2022 Akron City Series

I recall the banter on here several years ago about Kenmore and their concession stand. Damn shame they tried to burn that down. Was it the Kenmore COneydog that was always discussed here? Maybe the recipe was in the concession stand and the criminals were trying to use a flame thrower to melt the lock and steal the secret sauce recipe. Kind of a Mission Impossible scenario. Maybe Tom Cruise will come to Kenmore and film the 5th or 6th edition of the Impossible series??!!

Unfortunately the only remnants of Kenmore will be the football field...if vandals don't burn anymore of it down like the did recently torching the visitor side concession stand...terrible. Some great history at the stadium back years ago!
I wonder if Garfield will continue to play home games there???

Yes I drove by to see if any progress was being made, and yes it is!!
1652641483436.png

Great to see another field getting done. Hopefully it goes smoother than Ellet's. Ellet missed a few games when their field was getting installed.

Wildcat,

Dude, you must have a gut of STEEL because what I recall is eating one before the game and the kickoff wasn't even out of the air when I had to release it right back out. Loveliness going in, POISON coming out. I do agree, though, the after-effects did last for a week.

Wildcat,

Dude, you must have a gut of STEEL because what I recall is eating one before the game and the kickoff wasn't even out of the air when I had to release it right back out. Loveliness going in, POISON coming out. I do agree, though, the after-effects did last for a week.
That's why the port a johns were next to the concession stand!! lol

Unfortunately the only remnants of Kenmore will be the football field...if vandals don't burn anymore of it down like the did recently torching the visitor side concession stand...terrible. Some great history at the stadium back years ago!
Does the chef in charge of the Kenmore Koney‘s come to Firestone Park. Garfield Koney’s just doesn’t ring, maybe the Garfield Gut Bomb.

For the final time there is NO K-G, Kenmore-Garfield. If you drive by the new school you will see the words" GARFIELD COMMUNITY LEARNING CENTER ". Kenmore is now just a history note like Akron Central, Hower, Central- Hower, South, and West high schools.
There may not be a Kenmore in the school name anymore starting next year, but it looks like the stadium might live on. K-G's (sorry... Garfield's) home games are all listed as being on Saturday's, and unless they're at Buchtel, it looks like they're at Kenmore given the lack of lights.

There may not be a Kenmore in the school name anymore starting next year, but it looks like the stadium might live on. K-G's (sorry... Garfield's) home games are all listed as being on Saturday's, and unless they're at Buchtel, it looks like they're at Kenmore given the lack of lights.
So glad they will use the old stadium. It holds years of tradition for the now defunct Kenmore Cardinal football program and school. Sad they couldn't keep both names like the did for Akron Central and Akron Hower vocational school when they were forced to merge...now neither exist.

THey could have have kept a portion of the Kenmore name alive by naming the Stadium Concession stand the Koney Hut. I love the fall Saturdays at Kenmore. Thinking back on many games at Kenmore, it appeared to me that every year on Sweetest Day we played at Kenmore. After kicking the crap out of someone, showering back at the school, getting home and getting my style going on, picking up my girly for some Sweetest Day "SWEETNESS", (yeah, you know what THAT entailed......TAIL!), go out for some grindage before getting back to her crib for more sweet grinding. The good old days.....now I would be worried abotu MONKEYPOX!!!!!

Anyone even think Akron North Vikings will ever field a competitive team again or is the future no football and concentrate on soccer program since that is what most of the recent immigrants to the area are much more familiar with..

Don't think it will be the rebirth of Babe Flossie years...but maybe compete again with Akron East Orientals and Akron Buchtel Griffins!

Yes, they were indeed. What was their mascot back then, picture of George Washington and Abe Lincoln toasting to one another with a caption that read, "Well done, Mr. President." The Ram Horns are the best.

