2022 CFP Projections

If USC and Clemson are both seen as legit playoff contenders and Notre Dame takes care of both of them, what other possible conclusion could be drawn except to admit that Notre Dame merits playoff consideration?

The committee is charged with finding the four BEST teams. Any reasonable-minded person wants the four teams playing the best football in November and December, who are capable of beating the opponents they’ll face in the playoff.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Legit contenders don’t have three losses. The committee chooses the four best teams for the current season, as it should be. ND isn’t close to that.

Legit contenders don’t have three losses. The committee chooses the four best teams for the current season, as it should be. ND isn’t close to that.
If Notre Dame demolishes USC but doesn’t make the playoff, I may have no choice but to consider the Irish the uncrowned national champion if anyone besides Georgia were to win the committee’s idea of a playoff.

The last time we had an uncrowned national champion was 2002 and 2003, when USC was pretty clearly the best team in the country at the end of each of those seasons.

Don’t listen to him. ND fans know they’re not deserving of anything more than the Holiday Bowl. You can’t lose to 2 pathetic teams in Stanford & Marshall and hope for anything better.

I will say, this turnaround in conjunction with a highly ranked recruiting class, is reason to be optimistic about the future.

If Notre Dame demolishes USC but doesn’t make the playoff, I may have no choice but to consider the Irish the uncrowned national champion if anyone besides Georgia were to win the committee’s idea of a playoff.

The last time we had an uncrowned national champion was 2002 and 2003, when USC was pretty clearly the best team in the country at the end of each of those seasons.

Stop it.

USC is probably done once they lose to Notre Dame.

IDK how I feel about that. They held Charbonnet to under 100 yards. UCLA killed them throwing the ball and on QB runs. DTR is the polar opposite of Pyne.

Here are my projections for how the CFP will wind up:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Alabama
4. Clemson

5. Notre Dame
6. Ohio State
7. USC
8. TCU
9. LSU
10. K-State
11. Tennessee

I have Michigan beating Ohio State, Notre Dame beating USC, USC winning the Pac 12 title, Clemson winning the ACC title, Georgia beating LSU, and K-State beating TCU for the Big 12 title. Tennessee gets downgraded for last night and since Hooker clearly is out for the season.

^ the postings of someone who has not paid attention to the infallible committee and how they rank teams over the last 8 years.

Last edited:
If USC and Clemson are both seen as legit playoff contenders and Notre Dame takes care of both of them, what other possible conclusion could be drawn except to admit that Notre Dame merits playoff consideration?

The committee is charged with finding the four BEST teams. Any reasonable-minded person wants the four teams playing the best football in November and December, who are capable of beating the opponents they’ll face in the playoff.

They aren’t lol are you sure you actually pay attention to college football?

When is your next stand-up comedy gig? Scratch that. You’re just plain dumb.

No, they're looking for the four BEST teams period. Not the four teams playing the best ball at the time. The top four teams all struggled yesterday with middling conference foes, so by your definition of what the committee is tasked to do, none of those four are worthy this week.

You purposefully construe what the committee is tasked to do to include Notre Dame in the playoff picture. They're not. They shouldn't be. And they won't be.

The other conclusion is that if you wanted in the playoffs, you should’ve beaten Marshall and Stanford.

Clemson has South Carolina who just throttled Tennessee and ranked North Carolina left. I don't think theyre deserving but if LSU, TCU and USC all lose, coupled with an OSU/Michigan blowout in one direction, then who else gets the 4th spot? They'll almost back into #4 by default.

Clemson has South Carolina who just throttled Tennessee and ranked North Carolina left. I don't think theyre deserving but if LSU, TCU and USC all lose, coupled with an OSU/Michigan blowout in one direction, then who else gets the 4th spot? They'll almost back into #4 by default.
Yes, all fair points. I guess I took it as an actual playoff contender and has a chance to win vs. backing into a playoff spot similar to OSU in 2007 against LSU.

I don’t think Clemson can win the title, but they’re certainly still in the mix for a playoff spot if two teams between LSU, TCU and USC take another loss.

Every year fans and pundits alike talk about the need for expansion but at the end of the day the 4 team playoff works.

USC needs to win the PAC-12 Championship. TCU needs to win the B12 title. LSU needs to defeat GA.

As of right now the only safe bets in my opinion are OSU/UM winner and GA.
yes, and many in the midwest will be happy now as it looks like only one SEC team will make it in the playoff. I'd like to see LSU pull the upset, but I think it's a real long shot. Georgia just really good.

I really think their will be chaos when all is said and done, maybe not 1-2 but those 3rd & 4th spots could be coming down to who is the least flawed of several candidates. A lot will depend on TCU & USC winning out but I have a feeling that USC OL and defense will stumble in one of their last two games, TCU may too but I feel a little more confident on the Frogs then the Trojans. So it then may come down to the following: 1 loss ACC title winning Clemson, the 1 loss UM/tOSU loser, and 2 loss 'Bama. Eye test wise 'Bama is probably the most deserving yet that potential Clemson title may be just too much unless they have to beat out a 1 loss tOSU as they will have beaten ND while Clemson got spanked by the Domers.

I really think their will be chaos when all is said and done, maybe not 1-2 but those 3rd & 4th spots could be coming down to who is the least flawed of several candidates. A lot will depend on TCU & USC winning out but I have a feeling that USC OL and defense will stumble in one of their last two games, TCU may too but I feel a little more confident on the Frogs then the Trojans. So it then may come down to the following: 1 loss ACC title winning Clemson, the 1 loss UM/tOSU loser, and 2 loss 'Bama. Eye test wise 'Bama is probably the most deserving yet that potential Clemson title may be just too much unless they have to beat out a 1 loss tOSU as they will have beaten ND while Clemson got spanked by the Domers.
Should be a great weekend figuring things out. I do think USC and TCU wins out and will be the #3 & #4 spots. No doubt a quick peak ahead, we could see a Georgia / USC, Ohio State / TCU semi final. Yes, I feel Georgi's going to roll in the SEC final, Ohio State will win comfortably Saturday and easily beat whomever comes from the west.

