2021 Southwestern Buckeye League

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but I would caution not to sleep on Monroe. One thing BB struggles with is team d against the triple as evidenced last year against Ross. and Monroe has the size and power to move BB. Monroe is a mirror image of Ross last year. Not saying Monroe will blow their doors off like Ross did but they will most certainly challenge. Remember they are only trying to get 3 yards. I would expect BB to change their d from last year against the triple because it did little to nothing.
@lightyears2012 this guy's said it

Monroe won't win this league but they should finish between 6-4/8-2. the SWBL is "up" this season.

im gaining some confidence in Eaton

I don't think Brookville and Waynesville are as good as some think. regardless, both playoff teams
Saw Brookville in person and they are very good. They beat Milton in their jamboree game. Waynesville, I would agree. I think they get beat up pretty good in SWBL games.

@lightyears2012 this guy's said it
And I stick by it. I heard the same thing last year about BB. Ross has no shot, BB is too good and too athletic, this is the best BB team in years, Ross will have to do more than run against BB, blah blah blah. Bellbrook ended up getting running clocked. Until proven wrong I still think Monroe is a very similar team to Ross of last year. Big physical Oline, nice backs, opportunistic defense. Only major difference I see is Monroe cuts more on the O line than Ross which they really don't need to do given their size advantages, but that is more of a coaching philosophy thing than anything. I would expect a very good game as Monroe matures into the triple. Penalties and turnovers are the wildcard.

For Week 4, I'll go with:

Waynesville over Madison
Franklin over Carlisle
Monroe over Brookville
Valley View over Oakwood
Bellbrook over Eaton

As many have mentioned, my confidence is growing in Eaton, Brookville, and Monroe. Waynesville has had a nice start but their schedule gets significantly harder after Week 4. I think we'll learn more about them as the season goes on. Valley View is better than their record. They've played a strong schedule and lost in the final minute of the past two games. Looking at the league as a whole, the amount of teams that will push for playoff spots will be on the higher end. Teams have done well in the OOC which will benefit everyone.

Week for I'll take

Waynesville over Madison, going to be a long year for the Mohawks.
Franklin over Carlisle, the Indians are 3-0, but I wouldn't be surprised if they finish 4-6
Monroe over Brookville, I think it will be close, game will probably be over by 9. I'm putting the over/under on total passes thrown in the game at 6!
Valley View over Oakwood, I started to type Oakwood over Valley View and just couldn't do it. With that being said, I won't be surprised if the Jacks pull out the win.
Bellbrook over Eaton, I think it might be close, but Eaton will struggle against the Bellbrook D

Monroe won't win this league but they should finish between 6-4/8-2. the SWBL is "up" this season.

im gaining some confidence in Eaton

I don't think Brookville and Waynesville are as good as some think. regardless, both playoff teams

Week for I'll take

Waynesville over Madison, going to be a long year for the Mohawks.
Franklin over Carlisle, the Indians are 3-0, but I wouldn't be surprised if they finish 4-6
Monroe over Brookville, I think it will be close, game will probably be over by 9. I'm putting the over/under on total passes thrown in the game at 6!
Valley View over Oakwood, I started to type Oakwood over Valley View and just couldn't do it. With that being said, I won't be surprised if the Jacks pull out the win.
Bellbrook over Eaton, I think it might be close, but Eaton will struggle against the Bellbrook D
I think Oakwood isn't getting enough credit for the win over MU. They weren't given the game. They didn't play lights out. They struggled and won. They even had a 50 to 60 yrd TD called back. I believe the better team won and I'm sure VV coaching staff is watching film thinking this is not a pushover team. Oakwood looks to have the toughest schedule out there and they know it. So with the first game played with all starters at key positions they won a somewhat ugly game. What happens when they start firing on all cylinders. VV is really our 2nd game. MU didn't have a bad game. They simply lost to a better team. Every turnover was forced or a great play was made.U played hard and deserves more credit than simply saying they were coming off a big win. Oakwood defense is nice.
21-7 Oakwood over VV.

