2022 Akron City Series

Goodhands,

Come on, Man! The bees are a mere nuisance. Grab a sausage sandwich and leave a little piece for the bees to gather around, and they will leave you in peace for the game.
I just see mess with other people and me at times just want a good game in peace and enjoy 1040 win

I wonder if Tim Flossies troubles at the end of his career at Firestone keep him out?? Two state titles and two Runner-Up trophies pretty impressive!!
Would have to be his issues with the Super the last few years that did it. Insanity since no one ever talks about the powerhouse he built at Central Hower before he was sent over to Buchtel.

I think he had issues with many people, or better worded, people in administration may have had issues with how he handled things in house. Cannot argue with his results, but I think there may have been some things that rubbed people the wrong way.

1658204514643.png

`Nobody had beaten us like this before,' said Steubenville coach Reno

Saccoccia. `We knew they were a physical team, but they were tougher on the

field than they were on the films.'

`We thought we could control them defensively,' said Buchtel coach Tim

Flossie, whose Griffins became the first City Series team to win a state

football title. `Our kids wanted it in the second half, and they just turned

it on.

`We didn't do anything fancy. We just pushed and pushed a little more. The kids were not going to be denied.'

Akron Beacon Journal December 5, 1987

TEARS AND CHEERS FOR STATE CHAMPS FROM BUCHTEL HIGH

A youngster with a brace on his leg approaches Tim Flossie and for a short spell they are alone in the midst of 100 or so of their closest friends.

`I'm sorry. I'm awfully sorry you had to miss out on this,' Tim Flossie

said.

The youngster said whatever he was able to say and moved on.

`Tim Andrews,' Tim Flossie said. `He would have been our tailback. Got

hurt during summer practice.'

Tough and sometimes unfair game, football.

That aside, the coach said, Tim Andrews was as much a champion as any of

these players.

A Griff, a Buchtel Griffin. Just like all the rest of them.

Akron Beacon Journal December 5th 1987

Coach Flossie's first trip to the State title game. If you listen closely you will some interesting names called.

Lester Carney #7 former Woodridge Track Coach and son of Silver Medal winner Les Carney in the 200 at the 1960 Olympics

Markie Jennings #24 New Deputy Athletic Director at the University of Akron

Ricky Powers #12 former Buchtel and now current Brush Head Coach

1987 ? Steubenville Big Red vs. Akron Buchtel Griffins | D2 State Championship​

I still remember his Central Hower teams. In 1981, other that a loss at Massillon, the C-H squad gave eventual state champ SVSM the toughest game they had all season. Tim and his assistants came out in short sleeves and shorts on a frigid night at Green Street. John Woolridge had a 99 yard run at the end of the first half.

I still remember his Central Hower teams. In 1981, other that a loss at Massillon, the C-H squad gave eventual state champ SVSM the toughest game they had all season. Tim and his assistants came out in short sleeves and shorts on a frigid night at Green Street. John Woolridge had a 99 yard run at the end of the first half.
First and foremost, condolences to the Flossie Family and the countless number of other family Tim touched in a positive way. Akron has lost a legend.

Clark - I was at the game you speak of. IIRC, the most impressive thing about 25's run was he was turning the corner still in his own end zone - and you knew at that point the lane was there and he was gone! I remember the Irish safety foolishly trying to keep up, and gave up the ghost at the 30 yard line. (70 yards to go).

First and foremost, condolences to the Flossie Family and the countless number of other family Tim touched in a positive way. Akron has lost a legend.

Clark - I was at the game you speak of. IIRC, the most impressive thing about 25's run was he was turning the corner still in his own end zone - and you knew at that point the lane was there and he was gone! I remember the Irish safety foolishly trying to keep up, and gave up the ghost at the 30 yard line. (70 yards to go).
Woolridge was a speedster. The Irish OLB went inside when his assignment was to stay outside and once Woolridge turned it up nobody in Summit County was ever going to catch him. Central went down the field at the end of the game but missed a field goal that would have tied the game.

Beacon article on Tim's passing-

Flossie also helped girls succeed, including former Firestone soccer standout and kicker Alana Gaither.

"One of my favorite memories of him was at halftime in the locker room at a game versus Buchtel," Gaither said. "I had missed a PAT that first half and we were down, so anyone who has been coached by him knows what the energy in there was like. While he was going around giving people direction for the second half, he paused and screamed at the top of his lungs aggressively, “and Alana, you gotta make the damn kick."

"Despite probably shi**ing my pants at the time, it’s one of my favorite memories because I loved that he always treated me like any other player on the field. He treated everyone the same. He was and will remain one of the most special people to me and I’m so lucky to have had the opportunity to be coached by him."

Not once the facts come out.
I hope so. The allegations in the article are not good.

"According to a GoFundMe post by mother Victoria Washington, Toshaye and 29 other students were taken to the lake by a football coach. The coach then went home to grab a grill, the post said.

Washington wrote that her son was not a strong swimmer and that lifesaving measures were already taking place when the coach got back to the lake."

I hope so. The allegations in the article are not good.

"According to a GoFundMe post by mother Victoria Washington, Toshaye and 29 other students were taken to the lake by a football coach. The coach then went home to grab a grill, the post said.

Washington wrote that her son was not a strong swimmer and that lifesaving measures were already taking place when the coach got back to the lake."

We'll just say that mom left out alot of important information.

No worries. When the inquires are done it will probably just go down as a tragic accident.
If anyone should be worried its Melanie Lake.

Yes, they were indeed. What was their mascot back then, picture of George Washington and Abe Lincoln toasting to one another with a caption that read, "Well done, Mr. President." The Ram Horns are the best.
Back in the 50's and 60's they could have been called anything. They could play with anyone in the state.
I liked Ramdogs. I remember the rivalry with East, then called the Orientals.
Rodney Dingle and coach Dom Patella vs Ray Matthews and of course the legend, Dan "Babe" Flossie.
The Rubber Bowl was rockin' and a rollin' when they matched up.
Those were the days. Friday night City Series double headers at the Bowl.
I went to Ellet so after our home games I was able to get to the Bowl for the second half of the second game.
Then out to Tallmadge Circle for Lujan's Burger Boys and their onion rings.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the memories.

Last edited: