2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know that I never met any of these kids? By the way I have never disparaged a player on this team. What is your reason for endless pages of posting only after the season went south? What is your association to Benedictine? Nobody goes out of their way this much if they are just a casual fan, those folks have said they’re peace and moved on.
@fr willie has said his peace? Or did he squander?
Where has he been after his off-season of jumping down peoples throat.

And don’t worry about my association with the school. I’ve cared more about the program / done more for the kids than 75% of these bozos that feel like they can come on here and speak despairingly about OTHER programs. They open their mouth and beat their chest about Benedictine but wouldn’t bother getting to know the kids / families / alums. They just care about what they can say on here. Pathetic cowards

How do you know that I never met any of these kids? By the way I have never disparaged a player on this team. What is your reason for endless pages of posting only after the season went south? What is your association to Benedictine? Nobody goes out of there way this much if they are just a casual fan, those folks have said their peace and moved on.
Auggie - just stop responding to him....

I also care deeply for Benedictine and its football program its one of the main reasons I wanted to be a MOB and it was then the other great things came into focus. BUT some of the way of thinking for these old times alum have to change and hopefully a humbling season like this does that.

I have echoed ALL of Auggie's points in the past, but it was also pointed out by me (and a few others) in Aug that this season was inevitable (and met by some harshly). I don't know Coach Goode at all, won't comment on him as a man, but hopefully this is the last time he's wearing a headset on those sidelines

Auggie - just stop responding to him....

I also care deeply for Benedictine and its football program its one of the main reasons I wanted to be a MOB and it was then the other great things came into focus. BUT some of the way of thinking for these old times alum have to change and hopefully a humbling season like this does that.

I have echoed ALL of Auggie's points in the past, but it was also pointed out by me (and a few others) in Aug that this season was inevitable (and met by some harshly). I don't know Coach Goode at all, won't comment on him as a man, but hopefully this is the last time he's wearing a headset on those sidelines
I can be ignored but until those old time alums disappear, this issue will linger over the program. Just old timers not willing to help out whether it be financial or just time but they have everything in the world to say on here

Weird things happen in HS football all the time, and my immediate thought when Benny moved back to D3 was that they were instantly a serious state title threat, so 0-10 might be the most shocking season I can remember from any program. I'm sure I'm forgetting something that might be on that scale, but it's certainly up there. As an outside observer and fan of the program, I hope they can flip the script quickly.

That inside linebacker that I was referring too had a pick 6 last night over your bengals.
Once again he is a friend of a friend I met years ago when I watched the alders and ward and the quarterback brothers go thru the program. That coach fox is heck of a coach and runs a great small D-2 program.
He actually had 2 pick 6's last night. Kid had a helluva game...

As an outside observer, this was a HUGE dropoff from their playoff appearances last year and the year before. Hopefully the program turns around, but it is very concerning to see. Side note, how did JV and freshmen do this season?

Honestly curious to see what has been happening with Benedictine sports in general.

Basketball has been going thru a down period lately, with only TWO wins in the 2020-21 season, and they didn't really do much of notice the following year. I remember reading articles and watching old highlights on YouTube where the games used to be PACKED and standing room only.

And even baseball isn't as strong as it once was, even with home games at a couple of really nice facilities.

I wonder if COVID had more of an affect than we truly know (at least from an outsider's perspective).

Benedictine and Coach Goode Part Ways​

BENDICTINE HIGH SCHOOL PARTS WAYS WITH HEAD FOOTBALL COACH JARRITT GOODE

Cleveland, Ohio – October 24, 2022
Benedictine High School has parted ways with Head Football Coach, Jarritt Goode, after four seasons with the Bengals.

Jarritt Goode ’95 compiled a 22-20 record with the Bengals from 2019-2022. During his tenure, Goode posted three OHSAA Regional Semifinal playoff appearances in 2019, 2020, and 2021.

Goode will remain on staff as the Director of Student Life.

Benedictine High School appreciates the years of service and dedication Coach Goode has provided the Benedictine football program.

The state of Ohio’s only program to win a football state championship in each decade since the inception of the OHSAA playoffs will be forming a search committee and accepting applications effective immediately. For more information, please contact Athletic Director John Carter carter@cbhs.edu

There has been a lot of negative energy here to Coach Goode and the staff but I hope all realize there is still a person on the other side of this banter that has a family and has tried, maybe not with the best results, to give his best effort for the school. I for one thank him for the efforts and wish him the best moving forward. I also sincerely hope the entire Goode family stays engaged at the school as they are one of the bigger names that have been associated with the program.

