2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

My bet … given what I know now … 6 games, but the NFL will file a grievance … and Roger will up it to 8 to 10 games

My bet … given what I know now … 6 games, but the NFL will file a grievance … and Roger will up it to 8 to 10 games

If Roger does something like a full season, the NFLPA will stand firm against it. After all, the judge was part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. What would be the use of her employment, if he can do whatever he wants against he findings and conclusions? But, 8-10 might be in order, since he wants the people to believe that the NFL has moral authority. If he just accepts the decision and people know he could have added, he'll have a PR mess.

No matter what happens, the attorney for the women will make sure that they do not settle, but go to court. This will keep his cause but, more importantly, his name in the public eye.

Rizzo tweets that a reliable source says 4-6 game suspension for Watson. I think it's still too early to tell.

an attorney from yesterday:

His whole argument was based on proceedings in civil/criminal court. Threw out some big words to make himself sound smart. Threw out the 6th Amendment which doesn’t apply. Just talks in circles

If Roger does something like a full season, the NFLPA will stand firm against it. After all, the judge was part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. What would be the use of her employment, if he can do whatever he wants against he findings and conclusions? But, 8-10 might be in order, since he wants the people to believe that the NFL has moral authority. If he just accepts the decision and people know he could have added, he'll have a PR mess.

No matter what happens, the attorney for the women will make sure that they do not settle, but go to court. This will keep his cause but, more importantly, his name in the public eye.
NFLPA literally has no legs to stand on if Roger suspends him for whatever…they signed the collective bargaining agreement

NFLPA literally has no legs to stand on if Roger suspends him for whatever…they signed the collective bargaining agreement
I agree with this currently … but if Roger over plays in hand and bumps a say 6 game suspension to an indefinite suspension … the players will go crazy & do everything in their power in the next contract to take all power away from him … that why I could see him bumping the suspension up a couple games but not go nuclear with it.

I agree with this currently … but if Roger over plays in hand and bumps a say 6 game suspension to an indefinite suspension … the players will go crazy & do everything in their power in the next contract to take all power away from him … that why I could see him bumping the suspension up a couple games but not go nuclear with it.

If he does an indefinite suspension, he has told everyone that the judge was useless and that he is the ultimate judge and jury in the NFL. This will demonstrate that the hearings were a sham. But, he would be very popular with women's groups and will get favorable coverage from the talking heads on television.

I think old Roger lives with the decision of the judge. Otherwise, the system loses what little credibility it has. It also potentially gives him an out/scapegoat.

If he does an indefinite suspension, he has told everyone that the judge was useless and that he is the ultimate judge and jury in the NFL. This will demonstrate that the hearings were a sham. But, he would be very popular with women's groups and will get favorable coverage from the talking heads on television.
Exactly, why is she there if he can override her decision?

Is she there strictly for show?

Exactly, why is she there if he can override her decision?

Is she there strictly for show?
Pretty much.
The current CBA runs through 2030. Doubt Roger gives those discussions much thought since it won’t be his worry then.

Hoping for a Watson announcement today. A Friday news dump would be a good way for the NFL to get it out there and let it percolate over a summer weekend.

Buzbee will draw this out as long as he can, searching for anything or suddenly producing new " victims." The longer it goes on, the longer his name is in the news. Like the male version of Gloria Allred.

Buzbee will draw this out as long as he can, searching for anything or suddenly producing new " victims." The longer it goes on, the longer his name is in the news. Like the male version of Gloria Allred.
Buzbee praised the Texans for settling quickly and suggested Watson’s legal team should have done the same instead of dragging it out and subjecting Watson to so much bad PR.

There is a big difference, in that Watson knows he’s subject to possibly losing his career while the Texans know they just need the story to go away and were never in grave danger of NFL sanctions or doing prison time. Plus…and this still comes into play if Watson takes the NFL to real court…the Texans don’t want embarrassing emails and texts among their organization’s brass being revealed in open court.

............................................. Plus…and this still comes into play if Watson takes the NFL to real court…the Texans don’t want embarrassing emails and texts among their organization’s brass being revealed in open court.

If the Texans knew about the claims and did nothing, that would just mean they are in for disciplinary actions by the NFL, but doesn't really help Watson, in fact; just the opposite. What would be the legal argument? The Texans knew I was abusing women and took no action or worse aided in covering it up?

If the Texans knew about the claims and did nothing, that would just mean they are in for disciplinary actions by the NFL, but doesn't really help Watson, in fact; just the opposite. What would be the legal argument? The Texans knew I was abusing women and took no action or worse aided in covering it up?
There could be embarrassing things found in the communications that have nothing to do with Watson, but could prove very embarrassing to the Texans and NFL if they were leaked, or exposed in court. I believe that’s how the remarks that got Jon Gruden fired were exposed.

The Texans were well aware of what was up. A Texans employee gave him the NDA to use with the women. They even paid for the hotel membership for the place it all went down. The settlement was all about getting them out from under the controversy as quickly as possible.

If the suspension is less than indefinite or for the season, there will be an outcry of outrage that football has rarely heard ( if ever). Unless she has a very detailed explanation and reveals the reasons for her decision, look for the commissioner, pressured by women's groups and sports talking heads, to really add to the number. Will this end up in court? I wouldn't be surprised.

Whatever the outcome may be, Deshaun Watson & the Cleveland Browns have no right to blame “women’s groups or sports talking heads”. Watson put himself in this situation by going to 66 massage therapist in a 18 month period and the Browns knowingly & willingly put themselves at the mercy of any potential suspension fir this season.

Watson & the Browns are getting is exactly what they signed up for.

Last edited:
If the suspension is less than indefinite or for the season, there will be an outcry of outrage that football has rarely heard ( if ever). Unless she has a very detailed explanation and reveals the reasons for her decision, look for the commissioner, pressured by women's groups and sports talking heads, to really add to the number. Will this end up in court? I wouldn't be surprised.
Some think that since she is a woman she will come down hard on tWatson.

I think it will be the other way around. I have seen women of power, in professions mostly dealing with men, take a much tougher stance against the women and I think she will see through the BS money grab and hand out a light sentence.

Another note: If Watson ends up incurring the full-year suspension the #NFL is seeking - either from the arbitrator or a league appeal of Robinson’s decision - I’m told his camp and the NFLPA have already made the decision to file a lawsuit against the league in federal court.
I thought the whole point of an independent arbitrator was that both sides agree to abide by the ruling??

Whatever the outcome may be, Deshaun Watson & the Cleveland Browns have no right to blame “women’s groups or sports talking heads”. Watson put himself in this situation by going to 66 massage therapist in a 18 month period and the Browns knowingly & willingly put themselves at the mercy of any potential suspension fir this season.

Watson & the Browns are getting is exactly what they signed up for.
At worst, he's a criminal deviant. At best, he's demonstrated horrifically bad judgment. In either case, he's not the type of guy you'd want as the face of your franchise, let alone someone you'd mortgage your future on..

I have to feel that she knows exactly what she will do right now, but is crafting her written decision in legalese to avoid too much backlash either way.

Watson should be thrown iut of the league. Headfirst!!!
Why? He's been convicted of nothing. Today's report said 2-8 games, because of a clause in the CBA which holds the owners to higher standards. They suffered nothing when doing the same things.

In terms of Watson suing….Tom Brady finally dropped his case with the NFL having the upper hand at the time. That involved air pressure. Don’t see the actual civil courts to overturn whatever the league comes up with.