2021 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Maxie, your Federal League non conference thread was great, exposed a a lot about the reason that league is the way it is. One day there were like 15 posts, returned later and it had been moderated down to two....now I can't even find it. Looks like the skirts cried enough that it's gone.

Yes, you are correct. I posted the thread twice. I received a PM, from an anonymous source, telling me the thread was sent to another forum. I’m sure there are certain Fed posters that complained.

Last edited:
It looks like Massillon lost a lot of starters from last year’s team. This isn’t always an indication of how good a team will be. Based on what you have coming back, how good will the 2021-2022 team be? Did most of the returning players play JV last year?
At PC, we lost a lot but we also return a very strong nucleus. The O-Line and D-Line will be the strength of our team. The front 7 on defense will be very good.
I haven’t read through the thread so if there is another post please let me know. I am definitely looking forward to coming up to this game and hopefully the stadium will be full.

It looks like Massillon lost a lot of starters from last year’s team. This isn’t always an indication of how good a team will be. Based on what you have coming back, how good will the 2021-2022 team be? Did most of the returning players play JV last year?
At PC, we lost a lot but we also return a very strong nucleus. The O-Line and D-Line will be the strength of our team. The front 7 on defense will be very good.
I haven’t read through the thread so if there is another post please let me know. I am definitely looking forward to coming up to this game and hopefully the stadium will be full.
Yes we lost a lot from last years team. It looks like 3 starters back on O and just 1 on D, it will take a huge effort to keep it close week 1 against PC. Let’s hope PBTS can be full in August !!!

I'm "higher" on Louisville than most other Massillon Fans. Louisville would have beat multiple of the Jason Hall Massillon teams. Moving along, sounds like there's a lot of people thinking the Tigers will suck next year? I'm must be missing something, maybe I will have to reevaluate.

I'm "higher" on Louisville than most other Massillon Fans. Louisville would have beat multiple of the Jason Hall Massillon teams. Moving along, sounds like there's a lot of people thinking the Tigers will suck next year? I'm must be missing something, maybe I will have to reevaluate.

I don’t agree with you about Louisville beating multiple Jason Hall Massillon teams. However, I agree with you, the Tigers are going to be fine in 2021. Maybe some of our fans are playing “possum.” ?

I don’t agree with you about Louisville beating multiple Jason Hall Massillon teams. However, I agree with you, the Tigers are going to be fine in 2021. Maybe some of our fans are playing “possum.” ?

I believe that the 2015 Louisville team (who lost in the playoffs to the eventual state champs Akron Hoban 21-14) would have beat the 2015 Massillon team. Who knows.

Note: this was Coach Moores first year, but with Jason Hall's talent development.

Edit: Probable loss to Louisville in '08 as well. I'm sure there are other years it would have been close. I liked the game on the schedule, wish it would be brought back.

Last edited:
I believe that the 2015 Louisville team (who lost in the playoffs to the eventual state champs Akron Hoban 21-14) would have beat the 2015 Massillon team. Who knows.

Note: this was Coach Moores first year, but with Jason Hall's talent development.

Edit: Probable loss to Louisville in '08 as well. I'm sure there are other years it would have been close. I liked the game on the schedule, wish it would be brought back.

Playing and beating a 2-8 Hoover, a 2-8 Alliance an 0-10 Minerva, Carrollton, West Branch....isn't impressive, Massillon lost to Fitch by a point (7-6)....Louisville lost to them by 3 scores. Massillon's schedule was WAY tougher. 2015 Massillon beats Louisville by 3 scores....BUT....Louisville at least would have sniffed the endzone.

Ohio State’s Thayer Munford's main motivation is graduation (dispatch.com)

Determined to graduate, Ohio State tackle Thayer Munford returns for final season
Bill Rabinowitz
Buckeye Xtra
View Comments
Tackle Thayer Munford's motivation to return to Ohio State for a fifth season had less to do with football than completing his academic journey.

Thayer Munford anticipated the question and pounced on it like he would an overmatched defensive end.
Munford is a three-year starter at left tackle for Ohio State. A senior last year, the expectation was that he would enter the NFL draft after a stellar 2020 season. According to Pro Football Focus, Munford had zero penalties or sacks in 512 snaps last season. Among all college players, he graded behind only Alabama quarterback Mac Jones in competition against ranked teams.
Yet here’s Munford, putting himself through the rigors of spring practice for a fifth season. Why?
“I love this question,” he said in recent conference call with reporters.
The reason is simple, he said. He wants to earn his degree in sport industry. He’s on track to graduate in August and he promised his mother that he would get his diploma.

“I can be the first person in my family to actually graduate college,” he said.
Ohio State defense:'The unit is looking very, very strong': Buckeyes' starting linebackers will be new, but embrace the high standard
It goes beyond that. He’s the first person in his immediate family even to attend college, said his mother, MeLisa Thompson.
“I think he made a great decision,” she said. “I really do. I always tell him education is power.”

