Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Lake Blue Streaks

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Perry Panthers

Votes: 37 23.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious why the Lake Football program has declined over the years? Is it because Durbin retired? The football tradition seems to be gone...
it's not just one thing in my opinion
1) Huge change at the state level with Division alignments in the past 15 years or so. Division 2 is now loaded with parochial schools and former D1 schools
2) League play has changed. We are now the smallest school in the fed and have been since McKinley/Fitch/Boardman joined in the early 2000s(Fitch/Boardman have since left)
3) Lake doesn't have as many kids as we used to. Enrollment is down(at least the last time i looked)
4) coaching definitely isn't on par with Durbin and his staff....in all fairness, the game has changed considerably in the past 15 or so years, but Lake no longer has an identity in my opinion.
5) Talent ebbs and flows. Perry has had a great run since 2014.....lots of talent! Lakes senior class last year was big and talented, but they never could put it together.....but that could be reason #4s issue!!! We'll see what happens at Perry now that their legend has retired!

Lake was a program to be respected in the past just like Hoover. Hoover has similar problems as Lake. There are fewer kids playing football at the lower levels. Durbin, Hertler and Wakefield demanded respect as coaches they built discipline and tenacity into their programs. The dynamics of football have shifted in Stark County. I find it amazing that so much money is being spent on upgrading football facilities for programs that are in decline, not that it's totally reprehensible to do so. Maybe we give our kids too much without them proving their worth.

Lake was a program to be respected in the past just like Hoover. Hoover has similar problems as Lake. There are fewer kids playing football at the lower levels. Durbin, Hertler and Wakefield demanded respect as coaches they built discipline and tenacity into their programs. The dynamics of football have shifted in Stark County. I find it amazing that so much money is being spent on upgrading football facilities for programs that are in decline, not that it's totally reprehensible to do so. Maybe we give our kids too much without them proving their worth.
I see what you're saying. However, upgrading things like practice facilities and weight rooms can help make programs stronger. So can investing in building strong programs at the youth and middle school level. As for upgrades to the high school stadiums (turf, scoreboards), I tend to agree that it won't really make much of a difference in team success. Though, stadiums are often also used by soccer and lacrosse teams (I know they are at Green) so it may be more of an investment in the athletic programs as a whole rather than just for football. I'd have much rather Green had invested in expanding their weight room instead of replacing turf and remodeling the stadium enterance.

it's not just one thing in my opinion
1) Huge change at the state level with Division alignments in the past 15 years or so. Division 2 is now loaded with parochial schools and former D1 schools
2) League play has changed. We are now the smallest school in the fed and have been since McKinley/Fitch/Boardman joined in the early 2000s(Fitch/Boardman have since left)
3) Lake doesn't have as many kids as we used to. Enrollment is down(at least the last time i looked)
4) coaching definitely isn't on par with Durbin and his staff....in all fairness, the game has changed considerably in the past 15 or so years, but Lake no longer has an identity in my opinion.
5) Talent ebbs and flows. Perry has had a great run since 2014.....lots of talent! Lakes senior class last year was big and talented, but they never could put it together.....but that could be reason #4s issue!!! We'll see what happens at Perry now that their legend has retired!
I agree with everything you say except No. 4....since 2000 Lake is 114 wins 110 losses...Jeff Durbin was 72 and 70....go back to No. 2 ..league play has changed...McKinley/Fitch/Boardman as compared to Timken/Wooster/New Philly...looking at No. 3...current boys numbers 471...boys numbers 1991 was 519...at that time Lake was 10 boys under D 1. The 90's had some amazing talented kids...Christpher, Dues, Howerbush, The Kurtz bothers, Braccio, Burghardt...I can throw out more names...lets look at the style of football...lineup in i formation, big line, and a tight end that could block the 5 technique....now you have to play in space, spread the defense, and score at quick pace...look at Bama now...they will just outscore you. Lake has never been a school with a great supply of speed.

Let's talk about Perry and their new head coach. Do they keep the wing T ?
Whats the word there?
Love him or hate Keith he was a special motivator. He unfortunately motivated the opponent sometimes .

I agree with everything you say except No. 4....since 2000 Lake is 114 wins 110 losses...Jeff Durbin was 72 and 70....go back to No. 2 ..league play has changed...McKinley/Fitch/Boardman as compared to Timken/Wooster/New Philly...looking at No. 3...current boys numbers 471...boys numbers 1991 was 519...at that time Lake was 10 boys under D 1. The 90's had some amazing talented kids...Christpher, Dues, Howerbush, The Kurtz bothers, Braccio, Burghardt...I can throw out more names...lets look at the style of football...lineup in i formation, big line, and a tight end that could block the 5 technique....now you have to play in space, spread the defense, and score at quick pace...look at Bama now...they will just outscore you. Lake has never been a school with a great supply of speed.
but do they work on developing speed with the players they have? honest question as I do not know what their weight program looks like and I think you might.

Lake will still play you tough, they just don't have the horses every year that some of the rest of the league have. However, I hope they are able to get it going again soon, the Fed is better when Lake is in the mix for titles. Plus, I love their stadium!

League play has gotten much worse IMO and Lake’s out of conference schedule is much MUCH easier than what it was when durbin was at the realm. These teams should be winning more games in my opinion. The fed isn’t what it used to be and the out of conference doesn’t have the Hudson’s of the world on it anymore. If durbin coached in today’s league and against this out of conference schedule, I think he’d do better than 6-4 or 5-5 every year. Lake also just doesn’t have an identity anymore in my opinion. Say what you want, but this past years teams should’ve been much better than what they were. I get what you’re saying when it comes to enrollment, and I’m sure it has had somewhat of a role, but we have had some disappointing years lately with some talented classes against some of our weakest schedules ever.

League play has gotten much worse IMO and Lake’s out of conference schedule is much MUCH easier than what it was when durbin was at the realm. These teams should be winning more games in my opinion. The fed isn’t what it used to be and the out of conference doesn’t have the Hudson’s of the world on it anymore. If durbin coached in today’s league and against this out of conference schedule, I think he’d do better than 6-4 or 5-5 every year. Lake also just doesn’t have an identity anymore in my opinion. Say what you want, but this past years teams should’ve been much better than what they were. I get what you’re saying when it comes to enrollment, and I’m sure it has had somewhat of a role, but we have had some disappointing years lately with some talented classes against some of our weakest schedules ever.
Starting with 2000...out of conference teams...Ellet, Firestone, Kenston, Dover...2001 Buchtel, Firestone, Kenston, Dover,...2002...Buchtel, Chaney, Dover, Zanesville.....2003..Boardman, Chaney, Dover, Watterson....2004...Copley, Wooster, Timken....2005...Copley, Woodrow Wilson, Timken....2006...Copley, Louisville, Rayen....2007...Copley, Louisville, Tri-Valley...2008...Green, Lucas Ontario, Tri-Valley,..2009..Green, Hudson, East Tech....2010...Green, Hudson, Watterson....2011..Green, Hudson, Fitch, Mooney...2012...Green, Hudson, Olentangy Liberty, Fitch...now proceeding to DeGeorge years.....2013...Green, Hudson, Liberty, Fitch,...2014...Green, Hudson, East, Central Catholic...2015...Garfield, Dover. East, Central Catholic,...2016...Garfield, Dover, Copley, Mt Vernon....2017...Northwest, Dover, Copley, Ashland...2018...Columbus West, Dover, Copley, Louisville...2019..Ashland, Brush, Copley, Louisville..2020...Fremont Ross, Alliance....Take a look at the out of conference games Durb had and what we have had the last 8 years...there is not that much difference. Weakest Schedules..2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2017, am going to say 2018 just because when Col West was scheduled they were 9 and 1 and were in the D2 playoffs..and then they bring a bad team to play us the next year. Now your comment that the Fed is not what it used to be...so does that mean that those schools have seen the same issues that Lake has dealt with the last 15 years....

Last edited:
but do they work on developing speed with the players they have? honest question as I do not know what their weight program looks like and I think you might.

