2021 State Tournament Results

Last few pieces of the puzzle.

Division 1 North #1 Regional Final
#1 Jackson def. #4 Stow-Munroe Falls 25-19, 25-19, 25-19

Division 1 South #1 Regional Final
#1 Archbishop Moeller def. #4 Walnut Hills 21-25, 25-11, 25-23, 25-21

Division 1 South #2 Regional Final
#2 Elder def. #3 St Xavier 27-25, 21-25, 29-27, 13-25, 15-11

The Elder v X match was awesome! X seemed to have an edge in talent but Elder just found a way. Lots of respect among both teams and players.

The Elder v X match was awesome! X seemed to have an edge in talent but Elder just found a way. Lots of respect among both teams and players.
I’d say X had the advantage in backcourt defense. They seemed to get a lot more balls up than Elder. Elder also missed a lot of serves and struggled in serve receive at times. Showed a lot of fight to come back multiple times in multiple sets and that’s a great advantage to have going into the state tournament.

I was surprised but glad to ser large rowdy crowds at Jackson today ! NE Ohio historically isn’t popular for boys volleyball but it’s growing. And it wasn’t a large crowd just cuz Jackson was playing at home. Most of the Ed’s/Iggy fans left after their match, plus Stow brought a nice crowd.

I was surprised but glad to ser large rowdy crowds at Jackson today ! NE Ohio historically isn’t popular for boys volleyball but it’s growing. And it wasn’t a large crowd just cuz Jackson was playing at home. Most of the Ed’s/Iggy fans left after their match, plus Stow brought a nice crowd.
That's great to hear!

From what I could tell, Walnut Hills brought more people to Princeton than Moeller. It's awesome to see that kind of support for a young program, and great to see people getting involved/invested outside of the traditional "powers".

The X vs. Elder match may go down as the best of this tournament. Great play on both sides, it is a shame one team won't be going to state!
I'm biased to the South region, but I think you could make a case that the 4 best teams in D1 all played at Princeton last night, and two don't get to go to state. If St X and Walnut were in different regions, they probabaly would be favored to make the final 4. St. X is obvious, and that's often the case in the GCL, but Walnut Hills was pretty good last night - that may be the toughest game Moeller has until the state final.

I'm biased to the South region, but I think you could make a case that the 4 best teams in D1 all played at Princeton last night, and two don't get to go to state. If St X and Walnut were in different regions, they probabaly would be favored to make the final 4. St. X is obvious, and that's often the case in the GCL, but Walnut Hills was pretty good last night - that may be the toughest game Moeller has until the state final.
Same could definitely be said for Elder as well. That Elder-X match last night felt like a state final. Obviously don’t wanna discredit any teams Moe or Elder might play and upsets can happen if one of them slips up, but tough to imagine a scenario where we don’t get a Moe-Elder state final.

Last edited:
My predictions:

D1 Bracket

Moeller vs Centerville Moeller in 3
Jackson vs Bradley Bradley in 4
Moeller over Bradley in 4

Elder vs Beavercreek Elder in 3
Liberty vs Ignatius Liberty in 4
Elder over Liberty in 3

Elder over Moeller in 5

D2 Bracket

Badin vs Fenwick Fenwick in 4
Walsh vs Olentangy Walsh in 4
Fenwick over Walsh in 3

My predictions:

D1 Bracket

Moeller vs Centerville Moeller in 3
Jackson vs Bradley Bradley in 4
Moeller over Bradley in 4

Elder vs Beavercreek Elder in 3
Liberty vs Ignatius Liberty in 4
Elder over Liberty in 3

Elder over Moeller in 5

D2 Bracket

Badin vs Fenwick Fenwick in 4
Walsh vs Olentangy Walsh in 4
Fenwick over Walsh in 3
Should Moeller and Bradley make it past their first challenges, I am very interested in that matchup. It appears that Bradley is a one man show with Gilbert, but do they have enough of a supporting cast to challenge Moeller?

I think the most intriguing first round of state matchup is the Badin/Fenwick match. It appears that Fenwick is running on all cylinders, and are currently on a 20 game winning steak... Remember back to mid April, one of those losses Fenwick has is against Badin in 5 games. That'll definitely be the match to watch, and in my opinion, the true DII championship match.