2022 Canton McKinley Football Season

My understanding of open enrollment is that it only “voids” a penalty of sitting out when a kid open enrolls as a freshman. Otherwise you have to move.

I was referring to post #181 on this thread, from Peycash12, who raised the question that I was responding to.

you are right - I'm mixing it up - however doesn't a student who moves in after 9th grade show as a competitive balance hit?
For public schools, I believe an athlete that "moves in" (lives in) to a district with at least one parent will not be any hit to CB.

7th grade, rather than 9th grade, comes into play for athletes not living in the school district.

This is extremely helpful.

Doubtful these two players you mention will have to sit out any games. Don't believe that OHSAA has a regulation about pre-school startup/pre-season transfers.
Cox will be sitting out 10 games. He left because he wasn't going to start and GlenOak has two kids in front of him. If he starts for Mck that isn't good for them...Now dnt get me wrong depth is good but that is why he left.

Spoke with some folks who attended the four-team scrimmage in Warren. Cleveland Heights defense looked strong. Outstanding QB play. No details. Warren Harding offense appeared to be explosive. For followers of Canton McKinley, the Bulldogs showed a lot of overall potential. The starting QB, Rode, threw 3 or 4 TD passes, and ran for another. On defense, Bulldogs' linebackers looked average, nothing exceptional. Secondary looked very skilled/talented, but small in size. Will learn more with the upcoming Cleveland St. Ignatius scrimmage, which will be structured more like a real game. To be played in Canton on Friday.

Ignatius is breaking in a ton of new players, especially on offense. QB play has been weak the past few years.

I may have missed it within this thread, but does anyone know what time the scrimmage is tonight? It looks like it’d be a nice night to take the grandson to see the pups.

Iggy dropped a Hail Mary pass at the one yard line and it was called Iggy ball there ?. I couldn’t tell if a second iggy player scooped it up but it looked mighty suspicious

I think they looked pretty good. The QB has grown and has a nice arm. Their timing was off at the beginning, but the WRs were getting open. I have to assume a team like St. Ignatius has pretty decent DBs. The run game will be fine as usual. The D tackled well, but coverage was kind of a mess. Not a lot of size on D either. The kicker has a nice leg on both punts and FGs. They will probably struggle in game 1, but by the time they start the Federal League, I can see them humming. They’ll be fun to watch this year. Go Pups!

Anybody have anything more to add on the scrimmage?
QB will be fine,never worry about RB'S at McK,OL looks OK,Wideouts will get better were off just a little,the D is another story.The DB'S are a little small and have a lot to learn,LB'S OK will get better,DL with three down I really can't get it maybe too many good LB's the reason.I'm getting old just my take,anyone see it different or better?...BAM!..Forgot the Kicker,Kickoffs can get better,Punts OK and Field Goals hope for the best...BAM!

Last edited:
I think they looked pretty good. The QB has grown and has a nice arm. Their timing was off at the beginning, but the WRs were getting open. I have to assume a team like St. Ignatius has pretty decent DBs. The run game will be fine as usual. The D tackled well, but coverage was kind of a mess. Not a lot of size on D either. The kicker has a nice leg on both punts and FGs. They will probably struggle in game 1, but by the time they start the Federal League, I can see them humming. They’ll be fun to watch this year. Go Pups!
I agree with above post. QB, Rode, is a fine high school athlete. No issues. Offensive line blocked well, both in pass protection and run game. Liked the swarming and physical defensive play, overall. However, the defensive tackles were not that impressive. St. Ignatius Oline controlled Bulldog line, for the most part. Linebackers looked average, but nothing special about stopping the run game. Yes, #34, a junior, looked solid in punting, PATs and FGs. No real back-up to him, which is a concern. In summary, McKinley played well against a team like St. Ignatius. Mentor will beat Canton McKinley, as expected. But the other opponents on regular season schedule can be beaten, with the Massillon game being questionable, as usual.

Of note….they had a girl dress last night. Left footed kicker. She won’t play, most likely. Good for her, though. The players like her and I know the student body supports her. She’s part of the team, and that’s a good atmosphere for any high schooler.
How's the band looking this year pupsband?

Iggy dropped a Hail Mary pass at the one yard line and it was called Iggy ball there ?. I couldn’t tell if a second iggy player scooped it up but it looked mighty suspicious
I re-watched the Ignatius video broadcast of the scrimmage. Ignatius' #7 caught the pass on the 10 and after running to around the 2 yard line, the ball was punched out by the Pups DB. It was a fumble. The ball sat on the 1 yard line for several seconds and the following Wildcat player trying to recover the fumble knocked it out of bounds on the 1. Correct call right in front of the ref

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 4.46.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 4.44.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 4.45.18 PM.png

How's the band looking this year pupsband?
As strong as ever, Caleb. Thank you for asking. They practiced from 9-2, 5 days a week for 4 straight weeks in July and August. My one son has graduated now, but I still have another proud drummer, 15 years old and a sophomore. He also composed their new intro music. In fact, he just won a National competition for high school and college music composers. Very proud of him. Go Pups!

Holy cow you must have horrific vision. The kid caught the ball and ran with it. It wasn’t close.