2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

I don't understand why the national media is so worried about the Browns sitting on Baker. Is there that little NFL news ?

Re-working Watson's deal gives them plenty of cap space to bide their time, right ?

How about the guy that saw his girlfriend get run over on I-90 that they immediately cut? "It's just a business" ... the Steelers kept Ryan Shazier on the roster. They sure have a lot more success than we do, although maybe not lately.
… and the Steelers cut the third stringer when he got in trouble but did nothing to BR when he was having his issues … there is not a team in the NFL that has not compromised their morals based on talent … that is pro sports

Reactions: y2h
I don't understand why the national media is so worried about the Browns sitting on Baker. Is there that little NFL news ?

Re-working Watson's deal gives them plenty of cap space to bide their time, right ?
My bet they will either absorb some of BM contract and then trade him or a low end draft pick … or come to an agreement with BM (like they did with OBJ) then release him.

My bet they will either absorb some of BM contract and then trade him or a low end draft pick … or come to an agreement with BM (like they did with OBJ) then release him.
No rush, though, not for a bad deal.

The only rush is on his part, and that was how he put himself where he is.

Reactions: y2h

Exactly. They can look at it like they are spending $24-25M on QBs this year (Watson- $1M/BM- $19/Brissett- $5). That's not that far out of norm for a team with a top QB on the roster. No need to rush. Maybe the draft wakes up a team or they may have to wait for a QB to go down in training camp.

I agree that there is no rush on the Browns side … will at least wait until after the draft … but on the BM side, I think they will want out as soon as possible … thus be willing to negotiate a contract reduction… IMO … not sure if the Browns want him to be a FA though … my bet not.

Cabez-Per overthecap.com the Browns 2022 cap number on qb’s
* $18.8 mil - Baker Mayfield
* $10.0 mil - Deshaun Watson
* $4.65 mil - Jacoby Brissett
============
* $33.45 mil, team cap is $208.2 mil thus 16.06% of the 2022 cap on the qb position.

Beginning in 2023 thru 2026 Watson will count $54.9 mil each year against the cap or well over 20% of the team cap. No NFL team has won the Super Bowl with a qb earning over 12.5% of the team cap.

Last edited:
I agree that there is no rush on the Browns side … will at least wait until after the draft … but on the BM side, I think they will want out as soon as possible … thus be willing to negotiate a contract reduction… IMO … not sure if the Browns want him to be a FA though … my bet not.
Shanahan runs a solid zone blocking scheme when he wants to, and that works with Baker's inclination to see the field better on the move. Maqybe JG gets hurt.

Cabez-Per overthecap.com the Browns 2022 cap number on qb’s
* $18.8 mil - Baker Mayfield
* $10.0 mil - Deshaun Watson
* $4.65 mil - Jacoby Brissett
============
* $33.45 mil, team cap is $208.2 mil thus 16.06% of the 2022 cap on the qb position.

Beginning in 2023 thru 2026 Watson will count $54.9 mil each year against the cap or well over 20% of the team cap. No NFL team has won the Super Bowl with a qb earning over 12.5% of the team cap.
but I thought I read somewhere that the cap is expected to rise dramatically with the next TV contract, so it wouldn't be such a large % of the cap when that takes placed. And in a few years, the Watson contract won't even look that bad as other QBs eclipse it.

Mcm - The 2022 NFL team salary cap this year is $208.2 mil. Overthecap.com projects it to rise to:

2023 Season - $225 mil (Watson’s $54.9 mil = 24.40% of the team cap)
2024 Season - $256 mil (Watson’s $54.9 mil = $21.45% of the team cap)

Mcm - The 2022 NFL team salary cap this year is $208.2 mil. Overthecap.com projects it to rise to:

thanks for the info...obviously still a pretty significant chunk of the cap...these QB salaries are out of hand

Good info. And wow.

Imagine the locker room is a bit tense when one guy makes 20% of the teams salary, and the other 52 guys average 1.5% of the cap. I know QB is important, but wow.

