2021 Southwestern Buckeye League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be size-wise but they aren't winning this at any clip. Imagine they join a big school league...that would be disasterous.
It's also funny how the two districts I hear growing at a great rate are Monroe and Bethel, yet neither seems to be having it translate to the field, at least in football. Again, I assume the community growth happens first and the athletic growth second. It probably also depends a great deal on how the community handles the growth.

Last edited:
What type of growth as well. Empty nesters? Childless professionals, etc.
Bethel seems to focus on Baseball and Basketball. I see them being much like Miami East and eventually more like Butler.
Monroe has too much competition from Catholic schools and D1 programs.
Valley View is in a perfect situation. Niswonger created this tradition and handed it off well. I see VV being the class of the SWBL for decades to come. With growth, they might become another Springboro.

With VV being a football school, how long will they be happy with the league split? Playing Eaton, Carlisle and Madison each year isn't helping their program. I know they play a tough non-conference schedule but they will easily walk through their side of the league. Brookville will be their toughest league opponent and they haven't been within 3 touchdowns in the last 3 meetings.

With VV being a football school, how long will they be happy with the league split? Playing Eaton, Carlisle and Madison each year isn't helping their program. I know they play a tough non-conference schedule but they will easily walk through their side of the league. Brookville will be their toughest league opponent and they haven't been within 3 touchdowns in the last 3 meetings.
I can't imagine this is an ideal scenario for VV in football. This season, with a new coach, it'll be fine. But long term, I agree, not ideal. I also can't imagine Waynesville loves their position either.

It's my understanding that in other SWBL sports, they won't split into divisions. I would like to see the league do that in football but use a similar scheduling system to the MAC. Each team drops a league game to pick up an extra OOC game, provides a more balanced league schedule as well.

I bet this is a temporary situation.
It will be interesting to see where the SWBL goes in the next few years. I could see a couple of schools leaving, I could see the SWBL trying to add a couple of new schools but I can also see a few of the smaller schools being stuck (where does Waynesville, Carlisle, Madison or even VV go?)

It's also funny how the two districts I hear growing at a great rate are Monroe and Bethel, yet neither seems to be having it translate to the field, at least in football. Again, I assume the community growth happens first and the athletic growth second. It probably also depends a great deal on how the community handles the growth.
Monroe seems to be developing into something of a soccer school. They have been very good in both boys and girls soccer the last several years and that along with having 3 head coaches in the last 5 years is having a negative impact on the football program. They have some talent coming through in the younger ages but there is rumor of some of the better players transferring so I'm not sure it will show on the field. I like what Mullins is doing but I wouldn't be surprised if he has some success to see him move on to a bigger stage.

Problem here with the SWBL stems back to the expansion. When they added MU and Waynesville, they should've stopped. Adding Franklin and Monroe was a mistake. It makes the league top-heavy. Adding MU was a no-brainier since it was a founding member. Waynesville fits well into the league. Franklin and Monroe are too big.
I think you'll see a Clinton Massie join and maybe Edgewood or Talawanda.
The only movement I can see would be Brookville and maybe Monroe. Franklin is comfortable as is Bellbrook and Valley View. Brookville moving to the TRC is an eventual thing. It will happen. That's when Clinton Massie joins. Just opinion

So, rather than focusing on the what-ifs of who could join the league, let’s get back to who IS in the league. Can anyone challenge Valley View and Bellbrook?

The what-ifs are part of the taking points here. But sure, Franklin can challenge and so can Brookville. Madison could if they get a good coach. Never know what Eaton will field.

Has Madison hired a coach and I missed it? Seems a little late in the game to still be looking, surely I just overlooked it and they at least have an interim in place.

Monroe seems to be developing into something of a soccer school. They have been very good in both boys and girls soccer the last several years and that along with having 3 head coaches in the last 5 years is having a negative impact on the football program. They have some talent coming through in the younger ages but there is rumor of some of the better players transferring so I'm not sure it will show on the field. I like what Mullins is doing but I wouldn't be surprised if he has some success to see him move on to a bigger stage.

There's no question that is true. There are quality soccer clubs in the area like Cincinnati United as well. That has also helped the growth of soccer at the youth level on up.

So, rather than focusing on the what-ifs of who could join the league, let’s get back to who IS in the league. Can anyone challenge Valley View and Bellbrook?

although bellbrook loses a terrific senior class they bring back a ton of talent including the offensive player of the year in the league . Lebenski will take over quarterback duties , he knows the offense very well as is older brother was a 2 year QB starter for the eagles a few years back . He’s a big boy with a cannon .
the receivers on the outside won’t be touched , the play action game will eat off the run . Bellbrook is on another level right now with the talent pool , their definetly riding the hi tide . The weight program and coaching staff is a direct reflection of their success as well .

tipp city snd Hamilton badin will really help get them better prepared for the deeper playoff run this year , valley view being at the end of the season again will as well and not to mention that game was always better being played at the end rather then week 5-6.
Bellbrook will go 8-2 or 10-0

valley view I see the same. They have it going over there as well , the community is buzzing again and their eager to fill those stands again this fall , I love the Ross matchup , I know Ross loses a lot but that’ll still be a great game for them , Ross staff is legit and their option game is as tough as it comes , if valley view wins that one or plays em tough the rest of the league is in big trouble . Brookville hasn’t been within 3 touchdowns against bellbrook or valley view in about 4 years , won’t be any different this year , live their program and work ethic out there but they just don’t have the horses .
valley view should take their side

its early but I’d say 8-2 for the view at worse

Franklin has take. A step back
For bellbrook and the leagues Sake I’m hoping they get back to Franklin ball this year .
waynesville seems to be headed in the right direction , what are they returning ???

we’re getting into summer workouts , season starts 8 days earlier then usual , we’re not far off folks !!

here’s to all swbl teams being successful and staying healthy

Carry that banner proudly
Let’s get a handful in the playoffs and make some noice !!!

Last edited:
If I read the thread title correctly it said 2021. What-ifs should be saved for a 2022 thread or other such thread. Maybe a “How could the SWBL Expand” thread.

Anyway, Waynesville lost some good seniors, but their schedule does look favorable for a good season. I think it’s a toss up with Franklin for number 2 in the East. Also, I’m curious to see a new offense at Madison. It’ll be interesting to see what their athletes can do when they spread it out. Eaton does seem to be progressively getting better. Any chance they challenge Brookville for what I think will be the 2 spot?
So you decide what the content of threads are? Hmmm.

So back to football. Does anyone see a drop in Valley View’s (not saying skill-wise) performance this year with a new coach? Basically, could the chemistry with the new system cause them to falter in any way?

So back to football. Does anyone see a drop in Valley View’s (not saying skill-wise) performance this year with a new coach? Basically, could the chemistry with the new system cause them to falter in any way?
a little bit to start the year. unless they really take to the spread quickly. but that’s normal. give them 3-4 games.

I don't see VV being challenged on their side. Bellbrook should win the other side but their is more competition there with Franklin and Waynesville. Brookville will be 2nd to VV and Franklin/Waynesville 2nd on the other side.

I do think their could be several SWBL schools win playoff games. Brookville will be a tough out in DV. VV and Bellbrook should win a game or 2. Waynesville and Franklin could win a game depending on match ups.

I also wonder. Not just about chemistry, but a new head coach, OC, and DC?
I thought the old guys were pretty good. I do not know the new coaches.

I do think their could be several SWBL schools win playoff games. Brookville will be a tough out in DV. VV and Bellbrook should win a game or 2. Waynesville and Franklin could win a game depending on match ups.
Bellbrook will be regional finals caliber.

outside of them, i don’t see anyone outside of maybe Valley View winning a game in the playoffs.

Brookville was extremely disappointing last year in D5. ditto for Waynesville in D4.

predictions:
Bellbrook- 1 seed
Valley View- 6 seed
Brookville- 7 seed
Waynesville- 10 seed
Franklin- 11 seed
Madison- 12 seed
Eaton- 14 seed
Carlisle- 15 seed

Monroe and Oakwood miss out.

My man, I started a thread because nothing was happening on here. I even posted on this one saying I posted a thread and gave people the choice of continuing on the other or getting this one back going. I’m not challenging anyone, I made a statement about talking about current stuff versus “maybe” stuff, which you seemed to not like. How about we drop it, we move on, talk about SWBL 2021 football and be big boys now!
It has more to do that we're still in the offseason here on the football thread. Things pick back up in content in August. Until then, it'll be a wide array of random posts from time to time.

I think there are a lot of unknowns currently with VV. New coaching staff, new system, and when I say new, it's a complete overhaul. So until you see it on the field, I think it's hard to feel great about it. They'll lose some good weapons from last year's team including their QB. The Spartans benefit most by a very favorable schedule. When I say they have a favorable schedule, Week 1 @ Shawnee, Week 2 @ Miltion Union, and Week 3 vs. Ross won't be a walk in the park. But once league play starts, things start to ease up until maybe Franklin. Shawnee will be tough, MU won't be a sure win, Ross may very well be a loss. Valley View hasn't beaten Franklin or Bellbrook in three years. So a 5 loss season is in play, but I could also see them maybe losing only to Ross and Bellbrook. I would go with as good as 9-1, as low as 5-5.

@ Shawnee
@ Milton Union
vs. Ross
vs. Oakwood
@ Madison
vs. Brookville
@ Carlisle
vs. Franklin
vs. Eaton
@ Bellbrook

Last edited:
The SWBL is going to be a three man show. Franklin, Bellbrook and Valley View. I don't see anything from the old Buckeye Division that's highly competitive. The SW might have Eaton and Oakwood to deal with.
At this point it's hard to say.

I think there are a lot of unknowns currently with VV. New coaching staff, new system, and when I say new, it's a complete overhaul. So until you see it on the field, I think it's hard to feel great about it. They'll lose some good weapons from last year's team including their QB. The Spartans benefit most by a very favorable schedule. When I say they have a favorable schedule, Week 1 @ Shawnee and Week 2 vs. Ross won't be a walk in the park. But once league play starts, things start to ease up until maybe Franklin. Right now I see 9 games on their schedule. Shawnee will be tough, Ross may very well be a loss. Valley View hasn't beaten Franklin or Bellbrook in three years. So a four loss season is in play, but I could also see them maybe losing only to Ross and Bellbrook.

@ Shawnee
vs. Ross
vs. Oakwood
@ Madison
vs. Brookville
@ Carlisle
vs. Franklin
vs. Eaton
@ Bellbrook
@ Milton Union week 2

The SWBL is going to be a three man show. Franklin, Bellbrook and Valley View. I don't see anything from the old Buckeye Division that's highly competitive. The SW might have Eaton and Oakwood to deal with.
At this point it's hard to say.
Definitely see Valley View taking the West, with Brookville coming in at 2. In the East, it’s Bellbrook at the top, but I do think Waynesville challenges Franklin for the 2 spot. Franklin has lost a lot and they have a new system they aren’t used to going into this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.