Lake will still play you tough, they just don't have the horses every year that some of the rest of the league have. However, I hope they are able to get it going again soon, the Fed is better when Lake is in the mix for titles. Plus, I love their stadium!
They do work on speed drills, have an organized weight program with an excellent older weight room...they do try to get speed and or better agility by trying to get the kids to play other sports....but there is one thing you really can't coach and that is speed...you have it or you don't

Starting with 2000...out of conference teams...Ellet, Firestone, Kenston, Dover...2001 Buchtel, Firestone, Kenston, Dover,...2002...Buchtel, Chaney, Dover, Zanesville.....2003..Boardman, Chaney, Dover, Watterson....2004...Copley, Wooster, Timken....2005...Copley, Woodrow Wilson, Timken....2006...Copley, Louisville, Rayen....2007...Copley, Louisville, Tri-Valley...2008...Green, Lucas Ontario, Tri-Valley,..2009..Green, Hudson, East Tech....2010...Green, Hudson, Watterson....2011..Green, Hudson, Fitch, Mooney...2012...Green, Hudson, Olentangy Liberty, Fitch...now proceeding to DeGeorge years.....2013...Green, Hudson, Liberty, Fitch,...2014...Green, Hudson, East, Central Catholic...2015...Garfield, Dover. East, Central Catholic,...2016...Garfield, Dover, Copley, Mt Vernon....2017...Northwest, Dover, Copley, Ashland...2018...Columbus West, Dover, Copley, Louisville...2019..Ashland, Brush, Copley, Louisville..2020...Fremont Ross, Alliance....Take a look at the out of conference games Durb had and what we have had the last 8 years...there is not that much difference. Weakest Schedules..2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2017, am going to say 2018 just because when Col West was scheduled they were 9 and 1 and were in the D2 playoffs..and then they bring a bad team to play us the next year. Now your comment that the Fed is not what it used to be...so does that mean that those schools have seen the same issues that Lake has dealt with the last 15 years....
Lake isn't the only one struggling, the entire league isn't what it used to be.

Lake isn't the only one struggling, the entire league isn't what it used to be.
The league is different.....but still very competitive locally and at the state level.

in the 90s lake made the state championship game 3 times. From 2000-2010 McKinley made it to the title game. Since 2010 Perry has been there twice. Plus Lake, hoover(possibly Mckinley too) has made it as far as the state semi's in the past 15 years or so. If I missed something here, please correct/update!

BSO,
yep, speed has never been our strong suit. Guessing our fastest team ever was 2010? I know you will always defend the staff, but you just brought up my point about coaching.

Why spread things out just because "the game has changed" if we don't have the overall speed to compete? why not slow the game down and keep the ball in the offense's hands? Run the ball. Last years line was massive. rushing attempts and passing attempts were pretty even(276 to 253). Of all the teams that we've had over the years, last years was the one I would have thought could run the ball down the throat of the defense and we passed almost 50% of the time!

I'll bring up Perry. Look at the success they've had since going back to the wing t(wakefield's return) in 2012 ish.

Just my 2 cents of course.

The league is different.....but still very competitive locally and at the state level.

in the 90s lake made the state championship game 3 times. From 2000-2010 McKinley made it to the title game. Since 2010 Perry has been there twice. Plus Lake, hoover(possibly Mckinley too) has made it as far as the state semi's in the past 15 years or so. If I missed something here, please correct/update!
I was thinking more top to bottom, yes there have been some greats runs by Perry lately, but top to bottom I feel like its not what it used to be.

This may sound like coach talk, but if you went into any league game except for maybe one or two the last few years, and thought all you needed to do was roll your helmet on the field, you could very well be on the wrong end of the scoreboard.
I think Green is much improved and GlenOak will improve as the season gets into October.
There are some good coaches in this league and the teams are passionate. Barring injuries, most league contests will be very competitive. As an old Perry guy, I still get more pleasure out of beating Hoover and Jackson, than the other teams, but I’m looking forward to some good games this year week to week.

I’m sorry, but Fremont Ross east and alliance aren’t the same as Hudson, buchtel, kentson, Fitch, Mooney and Watterson. Also Louisville in the early and mid 2000’s is nowhere near the same Louisville as today. The OOC doesn’t even compare.

When was the last lake team you’d see play that had a true identity and played with that “blue streak” tough mentality? I know my answer... and it’s been every bit of 10 years.

I’m sorry, but Fremont Ross east and alliance aren’t the same as Hudson, buchtel, kentson, Fitch, Mooney and Watterson. Also Louisville in the early and mid 2000’s is nowhere near the same Louisville as today. The OOC doesn’t even compare.

