2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys act like this a Benedictine only phenomenon. Should have been here for the heyday of this board, all the big names heard the same stuff when they had a down year.

Looks like a steep fall if the current path is taken.

But like I said this is HS football and things can change quickly if the right change(s) are made. We shall see.
Honest question.

You’re obviously a proud alumni of the school.
What is your honest take on the transfer portal set up and the schools consistent use of utilIzing it?

As a proud alumni. Someone I’m assuming spent all 4years at the school. Doesn’t it deep down but you the school looks for outsiders to come in and help the school win? Kids get the same diploma you did but only spend 1-2 years in the building. Doesn’t that bug you they are called MOB? When they really didn’t get the full experience you did?

I’m seriously asking this question. Because for such a proud. Almost delusional alumni group. I would think they would hate kids being viewed as MOB and their equal. When in reality they were just bought athletic help. And weren’t in the school for the right reasons or their for the deeper than athletic experiences.

I agree that some fans here were counting their chickens before they hatched but the name on the jersey has won 8 state titles, that puts them in the top tier of the state and buys they much respect from those in the know. Look at the preseason poll, there was a reason they were ranked that high and it was not fans here stuffing the ballot box with their votes. Cleveland.com's Matt Goul had them as a top 20 team in NEO preseason, are you going to say he doesn't know high school football in the area?
You cared about Matt Goul’s preseason rankings? It’s an article he has to write every year and has no idea if a team is going to be good or not. What a say day in Bengal football history that we are bringing that up.

You can say that they’re a top team in the state and this and that however these old folks in here still living in the glory days have absolutely ZEROOOO connection to the school. To the athletes. To the admin. They just want to pound their chest and say Go Bengals!

But like I said this is HS football and things can change quickly if the right change(s) are made. We shall see.
Does the school have the talent and is wasting it with bad "path" or has the path resulted in an absence of talent?

In my opinion they should really look hard at either Conroy or Lee (assuming Finotti couldn't be talked into it).

Conroy has worked with some really good programs - Univ. of South Alabama, Catholic HS in Baton Rouge (Clyde Edwards Helaire from the Chiefs speaks highly of him), Eds and Holy Name locally. He has a Schaefer type no-nonsense attitude towards him, his players respect him and even have some of that 'fear' you need to have like Schaefer and Bortnick did. Young alum, teacher, won't need a six-figure deal.

Lee has literally built a program from the ground up in Columbus, has numerous kids that have earned or are headed towards MAJOR D1 scholarships and has poured his heart out getting kids from similar type backgrounds as he would have at HOC into college exposure. He was the Coach of the Year in the Columbus area last year. Same thing the kids would respect the HELL out of him.

The caveat to both- they would both be able to put very good staffs around them with a mix of experienced vets and hard working younger alums.

You cared about Matt Goul’s preseason rankings? It’s an article he has to write every year and has no idea if a team is going to be good or not. What a say day in Bengal football history that we are bringing that up.

You can say that they’re a top team in the state and this and that however these old folks in here still living in the glory days have absolutely ZEROOOO connection to the school. To the athletes. To the admin. They just want to pound their chest and say Go Bengals!
No I don't but if you read my post instead of just knee jerk reacting it was used as an example to show how others outside of the fan base you like to beat up on had higher expectations for this group than what they ended up doing on the field.

Does the school have the talent and is wasting it with bad "path" or has the path resulted in an absence of talent?
In my opinion both. They have the Jimmys and Joes to be .500 but not much better with the schedule as currently constituted. Now they have done a very poor job the past few years of instructing what talent they have had, especially along the lines and special teams at the varsity level, and overall on the freshmen team.

No I don't but if you read my post instead of just knee jerk reacting it was used as an example to show how others outside of the fan base you like to beat up on had higher expectations for this group than what they ended up doing on the field.
I know a guy that can make a banner for the Bengals Gymnasium. Would look great right next to the state championship banner the same decade as Korean War.

Attachments

• 973D9085-7E98-4BC8-A3BC-DA58823258C3.jpeg
    973D9085-7E98-4BC8-A3BC-DA58823258C3.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 19
In my opinion both. They have the Jimmys and Joes to be .500 but not much better with the schedule as currently constituted. Now they have done a very poor job the past few years of instructing what talent they have had, especially along the lines and special teams at the varsity level, and overall on the freshmen team.
Not allowed to say this. @fr willie says he is at every practice and the men are coached to the highest level imaginable. As a MOB member, you are now allowed to go against his word. Disgusting comment to insinuate the coach that sometimes isn’t at practice can’t win with Jimmy’s and Joe’s

Not allowed to say this. @fr willie says he is at every practice and the men are coached to the highest level imaginable. As a MOB member, you are now allowed to go against his word. Disgusting comment to insinuate the coach that sometimes isn’t at practice can’t win with Jimmy’s and Joe’s
Fr Willie must be realllllyyyy busy with his "assistant AD" job right now, haven't heard from him much lately.....

