong teams. I’m sure there are but I just don’t believe anyone outside these 3 teams have a chance to win it all

I disagree. I am 100% certain the D2 state champ will be one of 3 teams. R8 champ, Hoban or Massillon. Can one of these 3 get knocked off…. Sure! Will all 3 get knocked off?? 0 chance. Now I’m not saying there aren’t strong teams. I’m sure there are but I just don’t believe anyone outside these 3 teams have a chance to win it all
100%….. 0 chance…… that’s pretty certain on your part. I guess we can look back on this and see if you are correct in about 9 weeks time.

100%….. 0 chance…… that’s pretty certain on your part. I guess we can look back on this and see if you are correct in about 9 weeks time.
since D1 was cut to 64 teams in 2012 the R8 champion or Hoban have literally won every state title. Prior to that I believe the R8 champ won it every year other than 1 dating back to 2006 ( Trotwood, Anderson, WW). I am certain because 15 years of history says that will be the outcome. Anything can happen but I haven’t seen anything to lead me to believe this year will be any different. My team (LaSalle) will be lucky to make the playoffs but if I were a betting man WW, Massillon and Hoban would be the only teams I’d touch

since D1 was cut to 64 teams in 2012 the R8 champion or Hoban have literally won every state title. Prior to that I believe the R8 champ won it every year other than 1 dating back to 2006 ( Trotwood, Anderson, WW). I am certain because 15 years of history says that will be the outcome. Anything can happen but I haven’t seen anything to lead me to believe this year will be any different. My team (LaSalle) will be lucky to make the playoffs but if I were a betting man WW, Massillon and Hoban would be the only teams I’d touch
Fair…… I guess my argument is that Div 2 has been the least competitive in all divisions for a long time. I see many teams this year that are very tough and running through an extended playoff will be a whole lot more difficult than years past.

Fair…… I guess my argument is that Div 2 has been the least competitive in all divisions for a long time. I see many teams this year that are very tough and running through an extended playoff will be a whole lot more difficult than years past.
You could be right. And to be completely honest I’ve only seen a couple D2 teams play this year. I’m basing my opinion strictly on history

Hoban
Massillon
WW
Kings
TCC
Avon
Highland
Hudson
Riverside
Walsh

Whichever team loses the WW/Kings game this week is going to fall pretty far in my poll due to their extra soft scheduling, although they are likely to rematch in the regional championship.

D2 has some absolutely dominant forces spread throughout the state, and at least two next-level teams in every region but 7. It would surprise me to see anyone but Massillon come out of that region, which is part of why I've now placed the Tigers second.

Hoban
Massillon
WW
Kings
TCC
Avon
Highland
Hudson
Riverside
Walsh

Whichever team loses the WW/Kings game this week is going to fall pretty far in my poll due to their extra soft scheduling, although they are likely to rematch in the regional championship.

D2 has some absolutely dominant forces spread throughout the state, and at least two next-level teams in every region but 7. It would surprise me to see anyone but Massillon come out of that region, which is part of why I've now placed the Tigers second.
In believe the ECC going to a 9 game conference schedule hurts both WW and Kings. It hinders them from scheduling and additional 1 or 2 challenging games. It probably hurts WW a little more, as to prior to joining the ECC they were independent and scheduled many of the best D1 teams in Ohio (Moeller, Elder, St Eds and Upper Arlington), along with D2 power LaSalle. Having seen both Hoban and WW in person, I think both teams are much better at QB this year and are both really physical. I think Hoban is probably a little more focused right now, as WW seems to be coasting a little and turn it on when they are ready. All I know is starting week 12 everybody is going to have to bring their best or risk going home.

Wow you think so?
This year I do but it’s only based on scores. I have zero knowledge around why they’re losing games (or losing games by a wide margin) they didn’t since their state champ run started. IMO there’s 4 teams that can win it and another 2 that have a puncher’s chance. Then another 10 good teams that could beat each other on a given night. I’d put LaSalle in the 3rd group.

This year I do but it’s only based on scores. I have zero knowledge around why they’re losing games (or losing games by a wide margin) they didn’t since their state champ run started. IMO there’s 4 teams that can win it and another 2 that have a puncher’s chance. Then another 10 good teams that could beat each other on a given night. I’d put LaSalle in the 3rd group.
That is a fair assessment. Defense is good not great but definitely good enough to win. Offense is a train wreck. But I think part of that is they have played a string of pretty good teams. All that being said outside the few elite teams in the division I’d still say they would be favored against most D2 teams in the state. Hopefully they can come up with a win down the stretch and we can find out! Unfortunately for us we probably draw WW week 1 if we make it anyway

In 2008 Sylvania Southview won D2 and in 2010 Maple Heights did the same, they both came from region 6

In 2008 Sylvania Southview won D2 and in 2010 Maple Heights did the same, they both came from region 6
Oh ok my mistake. Every year other than 2! 13 out of 15 and 11 straight is still enough history that until I see something different happen I’m taking R8 Champ or Hoban. The exception being Massillon because they have been right in the mix lately.

Oh ok my mistake. Every year other than 2! 13 out of 15 and 11 straight is still enough history that until I see something different happen I’m taking R8 Champ or Hoban. The exception being Massillon because they have been right in the mix lately.
Toledo Central Catholic was D3 from 2013-2018 and is the best team most years in northwest Ohio. In 2012 they lost by 4 to TM in the finals. Avon is another team in Region 6 who is always tough to beat and could finally break through at some point.

Last season Hoban beat Avon by 7 in the semis and WW beat Green by 13. In 2020 Hoban beat Avon by 14 and Massillon beat LaSalle by 4 in the semis. In 2019 Avon and Central were in different regions and both made the semis before falling to LaSalle and Massillon. I get believing those couple of schools and R8 are the favorites I just don’t see a gap big enough to guarantee Hoban, R8, or Massillon win it.