2022-2023 NHFS Basketball Rule Changes Published

AllSports12

One minor change with regards to hair adornments and changes to the shot clock guidelines. Those changes are "strongly suggested", but not required.

Points of Emphasis are illegal contact in the post, off ball, and hand checking as well as sportsmanship (again) and illegal uniforms.

I love the yearly POE that get called excessively the first couple weeks and then generally disappear. They're the same almost every year lol

AllSports ,the post play illegal contact emphasis seems to be new... to what level is that going to change? I'd hope it isn't as nit picky as the contact on guard play.

When I first started officiating, post play was a big part of the game. But with the advent of the 3-point line and most teams playing open-post offenses, post-play doesn't seem to be that rough. Am I mistaken?

Depends on the team/game but yes a lot more perimeter/guard focus from many teams. My guess is this rule change is intended for all contact in the post area, not just post players.

AllSports ,the post play illegal contact emphasis seems to be new... to what level is that going to change? I'd hope it isn't as nit picky as the contact on guard play.
Rough play in the post has been a POE or part of a POE 6 times since 2010. My bet is that I could go back to 2000 - 2009 and see it at least another 4 times.

As to the extent..... I don't see much changing. :mad:

Depends on the team/game but yes a lot more perimeter/guard focus from many teams. My guess is this rule change is intended for all contact in the post area, not just post players.
Remember, there's no rule change.... just an emphasis on the existing rule.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of HS officiating camps are conducted by and taught by college officials. ( or HS officials who are wanna be college officials). The problem with this is at the college level, you have the top 5% (all divisions no matter the gender) players now playing. They have the ability to play through the contact....

At the HS level.... you have 80% of the players unable to absorb and play through that contact without it affecting the play.... Unfortunately, we have the HS officials using college philosophies to officiate this......

Go back and watch clips of NCAA tournament games from the 70's & 80's...... then compare them to today. :oops:

Ah gotcha.... I guess the only one I've seen really enforced/emphasized has been hand checking out top.

And agreed on the college officiating influence on contact calls at the HS level.

Ah gotcha.... I guess the only one I've seen really enforced/emphasized has been hand checking out top.

And agreed on the college officiating influence on contact calls at the HS level.
Lol yea did you watch the D2 girls State final - it looked like a mugging…just not pleasant to watch