2022 Cincinnati Bengals

I'm venturing into areas of little expertise...

I don't know chit about football and the salary cap. Lol
Little doubt of that ? salary cap is not how you start it’s how you finish. The Bengals could easily sign Gilmore for 15 a year. These teams manipulate the heck out of the cap, and the Bengals are getting good at it, about time

I think they have become less cheap, but when have they manipulated the cap lately? Reiff maybe? Otherwise they just frontload contracts, which they've done for a while.

From everything I have read on how the Bengals draft and sign FA's they rely a lot on their asst. coaches. Annarumo did a good job of rebuilding the defense last season with FA acquisitions, while Pollack apparently thought the o line was fine with the only addition being Reiff. Pollack also was the one behind the signing of Carman. The pressure is on Pollack to produce this season, no excuses as these are supposedly the FA O lineman he signed off on. FWIW from reading Cowboy football forums, the opinion on Pollack was not very good, would be nice if the Bengals could somehow get Bill Callahan from the Browns esp. since his son is on Taylor's staff.

I think they have become less cheap, but when have they manipulated the cap lately? Reiff maybe? Otherwise they just frontload contracts, which they've done for a while.
Correct. The Bengals aren’t being cheap anymore but they aren’t manipulating the cap like other teams. Zeeman can laugh all he wants, but the biggest splash the Bengals will make for the rest of free agency will be possibly bringing Larry Ogunjobi on a 1 year deal. Hobson, the Browns/Blackburns mouth piece has already said as much. They view Apple as the opening day CB2; Reed is too expensive at DT; Carmen gets first dibs at LG but Smith, Adeniji and Trey Hill will all get a crack at LG (god they better bring Spain back); Larry Ogunjobi is back on a reasonable 1 year deal if he wants to be; look at OL, CB and edge for the 31st pick.

They are better than they used to be, but they are still behind the times.

Re-sign and then waive Fred Johnson. I liked him better than Prince as a back up but Prince isn’t that far off and costs half of what Johnson does.

Correct. The Bengals aren’t being cheap anymore but they aren’t manipulating the cap like other teams. Zeeman can laugh all he wants, but the biggest splash the Bengals will make for the rest of free agency will be possibly bringing Larry Ogunjobi on a 1 year deal. Hobson, the Browns/Blackburns mouth piece has already said as much. They view Apple as the opening day CB2; Reed is too expensive at DT; Carmen gets first dibs at LG but Smith, Adeniji and Trey Hill will all get a crack at LG (god they better bring Spain back); Larry Ogunjobi is back on a reasonable 1 year deal if he wants to be; look at OL, CB and edge for the 31st pick.

They are better than they used to be, but they are still behind the times.
? Hobspin! If that’s where you get your knowledge you need a new source

Details of Collins’ deal being released. A lot speculated it was a basically a 2 year $20m deal. Turns out it’s a lot better than that for the Bengals. Effectively 3 years, $21m. $7m tied up in playing games, only $5m signing bonus and small salaries. They got him dirt asz cheap!

Details of Collins’ deal being released. A lot speculated it was a basically a 2 year $20m deal. Turns out it’s a lot better than that for the Bengals. Effectively 3 years, $21m. $7m tied up in playing games, only $5m signing bonus and small salaries. They got him dirt asz cheap!
Reason for that he has been injured and tried bribing a NFL drug testing official.

Well he’s significantly better than yours if you think the Bengals are going to sign anyone bigger named than Ogunjobi at this point in FA. Hobson also isn’t the only one. I’d love to be wrong, but I’m not.
I agree the Bengals are likely done in FA, hope I am wrong. Pollack is going to make Carman LG come hell or high water. Sign Tretter move Karras to LG ( better guard than center) once again Burrow is the franchise don't go half a** go sign Tretter.

Half *** is what they did last year. I'd love if they brought in Tretter, but signing 3 starting OL under the age of 30 is a pretty good offseason.
Last year the Bengal's didn't even go quarter a** when it came to O - line. Patriots cut their offer to Karras from 5 mill to 3 mill a year, BB knows what he is doing. Is the line right now better than last year, yeah, but you could put 5 blocking sleds in frt. of Burrow and it would be an improvement over last year. Collins is good but he needs to stay healthy, Tretter never is injured and is the top center in the league.

Last year the Bengal's didn't even go quarter a** when it came to O - line. Patriots cut their offer to Karras from 5 mill to 3 mill a year, BB knows what he is doing. Is the line right now better than last year, yeah, but you could put 5 blocking sleds in frt. of Burrow and it would be an improvement over last year. Collins is good but he needs to stay healthy, Tretter never is injured and is the top center in the league.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Last year was textbook half a*sing. They signed a veteran right tackle, resigned Spain, drafted a guy in the second round, hoped for the 2019 Hopkins, brought in a new OL coach and crossed their fingers.
This year they replaced 3 out of the 4 positions that needed to be upgraded on the line with proven starters. It's hard to ask for more.

Last edited:
I'll guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Last year was textbook half a*sing. They signed a veteran right tackle, resigned Spain, drafted a guy in the second round, hoped for the 2019 Hopkins, brought in a new OL coach and crossed their fingers.
This year they replaced 3 out of the 4 positions that needed to be upgraded on the line with proven starters. It's hard to ask for more.
don't try to tell the clown facts. he is obsessed with the ol. he couldn't even enjoy the superbowl run b/c he was so obsessed.

jtk
()

Burrow obviously plays a huge part in getting these guys to sign, but I think ZT deserves a little more credit in getting the FO in line with what most competently run teams do. The FA period after his first year, before Burrow was drafted, the team signed DJ Reader, Vonn Bell, Trae Waynes (very bad signing in hindsight), Josh Bynes, etc. so it seems he may have gotten them on the track to spend to shore up positions of need.

Was hoping Elam or Linderbaum was there but with what was available I love the Hill pick. Not an immediate need but Lou A will have a field day with him and his versatility, which will be needed with all the QB athleticism in the AFCN now that the Steelers took Pickett and the Browns have Watson, and of course Lamar.

Daxton Hill

Post-Draft Analysis​

Cincinnati franchised Jessie Bates, and Mike Hilton is one of the better slot corners in the league, but the Bengals play a lot of defensive backs, and Hill is an outstanding value at this point in the draft. Defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo will find ways to make the most of his dynamic skill set. -- Muench

Projected Year 1 impact: Day 1 starter. Hill can play nickel, strong or free safety and immediately improves a unit that needs help on the back end -- Jordan Reid

Bengal UDFA's
Coastal Carolina RB Shermari Jones -Good runner, can't catch
Mississippi OL Ben Brown - backup type at guard and center
Pittsburgh LS Cal Adomitis - LS insurance ?
Coastal Carolina WR Jaivon Heiligh - has a chance to make team, at least one site had him as high as a 3rd rd pick
Kentucky TE Justin Rigg- 6'6" 259lb
Kansas WR Kwamie Lassiter II -
Ga Tech OT Devin Cochran- 6'7" OT who needs to add weight, PS
Mississippi DL Tariqious Tisdale -6'5" 285 with 4.6 speed[pro day] on field results don't match his physical stats
Washington DB Brendan Radley-Hiles possible nickel CB

Last edited: