2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all we know Tommy Z may want to go back to college.. It would be huge if they could hire but I don’t think Benny would operate in a way where they’d outspend Gilmour. Benny alums are not going to pony up money to hire him away and even if they did, I highly doubt Benedictine would operate that way.

For all we know Tommy Z may want to go back to college.. It would be huge if they could hire but I don’t think Benny would operate in a way where they’d outspend Gilmour. Benny alums are not going to pony up money to hire him away and even if they did, I highly doubt Benedictine would operate that way.
Tough way to make a living. How many places has Joe been to since he left Benedictine and he is now in a potential dumpster fire at Texas A&M. But then again the HS coaches I talk to say that in the past 5-10 years the parent side of the equation has really gone off the rails. The everyone gets a trophy era is nothing compared to the current $s invested to chase a dream era, because of the insane cash spent on outside things like specialty position coaching, private weight training, pro quality Hudl tapes, etc the demand for a coach to kowtow to their will is just off the charts.

Unfortunately, at Benedictine, there may be 90 coaches applying for the HC job. Out of those 90, 10 may be worthy of the job. Of those 10 left, after they see the pay offered... Benedictine is back looking for a HC. If Benedictine hires a HC in his mid 20's to late 40's, in most cases he is building his resume to get a job at a public school or college that pays, sometimes double the salary. Al Hodakaviec left for Twinsburg for the pay increase. Joe Shaffer left for a salary increase, but to also move up the ladder in college football. Tommy Z is in the same category. Building his resume in the college ranks, taking a high school HC job that pays very well to support his family. I have read names like Bortnick, Hodakoviec, Chuck Kyle. Most of these men are closing in on 70 years old. Although they meet the criteria. Would any of these men want to put in the time it would take to rebuild a football program? Probably not. Would any of the younger coaches who would take the job to have on their resume stay longer than 5 years? Probably not. I think you need to find a guy like a Jeff Turango, who was a retired AD at the time he was hired at Benedictine as the AD. Mid 50's to early 60's in age. Is already established, is able to work for the dollars offered, is a good, if not great coach, is willing to put in the time needed to turn the program around, will stay as HC for 10-15 years if successful, is able to groom his successor, Is that guy out there???

^^^
Basically what I said. I am concerned about what happened to Jeff Teringo and if that situation may drive off some of the better candidates in the recently retired established coach category and this may limit the candidate pool. One thing Benedictine is great at doing is giving good people that leave not on their own accord a bad taste in their mouth....

^^^
Basically what I said. I am concerned about what happened to Jeff Teringo and if that situation may drive off some of the better candidates in the recently retired established coach category and this may limit the candidate pool. One thing Benedictine is great at doing is giving good people that leave not on their own accord a bad taste in their mouth....
One thing that was absolutely terrible was the assistant Coach that went after Teringo on the sidelines two seasons ago. He should have been fired right on the spot . Way out of control . And too many people on the sidelines . Take a look at St Eds, St Ignatius… Organized.

@Over The Hills very good insight! I am echoing (again) the same thing, Tommy Z wanted this job years ago, but it is not in the cards now. He is married, with kids and he can build something really special at Gilmour. I hate to say this, but other than tradition (which I believe kids care VERY VERY little about) what makes Benny a better job than GA? I don't see very many.

Kosiorek wouldn't be the worst choice, I think he is a guy who can have success there. But I just think there are better choices out there, including a few alums, which yes I know didn't do anything for Goode, but it matters at a place like Benny.
Agreed.

OMG solid constructive discussion on this thread, what has become of the world? :)

Not sure Benedictine will have 100+ applicants for this job but they will have quite a few back channel inquiries testing out the waters, most will be asking about some of the negatives associate to the job. Like I said above the good news is guys in current jobs can apply knowing their names will not get out in the public unlike when for example Mentor finally opens up you will see a list a mile long with many big names testing those waters. My guess at the top of the list of concerns is pay followed closely by job security as the school has been churning through head coaches. It looks like the trend these days it to not only pay market rate for the actual HC/Teaching job but to supplement this with a created non-teaching job that will not throw off the current teacher salary structure in the building. Is there someone ready to step up and help a financially challenged school make pay a non-issue? That is the biggest question.

A word on Gilmour... Over the Hills and I have sparred on this school in the past but things seem to be changing over there with regards to their boys sports programs. They have always had the facilities and the education is of a classic prep school variety, could be a potent advantage if they were willing to be like their girls programs and get as aggressive on student attraction and not play favorites to full paying customers. I don't want to get specifics here, (we can trade messages if need Over) but things got different the past couple of years and to think they are not a player now in football is very short sighted. Any Bengal fans here take a second and look at what their hoops program did last year? What makes you think the same thing cannot happen in football? Take a look at their roster, plenty of public school players and I even see an Iggy legacy. This is not your dad's Gilmour football team.
No sparring Auggie just good discussion lol.
I respect you on here.
You have been correct Gilmour girls sports are state contenders in many sports many years.
Boys sports have caught up a bit recently and GA has become more of an an athlete destination school.

Gilmour and Benny do compete for the Eastside suburban kids some.
I can tell you only what I have been told by my grade school friends that their very athletics sons have GA at the top of their list.
Don't be surprised to see a huge 9th grade football class next fall.
Zagorski wasn't hired til this past spring so this will be the first class that knew he was coach when making their decision.

Kids and families that I know well get less and less at Benny every year.
Best of luck to you and the Bengals and I'll keep cheering.

One thing that was absolutely terrible was the assistant Coach that went after Teringo on the sidelines two seasons ago. He should have been fired right on the spot . Way out of control . And too many people on the sidelines . Take a look at St Eds, St Ignatius… Organized.
If an assistant coach wants to fight he should be fired.
Too many coaches in football think that is how you're supposed to be and they are idiots.

I dont know what happened here but the only people on the sidelines anywhere should have a reason for being there.
Having stood on the sideline with headsets on, I can tell you we cleaned that place out always.
No dads or fans or alumni or wannabes.
Get the hell up in the stands.
Some of the teams I've seen recently have more posse guys on the sidelines than there are total fans in the stands.
Madness.

If an assistant coach wants to fight he should be fired.
Too many coaches in football think that is how you're supposed to be and they are idiots.

I dont know what happened here but the only people on the sidelines anywhere should have a reason for being there.
Having stood on the sideline with headsets on, I can tell you we cleaned that place out always.
No dads or fans or alumni or wannabes.
Get the hell up in the stands.
Some of the teams I've seen recently have more posse guys on the sidelines than there are total fans in the stands.
Madness.
I agree. It was a circus.

OMG solid constructive discussion on this thread, what has become of the world? :)

Not sure Benedictine will have 100+ applicants for this job but they will have quite a few back channel inquiries testing out the waters, most will be asking about some of the negatives associate to the job. Like I said above the good news is guys in current jobs can apply knowing their names will not get out in the public unlike when for example Mentor finally opens up you will see a list a mile long with many big names testing those waters. My guess at the top of the list of concerns is pay followed closely by job security as the school has been churning through head coaches. It looks like the trend these days it to not only pay market rate for the actual HC/Teaching job but to supplement this with a created non-teaching job that will not throw off the current teacher salary structure in the building. Is there someone ready to step up and help a financially challenged school make pay a non-issue? That is the biggest question.

A word on Gilmour... Over the Hills and I have sparred on this school in the past but things seem to be changing over there with regards to their boys sports programs. They have always had the facilities and the education is of a classic prep school variety, could be a potent advantage if they were willing to be like their girls programs and get as aggressive on student attraction and not play favorites to full paying customers. I don't want to get specifics here, (we can trade messages if need Over) but things got different the past couple of years and to think they are not a player now in football is very short sighted. Any Bengal fans here take a second and look at what their hoops program did last year? What makes you think the same thing cannot happen in football? Take a look at their roster, plenty of public school players and I even see an Iggy legacy. This is not your dad's Gilmour football team.
Your points are well taken and I am admittingly not up to date on what has been going on at Gilmour recently. However, I don't think using basketball is a fair comparison when projecting the potential of their football program given the major difference in team sizes. It is much easier for them to get 2-3 very talented basketball players per class than an entire roster for football. To me, that is like saying colleges like Villanova, Gonzaga, Creighton, etc. have the potential to be nationally relevant in football because of their elite basketball programs.