In all charity, this is high school football. It's about developing character, teamwork, and virtue. Do some of you have jobs? Families to tend to? You have quite a bit of free time; maybe you could volunteer at your local school and help coach? There is also a great need for bus drivers right now; I am sitting in a library currently and two senior citizen gentlemen (assumedly bus drivers) just had a conversation about that right in front of me. Maybe you can be part of the solution, not the problem?

Sport, properly directed, develops character, makes a man courageous, a generous loser, and a gracious victor; it refines the senses, gives intellectual penetration, and steels the will to endurance. It is not merely a physical development then. Sport, rightly understood, is an occupation of the whole man, and while perfecting the body as an instrument of the mind, it also makes the mind itself a more refined instrument for the search and communication of truth and helps man to achieve that end to which all others must be subservient, the service and praise of his Creator.

– Pope Pius XII,Sport at the Service of the Spirit July 29, 1945

In all charity, this is high school football. It's about developing character, teamwork, and virtue. Do some of you have jobs? Families to tend to? You have quite a bit of free time; maybe you could volunteer at your local school and help coach? There is also a great need for bus drivers right now; I am sitting in a library currently and two senior citizen gentlemen (assumedly bus drivers) just had a conversation about that right in front of me. Maybe you can be part of the solution, not the problem?
My only job is to find where @fr willie disappeared to. He had the loudest most vocal voice in all of Bengal land and he is now nowhere to be found. Even the neighbors on MLK drive are asking where he is.

You guys need to get Coach Fink back in the program. That guy had zero issues bringing in people with grade and behavior problems. Kids that were coming to the school to be athletes and not MOB.

If you guys had an aggressive recruiter like that again you wouldn’t have to worry about buying kids off the transfer portal as much. And actually develop your own 4 year players.

Ahhh yes the righteous "don't you have jobs" argument.... was waiting on that one!

As a matter of reference, I am working right now, looking out onto Lake Erie in fact. And I was a coach, for more than 10 years at this level, so I think I have a little bit of a clue on what's going on.

Now I'm not fancy enough to find a quote from Pope Pius, but I do know a little bit of the Good Book. "Reep what is sown" should be something Bengal apologists/ posters on here should catch up on ;)

But I'll just assumedly (???) go back to watching others be the problem

The Bengals will be fine as Auggie mentioned, things can change quickly in high school football. It’s always better in the area high school football scene when Benedictine is thriving. Their past success speaks for itself.

The Benedictine posters that were here earlier in the season will never be back to explain themselves, so it’s really useless to keep calling them out and pouring on. I think it’s safe to say there are some real good people on yappi supporting Benedictine, and they are still here. Time to close this thread and move on to hoops.

I had the Bengals around 7-3 or 6-4. I was WRONG. Never said anything about a State Championship. Changes need to be made ASAP. Fr.Willie did “yell” at me a few times on this thread as well. Forgive me Fr.Willie.

Ahhh yes the righteous "don't you have jobs" argument.... was waiting on that one!

As a matter of reference, I am working right now, looking out onto Lake Erie in fact. And I was a coach, for more than 10 years at this level, so I think I have a little bit of a clue on what's going on.

Now I'm not fancy enough to find a quote from Pope Pius, but I do know a little bit of the Good Book. "Reep what is sown" should be something Bengal apologists/ posters on here should catch up on ;)

But I'll just assumedly (???) go back to watching others be the problem
OSU I have talked to my alumni friends you were/are bashing. They will take the meeting with you to discuss your issues. Where would you like to meet?
ITsTime. See you easily found out who I am. No problems. That's called integrity. No reason to hide. None! Do the right thing.
NEO you are not a Benedictine guy. You are an antagonist. Nothing else. A bully who hides behind a Yappi handle.
All of you can slam me, Fr Willie, & all of the other Benedictine posters on here. It's your right.
It's easy to bash & slander, anything, or anyone, when talking behind a mask of anonymity.
Benedictine fans are loyal, passionate, & want the best for the school. They talk about winning, because that's what is usually the result at Benedictine. Not only on the football field. In the classroom, in life. Wins. There are down years in athletics. But somehow Benedictine always makes a comeback. The school makes a huge difference in many young men's lives. I am not a graduate of Benedictine. My son is. I have to credit many of his successes in life from what he learned while attending Benedictine.
I have 2 men that helped me as a young man to become a better man. Coach Bossu & Tony Russ. I owe them a world of gratitude.
That said. I do all I can to help Benedictine be successful.
Bash away boys. Bash Away!

OSU I have talked to my alumni friends you were/are bashing. They will take the meeting with you to discuss your issues. Where would you like to meet?
ITsTime. See you easily found out who I am. No problems. That's called integrity. No reason to hide. None! Do the right thing.
NEO you are not a Benedictine guy. You are an antagonist. Nothing else. A bully who hides behind a Yappi handle.
All of you can slam me, Fr Willie, & all of the other Benedictine posters on here. It's your right.
It's easy to bash & slander, anything, or anyone, when talking behind a mask of anonymity.
Benedictine fans are loyal, passionate, & want the best for the school. They talk about winning, because that's what is usually the result at Benedictine. Not only on the football field. In the classroom, in life. Wins. There are down years in athletics. But somehow Benedictine always makes a comeback. The school makes a huge difference in many young men's lives. I am not a graduate of Benedictine. My son is. I have to credit many of his successes in life from what he learned while attending Benedictine.
I have 2 men that helped me as a young man to become a better man. Coach Bossu & Tony Russ. I owe them a world of gratitude.
Do you have issues with Holy Name also?
What about Walsh? Are you not impressed with their uniform combination? Do you also agree it’s a school you should never lose to? Even though they have an all time winning records against you?