Oh My another "committee", what could go wrong???
I agree no search committee. Somebody take ownership and make a 1-3-5 year plan with consultation from those that have earned respect in and out of the building.

I am hearing some in the coaching community think this is a toxic gig, don't listen to that noise. Don't ever discount a someone involved in sports wanting to possibly be part of a place that has won titles, especially if they do not have one to their name yet. Still think they should look long and hard at some sort of GM/care taker like fbrox mentioned. This is not the good old days were an ensconced mentor like Bossu sticks around for decades and sees this more as a calling as those days are gone. So either young guys will cycle through looking to move on, ala Joe Schaeffer, or public school guys that are fully vested in a pension can come in title chasing. Either one is not the best long term solution but I think that is a realistic best case scenario at this time. (And when Walsh gets bounced in the playoffs Nick Alexander will not be coming to Benny) Some requirements that need to be considered:

• If a student expresses interested in playing football at the school this person must be able to get them to enroll in the school as 9th graders. It's mostly about the Jimmys and the Joes and not the Xs and the Os. This isn't a public school or one of the current big names in the area either where a set group of kids are showing up every year.
  • Absolutely no cult of personalities. This is not a blank slate so no way should there be a guy that says this is his program, nope it is Benedictine.
  • Ability to work with a diverse team and the parents from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds is a must.
  • Attention to detail is also needed, probably Coach Goode's biggest down fall.
  • Don't pander to the strong willed but influential alumni base but on the flip side you cannot ignore this constituency, must be a balancing act.
I mentioned Nick Alexander above for a reason. After a decade + in the wilderness Walsh was able to turn things around quickly with a guy that was the best fit for them, especially after coming out of a disastrous run with a good guy that was an alumni at the helm they hit a HR hire. Kind of a similar situation at Benny.

Last edited:
I agree no search committee. Somebody take ownership and make a 1-3-5 year plan with consultation from those that have earned respect in and out of the building.

I am hearing some in the coaching community think this is a toxic gig, don't listen to that noise. Don't ever discount a someone involved in sports wanting to possibly be part of a place that has won titles, especially if they do not have one to their name yet. Still think they should look long and hard at some sort of GM/care taker like fbrox mentioned. This is not the good old days were an ensconced mentor like Bossu sticks around for decades and sees this more as a calling as those days are gone. So either young guys will cycle through looking to move on, ala Joe Schaeffer, or public school guys that are fully vested in a pension can come in title chasing. Either one is not the best long term solution but I think that is a realistic best case scenario at this time. (And when Walsh gets bounced in the playoffs Nick Alexander will not be coming to Benny) Some requirements that need to be considered:

• If a student expresses interested in playing football at the school this person must be able to get them to enroll in the school as 9th graders. It's mostly about the Jimmys and the Joes and not the Xs and the Os. This isn't a public school or one of the current big names in the area either where a set group of kids are showing up every year.
  • Absolutely no cult of personalities. This is not a blank slate so no way should there be a guy that says this is his program, nope it is Benedictine.
  • Ability to work with a diverse team and the parents from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds is a must.
  • Attention to detail is also needed, probably Coach Goode's biggest down fall.
  • Don't pander to the strong willed but influential alumni base but on the flip side you cannot ignore this constituency, must be a balancing act.
I mentioned Nick Alexander above for a reason. After a decade + in the wilderness Walsh was able to turn things around quickly with a guy that was the best fit for them, especially after coming out of a disastrous run with a good guy that was an alumni at the helm they hit a HR hire. Kind of a similar situation at Benny.
Nick is not coming to Benny

Seek out Dan Larlham, now at Svsm.

Nick is not coming to Benny

Seek out Dan Larlham, now at Svsm.
I said no way Alexander is coming, just mentioned it as an example of how you follow up with a solid hire after a tough run w/ an alum.

By the way I am not in the name game. I know a lot of coaches come to this site and some even post here, which is insane, so to speculate doesn't do any good. I am very glad benny decided to make the move sooner rather than later. It should open up the prospect pool much better than when they use to wait until the 2nd semester started up.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the budget for the head coaching position? Total comp for coaching + whatever role they hold at the school
Only a couple folks really know as this is not a public school gig so there is no need to make it public, also no need to publish candidate names. I think privates have an advantage in this regard.

He’s still coaching!! He can definitely do a 3-5 year stint. Think about it, he hires a young Benedictine grad, Mentors him for 3-5 years and turns it over. Benedictine wins now and has a succession plan.

Plan 2, hire former Gilmour coach Kasiorek. He’s won at two places and is young and very familiar with CYO circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.