If anyone were to make it happen though, it is Zagorski.

I know it is a long shot, but is there any chance Rick Finotti would have interest in the job? He is overly qualified, but he did attend VASJ and was an assistant at Benedictine earlier in his career.

Your points are well taken and I am admittingly not up to date on what has been going on at Gilmour recently. However, I don't think using basketball is a fair comparison when projecting the potential of their football program given the major difference in team sizes. It is much easier for them to get 2-3 very talented basketball players per class than an entire roster for football. To me, that is like saying colleges like Villanova, Gonzaga, Creighton, etc. have the potential to be nationally relevant in football because of their elite basketball programs.

I know it is a long shot, but is there any chance Rick Finotti would have interest in the job? He is overly qualified, but he did attend VASJ and was an assistant at Benedictine earlier in his career.
couple things on this- I mentioned Finotti as a guy I would love to see and I don't think is as far fetched as people think. However, I have said this to a few people and they don't seem to think this has a chance to happen. I'll say this, if Finotti applied just stop the search right there, here's your guy

Just as a heads up Gonzaga and Creighton don't have football programs ;)

Not picking a fight with you at all and I see what you are saying here.
Respectfully not one athletic program at Benny is currently in better shape than one at Gilmour that I'm aware of but I only pay attention to
Football, Basketball, Baseball a little bit.
And yes I saw both football teams play this season and know kids on both teams.

This can get turned around but step one is to recognize where they are so they can hire they right people to get their programs built back to where they need to be.
State contender talk is one thing but they are not even really that successful recently in the local area at all in most sports.
Best of luck boys and I'm always pulling for Benny.
They will be back soon.

He’s still coaching!! He can definitely do a 3-5 year stint. Think about it, he hires a young Benedictine grad, Mentors him for 3-5 years and turns it over. Benedictine wins now and has a succession plan.

Plan 2, hire former Gilmour coach Kasiorek. He’s won at two places and is young and very familiar with CYO circuit.
I think the CYO circuit is pretty much dead or at least on life support. It is a shell of what it was just 5 years ago.

Not picking a fight with you at all and I see what you are saying here.
Respectfully not one athletic program at Benny is currently in better shape than one at Gilmour that I'm aware of but I only pay attention to
Football, Basketball, Baseball a little bit.
And yes I saw both football teams play this season and know kids on both teams.

This can get turned around but step one is to recognize where they are so they can hire they right people to get their programs built back to where they need to be.
State contender talk is one thing but they are not even really that successful recently in the local area at all in most sports.
Best of luck boys and I'm always pulling for Benny.
They will be back soon.
I think you missed the point of the conversation if that is your main takeaway. Everyone can agree the current state of GA's football and basketball program is better than Benedictine's and nobody on the thread has said otherwise.

I think you missed the point of the conversation if that is your main takeaway. Everyone can agree the current state of GA's football and basketball program is better than Benedictine's and nobody on the thread has said otherwise.
Totally disagree. Even this 0-10 Benedictine team would have beat this 9-1 Gilmour team. Look at the incredibly weak schedule Gilmour played, it was embarrassing!! Benedictine played a very tough schedule and yes they went winless but they were much more talented than Gilmour.

That's not nice!!
According to you, you are the assistant AD at Benedictine. The entire winter, spring and summer all you did on here is bash other people posts and opinions and gloat about how great the Bengals would be this season. To be honest, I‘m surprised you are even back here posting your usual garbage considering what a fool you sounded like this past year. I also can’t believe this thread is still open.

Do yourself and the Benedictine faithful a favor, quit posting. You’re an employee of the school and you’re just a reminder of what a crap show this thread became, led by you.

Is it true about the Hoban assistant potentially going after the Benedictine job? may be a good thing for the program?
Who? Hoban has a bunch of assistants lol. Brian Motil is a guy I mentioned here before only because he is a young guy gaining alot of momentum in coaching circles. No idea if he would interested

Why would you believe he'd be good for the program? Simply because he's with Hoban?

Who? Hoban has a bunch of assistants lol. Brian Motil is a guy I mentioned here before only because he is a young guy gaining alot of momentum in coaching circles. No idea if he would interested

Why would you believe he'd be good for the program? Simply because he's with Hoban?
no, if its the same person I am thinking of. He is also an educator in the school and that is what a program like Benedictine needs. Also from my understanding he has been on the Hoban staff a decade or more. Someone like that to me would bring light. He must be valuable. the head coach at Hoban has kept him on staff.

no, if its the same person I am thinking of. He is also an educator in the school and that is what a program like Benedictine needs. Also from my understanding he has been on the Hoban staff a decade or more. Someone like that to me would bring light. He must be valuable. the head coach at Hoban has kept him on staff.
well yea like I said he's a guy who is gaining a ton of steam in coaching circles and if he wants to be a head coach I'd imagine it would happen sooner rather than later. Motil teaches math at Hoban

well yea like I said he's a guy who is gaining a ton of steam in coaching circles and if he wants to be a head coach I'd imagine it would happen sooner rather than later. Motil teaches math at Hoban
The money spent at Hoban to turn that program around was obscene. If a coach from Hoban thinks that the HC at Benedictine will get the same dollars spent on the football program. He will be very disappointed. Benedictine needs a guy who can build the program within the Benedictine model. Very few meet this criteria.

The money spent at Hoban to turn that program around was obscene. If a coach from Hoban thinks that the HC at Benedictine will get the same dollars spent on the football program. He will be very disappointed. Benedictine needs a guy who can build the program within the Benedictine model. Very few meet this criteria.
Yes and that’s why you need either an alumnus or a devoted Catholic School guy.

Head Football Coach​

Benedictine High School in Cleveland, Ohio is accepting applications for the position of Head Football Coach. Benedictine High School is an all-male Roman Catholic college preparatory high school with grades 9-12. Led by the Benedictine monks of Saint Andrew Abbey since 1927, Benedictine High School attracts a rich diversity of families from over one hundred different grade schools across five Cleveland counties. Its enrollment is typically 325-350. It is located on a beautiful 15-acre campus with two classroom buildings, an athletic wing, practice fields, and St. Andrew Abbey. There are about 60 staff and faculty, with about two-thirds of the faculty having advanced degrees.

Eligible candidates must demonstrate strong leadership in sportsmanship, integrity, and character development. Candidates must possess strong communication and organizational skills, and understand the diverse culture and individuals. They must demonstrate exceptional knowledge of skills and strategies of football. They must understand the importance of academic excellence, assisting admissions and maintaining high stands and culture throughout the program. A faculty/staff position may also be available.

Interested candidates are to email a cover letter and resume to Athletic Director John Carter via carter@cbhs.edu by November 7, 2022.

According to you, you are the assistant AD at Benedictine. The entire winter, spring and summer all you did on here is bash other people posts and opinions and gloat about how great the Bengals would be this season. To be honest, I‘m surprised you are even back here posting your usual garbage considering what a fool you sounded like this past year. I also can’t believe this thread is still open.

Do yourself and the Benedictine faithful a favor, quit posting. You’re an employee of the school and you’re just a reminder of what a crap show this thread became, led by you.
First off I never said I was THE assistant AD others have said that I didn't. Second I am not an employee of the school. Third I will always bash those who bash Benedictine and the kids that attend the school. Fourth I have volunteered at Benedictine for 17 years and supported the sports program in all sports. I help out whenever and whatever I can. So you knowing nothing of what goes on Benedictine can have your opinions but they mean nothing to me because I will continue to volunteer my time to my beloved Alma Mater.

First off I never said I was THE assistant AD others have said that I didn't. Second I am not an employee of the school. Third I will always bash those who bash Benedictine and the kids that attend the school. Fourth I have volunteered at Benedictine for 17 years and supported the sports program in all sports. I help out whenever and whatever I can. So you knowing nothing of what goes on Benedictine can have your opinions but they mean nothing to me because I will continue to volunteer my time to my beloved Alma Mater.
Sadly a lot of.your posts and replies don’t represent mob?

Status
Not open for further replies.