2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true. 6'7" 300 6'6" 295 6'3" 290 6'5 295 6'5" 300. That line is bigger than alot of Div l college lines. Their linebackers are beasts and defensive backs all run 4.4's.
Yep and I’ll bet ten years ago most of those linemen would’ve been Ignatius Wildcats. Ed’s is now pulling kids from Cuyahoga, Lake, Medina, Summit, Lorain, Geauga and even Ashtabula counties.

Yep and I’ll bet ten years ago most of those linemen would’ve been Ignatius Wildcats. Ed’s is now pulling kids from Cuyahoga, Lake, Medina, Summit, Lorain, Geauga and even Ashtabula counties.
Nope. The big linemen that Eds have would not have played at Iggy.

I disagree about Summit County. They for the most part go to Hoban

I’ve heard the same thing from 3 different staffs regarding the Bengals:
- Very nice skill players, besides Iliano (sp?) not much up front either side
- They play hard but sometimes it looks like guys/groups doing their own thing
- Poorly coached and disciplined . They look more like Central Catholic then Benedictine. Not a ton of teaching going on, it’s a yell fest

I’m sure Father will put me in my place… again just what I’ve been told from the outside

- Poorly coached and disciplined . They look more like Central Catholic then Benedictine. Not a ton of teaching going on, it’s a yell fest

I’m sure Father will put me in my place… again just what I’ve been told from the outside
They know we have a power 5 defensive end right?

Is today opposite day....this is the complete opposite...poor skill players but trenches will be their strength

From three other staffs… of course maybe they don’t feel as high on some of the guys you do?
Well that can only be RR, Glenville, N Ridgeville and Ed's since they are the only ones who have seen Benny....IMO in a real game they beat 3/4 and lose to Ed's....the real season starts Saturday so who really cares what other staffs say....focus will be on Walsh for the next 6 days

Well that can only be RR, Glenville, N Ridgeville and Eds since they are the only ones who have seen Benny....IMO in a real game they beat 3/4 and lose to Ed's
You have 2- the other staff plays them coming up
Was just relying what I’ve heard.

You have 2- the other staff plays them coming up
Was just relying what I’ve heard.
Well that is good news if Walsh feels that way...from what I heard Benny has been prepping for Walsh for 2 weeks and didn't do much at all from the scrimmages...we will find out Saturday if that staff was right

Did not speak to anyone from Walsh

You don’t think it’s normal for a team to prepare for their opener that long? Having coached a while, I was never on a staff where we weren’t solely focused on our opener the second after that first Sat contact practice was over. I expect a really good game from Benny and Walsh two teams who will prob be playing Week 11 & beyond

You don’t think it’s normal for a team to prepare for their opener that long? Having coached a while, I was never on a staff where we weren’t solely focused on our opener the second after that first Sat contact practice was over. I expect a really good game from Benny and Walsh two teams who will prob be playing Week 11 & beyond
That’s just process of elimination. Doubt you talked to TCC, maybe Heights but what could they know, definitely not Dematha.

That’s just process of elimination. Doubt you talked to TCC, maybe Heights but what could they know, definitely not Dematha.
Well you have the Heights part right ???

I wouldn’t look too much into your “process of elimination” theory.

One of my favorite traditions - stereotyping high school football teams when they aren’t playing well:

Predominately black HS football team struggles: selfish players, lack discipline and are poorly coached

Predominately white HS football team struggles: players work hard and are well coached but lack speed and playmakers

It could be normal, but my point was when you face 3 teams like RR, NR and Gville you may face 3 different defenses or offenses and then you get to Ed's and they are blitzing, stunting and no preparation you could look bad...Benny will be prepared for Walsh, but they also have to prove it Saturday night

I have not been here for a few weeks as this place feels like drama central. On the one hand it is a good thing that folks have an interest in the program unlike the later Bortnick years but on the other hand I feel like this fan base is like a bunch of old women that bicker over any minor minutia that bubbles up during the course of a day. Now I have not seen live action in person so far this summer but have talked to folks that have and have heard some similar takes to what our Padua fan has listed. Some of my thoughts as we head into the opener:

• On the positive, expectations are high and the kids seem to be buying into and accepting the challenge and goals of the year. When dealing with teens frame of mind is an important part to success.
  • Key for this team will not be regular season record but how they grow during the year and what happens in the post season. Also I would be OK with Ls and aggressive mistakes as long as players get better and additional guys show they contribute and add depth to the team.
  • That being said my biggest worry is some guys appear to be more focused on things other than what is going on the field. A couple years back Benny had on paper this great OL that really fell far short of expectations, they were more worried about posting picture of weight room success and such; hearing this group of linemen might be falling into a similar trap. Hope I am wrong but heard the Ed's test was a disaster for the lines, yes I know Ed's is loaded with Div I guys all over their lines and they played them a lot but from what I hear Benny didn't show any sack up front.
  • Not sure what to think of the skills just yet. If the DL can meet expectations that will hide deficiencies in the secondary but on offense I hear there is nobody stepping up to be a playmaker. The one guy who has been mentioned the most in preseason hasn't been called out since the pads came on and there seems to be no buzz from the scrimmages or even the 7 v 7s saying you have to stop X guy. That is very un Benny like.
  • As for the coaching... LY the staff took a step forward, the schemes and play calling improved a lot over 2020. I also think the sideline was much better managed in '21 but if there is any regression back that would be cause for alarm. What I really want to see from them this year is growth in paying attention to detail, in particular not being surprised by any situation that may come up on or off the field. Many staffs think they can catch Benny sleeping and things like trick plays and any irregulates not on tape throw off this staff and they break sideline discipline. This not only happens on the field but off the field, the end of the Massillon game from '20 is an example of this. Again things have gotten better but would like to see the next step up happen in '22.
The Walsh game is a great opener and a true test as to where Benny stands at this point. This is an up and coming program that really wants to take that next step, solid football players but in particular their coaching staff is well regarded and many think these guys can coach circles around marginal HS coaches. Its not like Benny doesn't know what they are facing either, they have seen them enough over the past 2 years so hopefully there will be no surprises. Maybe it is time to start a thread on this game?

To (hopefully) get the conversation back on track, thought I would share game-by-game season projections from Massey Ratings. For those unfamiliar, this is a computer rankings site that does all sorts of different sports including HS football.

Before you all start losing your minds at this - these are team level rankings, assigning offense & defense ratings that I'm pretty sure are only based on prior scores (adjusted for strength of opposition). Therefore, these do not account for changes in personnel, player progression/development, etc. from season to season. You can make the case that this might result in us being a bit underrated, which is fine and probably justified, but thought this would be a good starting point to discuss this year's outlook and what best/worst cases might look like.

5 more days... Go Bengals!

BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL 2022
Massey Ratings: #24 in Ohio, #523 in USA, Projected Record (6.2 - 3.8)

1660581804800.png

Last edited:
To (hopefully) get the conversation back on track, thought I would share game-by-game season projections from Massey Ratings. For those unfamiliar, this is a computer rankings site that does all sorts of different sports including HS football.

Before you all start losing your minds at this - these are team level rankings, assigning offense & defense ratings that I'm pretty sure are only based on prior scores (adjusted for strength of opposition). Therefore, these do not account for changes in personnel, player progression/development, etc. from season to season. You can make the case that this might result in us being a bit underrated, which is fine and probably justified, but thought this would be a good starting point to discuss this year's outlook and what best/worst cases might look like.

5 more days... Go Bengals!

BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL 2022
Massey Ratings: #24 in Ohio, #523 in USA, Projected Record (6.2 - 3.8)
Not a bad projection, tough schedule & a lot of unknowns for the Bengals & their opponents. I had a range of 5-7 wins

I have not been here for a few weeks as this place feels like drama central. On the one hand it is a good thing that folks have an interest in the program unlike the later Bortnick years but on the other hand I feel like this fan base is like a bunch of old women that bicker over any minor minutia that bubbles up during the course of a day. Now I have not seen live action in person so far this summer but have talked to folks that have and have heard some similar takes to what our Padua fan has listed. Some of my thoughts as we head into the opener:

