2022 Akron City Series

Thanks, Hub. How did they look? Poland has had some pretty quality teams in the past, so that was probably a nice physical test for the Griffs.
I'm not a football coach so take anything I say with lots of grains of salt. I hear they were missing some key players but they look like they are not afraid to be physical. I think the D line and linebackers are improved from last year and that seemed to bear out during the scrimmage. The O line has good size and hopefully that turns into good performances, they pass protected well in the scrimmage but still has some work to do as do all of their units. Their Sophomore QB has a lot of upside but needs to work on his consistency. They scrimmage Massillon this week, that should be really interesting.

Good luck to the Akron City Series teams this season. The Massillon Tiger football program has decades long relationships with your schools. In fact, our 8th and 7th grade teams are playing a couple games this season.

Last edited:
Back in the 50's and 60's they could have been called anything. They could play with anyone in the state.
I liked Ramdogs. I remember the rivalry with East, then called the Orientals.
Rodney Dingle and coach Dom Patella vs Ray Matthews and of course the legend, Dan "Babe" Flossie.
The Rubber Bowl was rockin' and a rollin' when they matched up.
Those were the days. Friday night City Series double headers at the Bowl.
I went to Ellet so after our home games I was able to get to the Bowl for the second half of the second game.
Then out to Tallmadge Circle for Lujan's Burger Boys and their onion rings.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the memories.
Damn, I remember those times. I moved from The Park, to Stow in the early 1960’s, during the Larry Csonka days. Was Ellet playing in the Metro League, back then ?

Damn, I remember those times. I moved from The Park, to Stow in the early 1960’s, during the Larry Csonka days. Was Ellet playing in the Metro League, back then ?
You know it. Do you remember who his QB was?
I believe it was Kipp Koski.
Ellet was in the Metro. My sophmore year we were 0-10, junior 5-5 and my senior year we tied Coventry and Ron Rector for the
Metro title.
Ellet had a pretty good running back then too. Bill Moye.
He was around 6 feet and weighed around 200 lbs. He was 10.4-10.6 in the hundred YARD dash.
The Park? Are you talking Firestone Park?
If so, I grew up with a few guys from Firestone Park.
One, Joe Dunn, worked in the Akron U athletic department and still broadcasts for the Zips football and hoops.
He also does play by play for highschool games in Stark County.
They were some good times. A long, long, long time ago.

Ellet was in the Metro. My sophmore year we were 0-10, junior 5-5 and my senior year we tied Coventry and Ron Rector for the
Metro title.
He was around 6 feet and weighed around 200 lbs. He was 10.4-10.6 in the hundred YARD dash.
One, Joe Dunn, worked in the Akron U athletic department and still broadcasts for the Zips football and hoops.
My cousin dated Kip Koski at Stow-Munroe Falls!!

Koski was the star of that team. If I remember correctly, he scholarshipped to Iowa St. That was a very good Stow team, that won the Metro in 62 or 63. And yes, I am referring to Firestone Park. As I stated once before, Felix Latona, Central’s head coach lived next door, the Flossie’s were 3 doors down, and 2 doors the other way, was a kid named Jimmy Geraci. He QB’d a very good Hoban team that went 7-3 in 65, 9-1 in 66 losing only a 22-21 game to Struthers, and 7-1-2 in 1967. These were the glory days for Akron football. Great times, Great memories.

Koski was the star of that team. If I remember correctly, he scholarshipped to Iowa St. That was a very good Stow team, that won the Metro in 62 or 63. And yes, I am referring to Firestone Park. As I stated once before, Felix Latona, Central’s head coach lived next door, the Flossie’s were 3 doors down, and 2 doors the other way, was a kid named Jimmy Geraci. He QB’d a very good Hoban team that went 7-3 in 65, 9-1 in 66 losing only a 22-21 game to Struthers, and 7-1-2 in 1967. These were the glory days for Akron football. Great times, Great memories.
Wow, you lived on a football-rich street!

The late Jim Geraci was an excellent Hoban QB, piloting strong squads in '65 and '66, as you noted. Hoban's only loss in '66 was actually to Steubenville in the opener (24-0), as they beat Struthers 56-0 that season. Geraci graduated in 1967. Wil Schwarzinger was the Knights' QB in the '67 season, in which Struthers indeed dealt Hoban its only loss by the 22-21 margin you mentioned.

