2022-2023 Ohio State Basketball

EagleGuy

Season starts now with Robert Morris Colonials visiting the Buckeyes at Value City Arena. Go Bucks!

Sueing looks really good thus far. And Okpara is going to be a problem inside for opposing offenses.

Could not find the game on TV, but followed game on my phone. Anyone actually see it? Glad to see Sueing played well, as well as Sensabaugh and others. Zed hit two 3-pointers? What?

My first impressions, even though that was not much competition last night so a bit hard to judge...

Positives:
- Love the depth and athleticism, especially on the wings. Sueing, McNeil, Sensabaugh, Holden, Likekele, Gayle, Eugene Brown (hopefully)
- The freshman look like grown men, especially Thornton and Sensabaugh, very strong
- unselfish play - typical of Holtmann teams

Concerns:
- Do we have enough ball handlers? Thornton is solid. Not so sure about Gayle, Likekele, McNeil - they seem more like 2/3 combos.
- The Big Ten giants at Michigan, Purdue, etc. will give us a problem again. Zed will battle but Okporo could use 25 pounds. Wish we had a 3rd big.
- Can we hit the 3 more consistently? Not sure yet.

Eastern Ilinois Panthers take on the Buckeyes at 7:00 tonight. BTN Also, FuboTV will be streaming it.

(17) San Diego St. and (7) Duke are on the slate next week, ratcheting up tOSU's schedule.

Can this be made a sticky thread, please? And, can the old 2021-2022 threads above be un-stuck?

A big test in Maui on Monday with SD St. OSU is still finding it's identity. I think they need to feed the few big men they have consistently. I think they settle for too many threes and shoot the ball to soon in the clock shot. They need to settle down and get in the grove. Right now I think they put up too many shots when the big men are picking hi or not in position to get the rebounds. As good as Key is, he needs the ball fed to him instead of battling for a rebound to put it back up to make an impact on the game being played.
Tuesday is either Cincinnati or Arizona and Wednesday is TBD.

that game vs Eastern Illinois was damn near unwatchable (hopefully just an off night)...I'd rather see Key inside the lane than jacking up 3 pointers.

First half was very ugly for sure. EIU was giving the 3's and OSU was too quick to take them. 2nd half was better - we got inside much more. Kudos to Holtmann and staff for the adjustments at the half - the message was definitely received.

Except for Key the starters were not very good last night, especially Sueing (5 turnovers, 2-10 shooting). Sensabaugh, Holden and Gayle off the bench were really good. Maybe time to adjust the lineups a little?

OSU could use Parks right now, not much of an interior presence (esp. when Key is in foul trouble), and only one game but the defense again is lacking. McNeil looked good.

Key needs to stay on the floor. Defense will be a work in progress with that young group. McNeil was not afraid to shoot and was on fire.

Just did not look like a cohesive team yet. That is understandable given 4 freshman and 3 transfers in the top 9. Hopefully they mesh more and more as they play together. Nice to see McNeil find his shot. Sensabaugh will be a scorer, and Thornton looks to be a real player too.

Concerns:
-- Sueing has just looked terrible the last two games - trying to do too much on offense.
-- Likekele seems like a tough, athletic guy and a leader but not very gifted offensively.
-- lack of size

Last night's game was an awful early season matchup for a young, inexperienced bunch. SDSU is a veteran laden team that has a suffocating defense. And as others have mentioned, Key's foul trouble set the tone early. Buckeyes had to run in transition the second they got a rebound in order to offset having to play half-court sets against the Aztecs stingy D. I'm very encouraged by the Freshman though, especially Sensabaugh and Thornton. I think they will ultimately take this team as far as it will go - sadly not Sueing or Key, at least at this early juncture.

These flop technicals will be interesting to watch as the season develops. So bizarre how subjective these calls have been thus far.

Other than the first half against SDSU the Buckeyes played really good ball in those 3 games in Maui...

- Great to see Sueing go off like that. We don't need 30 a game from him, but a consistent 15 pts, 8 reb would be awesome.
- Clearly Sensabaugh and Thornton are real-deal players, they more than held their own against 3 solid opponents.
- McNeil will be our streaky scorer.
- Zed has improved so much from last year - love that kid's game and heart.
- Likekele can do everything except shoot, which is fine. Handle the ball, play defense, rebound, all good.
- Holden, Gayle and Okpara have shown a few flashes. Hopefully Holden finds his shot - we know he can score.
- Eugene Brown? Could be a valuable piece if he recovers.

Very much looking forward to watching this team.