2022 Akron City Series

Saw this posted recently on social media (City Series teams highlighted in yellow). I guess this may shed some light onto why them Suburban league teams don't show up on the Griff's schedule too often (ever),,,

1651002757979.png

Last edited:
Buchtel and Glenville should mix it up again
Rumor has it when they played last time they were hitting so hard, and so many folks got hurt, the coaches agreed not to play a regular season game anymore. Granted I don't think either team is on that level anymore, so maybe now would be a good time to look at that. I know Jamario O'neal was supposed to be the stud that year, but Freddie Lenix was worth the price of admission that day, he was all over the field.

Re: Griffin Stadium update - I am assuming this is a grass to turf upgrade only. i.e. - the addition of lights for night games is not part of the project.

Can anyone confirm?

I remember being allowed in by a kind gate guard way back in the mid 60s to Griffin Stadium to watch the Griffins. I was a mere lad of 7 or 8. I thought high school football was the grandest thing, nothing has changed those thoughts almost 60 years later. I want to thank that security guard for being part of instilling a lifelong love of the game in me.

Griffin Stadium will always be special to me - now it will be updated to how it needs to be.

No now that there is a 16 team playoff there is no purpose in a conference championship game. It will likely be 2nd or 3rd place type of game.
Thats how it is in the Senate now. With the improvement of Rhodes and possibly Marshall next year the Senate Championship is really #3 vs #4 or #4 vs #5.

Barberton and Buchtel were scheduled to play in 2020 but that season got canned
I know the middle school teams have played a couple times, would love to see Barberton on the high school schedule! If they would have played that game, that would have been, to my recollection, only the 2nd summit county suburban team to play the Griffs in probably 20 plus years (Woodridge was the other).

I know the middle school teams have played a couple times, would love to see Barberton on the high school schedule! If they would have played that game, that would have been, to my recollection, only the 2nd summit county suburban team to play the Griffs in probably 20 plus years (Woodridge was the other).
Its too bad the game didnt get played. Barberton and Buchtel played semi regularly in 60's, 70's and early 80's

Former Buchtel standout Jay Brophy inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame

Brophy played at UM from 1979 to 1983 and was named a first-team All-American for the late Howard Schnellenberger’s first UM title team. He led the team in tackles that year with 133, with three interceptions. He was drafted in the second round by the Dolphins in 1984, and played four seasons in the NFL.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...-of-miami/article260545847.html#storylink=cpy

Former Buchtel standout Jay Brophy inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame

Brophy played at UM from 1979 to 1983 and was named a first-team All-American for the late Howard Schnellenberger’s first UM title team. He led the team in tackles that year with 133, with three interceptions. He was drafted in the second round by the Dolphins in 1984, and played four seasons in the NFL.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...-of-miami/article260545847.html#storylink=cpy
Remember him well at Buchtel and Miami

All Akron Public Schools are " Community Learning Centers" a former mayor's idea...but most still just call them Schools, which the board should go back to doing..

I feel bad for the Kenmore alum, but it’s happened at South, West, Central and Hower. It only seems natural, that Firestone Park has the Garfield High School Golden Rams, wearing Maroon and Gold. Just has a nice ring to it.

All Akron Public Schools are " Community Learning Centers" a former mayor's idea...but most still just call them Schools, which the board should go back to doing..
IIRC - the reason they are called "Community Learning Centers" is they have community activities in those buildings outside of school; which made them eligible for additional state dollars to be kicked in during construction of those buildings.

Additionally, here are the City Series non-conference schedules:

Ellet

8/19 at Green
8/26 at Tallmadge
9/2 TBD

East

8/19 at Mass. Jackson
8/26 at Dover
9/2 at Uniontown Lake
9/9 at Brush
9/16 at North Royalton

Kenmore-Garfield

8/20 Akron Springfield
9/2 at N. Canton Hoover
9/9 at Mayfield
9/17 Carrollton

Firestone

8/19 at Kent Roosevelt
8/26 at Copley
9/2 at Norton
9/9 at Cleveland Heights

Buchtel

8/19 at N. Canton Hoover
8/26 at Warren Harding
9/3 at Lake Catholic
9/9 at SVSM
9/16 at St. Francis Desales

North

8/19 Collinwood
8/26 at Wickliffe
9/2 at Cuyahoga Falls
9/9 at Southeast
9/16 at Brush
Pretty sure K/G is at Norton 8-26

:D :D Just a little! Heck in 1978 that might have been the first year I heard of Buchtel.
I wasn't old lol....I was in 4th grade but we saw a lot of city series games in those days

They'll always be Kenmore-Garfield to me!
Sick of the liberal left trying to cancel my Kemorians. Long live the Cardinal.
Unfortunately the only remnants of Kenmore will be the football field...if vandals don't burn anymore of it down like the did recently torching the visitor side concession stand...terrible. Some great history at the stadium back years ago!