He literally said they wouldn’t blow their doors off but challenge? Anyone who can’t see the similarities between the two simply doesn’t watch football. Furthermore, anyone using the WB game to discredit Monroe’s D also doesn’t know football.
I am a little confused by your statement. Are you saying that blowing someone's doors off, ie running clock, is essentially the same as challenging, ie winning or losing a good tight game? This is the statement I made in an earlier post and I see a major difference. Perhaps in your mind the Talawanda game was as close as the WB game

This is a big game for VV as well. The Spartans have had dropped TD's in consecutive weeks and found ways to lose games in the final seconds. On offense, they still struggle to run the ball. Improving the running game would really help get their offense moving. Overall, Henson has been a nice QB. The defense is a bright spot for the team. Sometimes it just feels like VV finds ways to lose these close fought games. A penalty here or there, a turnover, a dropped pass, etc. They need to find ways to win games instead of finding ways to lose them.

Coming into the season I would've penciled Oakwood, Brookville, and Eaton as wins for the Spartans. They all very well could still be wins, but I don't look at them as easy wins either. Each team is having nice success so far in 2021.

This is a big game for VV as well. The Spartans have had dropped TD's in consecutive weeks and found ways to lose games in the final seconds. On offense, they still struggle to run the ball. Improving the running game would really help get their offense moving. Overall, Henson has been a nice QB. The defense is a bright spot for the team. Sometimes it just feels like VV finds ways to lose these close fought games. A penalty here or there, a turnover, a dropped pass, etc. They need to find ways to win games instead of finding ways to lose them.

Coming into the season I would've penciled Oakwood, Brookville, and Eaton as wins for the Spartans. They all very well could still be wins, but I don't look at them as easy wins either. Each team is having nice success so far in 2021.
I agree with you, at the beginning of the year I thought we would be talking about who was going to finish second behind VV and now it looks like a wide open race!

Oakwood quarterback Keon Wright is a transfer from fairmont
4.4 burner
Took over for injured qb
Milton never saw this coming
Complete blindside
I’m confused by this statement he’s a burner but had negative yards rushing and negative receiving doesn’t sound like anyone was blindsided he has 30 yards passing and 97 yards rushing in 3 games obviously this isn’t oakwoods key to success.

I think the opening week of SWBL play will expose a lot of teams. Bellbrook still seems to be the team to beat, Franklin Offense continue to struggle form last years pitiful output, still waiting on the spartans to commit to establishing the trenches and run, eaton so very improved but brookville is the big dog I believe on the other side clearly Carlisle padded the out of league with cream puffs and madison is in emergency mode I would suggest getting back to basics and what you’ve ran for the last 20 years something these kids know because what you’ve done isn’t working. Waynesville has been a surprise could they find themselves in the playoffs?

Last edited:
I am a little confused by your statement. Are you saying that blowing someone's doors off, ie running clock, is essentially the same as challenging, ie winning or losing a good tight game? This is the statement I made in an earlier post and I see a major difference. Perhaps in your mind the Talawanda game was as close as the WB game
I’m saying it didn’t appear to me that you were saying Monroe this year is as good as Ross last year, just that they look similar and Monroe would be able to challenge BB while not necessarily blowing their doors off.

I have seen both Valley View and Oakwood, Oakwood didn't get the same Milton team that Valley View got. Believe me. I have respect for any team we play, but Oakwood was the better team THAT night, not in general. That's my belief and I'll stick to it. Maybe we see each other again in the playoffs. Wouldn't that be a great game!?
Valley View by 2 scores. And Milton needs Valley View to win....??

Last edited:
I’m saying it didn’t appear to me that you were saying Monroe this year is as good as Ross last year, just that they look similar and Monroe would be able to challenge BB while not necessarily blowing their doors off.
You are correct, I do not think Monroe this year is as good as Ross last year. Ross last year would not struggle to score 14 points against Ross this year, let alone wait until the final 4 minutes to get a second TD. I do not think Monroe can or will put a running clock on BB in the 3rd quarter as Ross did. However I do think they will challenge despite many on here saying they do not have a chance and would not be shocked if Monroe won the game. I am still struggling to realize how you see similarities to a running clock and a close game.

I think Oakwood isn't getting enough credit for the win over MU. They weren't given the game. They didn't play lights out. They struggled and won. They even had a 50 to 60 yrd TD called back. I believe the better team won and I'm sure VV coaching staff is watching film thinking this is not a pushover team. Oakwood looks to have the toughest schedule out there and they know it. So with the first game played with all starters at key positions they won a somewhat ugly game. What happens when they start firing on all cylinders. VV is really our 2nd game. MU didn't have a bad game. They simply lost to a better team. Every turnover was forced or a great play was made.U played hard and deserves more credit than simply saying they were coming off a big win. Oakwood defense is nice.
21-7 Oakwood over VV.
I think Oakwood has opened some eyes and deserves some credit, however Friday will show us a lot about this team. On the road against a talented, frustrated team will be a challenge for Oakwood. I think VV is the favorite, but I can see the Jacks pulling one out.

I think if they are competitive and keep growing as a team, like I believe they have, they will be a team not to take lightly. Their schedule doesn't get any easier. Monroe, Franklin, WV, Bellbrook, Brookville, all solid teams and then Middletown Madison for the final game.

Really looking forward to this Friday and seeing how it plays out. For me, if they are competitive it will tell me if they a "contender or a pretender". I don't think they can win the league, but to have a team compete week in and week out would be having the program going in the right direction and a lot more fun to watch.

I think Oakwood has opened some eyes and deserves some credit, however Friday will show us a lot about this team. On the road against a talented, frustrated team will be a challenge for Oakwood. I think VV is the favorite, but I can see the Jacks pulling one out.

I think if they are competitive and keep growing as a team, like I believe they have, they will be a team not to take lightly. Their schedule doesn't get any easier. Monroe, Franklin, WV, Bellbrook, Brookville, all solid teams and then Middletown Madison for the final game.

Really looking forward to this Friday and seeing how it plays out. For me, if they are competitive it will tell me if they a "contender or a pretender". I don't think they can win the league, but to have a team compete week in and week out would be having the program going in the right direction and a lot more fun to watch.
I think Oakwood isn't getting enough credit for the win over MU. They weren't given the game. They didn't play lights out. They struggled and won. They even had a 50 to 60 yrd TD called back. I believe the better team won and I'm sure VV coaching staff is watching film thinking this is not a pushover team. Oakwood looks to have the toughest schedule out there and they know it. So with the first game played with all starters at key positions they won a somewhat ugly game. What happens when they start firing on all cylinders. VV is really our 2nd game. MU didn't have a bad game. They simply lost to a better team. Every turnover was forced or a great play was made.U played hard and deserves more credit than simply saying they were coming off a big

I'm throwing caution to the wind. I feel good about our chances. I think this offense can get rolling and give anyone fits. Our backers have been stellar so far. I watched the VV- MU highlights. I'd like to change my score to 28-14 Oakwood. They are fast and come to play. But... MOJO is with the underdogs.

I'm throwing caution to the wind. I feel good about our chances. I think this offense can get rolling and give anyone fits. Our backers have been stellar so far. I watched the VV- MU highlights. I'd like to change my score to 28-14 Oakwood. They are fast and come to play. But... MOJO is with the underdogs.
What happened at Mariemont? Must have been a bad night.

You are correct, I do not think Monroe this year is as good as Ross last year. Ross last year would not struggle to score 14 points against Ross this year, let alone wait until the final 4 minutes to get a second TD. I do not think Monroe can or will put a running clock on BB in the 3rd quarter as Ross did. However I do think they will challenge despite many on here saying they do not have a chance and would not be shocked if Monroe won the game. I am still struggling to realize how you see similarities to a running clock and a close game.
I don't see any similarities between the two. It's a miscommunication as you and I are on the same page. Someone else is saying 'we' are saying Monroe is as good as Ross last year and suggesting we pump the "breaks.'

Last edited:
100% new offense, so everyone is learning it.

QB injured and back had 0 reps, really just thrown in there and had 3 interceptions, two picks 6.

Kids running wrong routes, missing blocking assignments and things fell apart in the second half.

What happened at Mariemont? Must have been a bad night.
Lost QB beginning of 2nd qtr. Sophomore with no reps had to step in. We had back to back pick six. 3 interception total. Hell maybe 4. Just couldn't recover. It was 15-10 at the time. Lost all energy. It was bad. But..to his credit.. that same kid bounced back and led a comeback victory over Northridge. He started the MOJO

Not even going to try to predict a score for VV, if the talent finally starts to jell with the new offense? Watch the heck out… HOWEVER. If they keep shooting themselves in the foot? Yikes.

For Week 4, I'll go with:

Waynesville over Madison
Franklin over Carlisle
Monroe over Brookville
Valley View over Oakwood
Bellbrook over Eaton
I will agree on all but 1 game. I’m going to keep with their momentum and take Oakwood.

Waynesville over Madison by 28
Franklin over Carlisle by 6
Monroe over Brookville by 13
Oakwood over Valley View by 7
Bellbrook over Eaton by 17

21-7 Oakwood over VV.

Oakwood the toughest schedule? That’s laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.