They were the “Presidents” before the Golden Rams.
That’s a very interesting story, about how Garfield got its name. Harvey Firestone was going to pledge massive dollars, for a high school in Firestone Park, that would wear the Firestone name. The plans showed a campus that included a lot more, than what became Garfield H.S.. There were a majority of members on the Akron School Board, that were members of the KKK. They had a strong dislike of Mr. Firestone, because he had no problem with hiring Jewish, Catholic, and African Americans, to work at his factories. They forced a regulation through that any new high school built in the ASD had to be named after a U.S. President. This angered Firestone, who pulled his financial backing, and Garfield was built, with alot fewer amenities, than the Firestone plans contained. In 1926 Garfield fielded a football team, that played other school’s JV Teams. Their students selected maroon and gold over purple and white, as the school colors. In 1927 they became a member of the ACS. They were known as both The Presidents and The Prexies, and played their home games at a small field with a few bleachers on the Brown St. side of the campus. The Firestone version contained a large football complex, large gymnasium, and an Aquatic complex.1959 Garfield adopted the name The Golden Rams. I am not sure of the year, but when the Klan led group no longer held the majority on the ASB the regulation was rescinded, and some years later in 1963 Firestone H.S. was built, and joined the ACS in 1964.. I read the Harvey Firestone portion of this story, quite a long time ago, and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. If anyone out there knows different, please comment. The football portion came from the book A Century of High School Football in Akron.

That’s a very interesting story, about how Garfield got its name. Harvey Firestone was going to pledge massive dollars, for a high school in Firestone Park, that would wear the Firestone name. The plans showed a campus that included a lot more, than what became Garfield H.S.. There were a majority of members on the Akron School Board, that were members of the KKK. They had a strong dislike of Mr. Firestone, because he had no problem with hiring Jewish, Catholic, and African Americans, to work at his factories. They forced a regulation through that any new high school built in the ASD had to be named after a U.S. President. This angered Firestone, who pulled his financial backing, and Garfield was built, with alot fewer amenities, than the Firestone plans contained. In 1926 Garfield fielded a football team, that played other school’s JV Teams. Their students selected maroon and gold over purple and white, as the school colors. In 1927 they became a member of the ACS. They were known as both The Presidents and The Prexies, and played their home games at a small field with a few bleachers on the Brown St. side of the campus. The Firestone version contained a large football complex, large gymnasium, and an Aquatic complex.1959 Garfield adopted the name The Golden Rams. I am not sure of the year, but when the Klan led group no longer held the majority on the ASB the regulation was rescinded, and some years later in 1963 Firestone H.S. was built, and joined the ACS in 1964.. I read the Harvey Firestone portion of this story, quite a long time ago, and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. If anyone out there knows different, please comment. The football portion came from the book A Century of High School Football in Akron.

Interesting story and I have no reason to doubt you. My father had a copy of the book you mentioned. I found it when I was cleaning out his home. It was a great read through.

The Akron Public Library has a copy of that book. I had it about a month ago.
Another good read, if you can find it, is The Suncheaters, The Story of the South Akron Awnings 1923-1941, by Phil Dietrich. A team from South Akron, made up of high school drop-outs and homesick college freshman. They travelled through Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and TSUN, taking on all comers. Many were professional and semi pro teams, all made up of 20 and 30 year old men. They often drew larger crowds than college and professional teams of that era. They used offensive schemes never seen before, and were extremely successful. I know this is off thread, but since this team contained almost entirely kids from South Akron, I threw it in here. Almost everyone has heard of the Akron Red Peppers, but the Awnings, not so much.

Another good read, if you can find it, is The Suncheaters, The Story of the South Akron Awnings 1923-1941, by Phil Dietrich. A team from South Akron, made up of high school drop-outs and homesick college freshman. They travelled through Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and TSUN, taking on all comers. Many were professional and semi pro teams, all made up of 20 and 30 year old men. They often drew larger crowds than college and professional teams of that era. They used offensive schemes never seen before, and were extremely successful. I know this is off thread, but since this team contained almost entirely kids from South Akron, I threw it in here. Almost everyone has heard of the Akron Red Peppers, but the Awnings, not so much.
I happen to have that book, and it is very entertaining. The grandfather of a friend of mine played on that team. I also had an uncle who played on an industrial team for Goodyear back in the day. Those old barn-storming teams drew quite a loyal following! Always thought that it would have made for an interesting book, as well. Unfortunately the man and the memory have passed on.

Horrible news. Firestone senior football player Ethan Liming was beaten to death last Thursday by 3 men at the basketball courts near the I Promise School. Unbelievable.