2021 St. Ignatius soccer

It was one of the closest games for Ignatius all year. Cats got a goal with about a minute left in the first half, possibly leading to a Media let down in the second half. Once again the game was played for the most part in the Ignatius offensive side. What more can I say?

The Wildcats were too much for Medina. Medina was pretty worn down by the end of the match. The second goal by Spicer took the screaming Medina parents and their student section out of it.

I must say, I was very surprised that the student section was not larger for the Wildcats today.

Next up for the Wildcats is Avon.

In the side of the bracket, it will be Centerville vs. Dublin Jerome. Dublin Jerome beat New Albany today, 1-0. New Albany had been undefeated (since losing in last year's state finals to the Wildcats). The Wildcats beat Jerome in the season finale this year 3-0.

Ignatius – Avon: I was there tonight. Until Ignatius scored with 25 minutes remaining, Avon packed the box and did a great job of tackling and blocking balls. Ignatius kept applying pressure but had no room to maneuver. Avon goalkeeper had an outstanding match, making a couple of critical saves. Great overall defense by the Eagles. That being said, Avon showed no intention of going on offense. I thought they had a chance at a couple of opportunities, but they backed off and just let Ignatius reset. It seemed like they would have been happy to settle for 0-0 and take their chances with PK’s. Once Ignatius scored to make it 1-0, the match opened up a bit. Avon had some opportunities when Ignatius made some lazy passes, but the Wildcats were able to clear the ball out, move it down the pitch and quickly create offensive pressure. The Avon goalkeeper continued to make good saves. In the end, Ignatius finally were tested and gained experience of competing against an opponent that would really pack the box on them. That experience may turn out to be beneficial.

Go Cats!!

It is truly amazing how successful Coach McLaughlin has been in state championship games--winning 11 and losing only 1 (in a shoot-out at that). And knowing that Coach Kyle has been nearly as impressive with his state title appearances, I take a look at the record books to see how well Ignatius teams have performed when advancing to a state final game. I'm not including sports such as golf, cross country etc. where various teams have individuals performing at a state meet set up.

After a quick search, I found the Ignatius teams are 38-10 in state title games. Here is the breakdown:

soccer 11-1
football 11-2
baseball 2-3
basketball 1-1
lacrosse 0-2
rugby 6-1
hockey 7-0

Natl Champs from Prep Soccer

Natl Champs from Prep Soccer

I'm thinking St Ignatius should put St. Benedict’s Prep (Newark, N.J.) on their schedule.

Just saw that Patrick McLaughlin recently committed to Ohio State. Congrats to him - OSU has a pipeline starting with Ignatius as of late. I think he'll be the fifth or sixth player player going to Columbus in the last 3 years or so.

Just saw that Patrick McLaughlin recently committed to Ohio State. Congrats to him - OSU has a pipeline starting with Ignatius as of late. I think he'll be the fifth or sixth player player going to Columbus in the last 3 years or so.
I looked at OSU's roster and noticed 2 current Ignatius alums (Marusic, Van Euwen) on the team. Next fall, another Wildcat will join OSU (Luciano Pechota). Also, one of the assistant coaches (Matt Foldesy) was a standout soccer player for Ignatius back in 2011.