2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

Art was an idiot that underestimated the Jacobs brothers. He was offered a place in the Gateway Project, sharing a 72k seat domed stadium with the Indians on an equal footing, instead of the deal he had with Cleveland as the Indians slumlord at an 82k seat house he was filling every game. Sure, it was a falling apart WPA project built trying to land the 1936 Olympics, and we piszed in troughs, but Art didn't mind. I guess I didn't care too much either. Maybe he thought he was going to save the the old Central Market ?

A smarter man might have considered that Gordon Gund was running out of propetry tax abatement in Richfield, right ? I think Richfield got one year of taxes on the old Coliseum, and then the Cavs were downtown. So Art was jealous, now. Brand new digs for the Cavs and Tribe, poor Art. So he took out variable rate loans, solo, to remodel old Municipal Stadium. Costs went over, rates went up, and Art went shopping for a better deal to bail his dumb asz out.

I think Lerner got a pass because they wanted to build back on the same spot. (Not that we could have popped another team on the field anything more than a season sooner) Stupid on so many levels, but cheap. The Millers and Ratners pretty much had Mike White in their pockets, so if the City bought more land they expected it to be some of theirs. Too bad that they didn't see Art coming and buy Black Oxide and the container yard. The Browns would be playing there now, and something cool would be on the lakefront that everyone could enjoy year 'round, some pricey condos too, stuff like that. No doubt Lerner was in-the-know the whole time watching, and who knows what the Browns outcome would have been without him. I sure wish that he hadn't been second bidder to the Dolans for the Indians.
Has any city ever mismanaged a valuable asset more than the City of Cleveland has mismanaged the lakefront?

If Cleveland was smart, we would be hearing of a project to build a facility off of downtown like USBank in Minneapolis or Lucas Oil in Indy as the future home of the Browns…and huge conventions…Final 4’s…Super Bowl…Big Ten championship football games…a Rock and Roll HOF Bowl game…an occasional neutral site Notre Dame or Ohio State football game, etc., while razing the current stadium and developing that land and the Burke airport property as a beautiful multi-use lakefront that would become the cities signature feature.

If Cleveland was smart, we would be hearing of a project to build a facility off of downtown like USBank in Minneapolis or Lucas Oil in Indy as the future home of the Browns…and huge conventions…Final 4’s…Super Bowl…Big Ten championship football games…a Rock and Roll HOF Bowl game…an occasional neutral site Notre Dame or Ohio State football game, etc., while razing the current stadium and developing that land and the Burke airport property as a beautiful multi-use lakefront that would become the cities signature feature.
A retractable dome. SoFi on steroids. Grab a bunch of that COVID cash that's just sitting there, and build it.

Are you really going to make those poor CLE CEOs and their visitors drive all that way out 90E to Lost Nation A/P ?

Joe Thomas says Baker overplayed his hand, MKC says he was never offered big $ at all. I hate to say it but I think MKC is right. It'd fit the Haslam management style:

I think both are part right … BM did overplay his hand … by insisting on being traded … if he would have kept his mouth shut (every hard for BM) … he would be the QB for the Browns right now … I also agree with MKC … Baker was not officially offered a new contract, this year … but my bet they had discussion last year that centered around 30M a year.

I think both are part right … BM did overplay his hand … by insisting on being traded … if he would have kept his mouth shut (every hard for BM) … he would be the QB for the Browns right now … I also agree with MKC … Baker was not officially offered a new contract, this year … but my bet they had discussion last year that centered around 30M a year.
MKC might be being too literal. But the Haslams are not loyal. Everyone from Hoyer to Hue to Baker has said so. They tell you to do a job (even tank patient zero Hue) and then when you're done they fire you. Everyone leaves hating the organization.

MKC might be being too literal. But the Haslams are not loyal. Everyone from Hoyer to Hue to Baker has said so. They tell you to do a job (even tank patient zero Hue) and then when you're done they fire you. Everyone leaves hating the organization.
Which one of those … Hoyer, Hue, and Baker should they have been loyal to? … Could each have been treated better, maybe … all of them deserved to be moved on from … and pro sports is about winning … not loyalty … and anyone who brings up Hue and loyalty in the same sentence must be joking … Hue was the King of throwing others under the bus!!!!!!!!

1648572910290.png

Hoyer got pissed because he took it on the chin from the organization, the press, and the fans for not wanting to tutor Manziel. The truth was revealed that Manziel never studied the playbook and was not serious about his job.

Which one of those … Hoyer, Hue, and Baker should they have been loyal to? … Could each have been treated better, maybe … all of them deserved to be moved on from … and pro sports is about winning … not loyalty … and anyone who brings up Hue and loyalty in the same sentence must be joking … Hue was the King of throwing others under the bus!!!!!!!!
How about the guy that saw his girlfriend get run over on I-90 that they immediately cut? "It's just a business" ... the Steelers kept Ryan Shazier on the roster. They sure have a lot more success than we do, although maybe not lately.