It shouldn't make a difference if he's an alum or not to have an opinion on a chat board????????
You don't like his opinions, don't read them or give them any mention??

Do you have issues with Holy Name also?
What about Walsh? Are you not impressed with their uniform combination? Do you also agree it’s a school you should never lose to? Even though they have an all time winning records against you?
This

You bring up HN a lot. So someone does think and care about them.

I can’t understand how you put them down. Is it because they win games? Have played in two regional finals in the past couple years? Their players don’t get arrested or shot? They don’t have to rely on the transfer portal and outsiders to come in and represent their school? Don’t have a revolving door of coaches? Don’t routinely get running clocked by teams that do the equal amount of recruiting and transfer portal poaching as them? Have a school in a neighborhood that people can actually go to a gas station at night, after a basketball game and not be in fear for their safety? Don’t have 65+yo alumni walking around in their old letterman jackets. Refusing to let the past go?

What is your actual beef with them? They don’t claim to be the Home of Champions. They don’t present themselves as a all time great program. They don’t lie to themselves saying they should be playing Chuck Kyle in his retirement year. Give Chuck the honor of playing the HOC in his last year. HN is a well ran program, that works hard, wins games and sends kids to college. They never pretend to be anything more than a hard working, blue collar program. But they continue to get brought up by you and that’s just weird.
The ONLY reason Holy Name has made it to a couple Regional Finals is because of the Region they play in. It’s an absolute joke. The years they’ve made the Regional Finals there have been a minimum of 5 Region 9 teams who would have beat them before that round.

Holy Name’s Regional Final appearances are smoke and mirrors, nothing more. They’re a slightly above average team, no more.

The ONLY reason Holy Name has made it to a couple Regional Finals is because of the Region they play in. It’s an absolute joke. The years they’ve made the Regional Finals there have been a minimum of 5 Region 9 teams who would have beat them before that round.

Holy Name’s Regional Final appearances are smoke and mirrors, nothing more. They’re a slightly above average team, no more.
Have to beat the teams that are put in front of you. The good, bad and everything inbetween.

Some paths are easier. Some are harder. It’s no fault to the kids. The kids don’t do the schedule. The kids don’t pick the region. All they have to do is show up and play who they are told to play.

Beating the bad teams is just as important we beating the good teams. If not you end up 0-10 and you then become the worst of the bad teams.

Wow. Inspirational post, Greg. Unfortunately for you, the arrogance that wreaks from the program isn’t enough to just bypass. The last few pages have been a mockery of the first 30 pages of arrogance and cockiness. I know that it irks you the MOB was out in full force even before the season started and now they can’t handle it. Bengal tough!

Only region bengals can compete in seems to be 10. Oh…or division four.

so this is about right. Benedictine is equal to (or lesser than) holy name.

Have to beat the teams that are put in front of you. The good, bad and everything inbetween.

Some paths are easier. Some are harder. It’s no fault to the kids. The kids don’t do the schedule. The kids don’t pick the region. All they have to do is show up and play who they are told to play.

Beating the bad teams is just as important we beating the good teams. If not you end up 0-10 and you then become the worst of the bad teams.
While I do agree with my fellow topper that they wouldn't last in region nine, they're well coached and play the region that they're told to play in. Top 5 in r9 would win r10, but a regional final is a regional final. Nothing to bat an eye at... At the end of the day I'm just happy that we don't have to play Benedictine round 1. That'd be a tough out. Region 10 winner in the state semi final's would be easy compared to that.

Yes. The 8 state titles and the prestigious Cleveland.com rankings is exactly why you should be playing the schedule you do. If you call yourself the home of champions then you should absolutely be playing other champion level teams.

The problem is. When things get tough. The strength of schedule gets brought up. The region gets brought up. The enrollment gets brought up. The division gets brought up. Teams being scared to play you gets brought up. Other teams in general get brought up.

How could a home of champions. A school with zero admissions standards, that will allow anyone athlete into the door, moan about all of the above? You’re champions. You poach the transfer portal every year. You allow anyone with a pulse and a good 40 into the school. You win state titles every 10 years. You have multiple uniform combinations. You’re playing the schedule that a school of your pedigree should be playing.

Lots of elite schools. In every division plays a tough schedule. Difference is. They are winning games. Not getting running clocked. Most likely have their coach showing up everyday to practice and going to qualify for the playoffs. Difference is none of them call themselves the home of champions and the accept and embrace the idea of playing the schedules they do. They don’t make excuses for getting exposed as not being the type of program their delusional alumni present them to currently be.
Dude give it a rest. You’re the type that makes the internet unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.