2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

I’m torn on this one … what Watson has reportedly done … with the extremely high number of women … really does call for a longer suspension … but his argument against a longer suspension is also solid … the NFL has not been as harsh in previous cases … especially the owners … so in this respect it hard to see a longer suspension … I feel for this ”judge” … no matter which way she goes … there will be a large portion of the population upset.

I’m torn on this one … what Watson has reportedly done … with the extremely high number of women … really does call for a longer suspension … but his argument against a longer suspension is also solid … the NFL has not been as harsh in previous cases … especially the owners … so in this respect it hard to see a longer suspension … I feel for this ”judge” … no matter which way she goes … there will be a large portion of the population upset.
If a court of law refused prosecution how is he guilty? Bad judgment and he likes sex. The NFL only cares about money. Is morality now part of the game? Lol

So this lady magistrate can either take a rational view of this case, or she can go full on Woke, Me Too, Cancel Culture with it.

Let’s see what happens.

A law professor and sports attorney said today on 92.3 that a very high powered attorney, Jeffrey Keller, is now on the Watson team, which means that Watson will probably sue the NFL if the suspension is excessive.
He should focus on suing the NFLPA for entering into a CBA with such an awful damn disciplinary process.

So this lady magistrate can either take a rational view of this case, or she can go full on Woke, Me Too, Cancel Culture with it.

Let’s see what happens.
She's a 70 year old former Bush appointee. I'm not worried too much about Me Too or Woke with her.

If a court of law refused prosecution how is he guilty? Bad judgment and he likes sex. The NFL only cares about money. Is morality now part of the game? Lol
I never said he was … but in business, perception does count … in any business, if the perception about an employee hurts business it can cost the employee his job … the NFL is no different … not that I think he will be “fired” … but suspension, yea … and significant

I never said he was … but in business, perception does count … in any business, if the perception about an employee hurts business it can cost the employee his job … the NFL is no different … not that I think he will be “fired” … but suspension, yea … and significant
Everything is always about the money.

but...but....but...Jimmy and Dee told us their team had thoroughly investigated it all...

One thing I will give them credit for is that they saw he'd likely be gone for a year. You can see it in how the contract was scheduled.

We'll see what not playing a real game from January 3, 2021 to September of 2023 can do to a QB.

Watson’s agent should get the credit for structuring the contract because he will lost little in salary if he is suspended, not the Haslam’s/Browns. Yes, Watson only counts fir $10 mil against the cap in 2022 but it jumps to $54.9 per in years 2 thru 5. The Browns have $42 mil in cap space for 2022 but beginning next year they will be in bad cap shape with just Watson’s, Garrett, Ward, Chubb & Cooper’s contracts alone.

Are you folks paying attention to this story? The word leaking out is Watson will likely be playing this season at some point. The NFL’s case is apparently very weak.

So does anyone understand this headline?

Does this mean that if Robinson gives out a 6 game suspension, the NFL can say, "Nope, that's not enough, we are adding to it"?

I thought the way it worked was she handed out the suspension, and if a player appeals, it can possibly be reduced.

If that is not the case, then why is she even part of the process?

So does anyone understand this headline?

Does this mean that if Robinson gives out a 6 game suspension, the NFL can say, "Nope, that's not enough, we are adding to it"?

I thought the way it worked was she handed out the suspension, and if a player appeals, it can possibly be reduced.

If that is not the case, then why is she even part of the process?
Here's how I understand the process:

If Judge Robinson decides Watson did NOT violate the CBA and does not recommend a suspension, the NFL cannot appeal.

If either side doesn't agree with the length of suspension handed out by Robinson, they can appeal. For example, if Robinson comes down with a suspension of eight games, the NFL could appeal and ask for a full season. On the other hand if Watson is unhappy with the length, e.g. a year or more, then he can appeal the decision.

If this isn't screwed up enough, if it reaches the appeal stage, the appeal would be heard by Roger Goodell or someone he appoints.

Whoever was at the table and negotiated this mess must have been drunk and unaware of the basic concepts of due process.

Here's how I understand the process:

If Judge Robinson decides Watson did NOT violate the CBA and does not recommend a suspension, the NFL cannot appeal.

If either side doesn't agree with the length of suspension handed out by Robinson, they can appeal. For example, if Robinson comes down with a suspension of eight games, the NFL could appeal and ask for a full season. On the other hand if Watson is unhappy with the length, e.g. a year or more, then he can appeal the decision.

If this isn't screwed up enough, if it reaches the appeal stage, the appeal would be heard by Roger Goodell or someone he appoints.

Whoever was at the table and negotiated this mess must have been drunk and unaware of the basic concepts of due process.
So it’s a fustercluck

Watson’s agent should get the credit for structuring the contract because he will lost little in salary if he is suspended, not the Haslam’s/Browns. Yes, Watson only counts fir $10 mil against the cap in 2022 but it jumps to $54.9 per in years 2 thru 5. The Browns have $42 mil in cap space for 2022 but beginning next year they will be in bad cap shape with just Watson’s, Garrett, Ward, Chubb & Cooper’s contracts alone.
This is said to be a reason the NFL’s pushing for the indefinite suspension.

The year one salary is irrelevant. As Goodell said many months ago, the CBA allows for massive fines to be levied…so the first year salary makes no difference. They can fine him 20 mil if they want.

I really do think it's more that the NFL needs to look like its tough against abuse of women. They have taken much criticism previously, so this is their way of trying to make up for previous cases. In the days of #MeToo, the NFL can't afford to alienate the women of America. That's why they are pushing for a long suspension, not that they are standing up voluntarily.

I really do think it's more that the NFL needs to look like its tough against abuse of women. They have taken much criticism previously, so this is their way of trying to make up for previous cases. In the days of #MeToo, the NFL can't afford to alienate the women of America. That's why they are pushing for a long suspension, not that they are standing up voluntarily.
Except whatever the suspension is won't be enough for the Woke, MeToo, Cancel Culture Nazis.