2021 St. Ignatius soccer

The technical soundness that this team exhibits for a group of 16-18 year old kids is very impressive.
I also follow my college alma mater's soccer team (a perennial top 10 D3 program). I was watching a game last week and I found myself continually frustrated by their passing. I realize that Ignatius has several D1 college prospects on the team, but still I find myself amazed at the crispness of the passing. When a midfielder or back gains control of the ball, you can see in their body language that they are looking a pass or two ahead. The level of competition is different, I get it. But the Wildcats play a beautifully technical, patient and confident style of soccer.

When they are evenly matched… There have been some lob sided games in recent years. The toughest game of the year will be on Saturday when they take on Noblesville at Purdue.
Another tough game will be when the Cats travel to Toledo to play St. Francis (currently undefeated and ranked #16 nationally by Maxpreps). Maxpreps has Noblesville ranked at #13. Both of these games will be on the road. The next 3 Saturdays will be interesting (Noblesville, Moeller, SF).

I think Moeller may be one of Iggy’s toughest game this year.
I think this game is at least 3-1 st I, maybe more. I do hope someone gives them a solid game, but it is easily the best HS soccer team I have ever seen, and I have seen a TON over the years. They are another level. Doesn’t mean they can’t be beat since this is soccer we are talking about and strange things can happen, but they are a lot of fun to watch.

Another tough game will be when the Cats travel to Toledo to play St. Francis (currently undefeated and ranked #16 nationally by Maxpreps). Maxpreps has Noblesville ranked at #13. Both of these games will be on the road. The next 3 Saturdays will be interesting (Noblesville, Moeller, SF).

The United Soccer Coaches poll has the Wildcats ranked #1 and Noblesville Indiana ranked #10

Noblesville is currently 8-0-1, with their 'draw' in a 0 - 0 match against unranked, but receiving national poll votes, Fishers IN (record 7-0-1)

Tomorrow's match will be played at a neutral site: Purdue Univ. @ Ft. Wayne.
The Ignatius athletics website shows the match will be broadcast on SIBN at 3:00 pm

I never said it was the toughest schedule. I just said if the rankings are accurate it was one of the toughest in Ohio and possibly the country. Here are the ranked opponents based on state first poll (S) or PrepSoccer.net Region (R) or National (N) rankings.

Iggy
St X - 8 S
Univ School - 15 S
Noblesville - 2 R, 20 N
Moeller - 10 S, 7 R, 44 N
West Reserve - 5 S - Div 3
Tol Desales - 5 S, 14 R
Massillon Jackson - 7 S

Moe
Mason - 2 S, 8 R, 45 N
St X - 8 S
Iggy - 1 S, 1 R, 1 N
Pingry School - 6 R, 9 N
New Albany - 3 S, 5 R, 31 N
St. X - 8 S - 2nd time
Col Desales - 3 S - Div 2

Obviously both are great schedules. There are other good teams on both schedules but just aren’t ranked in Ohio or by PrepSoccer.net. They both play 7 teams that are ranked in the State, Region or Nation. Iggy plays 3 teams that are regionally ranked and 2 that are nationally ranked. Moeller plays 4 teams that are regionally and nationally ranked. Two of the nationally ranked teams are top 10 in the country.

Tomato, Tomatoe. Potato, Potatoe. They both play great schedules and they both will be battle tested. It also wouldn’t surprise me if next weekend’s game will be the first of two meetings this season.

I do believe Moeller will beat the all mighty Iggy, though.
They Crusaders will have their work cut out for them next weekend. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it probably is unlikely they will win up here at Wasmer on the road. The 4 hour bus ride to Ohio City will not help. That’s a game where I’d want to leave Friday after school and stay overnight.

Tomato, Tomatoe. Potato, Potatoe. They both play great schedules and they both will be battle tested. It also wouldn’t surprise me if next weekend’s game will be the first of two meetings this season.
I'll go bold and say Moeller doesn't make it out of the SW district. Any of probably 5-7 teams can beat them if the chips fall their way. It may be a nice game to watch when they play, but Iggy's should have a pretty good clue how to play Moeller. There is not a really good way to play St Ignatius.

I think Noblesville is showing the blueprint right now.
The Cats can correct the mistakes at the set pieces from the corner. For that to happen twice though is not good… Defense has to be better in the second half. The PK at the end of the first half was huge.

Goal of the year so far belongs to Nolan Spicer. Fantastic adjustments and corrections in the 2nd half by McLaughlin. The conditioning of the team continues to pay off. Noblesville was out of gas in the last 10-15 minutes.

Ignatius 4-2 final. The game was very tightly reffed. Two of the Ignatius goals were on penalty kicks, one was :02 seconds left in the first half! The ref was handing out yellow cards left and right. The most positive thing I took from the game was that twice they came back from one goal deficits. I also think the score in not reflective on how much the Cats dominated the pitch. The Noblesville goalie was kept busy and for the most part did a great job. It will be a nice bus ride back from Indiana to W. 30th.

Ignatius 4-2 final. The game was very tightly reffed. Two of the Ignatius goals were on penalty kicks, one was :02 seconds left in the first half! The ref was handing out yellow cards left and right. The most positive thing I took from the game was that twice they came back from one goal deficits. I also think the score in not reflective on how much the Cats dominated the pitch. The Noblesville goalie was kept busy and for the most part did a great job. It will be a nice bus ride back from Indiana to W. 30th.
2nd Half of the match was all Wildcats. They needed a game where their resilience and composure would be tested and they got one. They probably won’t face a better team all year.

On another note though, was anyone else as entertained listening to the bantering back and forth from the parents? ?

It makes feel good that so many Ignatians took an interest in the Noblesville game. For four years on Yappi I feel like I have been a voice calling out in the desert for my fellow Ignatians to appreciate what has been going on with the soccer program. I have been met with calls of derision by those who insisted that the only fall sport at Ignatius that deserved attention was the football program. I have been criticized for calling the football program a sinking ship, captained by someone who should have called it quits years ago. I now see many people beginning to see the light. The football win over Euclid on Friday attracted only one comment on Yappi, that comment coming from an individual who simply proclaimed he hates soccer. That was because he doesn't understand it. That was me in 2012 when I had no interest in soccer. At that time I was bedridden with one of many illnesses, and there was nothing else to watch on TV but the World Cup. I can honestly say that I was one of the few Americans who actually saw all or parts of every game. I admit I fell asleep during some of the games, but I learned to appreciate the beauty of the game. That coincided with arrival of Coach McLaughlin at Ignatius, who developed the Ignatius soccer program into the premier soccer program in the country. So many of the oldtimers who haunt the football forum have never played soccer or watched it on TV. I would be willing to bet in the current Ignatius student body more students at some time in their lives played soccer rather than football. So as the soccer Cats near a five-peat in state titles (and tying the football program with 11 state titles) and a three-peat in national titles (which would give them 7 compared with three awarded to the football program). This after the Ignatius program was named the best in the country in the 'teens. Now after this rant fueled by vodka is done , watch the Cats lose to Ed's this Wednesday.