2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

Matt Ryan ?
It’s not that funny. A more reliable QB like him, really only him out of the realistic options (no to Jimmy G), could get the Browns over the hump while they still have Garrett, Chubb, etc and the “window” open.

Now that Rodgers got his money, I would be on the phone with him and the Packers trying to get him to CLE. He literally has no receivers left in GB and Davante Adams leaving for LV kills them.

It’s not that funny. A more reliable QB like him, really only him out of the realistic options (no to Jimmy G), could get the Browns over the hump while they still have Garrett, Chubb, etc and the “window” open.

Now that Rodgers got his money, I would be on the phone with him and the Packers trying to get him to CLE. He literally has no receivers left in GB and Davante Adams leaving for LV kills them.
You need a ten year franchise QB, not an over the hill one year experiment that'll be lucky to make it through the season.

Rodgers? ? now I know your being funny. Hes not leaving GB, never was and if he did it certainly wouldnt be to Cleveland.

You need a ten year franchise QB, not an over the hill one year experiment that'll be lucky to make it through the season.

Rodgers? ? now I know your being funny. Hes not leaving GB, never was and if he did it certainly wouldnt be to Cleveland.
Rodgers probably won’t leave GB, but I would still make an effort. The big thing about him pressuring GB was to get the money he wanted. Now that he’s got the money he might be more receptive to a trade. Doubtful, yes, but GB did draft his replacement a couple years back.

This is the modern NFL with shorter windows of contention and shorter rebuilds. A decade-plus franchise QB is optimal, but Baker isn’t it…like Goff wasn’t it..,so the next best thing is to get a vet that can get you a championship now. Ryan is more reliable than Baker.

No way, no how, not even a thought rolling around in Rodgers' mind that Cleveland might be somewhere to play football. If Baker ends up holding out until the Browns trade him or give him a new contract, then I would honestly look at Jimmy G as the best option. If Watson should sign with the Falcons or the Saints, then there really isn't much to choose from in terms of replacing him. Its not even a guarantee that Jimmy G would be on the market, but if push comes to shove with Baker that is who I go after, no matter what it might cost (most likely draft picks).

It doesn't matter who Watson signs with, this is your pool of QBs to pick from: Matt Ryan* (Falcons), Jacoby Brissett, Nick Mullens, Josh Dobbs, Marcus Mariota, Chase Daniel, Mike Glennon, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, AJ McCaron* (Falcons), Cam Newton, Trevor Siemien* (Saints), Jameis Winston* ( Saints), Blaine Gabbert, Geno Smith, Jimmy Garrapolo* (SF trade?), Baker Mayfield

Really nothing to choose from if the Baker problem is not resolved.

No way, no how, not even a thought rolling around in Rodgers' mind that Cleveland might be somewhere to play football. If Baker ends up holding out until the Browns trade him or give him a new contract, then I would honestly look at Jimmy G as the best option. If Watson should sign with the Falcons or the Saints, then there really isn't much to choose from in terms of replacing him. Its not even a guarantee that Jimmy G would be on the market, but if push comes to shove with Baker that is who I go after, no matter what it might cost (most likely draft picks).

It doesn't matter who Watson signs with, this is your pool of QBs to pick from: Matt Ryan* (Falcons), Jacoby Brissett, Nick Mullens, Josh Dobbs, Marcus Mariota, Chase Daniel, Mike Glennon, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, AJ McCaron* (Falcons), Cam Newton, Trevor Siemien* (Saints), Jameis Winston* ( Saints), Blaine Gabbert, Geno Smith, Jimmy Garrapolo* (SF trade?), Baker Mayfield

Really nothing to choose from if the Baker problem is not resolved.
I realize getting Rodgers to CLE is not realistic, but I would hope the Browns at least gave it a heck of a try.

Ryan is by far the best choice, IMO, if he becomes available due to Watson going to ATL. If I’m the Browns and I can bring in Ryan to take a shot at contending with this roster for a couple years, goodbye unreliable Baker.

A) Matt Ryan is dust - all but washed up
B) Matt Ryan has a $48M cap hit this year

100% no thank you.

Reactions: y2h
A) Matt Ryan is dust - all but washed up
B) Matt Ryan has a $48M cap hit this year

100% no thank you.
They would restructure his deal and I don’t think he’s washed up. He hasn’t had any help lately. Terrible oline and he keeps losing his receivers. A change of scenery and the Stefanski offense could be just what he needs to max out his last few years.

Cbj5655 - Thank you, finally someone who sees the big picture. Yesterday Ryan extended his $7.5 mil roster bonus for payout today to Tuesday so Watson & the Falcons had more time to decide on what to do. You could extend Ryan’s contract with no guarantee $$$ to reduce his cap hit and I don’t think Ryan would cost much - maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder. I would guess Ryan would be very interested in going to the Browns over staying with the rebuilding Falcons.

Ryan is 37 and has 2 to 3 more years left. Is he still elite? No, but he’s still better than Baker’s best and especially Baker 2021. Could Baker improve/his ceiling be higher than Ryan at 37 or older? Well, that’s the question that I believe those in the Browns organization has pretty much answered - no.

