2023 Pittsburgh Steelers

I think they did fine. I’ll trust the guys that evaluate talent for a living. Liked the 7th round pick. Best punter in the nation can’t hurt.

I guess I would have to.look at other coaches in the HoF but I thought cowher was a weak addition to the HoF.

I guess I would have to.look at other coaches in the HoF but I thought cowher was a weak addition to the HoF.
That is my thought as well. But like you I don’t know much about the others enshrined. I haven’t heard much criticism about the choice but I don’t watch or listen to sports talk often.

Hmmm. Cowhers regular season record is 149-90-1. ( 0.623) Playoffs 12-9
Tomlin is 145-78-1 ( 0.650) regular season and 8-8 playoffs

Hmmm. Cowhers regular season record is 149-90-1. ( 0.623) Playoffs 12-9
Tomlin is 145-78-1 ( 0.650) regular season and 8-8 playoffs

Many steelers fans dont like tomlin because he is black.

Everyone wants to praise Cowher, and he did a great job bringing the franchise back after Noll. 1-1 in the SB. The loss to the Cowboys....Dallas was just that much better. 3 HOFers, an OL that was just amazing so there is no shame in that loss.

How many AFC Champ games did he lose at home? Chargers. Broncos. Patriots. They had a knack of losing the biggest games at home in the playoffs.

but I digress. He did a great job for a very long time so I guess that is right on the cusp of a HoF career. There was not much of a dropoff in the bad/rebuilding years like you see in most franchises.

At the end of the day I guess the question can be asked: If this was 1992 (I think) again, would you still hire Cowher knowing what we all know now?

Absolutely.

Also, if we know now then what we know now, would you still hire Tomlin? I would say......yes.

Cowher isn't a Lambardi, Noll, Landry, Walsh, etc. tier coach but definitely in a tier with Tony Dungy.

It wasn't always smooth sailing for Cowher. He had rough stretches and was ridiculed for it by Steelers fans. I distinctly remember calls for his job after the 1998 season.

Cowher managed to have success with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox at QB, and went to the Super Bowl when he actually had good QB play. His defenses were consistently at the top of league, and he drafted extremely well. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't become a GM.

Comparisons to Tomlin are not really valid. Tomlin has had a HOF QB his entire tenure and easily the best collection of offensive talent the team has ever had (and hasn't done much of anything for over a decade other than get embarrassed in the back half of the season).

Many steelers fans dont like tomlin because he is black.

Everyone wants to praise Cowher, and he did a great job bringing the franchise back after Noll. 1-1 in the SB. The loss to the Cowboys....Dallas was just that much better. 3 HOFers, an OL that was just amazing so there is no shame in that loss.

How many AFC Champ games did he lose at home? Chargers. Broncos. Patriots. They had a knack of losing the biggest games at home in the playoffs.

but I digress. He did a great job for a very long time so I guess that is right on the cusp of a HoF career. There was not much of a dropoff in the bad/rebuilding years like you see in most franchises.

At the end of the day I guess the question can be asked: If this was 1992 (I think) again, would you still hire Cowher knowing what we all know now?

Absolutely.

Also, if we know now then what we know now, would you still hire Tomlin? I would say......yes.
I agree with your entire post. I remember being VERY nervous about SB XXX. I thought Troy and Emmitt were good, bit I felt Irvin was a match up nightmare. Pleasantly suprised that it was 20-17 in the 4th quarter until that interception
Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin had about the same coaching resumes pre Steeler. Hired in their mid 30s, defensive position coach for a few years, followed by a short stint as D coordinator. Since 1969 that formula is 3 for 3.

I agree with your entire post. I remember being VERY nervous about SB XXX. I thought Troy and Emmitt were good, bit I felt Irvin was a match up nightmare. Pleasantly suprised that it was 20-17 in the 4th quarter until that interception
Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin had about the same coaching resumes pre Steeler. Hired in their mid 30s, defensive position coach for a few years, followed by a short stint as D coordinator. Since 1969 that formula is 3 for 3.
Absolutely.
If our next HC hired has a 15 year track record of MT and Cowher then we will be a happy fan base.

Woodson is my all time fav. To see him come back in the SB and play a few snaps after tearing his ACL week 1 (I was at that game vs the Lions) was great. That would never happen nowadays. I still remember the pass he knocked down that was thrown to Irvin and he just pointed to his knee.

Classic.

Steelers apparently have worked a trade for LB Joe Schobert of the Jags (formerly Browns) I always liked him and thought he was the best defensive player the Browns had in 2018-19. Certainly adds needed depth in the middle.

Steelers about to make JJ NFL top paid defensive player. My son, who follows this stuff closer than I do, says the Steelers will have the most or close to the most Cap space of any NFL team next season. I’ll have to see if I can confirm that.

Maybe if Ben actually retires and they let JuJu go. After Watt and Minkah get new deals, the cap situation will be a bit different

Maybe if Ben actually retires and they let JuJu go. After Watt and Minkah get new deals, the cap situation will be a bit different
Signing both TJ and Minkah was baked into the cap space. They will eat part or most of it up but that doesn’t break the bank. Ju Ju will be gone and probably Ben unless he has an outstanding season.

Well, good solid road win against a high caliber opponent. Not pretty but still a win. Overall the D did a fine job, with the exception of a few 4th quarter Singletary runs

I don’t know if the OL be a great unit this year but they should be competent by the end of the season

Ben looked really bad in the first half and decent in the second. Hopefully that was just rust from barely playing in preseason. Avoided throwing any picks which is nice

The DL pushed a very good Bills OL around and the rotation of Highsmith and Ingram + Watt is going to cause a lot of problems. The front 7 as a whole looked very good

I don’t know if the OL be a great unit this year but they should be competent by the end of the season

Ben looked really bad in the first half and decent in the second. Hopefully that was just rust from barely playing in preseason. Avoided throwing any picks which is nice

The DL pushed a very good Bills OL around and the rotation of Highsmith and Ingram + Watt is going to cause a lot of problems. The front 7 as a whole looked very good
They need to find a way to get Harris on track to help Ben out a little.

Ingram didn’t have a sack but he was in The QBs zip code the whole game.