It's like a fortune 500 CEO working in the call center cubicles. And the CEO is asking the call center employees to take all the hard calls.

Contract like this are usual redone to reduce the cap number …. Much like they reworked Cooper salary this year …. It is still going to be high but not nearly as much as you think … second the cap has rollover from the previous year … which means if they are $10 million under the cap one year that amount gets added to the cap the next year … this is one of the main reasons they want to get BM of the books this year.

Joesports - Currently the Browns are $20.6 mil under the 2022 cap. However, they still have to pay their rookies (shouldn’t be too bad without a 1st rounder) and a possible extension/new contract of cb Denzel Ward may happen this year. Not a lot to roll over but this does show how Baker’s $18.8 mil this year hurts the team.

Yes, the Browns could restructure players contracts to lower the cap in future year and spread it out over more years - ie ‘kick the can down the road’. At some point that does come back to hit you in ‘dead money’ - see the Steelers $20 mil hit this year from Ben Roethlisberger’s contract or the Falcons with over $40 mil for Matt Ryan. In the Browns case, Watson’s deal is 100% guaranteed, only way to reduce his hit is to add ‘dummy years’ to the deal which at some point will eventually hit you like the Falcons & Ryan’s contract. Another big contract for the Browns in 2023 - Miles Garrett 2023 cap hit jumps up to $29 mil ($12.9 in 2022).

For the 2023 season the Browns are already committed to $211.4 mil + $ $7.5 mil in ‘dead money’, thus they have only $6 mil available on a projected team salary cap of $225 mil. This is 28th out of 32 teams.

For the 2024 season the Browns have $190 mil with $65 mil available. This is the lease amount available by any team in the NFL.

I think the Browns window is the next 3 years before severe cap problems. The 2022 season is probably a wash because of the looming 6 to 10 game Watson suspension.

Joesports - Currently the Browns are $20.6 mil under the 2022 cap. However, they still have to pay their rookies (shouldn’t be too bad without a 1st rounder) and a possible extension/new contract of cb Denzel Ward may happen this year. Not a lot to roll over but this does show how Baker’s $18.8 mil this year hurts the team.

Yes, the Browns could restructure players contracts to lower the cap in future year and spread it out over more years - ie ‘kick the can down the road’. At some point that does come back to hit you in ‘dead money’ - see the Steelers $20 mil hit this year from Ben Roethlisberger’s contract or the Falcons with over $40 mil for Matt Ryan. In the Browns case, Watson’s deal is 100% guaranteed, only way to reduce his hit is to add ‘dummy years’ to the deal which at some point will eventually hit you like the Falcons & Ryan’s contract. Another big contract for the Browns in 2023 - Miles Garrett 2023 cap hit jumps up to $29 mil ($12.9 in 2022).

For the 2023 season the Browns are already committed to $211.4 mil + $ $7.5 mil in ‘dead money’, thus they have only $6 mil available on a projected team salary cap of $225 mil. This is 28th out of 32 teams.

For the 2024 season the Browns have $190 mil with $65 mil available. This is the lease amount available by any team in the NFL.

I think the Browns window is the next 3 years before severe cap problems. The 2022 season is probably a wash because of the looming 6 to 10 game Watson suspension.
I still like the Browns chances over the Steelers and their QBs

Joe - The Steelers are in good shape for 2022 even with Trubusky at qb, at worse he plays like Baker did in 2021!

Pittsburgh is in great shape regarding the cap for 2023 with $75.6 mil under, 9th most in the league and 2024 with $162 mil under, 8th most in the league. They also have all of their draft picks for both seasons.

Joe - The Steelers are in good shape for 2022 even with Trubusky at qb, at worse he plays like Baker did in 2021!

Pittsburgh is in great shape regarding the cap for 2023 with $75.6 mil under, 9th most in the league and 2024 with $162 mil under, 8th most in the league. They also have all of their draft picks for both seasons.
True but they’ll need to resign Minkah and Johnson. IMO, they’ll take up a good bit of that $75m next year.