If you think Notre Dame would currently be a neutral-site underdog to anyone ranked #8 or lower, you’re lying to yourself. That includes Clemson, Oregon, Tennessee, Penn State, Kansas State, Washington and Utah.

Penn State is still criminally overrated.

And how on earth is three-loss UCF still in the Top 25 after a home loss to Navy, a loss to Louisville, and a beatdown by East Carolina? Their only wins to hang their hat on are over fellow overrated American members Tulane and UC.

This is a disgrace!

With LSU at #5 and Bama ahead of Clemson it looks like they are going to do everything possible to get two SEC teams into the playoffs. Here’s hoping UGA hands LSU that third loss and ends it all right there.

If you think Notre Dame would currently be a neutral-site underdog to anyone ranked #8 or lower, you’re lying to yourself. That includes Clemson, Oregon, Tennessee, Penn State, Kansas State, Washington and Utah.

Penn State is still criminally overrated.

And how on earth is three-loss UCF still in the Top 25 after a home loss to Navy, a loss to Louisville, and a beatdown by East Carolina? Their only wins to hang their hat on are over fellow overrated American members Tulane and UC.

This is a disgrace!

You keep using this barometer every week to try and justify how underrated the Irish are, but you fail to grasp that it doesn't have anything to do with the CFP Rankings. I would think most of the top 10 would be favored over TCU on a neutral field, but yet there the Frogs are in the top 4 controlling their own playoff destiny.

Don't understand Louisville there at 25 - losses to ranked Clemson and Florida St, but also unranked Syracuse and Boston College. Wins over unranked Wake Forest and NC State, but ranked UCF.

I don't think Texas should be ranked, but I understand it, tough schedule, close losses. Don't understand UCF in there this week considering their losses, but they do have 2 ranked wins.

Feel like UCLA is too low. Utah is too high. Penn State is probably too high, but they're also 9-2. They've at least been consistent against the rest of their schedule while the teams around them in the Rankings have faltered. Ole Miss is too low, they're a top 15 team even though they were throttled by Arkansas.

Last edited:
Don't understand Louisville there at 25 - losses to ranked Clemson and Florida St, but also unranked Syracuse and Boston College. Wins over unranked Wake Forest and NC State, but ranked UCF.

I don't think Texas should be ranked, but I understand it, tough schedule, close losses. Don't understand UCF in there this week considering their losses, but they do have 2 ranked wins.

Feel like UCLA is too low. Utah is too high. Penn State is probably too high, but they're also 9-2. They've at least been consistent against the rest of their schedule while the teams around them in the Rankings have faltered. Ole Miss is too low, they're a top 15 team even though they were throttled by Arkansas.
Finally you’ve come around to what I’ve been preaching: Penn State and UCF are overrated.

You keep using this barometer every week to try and justify how underrated the Irish are, but you fail to grasp that it doesn't have anything to do with the CFP Rankings. I would think most of the top 10 would be favored over TCU on a neutral field, but yet there the Frogs are in the top 4 controlling their own playoff destiny.
If the committee thinks most of the top ten would beat TCU, then TCU shouldn’t be ranked where they are. This is simple, common sense stuff. If they’re not going to pick the best teams, then what even is the point of this exercise!?!

Ding ding ding! Want to make a playoff? Don’t lose games. Especially don’t lose to piss poor teams like Stanford and Marshall.

Finally you’ve come around to what I’ve been preaching: Penn State and UCF are overrated.

In UCF's case, I think you could find a replacement down there to slide in at 23, 24, 25, etc.

But who would you have ranked ahead of Penn State? Their two losses are to #2 and #3. They've beaten everyone else in front of them including an SEC team on the road. Everyone else around them have 3-losses, and most of those teams have one bad loss.

If the committee thinks most of the top ten would beat TCU, then TCU shouldn’t be ranked where they are. This is simple, common sense stuff. If they’re not going to pick the best teams, then what even is the point of this exercise!?!

Ranking the best teams based on the criteria the committee has put forth. This isn't a Playoff based on Vegas Lines. It's results based, schedule based, etc.

This is the mental gymnastics to justify sneaking Notre Dame into the discussion it has no business being in. We throw out earlier results that don’t look good in favor of where we feel a team should be now. Take care of business and they’re in the conversation even if they lose to OSU. Not only that, but probably in the driver seat for the #4 spot. Losing to bad teams early in the season has consequences.

Curiously caught on the ESPN ticker this morning that their "playoff predictor" currently gives Ohio State a 96% of being in and Michigan an 81% chance.

Barring a massive blowout, they seem to be at least giving lip service to the idea that the loser isn't sliding past 4th with what they assume teams 4 through 6 are likely to do and have on their resume.

Curiously caught on the ESPN ticker this morning that their "playoff predictor" currently gives Ohio State a 96% of being in and Michigan an 81% chance.

Barring a massive blowout, they seem to be at least giving lip service to the idea that the loser isn't sliding past 4th with what they assume teams 4 through 6 are likely to do and have on their resume.
I don’t think those percentages mean they think both might get in. I think they are giving the conference championship to the East. They give both Ohio State and tsun a 100% (or close) in winning that game. I think they’re just giving Ohio State a slight edge in THE game.