2021 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I think they should just go with the Freshman. Let him learn on the go
That’s asking an awful lot of a HS freshman. He may be able to do it but I certainly have my concerns. I have no idea about McElroy or anyone else on the team. There may be a transfer that comes in too. Who knows.

At this point I think they should just go with the Freshman. Let him learn on the go
I don’t know. If you put a kid out there that isn’t ready, a lot can go bad. I would almost always go with a senior over a freshman to start out. Then work the Freshman in as the season progresses. If you put him in too soon, you risk destroying his confidence especially with the schedule that you are playing this year. Just my opinion. The kid is going to be great for sure though.

Reactions: Bud
Well it’s not like we have many options. I just don’t see what good wasting time with the other kid will accomplish. He’s got no experience and frankly he’s not a quarterback to me. If someone transfers in I would explore that option obviously. You don’t have to ask him to throw it much they have plenty of backs to feed and a big offensive line. Guess we will see what the coaching staff comes up with.

By the same token if he doesn't have to throw much why not use someone who can run who is more physically mature?

I see running QB's all over the state be effective who are only so-so passers. For some reason Massillon has become allergic to the concept.

By the same token if he doesn't have to throw much why not use someone who can run who is more physically mature?

I see running QB's all over the state be effective who are only so-so passers. For some reason Massillon has become allergic to the concept.
Actually I would tend to agree with you. But exactly what you said, Massillon has become allergic to that idea. So with that being said, I would just go with the freshman unless they decide to adopt that idea and put a kid in there to be more of a threat running the ball.

Actually I would tend to agree with you. But exactly what you said, Massillon has become allergic to that idea. So with that being said, I would just go with the freshman unless they decide to adopt that idea and put a kid in there to be more of a threat running the ball.
Not sure how you guys can say we became allergic to that. We have been lucky to have a string of high quality qbs come through in a row coupled with high quality receivers.

If they are close to the same skill levels go with the freshman and setup the program for more success in the future. Instead of seeing him possible transfer for not getting pt.

Not sure how you guys can say we became allergic to that. We have been lucky to have a string of high quality qbs come through in a row coupled with high quality receivers.

Very true. But we also go a step above most to protect them. Even the golden arms up in Mentor have designed runs.

I get it though some of that is luck as you said. Hurst was the last guy who was any legit run threat. (And he got hurt!).

How big is the freshman? I've watch some video but have not seen him in person but he looks to be very talented but he also looks to be on the small size. You can play both sides of the fence on this, on one hand he could get valuable experience on the other hand he could get physically manhandled by getting hit by very large 17-18 yr old's I mean what is he 14-15 years old? Tough call and tough position to be in. I wonder if there's a track record with coach Moore if he's had this situation before at LaSalle or Minster? If he doesn't start I would certainly lean to playing him whenever the opportunity is there because at minimum it sounds like he's #2 and you know the old saying, he's one hit away from being the starter anyway.

This QB situation reminds me of the year Andrew David was the sr. and Danny Clark was a highly touted fr. That was during Hall's tenure though. Does anyone remember what year that was???

This QB situation reminds me of the year Andrew David was the sr. and Danny Clark was a highly touted fr. That was during Hall's tenure though. Does anyone remember what year that was???
2013, after Clark threw that bomb to Rogers in the 3rd qtr against Perry week 1, there wasn’t going to be a qb controversy.
David was a Jr that year.

How big is the freshman? I've watch some video but have not seen him in person but he looks to be very talented but he also looks to be on the small size. You can play both sides of the fence on this, on one hand he could get valuable experience on the other hand he could get physically manhandled by getting hit by very large 17-18 yr old's I mean what is he 14-15 years old? Tough call and tough position to be in. I wonder if there's a track record with coach Moore if he's had this situation before at LaSalle or Minster? If he doesn't start I would certainly lean to playing him whenever the opportunity is there because at minimum it sounds like he's #2 and you know the old saying, he's one hit away from being the starter anyway.
It is a tough call I agree. The kid from Hoban was a 4 year starter and I realize not every situation is the same. At this point though I think it’s more of an option than I thought it would be this year. It’ll all work itself out. I am curious to see how coach Moore handles this. I think this situation is different than when it was Clark and David. About 60 days until game 1

Saw a highlight of the kid and he threw a 50 yarder in the air. Arm strength seems to be pretty good and will only get better. I'm on the fence. There is logic on both sides of the argument on who to start. Seeing what happened with Crable, if I'm a coach, I have to coach for the now. These kids and parents don't have loyalty so investing in a freshmen for one or two years, and then leaves, as a coach, you have nothing to show for it then. You can't lock these kids and parents into a contract.

But, I'm also on the side of developing for the future... but like I said, you can't guarantee that these kids/parents will stay.

Saw a highlight of the kid and he threw a 50 yarder in the air. Arm strength seems to be pretty good and will only get better. I'm on the fence. There is logic on both sides of the argument on who to start. Seeing what happened with Crable, if I'm a coach, I have to coach for the now. These kids and parents don't have loyalty so investing in a freshmen for one or two years, and then leaves, as a coach, you have nothing to show for it then. You can't lock these kids and parents into a contract.

But, I'm also on the side of developing for the future... but like I said, you can't guarantee that these kids/parents will stay.
Middle school ball is smaller FYI. If we’re going with a run heavy offense just use McElroy to tote the rock

You have said this a few times about the size of the ball, so every middle school QB can throw 50 yards in the air ?
I’m just saying it’s a completely different animal throwing a high school ball and people keep saying how he made all these throws last year but those throws are irrelevant. I’m not saying hey sucks or that his arm is “weak” but he can’t throw 50yds with ease like people say

Proof will be in the pudding. If/when the freshman is ready, physically as well as mentally, the coaches will see it. Rarified air though. Should be interesting. PC would be one helluvan initiation that's for sure.

Lol okay I give up. Apparently y’all are willing to die on this hill
At this time on June 26th should Jalen Slaughter start at QB ? Yes absolutely, does that mean he will be QB1 for the PC game, not at all. There are a lot of practices and 7 on 7’s and scrimmages before that is answered. But right now I believe he is the best we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.