Or maybe Baker wins 3 of 4 and Watson is only out for 4 games.

Orin - absolutely correct, Minka Fitzpatrick’s contract will eat into it - probably $18.5 mil per year for 4 years. I don’t know if Johnson will get an extension.

Cabez - Yea, keep livin the dream! Baker will happily come back and get you 3 or 4 w’s and then gracefully step aside for the Watson experiment. Kareem Hunt got a 8 game suspension, I would think Watson is in that 8-10 game suspension. I think it would be best for the suspension to be announced and get it out of the way, it lingering over the franchise doesn’t help. But, the Browns franchise put itself in this situation.

Last edited:
Orin - absolutely correct, Minka Fitzpatrick’s contract will eat into it - probably $18.5 mil per year for 4 years. I don’t know if Johnson will get an extension.

Cabez - Yea, keep livin the dream! Baker will happily come back and get you 3 or 4 w’s and then gracefully step aside for the Watson experiment. Kareem Hunt got a 8 game suspension, I would think Watson is in that 8-10 game suspension. I think it would be best for the suspension to be announced and get it out of the way, it lingering over the franchise doesn’t help. But, the Browns franchise put itself in this situation.
Kareem Hunt was on video ?‍♂️

Baker will be trying to save his brand. We will see.

See that the problem … they will be too good to get a good draft pick … and not good enough to be a serious contender … stuck in the middle of the pack.

Joe - So how has the tank and hope for a qb savior worked for the Browns? Cleveland drafted Baker but have passed on Mahomes, Watson, Allen in just the last 5 years. The Bengals got lucky and were fortunate enough & to their credit, smart enough to take Burrow. Since 1999 the Browns fans could only wish their team was “stuck in the middle of the pack”.

Of the 12-14 current NFL qb’s who I believe can or has already won a Super Bowl, here is where they were drafted:
*1st pick: Burrow, Stafford, Murray, Lawrence
*1st Rd: Herbert 6th, Allen 7th, Mahomes 10th, Watson 12th, Rodgers 24th, Jackson 32nd
*2nd Rd: Carr
*3rd Rd: Wilson
*4th Rd: Prescott
*6th Rd: Brady

Joe - So how has the tank and hope for a qb savior worked for the Browns? Cleveland drafted Baker but have passed on Mahomes, Watson, Allen in just the last 5 years. The Bengals got lucky and were fortunate enough & to their credit, smart enough to take Burrow. Since 1999 the Browns fans could only wish their team was “stuck in the middle of the pack”.

Of the 12-14 current NFL qb’s who I believe can or has already won a Super Bowl, here is where they were drafted:
*1st pick: Burrow, Stafford, Murray, Lawrence
*1st Rd: Herbert 6th, Allen 7th, Mahomes 10th, Watson 12th, Rodgers 24th, Jackson 32nd
*2nd Rd: Carr
*3rd Rd: Wilson
*4th Rd: Prescott
*6th Rd: Brady
Browns fans understand the difficulties of getting a franchise QB … you don’t just snap your fingers and have an elite QB … and I could give you a list of QB drafted four times longer than those you listed that teams hoped would be their franchise QB … only to flame out … the Steelers could get their franchise QB next year … or spend the next 10 years looking … many teams have … personally I would like to see Trubisky do well … have always been a fan of his … but I just would not hold my breath.

Denzel Ward- 5 years, $105M, $71M guaranteed.

I like Ward and think he is great in coverage but there's no way I can see committing that kind of money and length of contract to a CB so slight of frame that tackles so poorly and gets injured so frequently.

I'd bet Brian calls off work tonight after his celebration tonight.

Denzel Ward- 5 years, $105M, $71M guaranteed.

I like Ward and think he is great in coverage but there's no way I can see committing that kind of money and length of contract to a CB so slight of frame that tackles so poorly and gets injured so frequently.

I'd bet Brian calls off work tonight after his celebration tonight.
Not missed a day of work in 23 years.