2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

So, since 1950, when they joined the NFL, the Browns/Ravens franchise is:

629-478-11
6 league championships (4 NFL/2 Super Bowl)

That’s probably still behind, but in range of the Steelers franchise since 1950.

I know in some perverse re-writing of history the original Browns franchise and expansion Browns are wrongly lumped together as the Cleveland Browns for historical purposes, but the truth is the original Browns franchise has an unbroken history of continuous seasons from 1946 (and starting 1950 in the NFL) through 1995 as the Cleveland Browns and from 1996 to present as the relocated and renamed Baltimore Ravens.

The expansion Browns franchise is its own futile entity, manufactured from whole cloth. It did not exist prior to 1999 and cannot trace its pathetic lineage beyond 1999. Meanwhile, the original lineage of the franchise is still chugging along in Baltimore…thanks to Art Modell and Al Lerner…as one of the NFL’s premier franchises.

The good football fans in Cleveland have been deprived since 1996 of the team that hooked this town and region on football, through no fault of their own, and have been forced to pretend this current crap franchise that calls itself the Browns is somehow the same franchise of Graham, Motley, Brown, Warfield, Sipe, Kosar, etc, when the truth is they cannot trace any DNA back to Paul Brown’s team. That DNA flows through Baltimore since 1996.

May Modell and Lerner both rot in H3LL.
So let me get this straight, the REAL browns are the Ravens? That’s just sad 😂

So let me get this straight, the REAL browns are the Ravens? That’s just sad 😂
It is sad, but it’s the truth. Whatever you want to call them…the original Browns or Ravens…the football franchise founded by Mickey McBride and Paul Brown, which was eventually owned by Art Modell and now Stephen Bisciotti, resides in Baltimore and has been known as the Ravens since 1996. I realize you are from SWO, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to understand.

The NFL can say whatever they want about the old Browns and the new Browns being the same franchise, and saddle the old Browns history with the current Browns history, but the reality is the original franchise started in 1946 now plays in Baltimore and has never missed a season. The expansion Browns were founded out of thin air in 1999.

All the Colts team records and history belong to the same franchise that began as the Baltimore Colts and are now the Indianapolis Colts. The only difference between them and the original Browns/Ravens is the NFL didn’t make the Colts change their name and colors. Not difficult to understand.

................................... The only difference between them and the original Browns/Ravens is the NFL didn’t make the Colts change their name and colors. Not difficult to understand.

NFL didn't make the Browns change the team name; Modell was sued by the Brown season ticket holders and the City of Cleveland, part of the settlement was the Browns franchise retained by the NFL so that new team in Cleveland could use it on a future team

interesting that:
The Maryland stadium authority contract that Modell signed; still listed Cincinnati in a couple of spots because they missed changing Cincinnati to Cleveland in a couple of spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: y2h
It is sad, but it’s the truth. Whatever you want to call them…the original Browns or Ravens…the football franchise founded by Mickey McBride and Paul Brown, which was eventually owned by Art Modell and now Stephen Bisciotti, resides in Baltimore and has been known as the Ravens since 1996. I realize you are from SWO, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to understand.

The NFL can say whatever they want about the old Browns and the new Browns being the same franchise, and saddle the old Browns history with the current Browns history, but the reality is the original franchise started in 1946 now plays in Baltimore and has never missed a season. The expansion Browns were founded out of thin air in 1999.

All the Colts team records and history belong to the same franchise that began as the Baltimore Colts and are now the Indianapolis Colts. The only difference between them and the original Browns/Ravens is the NFL didn’t make the Colts change their name and colors. Not difficult to understand.

You can believe the original Browns are the Ravens all you want but I do not believe in any way, shape or form the Ravens would have had the success they’ve experienced had they stayed in Cleveland. If Model had stayed in Cleveland he would have continued to wine about the stadium and even if Cleveland built one for him, way too much negatively had happen from both sides.

I always said if Roethlisberger had been taken by Cleveland instead of “the soldier”, people wouldn’t be able to distinguish Roethlisberger from Charlie Frye (I liked Frye). You need some luck in life, having good people around you is vital. What Burrow has done in Cincinnati is the extreme exception to the rule.

You can believe the original Browns are the Ravens all you want but I do not believe in any way, shape or form the Ravens would have had the success they’ve experienced had they stayed in Cleveland. If Model had stayed in Cleveland he would have continued to wine about the stadium and even if Cleveland built one for him, way too much negatively had happen from both sides.