Hey, as a Steelers fan I would 100% prefer to see the Browns keep Baker. Hopefully Baker stays.

I don't get the love for Jimmy G. The guy played for one of the top offensive minds in the NFL and that mind ran his offense around avoiding Jimmy having to make a play and screwing things up. They even drafted a QB recognizing Jimmy is not a decent NFL QB.

At this juncture, they're left with journeymen who can lead you to an 8 or 9 win season at best or making up with Mayfield who's too effing stupid to realize that this season is the most important of his career. His agent should have told him to shut his damn mouth, go out an prove himself and rake in the rewards. Instead, he'll whine his way out of town and solidify his reputation as a child, whine his way through a mediocre season here or not report.

As long as Jimmy Haslam owns this team we should not be surprised with anything.

Is it realistic to shop Baker around somewhere until they can get a first round pick? Maybe a 3 team trade, supposing that Watson is traded to the Falcons.

Falcons receive: Deshaun Watson
Texans receive: (1st Round Pick '22 (ATL), Matt Ryan (ATL), Baker Mayfield (CLE, 1st Round Pick '23 (CLE)
Cleveland receives: Matt Ryan (HOU), 1st Round Pick '23 (HOU)

Falcons end up with their desired QB
Texans end up with a younger QB and another 1st Round Pick for this year and another one for next year
Cleveland ends up with a veteran QB and a gamble on getting a young QB in next year's class to play under Matt Ryan for 2-3 years like the Favre-Rodgers concept

Cbj5655 - Thank you, finally someone who sees the big picture. Yesterday Ryan extended his $7.5 mil roster bonus for payout today to Tuesday so Watson & the Falcons had more time to decide on what to do. You could extend Ryan’s contract with no guarantee $$$ to reduce his cap hit and I don’t think Ryan would cost much - maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder. I would guess Ryan would be very interested in going to the Browns over staying with the rebuilding Falcons.

Ryan is 37 and has 2 to 3 more years left. Is he still elite? No, but he’s still better than Baker’s best and especially Baker 2021. Could Baker improve/his ceiling be higher than Ryan at 37 or older? Well, that’s the question that I believe those in the Browns organization has pretty much answered - no.

Hey, as a Steelers fan I would 100% prefer to see the Browns keep Baker. Hopefully Baker stays.
Me, too, after the way he kicked PBurgh's a*** in the playoffs.

Th
Is it realistic to shop Baker around somewhere until they can get a first round pick? Maybe a 3 team trade, supposing that Watson is traded to the Falcons.

Falcons receive: Deshaun Watson
Texans receive: (1st Round Pick '22 (ATL), Matt Ryan (ATL), Baker Mayfield (CLE, 1st Round Pick '23 (CLE)
Cleveland receives: Matt Ryan (HOU), 1st Round Pick '23 (HOU)

Falcons end up with their desired QB
Texans end up with a younger QB and another 1st Round Pick for this year and another one for next year
Cleveland ends up with a veteran QB and a gamble on getting a young QB in next year's class to play under Matt Ryan for 2-3 years like the Favre-Rodgers concept
That's a nice thought but I think the Texans are content with Davis Mills at QB.

holy crap Watson to the Browns 5 years, $230m fully guaranteed. Interested to see some of the replies in this thread given what has been said the last few days.

Props to the FO for somehow flipping the script and salvaging this situation.

82A8DAA7-0433-4C7B-BC6B-B60A60DA6341.jpeg

Watch Watson be suspended or get injured. Then, the Browns are without picks for the future

3 1st rounders, a 3rd, 4th and 5th. Ouch.

That extra money made cold weather more appealing to him. The extra cash can help settle his civil suits.

holy crap Watson to the Browns 5 years, $230m fully guaranteed. Interested to see some of the replies in this thread given what has been said the last few days.

Props to the FO for somehow flipping the script and salvaging this situation.
They didnt flip anything other than blowing a hole in the cap...Carolina refused to guarantee the 3rd and 4th year, probably a similar sticking point with Atlanta/NO.

Didnt play last year and is going to miss time this year. Who knows what production you'll get out of him when he can play. Also have no idea how he'll handle the weather. Home games in a dome, in the division Indy has a dome and Jacksonville is warm weather.

And then there is the PR nightmare of his personal conduct. If they win itll be swept under the rug but if they struggle...even worse if Baker succeeds in his landing spot.

This team still has holes...you just blew up the draft for the foreseeable future to plug those holes.

After the Wilson trade, you had to expect they were sending a haul. A franchise QB like Watson is probably worth it, honestly

When injured sure..
You Baker fanboys can put whatever spin on it you want. They were going nowhere with him. He sucks. They have a legitimate QB for first time since Bernie Kosar for Christ’s sake and some of you care more about draft picks gtfo It’s win now time and the front office is doing what they can to not waste the roster that they spent the past years building. Glad to see they actually are trying to win a championship.