2021 Northern Lakes League

Nice OOC play. Would not be surprised if they go 3-0 into conference play, Findlay is a tough team and SJJ will see if the younger Lichtenberg can fill the shoes of his brother.

Not to bleed another topic into this thread, but with them scheduling SJJ could it be fair to say P-Burg would still theoretically schedule some of the privates should all of this alignment talk finally go into action?

"Theoretically?" I'd think you could aim a little more hopeful than that. Wounds heal and those wounds weren't really PBurgs, were they? Say public and private separated: if the private school can bring a crowd, sure why not? My experience, at least they'll bring the booze. You can get a pretty good buzz sitting on the SJJ side.

What are numbers looking like this year?
I believe Maumee should have 60+ and field three teams. The Senior class might be pretty small though.

I think that Maumee is the sleeper this year as they are returning quite a bit.

Who did BG hire as their coach?

What would PBurg do in the Columbus area?

Only recent data point is that 2 4-6 PBurg teams lost by 45 and 21 to Coffman.

Then again a lot of teams lose by 45 and 21 to Coffman.

They'd struggle with the Coffmans, Olentangys (all of them likely), and Pickerington schools. But I'd bet they could be similar to a Marysville, who usually beats the weak teams but rarely beats the good ones. Somewhere between 4-6 and 7-3 most years. Certainly good enough to beat Jerome, but also bad enough to lose to them. All depends on the year.

Some pretty good Out of Conference slates this year as far as competitive balance and fun games to watch. Guess Findlay and Clay got their NLL invites a year early lol

Anthony Wayne-
@ Findlay
vs. St. Johns
@ Clay

Bowling Green-
@ Bath
vs. Eastwood
@ Findlay

Maumee-
vs. Clay
vs. Bryan
@ Eastwood

Napoleon-
@ Defiance
vs. Liberty Center
vs. Wauseon

Northview-
@ Hilliard Bradley
vs. Clay
vs. Bowsher

Perrysburg-
vs. Dublin Jerome
vs. Findlay
@ St. Johns

Southview-
vs. Rogers
@ Waite
@ Lyndhurst Brush

Springfield-
vs. Sandusky
@ Columbian
@ Whitmer

Last edited:
1. AW
2. PB
3. Napoleon
4. Maumee
5. Northview
6. Springfield - rebuild
7. Southview - low numbers
8. BG - low numbers...new coach...not being in school for most have last year had to hurt

1. AW
2. PB
3. Napoleon
4. Maumee
5. Northview
6. Springfield - rebuild
7. Southview - low numbers
8. BG - low numbers...new coach...not being in school for most have last year had to hurt

Did Maumee get some big time transfers? Seems like a big jump for a team who has one win in the league in the last three years and scored exactly 10 points in the 6 meaningful conference games last year (I think Springfield had something like 3 seniors on the field for the exhibition at the end of the year due to injuries and other calamity)...or is that more of an indictment of the bottom 3 teams?

Did Maumee get some big time transfers? Seems like a big jump for a team who has one win in the league in the last three years and scored exactly 10 points in the 6 meaningful conference games last year (I think Springfield had something like 3 seniors on the field for the exhibition at the end of the year due to injuries and other calamity)...or is that more of an indictment of the bottom 3 teams?
dappling is always overly optimistic regarding his Panthers

I would say the following:

1. AW
2. PB
3. Napoleon
4. Northview
5. BG
6. Springfield
7. Southview
8. Maumee

Pburg lost their best OL about two weeks ago. It's a huge loss as he was 1st Team all NLL last season at Guard and was going to play RT this year.

Napoleon should be tough, but they are starting a new QB and lost their best RB, however Chipps is pretty good himself.

I don't mean to disparage anyone, but Maumee will be lucky to win a game this year.

BG's best returning player from last year didn't go out for football this year, his Senior year.

I am going with:
1. AW
2. Perrysburg

3. Napoleon
4. Northview
5. Springfield

6. Bowling Green
7. Southview

8. Maumee

I am a little concerned with how much a not great Whitmer team moved around AW and Perrysburg, but I still think they are the cream of the crop with a bit of separation. Napoleon had a lot of losses from their "class" that was talked about for years, so it's kind of a "who knows" situation there. BG seems to have lost nearly everyone now from last year's team, and with a new coach, who knows what'll happen there. Maumee might win a game, but I just don't see it from what they had returning.

