2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither team played particularly well, but it’s hard to say how much the opponent and the weather had to do with this.

This was Walsh’s first win in the first week of the season (not necessarily the opening game for Walsh) since 2011 against Louisville. The game was decided on a last second game winning field goal by Ross Martin.

Just a couple observations: offense too one sided (kid has a good arm but how about setting up the passes); with the speed of this team what happened to an outside running game; Play calling in overtime without a plan of attack; did coaches scout at all? No plan to stop a very good running QB (seemed surprise) How about a spy? Hot dog play after a reception cost them big time (Muny League BS not BHS). Very disappointed in the overall demeanor of this team—more trash talking then necessary, seemed to be very little corrections made by coaching staff. Guess they condone such actions. How many guys do you need on the sidelines? Seemed to add to the general look of confusion, chaos, and confusion displayed on the field. Not having a running back on the field in OT and a QB that was surprised to be going out on the fields just screams no preparation by coaches, especially the head coach. This is something that should be worked on at practice. Did they ever run their OT offense? If yes, they sure need more work. Delay of game penalty in OT demonstrates lack of preparation. Did OC or Head Coach ever explain OT rules to the offense, just in case it ever happened?

Yes, they played hard, almost won, and could have won with any kind of special team play but the last play of the game summarized the entire game. Get a kicker and punter and maybe work on special teams. If you say they do work on special teams—change what they are doing—it’s not working. Finally, when a coaching staff is disciplined the team will follow. My two cents.

Tell me where I am wrong Fr. Willie. Not usually this negative but this team needs to have a structure and I am afraid this staff will continue to let uncontrolled emotion continue. As I watched Walsh players and compared to ours what a difference. One last example, play run on the Walsh sidelines, Bennie runner run out of bounds five Bengals running to side line looking to start something is not a good look and don’t say that is teammates supporting teammates. Nothing happened to cause such an action. Ref ultimately walked one of our players to the sideline because he could not keep his mouth shut. Once again, not a BHS attitude. Willie you worked with Coach, what would he say?
So I just read the stats from last night....38 rushes vs 31 passes so no clue what you are talking about with one sided. Secondly, from what I saw the passes were set up with great design as I saw the RB and TE running free by 10 yds on both occasions....just didn't execute and finish the throws and this was after they hit a huge 60 yd TD to the RB on a route up the sidelines....speaking of OT, the WR had the ball in the corner of the end zone for a game winner, the ball was slightly under thrown but I believe he would say he needs to make that play. Now, Special Teams was not good with a kickoff return, 2 fumbled snaps on XP and a block punt and still should have won that game convincingly. I keep hearing how good Alexander is, but Benny dominated that game in the air and on the ground and for a young team that will be prone to mistakes early, I'm sure this staff will use these teaching moments to improve as the season progresses. If Walsh is a true contender in D2, Benny will be a tough out in D3 when these young guys mature

Just to recap, Walsh scored 28 of 38 points on the following plays:

1) Kickoff returned for TD
2) Scoop and score on unforced fumble
3) Short field after blocked punt
4) double pass trick play in OT

Just to recap, Walsh scored 28 of 38 points on the following plays:

1) Kickoff returned for TD
2) Scoop and score on unforced fumble
3) Short field after blocked punt
4) double pass trick play in
So Walsh should of lost is what you are saying. Walsh's special teams helped them where as Benedictine's hurt them. Special teams is an important phase of the game. It was the first game with a lot of mistakes on both sides. Im sure both teams will be a tough out in the playoffs.

Everybody relax!!! Bengals will pull a kid off the soccer team to kick, they’ll be just fine on special teams. This is such a young but highly talented team, they’ll be just fine!

Everybody relax!!! Bengals will pull a kid off the soccer team to kick, they’ll be just fine on special teams. This is such a young but highly talented team, they’ll be just fine!
Agree. I think some easy fixes. Benedictine could of just as easily of won that game. Walsh is no slouch and it went to double OT.

89976E39-4D6A-4DDF-A5AB-D6F7A64D0DC8.jpeg
This kid has potential …

You should not refer to people as idiots. You make a lot of comments as if you are in the know in Bengal Land. You definitely are not a coach. You have been posting too long to be a student. Waterboy??
Last time I'm going to tell you this. Jake is the assistant Athletic Director at Benedictine. He is on the sideline for every game. Every Game! He knows more about current Benedictine football than all of us combined.

I’m not a huge fan of Benedictine but my goodness they lost to Walsh by 1 in double overtime in a HS game.

i was at a game this week where the losing team (like blowout loss) sang the alma matter and raised their helmets to the band after the game.

I mean, come on guys. The Bengals will keep up the fight. Don’t jump yet!

Last edited:
The next 3 games on Benedictine's schedule are going to make or break the season.
TCC lost by 3 to St Ed's. I didn't see the game, but I know the result of the St Ed's scrimmage. Could be a long night.
Cleveland Hts. is going to be a challenge. They will be a tough opponent.
DeMatha is in the same caliber as St Ed's.
Need to bring it together quickly, as the next 3 games are no joke.

The next 3 games on Benedictine's schedule are going to make or break the season.
This team could lose the next 3 games and still go to the regional championship so I wouldn’t say it’s make or break. Won’t feel good for a month but with 16 teams making the playoffs, all we have to do is get in.

I agree with you that they can make noise, but if you can't beat Walsh or Cleveland Heights, getting to the Championship in R9 as the #15, #16 seed would be no easy feat. They should beat Cleveland Heights though, correct?

This team could lose the next 3 games and still go to the regional championship so I wouldn’t say it’s make or break. Won’t feel good for a month but with 16 teams making the playoffs, all we have to do is get
Will Benedictine beat Hoban?
Will Benedictine beat Erie Prep?
There is a good chance that Benedictine will not win these games.
That said. Does 4-6 get you in the R9 playoffs?
Cleveland Hts is better than everybody on this thread thinks.
That leaves Boardman, Buchtel, Nordonia, & Brecksville.
With lack of focus, this team could fall to 2-8.

Will Benedictine beat Hoban?
Will Benedictine beat Erie Prep?
There is a good chance that Benedictine will not win these games.
That said. Does 4-6 get you in the R9 playoffs?
Cleveland Hts is better than everybody on this thread thinks.
That leaves Boardman, Buchtel, Nordonia, & Brecksville.
With lack of focus, this team could fall to 2-8.
Yes, we will be Cathedral Prep, by the time this team gets to week 8 there won’t be any of those mistakes that happened on Saturday.

I know Cleveland Heights is good, so are we.

St. Benedict himself will come back to life before this team goes 2-8.

Yes, we will be Cathedral Prep, by the time this team gets to week 8 there won’t be any of those mistakes that happened on Saturday.

I know Cleveland Heights is good, so are we.

St. Benedict himself will come back to life before this team goes 2-8.
I sort of agree. The team may not be making the same mistakes, but what about the poor coaching? Going for the end zone on 3 straight passes into coverage when all they needed was less than 10 yards for 1st down? Always going for 20+ yards when they needed a lot less. No outside running or passing down the middle. Being out-coached by Walsh didn't help. The play calling needs some changes. We have the play-makers, but...

I sort of agree. The team may not be making the same mistakes, but what about the poor coaching? Going for the end zone on 3 straight passes into coverage when all they needed was less than 10 yards for 1st down? Always going for 20+ yards when they needed a lot less. No outside running or passing down the middle. Being out-coached by Walsh didn't help. The play calling needs some changes. We have the play-makers, but...
We must have watched different games….
We had touchdowns on both outside runs and passes down the middle.
Plus JJ had that insane catch on the sidelines that was just past the marker. We tried out routes to cloud and Reed on 4th down so I’m not sure where you’re getting any of this from.
I agree that the play calling in overtime was less than desirable, but our offensive coaching has been outstanding for 4 years now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.