That Munford is on the brink of earning his degree at Ohio State already defies the odds. He struggled academically in high school at Cincinnati La Salle. After the school’s coach, Nate Moore, took the Massillon Washington job, Thompson decided to have Munford live with the coach's family. Moore’s wife, Becca, is an educator, and she worked diligently with Munford to help him dig out of a substantial academic hole.

“If you were to put a number on it, there was maybe a 10% chance or 20% chance that he would be an NCAA qualifier,” Nate Moore said. “An offer to Ohio State? It was probably 1% or less, I would say, when he came to us.”
It was a tightrope, and Munford could have fallen off several times. Moore recalled a time when he, Becca and their two young children were vacationing in South Carolina while Munford stayed at his mom’s home in Cincinnati. Munford called to tell them he was missing something for an online test that needed to be finished earlier than he realized. The Moores abruptly packed and drove back to Ohio so Munford could finish the test on time.

Ohio State running backs:Buckeyes freshman running backs Henderson and Pryor ready to make their mark
“We picked him up in Cincinnati and brought him back to our house in Massillon and he got online and took the test,” Moore said. “I want to say we got home at like 11 at night and the test was due at 11:59. He took the test and was able to hit ‘submit’ at like 11:58.”
Grades weren’t Munford’s only issue. Munford was overweight and lost 50 pounds before Ohio State would offer him a scholarship.
Thayer Munford (75) came to Ohio State as a low-rated recruit but by 2020 had blossomed into an NFL prospect, allowing no sacks and committing no penalties last season.

When he arrived at Ohio State, he was the third-lowest recruit in the Buckeyes’ 2017 class. But Munford earned the starting job as a sophomore, gutted through a back injury in 2019 and then had a banner season last year.

With the interior of the Buckeyes’ offensive line unsettled, the return of Munford and right tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere can’t be overstated. Ohio State coach Ryan Day said that Munford is embracing his status as the unit’s elder statesman.

“His leadership has really stepped up in the last few months,” Day said. “He understands, being from the state of Ohio, what the Buckeyes mean in the state, what the brotherhood is all about here.

“I think he appreciates the guys that have come before, and he wants to uphold that standard. I’ve been very, very impressed with him well over the last few months.”

Munford believes he has plenty of room to grow as a player.

“It’s not just one thing. It’s everything that I need to work on,” he said. “I’ve got to improve from last season. I’m not a person who’s complacent with where I’m at. That’s not me. That’s nobody on this team. Everybody wants to get better. I just don’t see myself at that level yet.”

But football is not his main priority.

“My academics are a lot more important than football,” Munford said. “I'm honored to be that first generation (to graduate), so I can tell to tell it to my kids and my grandkids, so they can tell it to their kids. I’m grateful to be in this position that I am right now.”
Day is thankful to have Munford back — for his talent as well as the example he sets.

“He’s a mature young man who understands the value of the education and what that means for the rest of his life after football,” he said. “He certainly is going to have a lot of options and opportunity after he’s done at Ohio State in the NFL. He’s very, very talented. He can do a lot of different things.”

Thompson simply appreciates that Munford is on the brink of achieving all of his dreams.
“You know how it takes a village to raise a kid?” Thompson said. “Well, his village helped bring him to where he’s at. I am truly grateful.”

Get more Ohio State football news by listening to our podcasts

brabinowitz@dispatch.com
@brdispatch

So What new players can we expect to see take the field this year? A lot of jobs are open I don’t think Massillon returns very many starters....Obviously Crable and Hartson will be in the backfield. Not concerned their but every year I always worry about both lines. Does anyone have any insight on both lines???

Returning linemen who saw action last year: Woods 260#, Jones 265#, Turpin 305#, Nash 290#, Lee 250#. Plus a couple up and coming jv guys will get their chances. Moore is another 300# who transferred in. I think related to Ellery. And we lost a pretty good 300# lineman to some school named Hoban.

So What new players can we expect to see take the field this year? A lot of jobs are open I don’t think Massillon returns very many starters....Obviously Crable and Hartson will be in the backfield. Not concerned their but every year I always worry about both lines. Does anyone have any insight on both lines???
Saw Hartson at the AA camp- he is a monster. Need all the big bodies up front to have a great off season- that Pick central front is nasty. Can’t wait to watch that on espn

Valdosta Georgia forfeited 7 games last year and are banned from the playoffs with 4 ineligible players next year. I believe that puts their win total a 932. Will We ever surpass them as the nations winningest program?

Valdosta Georgia forfeited 7 games last year and are banned from the playoffs with 4 ineligible players next year. I believe that puts their win total a 932. Will We ever surpass them as the nations winningest program?

Valdosta has appealed that decision. We should wait until that all plays out.

Returning linemen who saw action last year: Woods 260#, Jones 265#, Turpin 305#, Nash 290#, Lee 250#. Plus a couple up and coming jv guys will get their chances. Moore is another 300# who transferred in. I think related to Ellery. And we lost a pretty good 300# lineman to some school named Hoban.
Will any of those guys possibly play both sides or mainly offense? Who’s the young fella they lost to Hoban?

Status
Not open for further replies.