PBurgFan, do you know if they're sticking with a spread type offense on Roachton, or are they moving more to where the new coach is comfortable on a read-option/significantly more run heavy situation. They looked to be going pretty vanilla in the Whitmer scrimmage from what I was told.

I am going with:
1. AW
2. Perrysburg

3. Napoleon
4. Northview
5. Springfield

6. Bowling Green
7. Southview

8. Maumee

I am a little concerned with how much a not great Whitmer team moved around AW and Perrysburg, but I still think they are the cream of the crop with a bit of separation. Napoleon had a lot of losses from their "class" that was talked about for years, so it's kind of a "who knows" situation there. BG seems to have lost nearly everyone now from last year's team, and with a new coach, who knows what'll happen there. Maumee might win a game, but I just don't see it from what they had returning.

PBurgFan, do you know if they're sticking with a spread type offense on Roachton, or are they moving more to where the new coach is comfortable on a read-option/significantly more run heavy situation. They looked to be going pretty vanilla in the Whitmer scrimmage from what I was told.
IMO, they will be mostly a running team. Not like Coach Connor was at BG, but when you have a 1st Team All State RB you should run the ball a lot. That said, the other skill positions are pretty good and they are expecting a lot from the QB. He got some good experience last year and played pretty well in the playoff loss, which was his first ever start. They will also use the RB more in the passing game as he's got pretty good hands as well. Didn't see really any of that in the scrimmages. I also believe they are going to use the QB a lot more running the ball. In the two scrimmages he really only ran the one time on a bootleg vs Whitmer, but he's a very good runner himself.

And yes, they were VERY vanilla vs Whitmer...on both sides of the ball. I'm sure Whitmer was as well. And like I said before, I was at the scrimmage, and I definitely wouldn't say that Whitmer "moved" Pburg around. Again, I thought both teams were fairly equal. Neither team threw the ball all that well and both ran it fairly well. Pburg had 2-3 huge drops that would've been either a first down or big gains, but that happens. Whitmer has 2 pretty good backs (I think one is the McCoy kid from SFS but couldn't tell as I didn't know that at the time) and of course their QB is a load running it. Again, they should be a tough out for anyone this year in the TRAC.

Whitmer has 2 pretty good backs (I think one is the McCoy kid from SFS but couldn't tell as I didn't know that at the time) and of course their QB is a load running it.
From what I’ve heard, the two backs are McCoy from SFS and Armon Bowman who played at TCC his freshman year.

Is your QB comment in reference to Whitmer’s freshman QB from Eastwood or Hornbeak?

From what I’ve heard, the two backs are McCoy from SFS and Armon Bowman who played at TCC his freshman year.

Is your QB comment in reference to Whitmer’s freshman QB from Eastwood or Hornbeak?
Hornbeak. Kid is like 250 lbs at QB. I'm guessing he won't run it all that much to keep him healthy. Maybe short yardage type stuff.

Not sure which RB it was, but whoever #2 was for Whitmer in the scrimmage had a nice TD run of 32 yds.

The Freshman kid will be good. Throws a nice ball.

Heard something about his father passing away and before he did the father and mother decided it would be best for their son's chances at "making it" football-wise.
Wow, that’s terrible. I love seeing NW Ohio kids make it at the next level no matter where they attended high school, I hope this is one of those kids we get to see doing great things.

Is your QB comment in reference to Whitmer’s freshman QB from Eastwood or Hornbeak
IMO, they will be mostly a running team. Not like Coach Connor was at BG, but when you have a 1st Team All State RB you should run the ball a lot. That said, the other skill positions are pretty good and they are expecting a lot from the QB. He got some good experience last year and played pretty well in the playoff loss, which was his first ever start. They will also use the RB more in the passing game as he's got pretty good hands as well. Didn't see really any of that in the scrimmages. I also believe they are going to use the QB a lot more running the ball. In the two scrimmages he really only ran the one time on a bootleg vs Whitmer, but he's a very good runner himself.

And yes, they were VERY vanilla vs Whitmer...on both sides of the ball. I'm sure Whitmer was as well. And like I said before, I was at the scrimmage, and I definitely wouldn't say that Whitmer "moved" Pburg around. Again, I thought both teams were fairly equal. Neither team threw the ball all that well and both ran it fairly well. Pburg had 2-3 huge drops that would've been either a first down or big gains, but that happens. Whitmer has 2 pretty good backs (I think one is the McCoy kid from SFS but couldn't tell as I didn't know that at the time) and of course their QB is a load running it. Again, they should be a tough out for anyone this year in the TRAC.
I was at both scrimmages of Whitmers. I thought Whitmer ran the ball down AW throat and would have all night if it was a real game, but AW did have a long (80ish yard) TD run, they just couldn’t make a stop on defense. I think AW offense could put up enough points to keep them in it. Whitmer converted on 4th and short 4-5 times and played keep away.

I thought PB played more physical up front than AW vs Whitmer. PB got jobbed by the refs on their TD, and a terrible PI call on 3rd and long allowed Whitmer to score their last TD. I think it would have been a really close contest if they played a true game

If PB and AW played today I would give the slight edge to PB, and expect a similar game to what they played last season. But both teams will grow and get better.

Just my 2 cents.

I was at both scrimmages of Whitmers. I thought Whitmer ran the ball down AW throat and would have all night if it was a real game, but AW did have a long (80ish yard) TD run, they just couldn’t make a stop on defense. I think AW offense could put up enough points to keep them in it. Whitmer converted on 4th and short 4-5 times and played keep away.

I thought PB played more physical up front than AW vs Whitmer. PB got jobbed by the refs on their TD, and a terrible PI call on 3rd and long allowed Whitmer to score their last TD. I think it would have been a really close contest if they played a true game

If PB and AW played today I would give the slight edge to PB, and expect a similar game to what they played last season. But both teams will grow and get better.

Just my 2 cents.
Agree with what you said regarding the Pburg vs Whitmer scrimmage. Honestly, I thought there were several "bad" calls. Two non PI calls on Whitmer DB's and two bad PI calls on the Pburg D. I'm sure some will just say "whatever, you're just a Pburg fan" but I also get the tape from the game so I could replay them. Terrible calls. Also a terrible call on what was a TD run after the QB was called down at the 1. The Pburg RB definitely scored....horrible spot. But oh well. Just a scrimmage.

Interesting with what you said about AW. Curious who had the 80 yd TD run. Was it the Caswell kid? He's been a stud since 6th grade. Hard to believe he barely played last year.....only in mop up duty. For those who haven't heard of him......remember the name Joe Caswell. Really good player.

Anyone know how AW did against TCC in their scrimmage? Only thing I saw was a couple of highlights on WTOL and someone on twitter saying that both QB's had a TD.

Any thoughts on maumee vs clay? I do know that maumee feels that their junior class is the strength of their program now.

Any thoughts on maumee vs clay? I do know that maumee feels that their junior class is the strength of their program now.
Clay wins BIG.

Maumee is just not very good. Clay is decent, even though they had a couple of kids who decided not to play this year (QB and RB).

I said in another post that Maumee might not win a game again this year. They only have 43 on their roster. I heard from someone who was at their scrimmage vs Genoa that they were not very good.

Clay wins BIG.

Maumee is just not very good. Clay is decent, even though they had a couple of kids who decided not to play this year (QB and RB).

I said in another post that Maumee might not win a game again this year. They only have 43 on their roster. I heard from someone who was at their scrimmage vs Genoa that they were not very good.
Is it me, or do all area rosters seem like they have lower numbers this year?

Napoleon loses the River Rock in a 7-0 game against Defiance...from what I heard, ugly doesn't even begin to cover what the on-field product looked like.

Napoleon loses the River Rock in a 7-0 game against Defiance...from what I heard, ugly doesn't even begin to cover what the on-field product looked like.
I watched it online. Neither team did much offensively, but Napoleon had numerous chances inside the 5 yard line. The play they ran on 4th and goal at the 1 was stupid IMO. Why not just ram Chipps up the middle or off tackle, or sneak Wolf? They ran kind of a sweep and Defiance got good penetration and blew it up. Again, they tried running more side to side than right at the goal line.

Napoleon has Sophomore's starting at both OT positions. That's going to make it tough on them this year. They have some decent skill positions, but also a new QB.