2021 Lancaster Golden Gales!

sportfan97

This is going to be an interesting season for the Lancaster Football program. This will be the first season since 1998 that there is a new coach leading the Gales on the Gridiron.

I look for coach Bryan Schoonover to breath some new life and excitement into a program that I think has the potential to be one of the top programs in Central Ohio.

96036231-E877-4433-B528-AA6A66E6C668.jpeg
The 2021 Schedule

Last edited:
Tough schedule . Good coaching hire. In the last couple years we have seen the end of era’s and long time coaches departing at Davidson Coffnan and Lancaster . Time stands still for no man , or program.
Good luck to the Gaels as they start their new era . I agree. 97 , I see some potential as well

I agree, lots of potential at Lancaster, but that is a brutal opening 5 games. Be patient with the new coach- he will get them going

Knowing enough about the new coach I can say he is probably putting more pressure on himself than the fan base is. He wants to see these kids succeed on and off the field.

Heard the weight room is going well. Kids are working hard and strong.

From everything I have heard you are correct. Not sure the numbers but sounds like participation is up for non spring sport athletes. Hopefully it translates to more numbers this fall. For the Gales to be successful they need to find a way to play their best athletes fewer snaps as two way players and the only way to do that is more athletes on the roster.

Lancaster won OCC-Buckeye championships in wrestling, baseball, and track and field this past winter and spring. I believe the school has the athletes to really be competitive in football. It’s just a matter of getting them to come out in the fall. I truly believe that a new coach at the helm is going to make a huge difference. Can’t wait for football season

If they go 1-9 I am sure everyone will be happy that they are unified.

“To prepare youngsters to face the future with sportsmanship, teamwork, honesty, responsibility, self-discipline, positive aspirations, academic preparedness, and confidence. If we teach them positive lessons, such as playing by the rules, our young athletes will learn to live by the rules.” Reynolds goes on to explain that “the majority of our athletes will go on to be professionals in something beyond football, and the league has dedicated itself to the development of character and life lessons that will stay with our kids well beyond their years of playing football”

That’s way more important than wins and losses…but if the kids buy into the system and learn those lessons the wins will come and Lancaster will once again be one of the better D1programs in the state of Ohio.

Coach Schoonover is really working to take the culture to the next level in Lancaster.

Check out this article from Lancaster Eagle Gazette:

Touchdown Club provides Golden Gale keepsake for newborns at FMC

Lancaster heads to Hartley in the morning for a practice. Look forward to hearing how that goes. Should be a good early indication of the new Era of Golden Gales football is looking.

Should be good. Lots of hype and excitement on Granville Pike. Don't see how Lancaster will be able to keep up with the Hawks speed in a 7on7. I will give an update tomorrow.

Started to rain right after the start... Lancaster looks solid. Very efficient on offense. I see them being anywhere from 4-6 to 7-3. You can tell they are discipline, tough and there is a sense of excitement in the program. Their offensive & defensive systems look as if there was no coaching change. Honestly, it looked as if all the same assistant coaches are still there. Just a new face of the program.

They were doing 11 on 11 with the Dline holding shields to start. Lancaster had some success. Lancaster is not as big up front as I would have expected. But they are quicker than I expected. They out ran the Hawks on a few jet plays. Overall, Hawks are a better team top to bottom.

7on7 the Hawks handled them. As they have every team they have went against in 7on7.

Thanks for the insight. I didn’t expect the Gales to look great in the 7 on 7 (wing-t doesn’t work well for that). I’m guessing a lot of juniors and sophomores contributing for the Gales this season.

I was really impressed with the culture of Lancaster. Ran everywhere they went. All had on the same shorts & their practice jersey.

My Hawks play physical & go to the whistle... the Gales did not back down.

New energy abounds as Lancaster football gears up for upcoming season

Great to hear . They seem to have that extra juice that you need to be as good as you can be. Practicing and preparing with enthusiasm is huge. It's contagious and results in most kids working towards their potential . Good luck to the Gales . Things appear to be going very well so far down there in the transition.

The Gales two Scrimmages this year are against Westerville North and Hilliard Darby. Should be two good teams to see how things are progressing. That Pick North game week 1 should be interesting. (hoping for a steady rain that night lol)

Good article about a great kid. Love seeing these young athletes that are still playing multiple sports in an era that seems to be more about specializing in just one.

Locke is not about to cheat either sport as he gives 100% to baseball and football