I always said if Roethlisberger had been taken by Cleveland instead of “the soldier”, people wouldn’t be able to distinguish Roethlisberger from Charlie Frye (I liked Frye). You need some luck in life, having good people around you is vital. What Burrow has done in Cincinnati is the extreme exception to the rule.
The NFL could have forced Modell to sell. Lerner could have brokered a deal with Ohio instead of Maryland. There was plenty that could have been done to keep the Browns in Cleveland, but nobody did it and the franchise was moved and Cleveland was stuck with the worst of all worlds. A brand new franchise that wasn’t even allowed to carve out its own identity, have its own name, colors, logo, history. This new franchise has been a farce from the beginning. What’s even worse is the NFL penalized Cleveland because Jacksonville and Carolina experienced very early success, so the NFL had the Browns roster created with a different set of rules to ensure garbage was all that would be on the roster.

NFL didn't make the Browns change the team name; Modell was sued by the Brown season ticket holders and the City of Cleveland, part of the settlement was the Browns franchise retained by the NFL so that new team in Cleveland could use it on a future team

interesting that:
The Maryland stadium authority contract that Modell signed; still listed Cincinnati in a couple of spots because they missed changing Cincinnati to Cleveland in a couple of spots.
I know how it happened, but it doesn’t change the fact the exact same franchise that was the Cleveland Browns in 1995 took the field In Baltimore in 1996 as the Ravens. It wasn’t some brand new expansion franchise, with a brand new roster, like the NFL likes to tout in its version of league history.

And I am fully aware Cleveland’s football team is the Browns, but I’m simply venting about what those two scumbags, Modell and Lerner, did to a franchise that was so invested in by its fan base. It’s never been the same since 1995.

So wh don’t y’all root for the Ravens?

So wh don’t y’all root for the Ravens?
I was a Vikings fan before I also started rooting for the Browns, so I don’t need the Ravens. What I need is better decisions from Kirk Cousins in playoff games, but it’s not likely to happen.

The Vikings play at Cincy in 2023. I’ll don the purple and make the trip to the banks of the Ohio.

OK, I have been a Browns fan since 1968. We can agree that is a hell of a long time ago. Other than a few years with Sipe, a few years with Kosar, and 2020, we have had nothing to brag about.

Stop bragging about what happened 60 years ago - it is sad. A real Browns fan would not glom onto the Raven's accomplishments and try to claim them for the Browns. Just stop it. It's sad. We hate the Ravens, almost as much as we hate the Stillers.

The Bengals are our cute little brother, and we normally have handled them pretty well, even when we suck, cause they usually suck too. But they have something going now. I'm kind of hoping our little brother wins it all this year. I'll go back to disliking them next year.

Last edited:
I was a Vikings fan before I also started rooting for the Browns, so I don’t need the Ravens. What I need is better decisions from Kirk Cousins in playoff games, but it’s not likely to happen.

The Vikings play at Cincy in 2023. I’ll don the purple and make the trip to the banks of the Ohio.
Dude, you’re so screwed 😂

OK, I have been a Browns fan since 1968. We can agree that is a hell of a long time ago. Other than a few years with Sipe, a few years with Kosar, and 2020, we have had nothing to brag about.

Stop bragging about what happened 60 years ago - it is sad. A real Browns fan would not glom onto the Raven's accomplishments and try to claim them for the Browns. Just stop it. It's sad. We hate the Ravens, almost as much as we hate the Stillers.

The Bengals are our cute little brother, and we normally have handled them pretty well, even when we suck, cause they usually suck too. But they have something going now. I'm kind of hoping our little brother wins it all this year. I'll go back to disliking them next year.
I’m not glomming onto the Ravens. But I do separate the expansion Browns from the original Browns. To me the only history this expansion team has goes back to 1999 and there has been even less to cheer about than in the 1970s, 80s and 90s, when there were at least a lot of playoff losses to lament.

So, since 1950, when they joined the NFL, the Browns/Ravens franchise is:

629-478-11
6 league championships (4 NFL/2 Super Bowl)

That’s probably still behind, but in range of the Steelers franchise since 1950.

I know in some perverse re-writing of history the original Browns franchise and expansion Browns are wrongly lumped together as the Cleveland Browns for historical purposes, but the truth is the original Browns franchise has an unbroken history of continuous seasons from 1946 (and starting 1950 in the NFL) through 1995 as the Cleveland Browns and from 1996 to present as the relocated and renamed Baltimore Ravens.

The expansion Browns franchise is its own futile entity, manufactured from whole cloth. It did not exist prior to 1999 and cannot trace its pathetic lineage beyond 1999. Meanwhile, the original lineage of the franchise is still chugging along in Baltimore…thanks to Art Modell and Al Lerner…as one of the NFL’s premier franchises.

The good football fans in Cleveland have been deprived since 1996 of the team that hooked this town and region on football, through no fault of their own, and have been forced to pretend this current crap franchise that calls itself the Browns is somehow the same franchise of Graham, Motley, Brown, Warfield, Sipe, Kosar, etc, when the truth is they cannot trace any DNA back to Paul Brown’s team. That DNA flows through Baltimore since 1996.