The late Jim Geraci was an excellent Hoban QB, piloting strong squads in '65 and '66, as you noted. Hoban's only loss in '66 was actually to Steubenville in the opener (24-0), as they beat Struthers 56-0 that season. Geraci graduated in 1967. Wil Schwarzinger was the Knights' QB in the '67 season, in which Struthers indeed dealt Hoban its only loss by the 22-21 margin you mentioned.
You are correct. It was '67 that Hoban came to Struthers with I believe a 15 game winning streak.
I was a young kid then, living about two blocks from the stadium.
The stadium was packed, but I remember the place went into complete darkness around halftime I think. Something tells me they shut the lights for a fire baton show, and took perhaps 35 minutes to get them back. Think Struthers was losing at the time, but finally went ahead shortly after.
And correct ..... Hoban 56 Struthers 0 the previous year at Hoban.

I may have articles of the games. Just may need to look for them.

Those were great times for high school football. Seriously great times.

You are correct on all counts. I got my info mixed up. Sorry to hear that Jim has passed, his younger brother Dave, was my best friend back in those days. That 1966 Hoban team was very good, beating Garfield, Alliance, St.Ed’s and Canton Central Cath. to name a few. The 2 All City QB’s that year, were recently passed Tim Flossie of Garfield, who would become a legendary coach in the ACS and Kenmore’s Don Plusquellic, who later served as the Mayor of Akron for 28 years. Although I didn’t graduate until 1971, as a youngster, we had some great times and saw some great football out at the Rubber Bowl, in the 60’s. The Previews, Doubleheaders, and Turkey Day mornings.

Last edited:
Saw Garfield scrimmage Coventry last night in a 2 quarter game-situation scrimmage and all I can say is that the first year in the new building at Garfield is NOT going to help the Rams at all. They actually have decent size, but they do not move really well. They insist on runnign from the shotgun with a pistol TB, and the ydo not get the snap half the time, and the times they seem to get the snap, the running back appears to go the wrong way. Really sad to see the state of the Rams. They may want to make sure that the North game is their Homecoming game because that may be the only game they have a chance, and notice, I said a CHANCE, not a guarantee, to win this year.

Saw Garfield scrimmage Coventry last night in a 2 quarter game-situation scrimmage and all I can say is that the first year in the new building at Garfield is NOT going to help the Rams at all. They actually have decent size, but they do not move really well. They insist on runnign from the shotgun with a pistol TB, and the ydo not get the snap half the time, and the times they seem to get the snap, the running back appears to go the wrong way. Really sad to see the state of the Rams. They may want to make sure that the North game is their Homecoming game because that may be the only game they have a chance, and notice, I said a CHANCE, not a guarantee, to win this year.
Sad to hear. How did the Comets look? Or tough to tell due the Rams shortcomings?

Metro title.
Coventry won the Metro in ‘56, ‘57, ‘58, and ‘63. ‘56 co-champs with Tallmadge, ‘57 co-champs with Springfield. Ron Rector (RB) played on the 59-61 teams
Sad to hear. How did the Comets look? Or tough to tell due the Rams shortcomings?
Coventry did well in their scrimmage against Crestwood last week. Scored two touchdowns by a big pass and big run. They have 16 seniors returning with experience. Didn’t see the Garfield scrimmage though...

Not sure but I heard Hoban wasn't too nice to them in their scrimmage.
Hoban is yet again the cream of the crop and it shows, East will again be a force in the City Series with a tough out of conference schedule including matchups against Dover and a visit to a familiar face in Ricky Powers now at Brush. East returns a lot of starters including their Starting QB, RB, WRs (minus all city POTY Eric Holley III) and some key contributors on the Defensive side including a recent KSU committ, all in all East will have several college commits taking the field this fall. College commits are nice on paper but they dont mean much unless they play like it on the field, and like all city teams, if they can minimize their mistakes (and keep their composure) I believe we can see the 2022 edition of East football playing into week 11. From what it sounds like across the city it will be East and Buchtel again vying for supremacy with others playing catch up. Good luck to all City Teams as we are officially into Week 1!

Coventry won the Metro in ‘56, ‘57, ‘58, and ‘63. ‘56 co-champs with Tallmadge, ‘57 co-champs with Springfield. Ron Rector (RB) played on the 59-61 teams
What happened, after the Comet’s pretty much owned the Metro ? I read they tied for 2nd in ‘64, then were in the cellar 4 straight years, then gone from the League in ‘69. Was it Admin. that was anti sports, coaching changes ? There has to be something afoul, for a program with the success they showed year after year, to just collapse like that. Do you know ?

What happened, after the Comet’s pretty much owned the Metro ? I read they tied for 2nd in ‘64, then were in the cellar 4 straight years, then gone from the League in ‘69. Was it Admin. that was anti sports, coaching changes ? There has to be something afoul, for a program with the success they showed year after year, to just collapse like that. Do you know ?
Yes coaching changes and enrollment figures were factors. Also I’m sure changes in the administration played a part as well. Coventry had much success in the late 50’s/early 60’s in the Metro League. After winning three straight titles from 1956-1958 coach Art Pardee left. They hired his assistant coach Calvin McCoy starting ‘59 who continued the success with the Ron Rector years. They won the title again in ‘63 under him and then Calvin McCoy retired. ‘64 newcomer Ravenna was Metro Champs and Coventry tied for second, like you said. 1965-1968 they went to last place and had trouble competing with the larger Metro League schools. In all sports. Enrollment dropped and more coaching changes so they applied to the smaller school Suburban League (at that time) and was accepted beginning 1969-70 school year. Mogadore had just left the Suburban for the Portage County League to create the opening.

Last edited:
Coventry looks like they could have a nice team if they stay healthy, but isn't that the same for most teams, staying healthy. Garfield was so bad, Our Lady of the Elms could have fielded a team and played with them. Coventry has a nice looking shifty RB, decent size on the line, and the QB throws decent ball. They have a good-sized WR, Wilcox, I believe, that will go get the ball. Overall, I think they can get 6-7 wins this year. Stay healthy and overachieve, 8 wins.

I heard there was an ugly incident at a three way scrimmage at Tallmadge between Firestone and Ravenna. Big sideline fight between Firestone and Ravenna players, people joining the fray from the stands, police called...

Coventry looks like they could have a nice team if they stay healthy, but isn't that the same for most teams, staying healthy. Garfield was so bad, Our Lady of the Elms could have fielded a team and played with them. Coventry has a nice looking shifty RB, decent size on the line, and the QB throws decent ball. They have a good-sized WR, Wilcox, I believe, that will go get the ball. Overall, I think they can get 6-7 wins this year. Stay healthy and overachieve, 8 wins.
Glad to hear. Coventry does have 16 returning seniors with experience. This should be a good year. But many double on offense/defense and they don’t have a lot of depth in case of injuries. They have 48 players total now. A very strong freshman class that are still green but many will get experience this year for the future. Chase Rankin (Sr) is the starting QB that you spoke of for the past three years. Chris Wilcox (Sr. 6’3” 220 lbs) is one of the wide receivers. Jerome O’Brien (Sr 6’1” 230 lbs) is the FB/RB you mentioned I believe. Anchoring the defense is All-MAC 1st team Rhett Evans (Sr 6’3” 225 lbs) at DE. They have a 6’3” 360 lb. freshman I know will be starting...Kaleb McBride on the OL/DL. Yeah It looks promising for the Comets this year.

Last edited:
Yes coaching changes and enrollment figures were factors. Also I’m sure changes in the administration played a part as well. Coventry had much success in the late 50’s/early 60’s in the Metro League. After winning three straight titles from 1956-1958 coach Art Pardee left. They hired his assistant coach Calvin McCoy starting ‘59 who continued the success with the Ron Rector years. They won the title again in ‘63 under him and then Calvin McCoy retired. ‘64 newcomer Ravenna was Metro Champs and Coventry tied for second, like you said. 1965-1968 they went to last place and had trouble competing with the larger Metro League schools. In all sports. Enrollment dropped and more coaching changes so they applied to the smaller school Suburban League (at that time) and was accepted beginning 1969-70 school year. Mogadore had just left the Suburban for the Portage County League to create the opening.
Knew there had to be something behind it, success doesn’t just stop for no reason. Thanks. Kinda like Dick Fortner, he turns the program around and wins the Metro in ’62 at Stow, leaves for Kenmore, who had finished last or next to last 9 years in a row, and has them in 2nd place his first year there. For the next 10 years the Cardinals are competing for, or winning ACS Titles.

Knew there had to be something behind it, success doesn’t just stop for no reason. Thanks. Kinda like Fortner, he turns the program around and wins the Metro in ’62 at Stow, leaves for Kenmore, who had finished last or next to last 9 years in a row, and has them in 2nd place his first year there. For the next 10 years the Cardinals are competing for, or winning ACS Titles.
It’s definitely finding the right coach that can turn a program around. I mean Stow had problems winning in the late 50s. Last place usually. Coventry beat Stow by huge lopsided scores of 68-0 in ‘56, 42-0 in ‘57, 76-14 in ‘58, and 68-4 in ‘59. School records! Then the tables turned when Fortner arrived I’m guessing. Stow won in ‘61 and ‘62, 26-0 and 26-6 respectively. He must of left for Kenmore after that because Coventry won the Metro title again in ‘63, Coventry’s last championship.

Last edited:
Final (2 quarter) scrimmage score was:
Coventry 21, Garfield 0

Last edited: