2022 Akron City Series

That's a dimension to the East offense that could really put them on a different level than years prior.
No doubt about it, it is definitely something that the City has not had a for good long while, being that the City is known for its tremendous running backs that have come out of here for years, its a nice change of pace to see a good QB. I think much like the transfer portal has had an effect on college football, the same can be said with the City Series and Akrons private schools, the kids that go and get either overlooked due to skill or politics within the frameworks of the Hobans and STVMs of the world who come back to their home schools have been very successful.

Looking at the Beacon Journal top performances from last week I was struck by the number of really good passing performances led by Justin Cox. I wonder if we are seeing a transition to more of a passing game at the high school level.
Rumor has it there is another decent passer in the league.

Justin Cox is the East QB. Had a strong junior season in 2021 after transferring to East from Hoban (where he spent his first two seasons). Cox threw for over 2,000 yards and 25 scores as a junior and was invited to the Elite 11 Regional Competition in the spring of '22.
I didn't realize Cox was originally at Hoban. That makes 3 former Hoban QB's who are now starting at area schools this season.
Justin Cox at East, Robbie Klockner at Green, and Luke Fischer at Wadsworth are the ones I'm talking about.

Smooth,

Funny that you mention Mike Buckner. I remember playing golf with him a few years ago at Mud Run or Good Park. I seem to remember the best part of his game was his foot wedge.

Some good points. The APS (as well as the City of Akron) has many issues and athletics is not and should not be at the top of the priority list. I'd be content with the bottom teams coming up to the level of being competitive and the better teams being closer to where East is now.

Also, as I have said a bunch of times, combing two piles of **** generally only results in one larger pile of ****. A combined Buchtel-Firestone would be D1 in football at 681 boys. East-Ellet totals 688 making it also D1. I don't see those teams as particularly competitive in D1.

In addition, while bigger schools may be better financially due to a economy of scale, they're not always better academically.

Some good points. The APS (as well as the City of Akron) has many issues and athletics is not and should not be at the top of the priority list. I'd be content with the bottom teams coming up to the level of being competitive and the better teams being closer to where East is now.

Also, as I have said a bunch of times, combing two piles of **** generally only results in one larger pile of ****. A combined Buchtel-Firestone would be D1 in football at 681 boys. East-Ellet totals 688 making it also D1. I don't see those teams as particularly competitive in D1.

In addition, while bigger schools may be better financially due to a economy of scale, they're not always better academically.
I was in the process of citing you and that particular phrase. You are on the ball!

Where East is now? They are really bad...probably lose to Buchtel. Akron does not need six schools! And yes, entire city is a mess.

Where East is now? They are really bad...probably lose to Buchtel. Akron does not need six schools! And yes, entire city is a mess.
Week 1 almost wins against a D1 opponent after losing potential P5 D1 running back and WR2, Week 2 loses to a tough Dover team that lost in the Elite 8 Last year to eventual champion Chardon all without their WR1 and Top RB….but sure, they are “really bad”. East plays a gauntlet, much like Buchtel does, in the first 5 weeks to prepare themselves to steamroll in the city and play a competitive game along with Buchtel but sure they’re really bad.

Week 1 almost wins against a D1 opponent after losing potential P5 D1 running back and WR2, Week 2 loses to a tough Dover team that lost in the Elite 8 Last year to eventual champion Chardon all without their WR1 and Top RB….but sure, they are “really bad”. East plays a gauntlet, much like Buchtel does, in the first 5 weeks to prepare themselves to steamroll in the city and play a competitive game along with Buchtel but sure they’re really bad.
Apparently you didn't see how bad Jackson was this weekend. And Dover absolutely steamrolled them and Lake will do the same. Sure, blame it on your Athletic Director but East will have to really scrape to see Week 11. Not rooting against them by any means, just reality.

Apparently you didn't see how bad Jackson was this weekend. And Dover absolutely steamrolled them and Lake will do the same. Sure, blame it on your Athletic Director but East will have to really scrape to see Week 11. Not rooting against them by any means, just reality.
I was there, on the sidelines of both games and will be there come week 11 as well-never once did i blame it on the athletic director? I pointed out that the schedule is designed this way on purpose so that there are no surprises come week 11 in a very tough region 9.

I was there, on the sidelines of both games and will be there come week 11 as well-never once did i blame it on the athletic director? I pointed out that the schedule is designed this way on purpose so that there are no surprises come week 11 in a very tough region 9.
Good luck to the Dragons and I meant no disrespect...I hope they make Week 11, but I think it will be an uphill battle.

Good luck to the Dragons and I meant no disrespect...I hope they make Week 11, but I think it will be an uphill battle.
As with any team in the city it will be an uphill battle, this is the same East team who started 0-5 last season to battle back and make week 11. In years prior without the expanded 16 team format the dragons would be a sitting duck and DOA for any shot at the playoffs but now more than ever its not about going undefeated its about going 5-5 or 6-4 to get in. North winning will help East even if just in the slightest and they still have some winnable out of league games to pick up additional points outside of the city.

Dover is very good, it's tough to travel to T-county (Dover at that) on a Friday night for anyone in Akron, APS kids not in school for the first 2 games doesn't help. I wouldn't judge East on either first two games. My experience is that city schools like East struggle early finding themselves and get better week to week. Hayes will here too.

Akron's population today is essentially what it was in 1920. EAST was the 5th public high school along with St V, St Mary and Sacred Heart Academy (located next to St Bernard's church). Point is, Akron in 1922 was booming despite post war turndown in the economy and Spanish Flu. Sound familiar! Central, South 1911, West 1914, North 1918 all fielded respectable programs.
I found a report to the state by aps to the state board on how aps fared that year. In the section on sports, the aps admits no money for football stadiums, BUT....writes as alumni association's evolve they expect the boosters will fund fields. I know East had it made with Seiberling Field as home (Goodyear Tire was Easts benefactor for over a decade). East also had Palmer Field as on campus practice field.
Now, Akron in decline for 6 decades now, only needs 4 high schools. There is no way the City Series will match suburban schools in resources. Always had one hand tied behind the back but still had so many competitive programs in all sports. Now, with all the open enrollment and choice programs, I don't know how Mr Vassolti and Mr Linger keep it together. God bless them because keeping this ship afloat has to be the toughest job in Ohio.

Akron's population today is essentially what it was in 1920. EAST was the 5th public high school along with St V, St Mary and Sacred Heart Academy (located next to St Bernard's church). Point is, Akron in 1922 was booming despite post war turndown in the economy and Spanish Flu. Sound familiar! Central, South 1911, West 1914, North 1918 all fielded respectable programs.
I found a report to the state by aps to the state board on how aps fared that year. In the section on sports, the aps admits no money for football stadiums, BUT....writes as alumni association's evolve they expect the boosters will fund fields. I know East had it made with Seiberling Field as home (Goodyear Tire was Easts benefactor for over a decade). East also had Palmer Field as on campus practice field.
Now, Akron in decline for 6 decades now, only needs 4 high schools. There is no way the City Series will match suburban schools in resources. Always had one hand tied behind the back but still had so many competitive programs in all sports. Now, with all the open enrollment and choice programs, I don't know how Mr Vassolti and Mr Linger keep it together. God bless them because keeping this ship afloat has to be the toughest job in Ohio.
So does anyone know where the old South, East and North Buildings were?