May Modell and Lerner both rot in H3LL.
It is the same franchise 🤷‍♂️

The Browns never played in Baltimore.

Fricking RAT BIRDS!!!

The NFL could have forced Modell to sell. Lerner could have brokered a deal with Ohio instead of Maryland. There was plenty that could have been done to keep the Browns in Cleveland, but nobody did it and the franchise was moved and Cleveland was stuck with the worst of all worlds. A brand new franchise that wasn’t even allowed to carve out its own identity, have its own name, colors, logo, history. This new franchise has been a farce from the beginning. What’s even worse is the NFL penalized Cleveland because Jacksonville and Carolina experienced very early success, so the NFL had the Browns roster created with a different set of rules to ensure garbage was all that would be on the roster.
If you want to complain about something, complain about the NFL screwing the Browns due to Jax/Carolina success, not the city keeping the name, colors and history.

If the team was a different name, colors and history it would've been moved again by now...no one is showing up to watch a struggling team to which they have no emotional tie.

I agree I've never had the animosity toward Cincy like Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Probably a combination of they've been a struggling franchise like us and a fellow Ohio team.

I felt that way for their run last year. I gotta say KC beating them this year was satisfying as much smack talk as they've been doing, they've gotten way too cocky.

I can't fathom these Browns fans who root on the Bengals. The Bengals are a rival. Their fans hate us and crack on Cleveland all the time. They act like Steelers fans in thinking the NFL title started with the Super Bowl. They think the Browns title in the 64 season doesn't count but the Packers winning SB 1 in 66 counts ....

I'm so glad I don't have to see this bs leading up to the SB like last year. And I'm glad they lost painfully.

Last edited:
I can't fathom these Browns fans who root on the Bengals. The Bengals are a rival. Their fans hate us and crack on Cleveland all the time. They act like Steelers fans in thinking the NFL title started with the Super Bowl. They think the Browns title in the 64 season doesn't count but the Packers winning SB 1 in 66 counts ....

I'm so glad I don't have to see this bs leading up to the SB like last year. And I'm glad they lost painfully.
I would not root for the Bengals, Ravens or Browns in any circumstance unless when playing each other and the outcome would be advantageous to the Steelers. I don’t get fans who have a “second” favorite team. I’ll watch the SB and like KC only because as a Western Pa born fan I’ve always disliked anything from Philly.

I would not root for the Bengals, Ravens or Browns in any circumstance unless when playing each other and the outcome would be advantageous to the Steelers. I don’t get fans who have a “second” favorite team. I’ll watch the SB and like KC only because as a Western Pa born fan I’ve always disliked anything from Philly.
And that's normal. You don't root for rival divisional teams. The people saying Cincy is in Ohio so I'm rooting for them while being Browns fans was making me puke

Someone at cleveland.com decided to provide extensive coverage of the Bengals every day on the sports pages. For the life of me, I have no idea why, but there is almost as much Bengals coverage as there is for the Browns. This certainly can add to some turning to the Bengals, especially younger readers with not as much dedication to the home team ( or resolve to weather yearly disappointment).

Last edited:
My wife is from up in the mountains of central PA. Unlike you jokers from down in Pittsburgh her people say Y'uns instead of Y'ins....I can always tell when she's on the phone with her mother back home "What are Y'uns up to?" I ask her why they don't say Y'all like normal people......she just says that's how they roll in Coalport PA.

Exactly!

I wonder if the Browns were paying attention to the fact that none of the championship game participants played a soft zone and that their defensive lines and linebackers were so physical.

I wonder if the Browns were paying attention to the fact that none of the championship game participants played a soft zone and that their defensive lines and linebackers were so physical.
Schwartz will roll out a D that plays that way, because that’s what he does. No worries there.

The big worry is will Stefanski set aside some of his ego and tailor the offense to Watson’s strengths rather than the system he favors?

Schwartz will roll out a D that plays that way, because that’s what he does. No worries there.

The big worry is will Stefanski set aside some of his ego and tailor the offense to Watson’s strengths rather than the system he favors?
Still need the personnel which has been lighter, faster linemen and backers. You know, the ones who get pushed around the field by the heavier, fiercer opponents. And that was an organizational decision, not just Joe Woods.

My wife is from up in the mountains of central PA. Unlike you jokers from down in Pittsburgh her people say Y'uns instead of Y'ins....I can always tell when she's on the phone with her mother back home "What are Y'uns up to?" I ask her why they don't say Y'all like normal people......she just says that's how they roll in Coalport PA.
I went to college in Huntingdon, Pa, 30 miles south of State College. I’ve heard of Coalport. It’s been awhile but I don’t recall that distinction (Y’uns v. Y’ins) I’ve lived in Cincy over 20 years and Washington state, Tennessee and WV before that but I still catch myself Y’insing once in awhile.

Last edited: