2021 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are your thoughts on Massillon at this point of the season. Before the season started and considering only 3 or 4 starters returned, I predicted 9 and 4 at best. This team has surpassed my expectations and confirmed that coach Moore is developing a solid program. To be honest, I didn't believe it was possible and that our past was as good as it would get. It's becoming evident that Mr. Moore is VERY good at what he does. The future looks bright.....
He’s great at recruiting. I’m sure a lot of those kids are from Massillon. He’s developing a solid program because he’s bringing in lots of talent.

There's a difference between recruiting and attracting. Massillon is a place kids want to be. Its very evident that kids are reaching their full potential here. Heck, 2nd team players are getting college offers. No one works as hard to get these kids into college than Mr. Moore. It's a win win for everyone except those who are sour at Massillons success. The home grown and those who want to be a part of it all benefit from things being done the right way.

Cool story but nothing we have not heard about every coach we've ever had since Paul Brown.

Here is the safest prediction you will ever hear: Massillon's next coach will be a good recruiter. :) Wouldn't matter if it be Slates, Baum, Budd, Hall, Wattley, homegrown, or halfway across the state. Massillon is Massillon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that Coach Moore does a great job. I just want it to be noted that the main reason for the success is attracting outside talent year in and year out. A all home grown Massillon team doesn’t produce near this talent.
The town has 33,000 people at best. Of course it doesn't. The numbers don't compute.

It’s hard to keep up with all of you Massillon haters and the rules you use when something gets thrown back in your face.
“Well he was born here and moved away and then came back”…..
“Well he transferred in the 8th grade so that’s not a real transfer”….
“He is still homegrown if he transferred in and did not make a difference”….
??‍♂️?
All I know is when I go to a Massillon Tiger game I know every kid on that sidelines attends WHS and is playing for the Tigers. Where he went to elementary or middle school or anything else is irrelevant.

Ohhhh so now it’s only “homegrown” if they transferred in and made a difference.
It’s hard to keep up with all of you Massillon haters and the rules you use when something gets thrown back in your face.
“Well he was born here and moved away and then came back”…..
“Well he transferred in the 8th grade so that’s not a real transfer”….
“He is still homegrown if he transferred in and did not make a difference”….
??‍♂️?
All I know is when I go to a Massillon Tiger game I know every kid on that sidelines attends WHS and is playing for the Tigers. Where he went to elementary or middle school or anything else is irrelevant.
They truly are exhausting arent they? Very sad individuals

Anthony Wayne
Medina Highland
Avon
Avon Lake
Hudson

You never see these teams have a player who had success elsewhere transfer in. I'll wait for you to give me a player who has transferred in and made a difference for these teams.... aka homegrown.

By those standards lots of schools are year in year out "successful." Bottom line not nearly successful enough. Including us.

We need to worry about private schools stacking up titles not whether publics should close their enrollment. Wtf?

He’s great at recruiting. I’m sure a lot of those kids are from Massillon. He’s developing a solid program because he’s bringing in lots of talent.
So, you think he was successful at Minster because he was a great recruiter? LaSalle same question? He's a great coach and person, people want to come and play for him, he doesn't have to recruit, kids came to these programs because they wanted to play for him. Read into it any off the wall thought you have but the truth is what it is.

He played at Beachwood. I wasn't talking about 1 year. I'm saying it's a repeat thing year after year. It's not a bad thing at all. He's a great coach that built something cool to be apart of.
Oh and by the way Hartson only played at Beachwood his FRESHMAN year and according to you that means he isn’t really a transfer.

He played at Beachwood. I wasn't talking about 1 year. I'm saying it's a repeat thing year after year. It's not a bad thing at all. He's a great coach that built something cool to be apart of.
Hartson and the Beachwood kids live in Massillon and don't count towards competitive balance. By your standards based on your comments about Medina, Avon, ect. they are homegrown.

Newsflash we been winning w/out Hartson. Ditto Lennix. (see @ Fitch when both were out). Ditto others. I agree they make us better, esp. against loaded private schools (who could give a crap what Hooley thinks) but they don't make us good. We still run through Fed and compete vs. any public he listed.

Btw our soph, frosh, and 8th graders are pretty good too. I know hard to believe, how do they do it??? Better start googling birth certificates. :)

Enough of that. Gameday! Go Tigers!!! Can't wait to see how we do against this stud back of theirs. (I think).

My opinion on the "Stark County Football" talk that goes on year after year.

Massillon and McKinley have built a sturdy foundation dating back to the late 1800's. They are BOTH a huge reason that Ohio High School Football is thought of in such high regard....Massillon obviously dominated in the early portion of the sport and if Massillon didn't exist, McKinley would have WAY more poll, or...."mythical" titles than they do. Since the inception of the playoffs, Massillon is one of the most consistent programs in the state, despite not yet having won a playoff title and despite McKinley's recent competitive drought, two of their three state championship teams (81) and (97), should be considered when discussing all time best Ohio teams. Now....with THAT said, I'll say this. Massillon and McKinley let are the obvious flag bearers for the county, but....what have the other county schools done to merit being included in this discussion? Sure there have been some good teams but every other school in the county, sans CCC has been WILDLY inconsistent, some have had 0-10 seasons, some have went almost 30 years before winning a playoff game....and 20 years before winning a second. One, a division 1 school, hasn't beaten a D1 school, outside of their conference, with a winning record since 2012. My point? What qualifies these other schools to be included in this discussion?

Could this be interpreted any further than, the OHSAA disliking Massillon to the degree, that they blatantly put them in a stadium for the REGIONAL FINALS, that probably seats just above the number of season ticket holders the home team has?

Will they try and will people accept a new excuse for this type of action, that the game is available online and regardless of the effect financially, on the host team, that they would be sharing the internet revenues?!

Don't forget that previous tournament game attendance isn't a valid excuse based on our attendance at games as they get closer to the finals.

Go back and check our attendance (if it's available) at previous regional finals and see if it doesn't illuminate how this decision was motivated (removing the home field advantage).

If there is evidence that county teams with adequate stadiums forced the game there, there was always the option of moving it to the home teams field!

Don't let the OHSAA off the hook as not taking a shot at Massillon with such an egregiously poor decision. There is NO OTHER LEGITIMATE explanation!

Last edited:
Go back and check our attendance (if it's available) at previous regional finals and see if it doesn't illuminate how this decision was motivated (removing the home field advantage).
2019 vs Akron Hoban - 9875 at Infocision
2018 vs Wadsworth - 6222 at Hoover
Also in 2019 it wasn’t a regional final but there was 5,273 vs Perry at Lake.

So imo if this game would be played in say Mansfield the attendance would be appprox 7,000. So at $10 a ticket it looks like the OHSAA would be losing around $35k.

Only thing I can say is wow! I didnt have high expectations for this years team but did expect a win tonight. Hats off to green and good luck going forward. Green was definitely the hungrier team tonight. Mass looked like they thought they could walk in and green would roll over. Were there bad calls tonight? That's for everyone to judge. The thing is if mass takes care of the ball and do what they should they win. Sometimes these kids read their press and think they are above everyone and come off a little entitled. Well this should show if you want it you have to earn it! I'm done this year and hopefully these kids and stuff can have another strong run next season. Good luck green. Well done tonight

As a diehard Warren G. Harding fan, I always tip my hat to Massillon for always putting their players in the position to succeed. That’s what separates programs from the other. Tough loss, but with the talent that they have under Coach Moore & his staff, they’ll be right back in the mix again 12 months from now. Heads up Tigers!

Heres a highlight film that I just made of Austin Brawley.

Is the play calling one of the primary causes (along with playing all-star teams) for Massillon, consistently getting outcoached in state finals playoffs games?

I remember a Sports Illustrated article on Notre Dame when Faust first went there recounting how the announcers commented that he was running a high school offense. He was quickly exposed, that his overwhelming talent and not his coaching ability were the reason for Moeller's success.

Similarly, Ed Glass (Warren HOF coach doing color on the TV broadcast) was calling Massillon's plays when Rick Shepas was head coach. Along with going into the finals most years, with their top running back out injured, it would be interesting to go over the stats of those games, along with who was calling the plays to see if a change is needed in the predictability of the offense, to take the step to a title?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.