• On the positive, expectations are high and the kids seem to be buying into and accepting the challenge and goals of the year. When dealing with teens frame of mind is an important part to success.
  • Key for this team will not be regular season record but how they grow during the year and what happens in the post season. Also I would be OK with Ls and aggressive mistakes as long as players get better and additional guys show they contribute and add depth to the team.
  • That being said my biggest worry is some guys appear to be more focused on things other than what is going on the field. A couple years back Benny had on paper this great OL that really fell far short of expectations, they were more worried about posting picture of weight room success and such; hearing this group of linemen might be falling into a similar trap. Hope I am wrong but heard the Ed's test was a disaster for the lines, yes I know Ed's is loaded with Div I guys all over their lines and they played them a lot but from what I hear Benny didn't show any sack up front.
  • Not sure what to think of the skills just yet. If the DL can meet expectations that will hide deficiencies in the secondary but on offense I hear there is nobody stepping up to be a playmaker. The one guy who has been mentioned the most in preseason hasn't been called out since the pads came on and there seems to be no buzz from the scrimmages or even the 7 v 7s saying you have to stop X guy. That is very un Benny like.
  • As for the coaching... LY the staff took a step forward, the schemes and play calling improved a lot over 2020. I also think the sideline was much better managed in '21 but if there is any regression back that would be cause for alarm. What I really want to see from them this year is growth in paying attention to detail, in particular not being surprised by any situation that may come up on or off the field. Many staffs think they can catch Benny sleeping and things like trick plays and any irregulates not on tape throw off this staff and they break sideline discipline. This not only happens on the field but off the field, the end of the Massillon game from '20 is an example of this. Again things have gotten better but would like to see the next step up happen in '22.
The Walsh game is a great opener and a true test as to where Benny stands at this point. This is an up and coming program that really wants to take that next step, solid football players but in particular their coaching staff is well regarded and many think these guys can coach circles around marginal HS coaches. Its not like Benny doesn't know what they are facing either, they have seen them enough over the past 2 years so hopefully there will be no surprises. Maybe it is time to start a thread on this game?
I've been to one 7 on 7 & the Glenville/RR/NR scrimmage. Padua guy has some valid points.
OFFENSE
RB's look good, but small.
QB is inconsistent. Working out the sophomore kinks.
WR drop too many passes.
O-Line is slow, miss assignments, seem confused at times on who their assignment is. But they are the strength of this offense. When they get it right. Huge holes. More Consistency needed.
DEFENSE
DB's do not react to the ball. There is too much separation. Mostly on slants & out routes. Safety's look lost in coverage.
LB's do not fill. They catch the ball carrier. They reach. No one runs through the tackle. No One!
D-Line is the strength of the defense. Too bad the senior transfer from Rhodes can only play 5 games. He's the real deal.
COACHING
Too much celebrating with the players. Why? Too much yelling without correcting. You can't celebrate & then discipline. It causes confusion. One way or the other.
Remember. You're not players anymore. You are coaches.
There needs to be an increase in consistency.
Play calling on the offensive side of the ball is same as always. Nothing has changed. Maybe not wanting to show anything?
Defensive play calls were vanilla. Again. Maybe not wanting to show anything???
GAMES
Walsh has arrived. Benedictine will need to be prepared for the level Walsh will be playing at. Great coaching gives Walsh the edge in this one.
TCC Strap 'em up. That's all I have to say about this game.
Cleveland Hts. Big, Fast, Strong. Benedictine will need to play disciplined football to win this one.
DeMatha St Ed's type football team. Huge Challenge
Buchtel Need to stay disciplined. Focus for the win.
Boardman Never can tell what they can put together. Always a battle.
Brecksville Well coached. Gets everything out of their players. Don't take this team lightly.
Cathedral Prep Big, Big, Big. This team is always in the hunt for a PA state championship. Play this game with passion.
Hoban. You All Know!
Nordonia. Don't take them lightly 2 years in a row.
The posters/MOB members will undoubtedly take offense to these negative observations. I could talk about the few positives I saw. Why? That part of the team is already fixed. There are some things that need to be adjusted.
Consistency will be key in all facets for this team to win ball games.
Consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.