Let me pick them off as you just did....2000...weak Ellet, very weak Firestone....2001...very weak Firestone....2002...Chaney and a very weak Zanesville....2003 finally a strong oc..Boardman was a weak Boardman that year....2004..Copley, Wooster, Timken..nuff said...2005 Copley, Wilson, Timken double nuff said....2006...Rayen...2007...just strong...2008 Ontario...2009....East Tech.....2010 thru 2012..strong schedule but scheduling was hampered by the last game open date...Jeff did not want to play Mooney or Watterson those years...one mistake made was re-upping Fitch...he thought Fitch was going to be weak...2014...strong schedule....2015 Garfield weak...East getting stronger..started making the playoffs instead of Ellet...2016 Gardield and Mt vernon..2017...Northwest...the other three made the playoffs....2018...as stated Columbus West...2019...Asland was down..Brush fell off the map in one year. Your statement about Louisville in the early to mid 2000's is correct..but that is only two scheduled out of conference games...so as I see it...the out of conference scheduling is the same.

Now lets talk QB's..2001 and 2002 David Miller, 2003 and 2004 John Rutan, 2006 and 2007 T.J. Viscuso, 2008 and 2009 Ryan Christiansen. 2010 Jon Spohn, 2011 Josh Peach...2014 Adam Dadich, 2016 Owen Goodheart, last two years Jacob Eckles..who is the best QB's of that group

Last edited:
BSO,
yep, speed has never been our strong suit. Guessing our fastest team ever was 2010? I know you will always defend the staff, but you just brought up my point about coaching.

Why spread things out just because "the game has changed" if we don't have the overall speed to compete? why not slow the game down and keep the ball in the offense's hands? Run the ball. Last years line was massive. rushing attempts and passing attempts were pretty even(276 to 253). Of all the teams that we've had over the years, last years was the one I would have thought could run the ball down the throat of the defense and we passed almost 50% of the time!

I'll bring up Perry. Look at the success they've had since going back to the wing t(wakefield's return) in 2012 ish.

Just my 2 cents of course.
2017..awful year..tried spread, tried i, tried double tight...Green perfect example..up 14 to 0..had to keep making first downs..green realized it..and adjusted accordingly...lost 23 to 14..we kept going three and out. To slow things down you still have to move the ball...and the league coaches and out of conference coaches see film, see what they can't do and can do..and adjust accordingly...when we did play ball control people bitched at why we weren't doing spread...the quarterbacks have to perform...the quarterback play hasn't been that great...the Jimmy and Joe's do make a difference

When was the last lake team you’d see play that had a true identity and played with that “blue streak” tough mentality? I know my answer... and it’s been every bit of 10 years.
All Lake teams have started out tough..what you are asking is how many played tough...that is the interesting question. The 90's Lake had talent, ten years of good players with scheduling..ie Hoover followed by Wooster...use 97 as an example...2 week suspension of 15 players..and we still beat Wooster...goes back to the Jimmy and Joe's...put this decades kids into 97 would they have been able to overcome that...I doubt it. Coaches can scheme, they can inspire, they can teach...but eventually the kid has to show up

This may sound like coach talk, but if you went into any league game except for maybe one or two the last few years, and thought all you needed to do was roll your helmet on the field, you could very well be on the wrong end of the scoreboard.
I think Green is much improved and GlenOak will improve as the season gets into October.
There are some good coaches in this league and the teams are passionate. Barring injuries, most league contests will be very competitive. As an old Perry guy, I still get more pleasure out of beating Hoover and Jackson, than the other teams, but I’m looking forward to some good games this year week to week.
You are correct Big Ed...the coaches in this league know how to play each team

I saw online that Canton City is forcing Masks for school staff and students. Does that go for games as well??? It doesn't sound like anyone else in the league is forcing masks. Will people be required to wear a mask at a McKinley game this year???

I saw online that Canton City is forcing Masks for school staff and students. Does that go for games as well??? It doesn't sound like anyone else in the league is forcing masks. Will people be required to wear a mask at a McKinley game this year???
interesting, do you think any other local districts will follow suit

i doubt it holds for games, because i thought the CDC and ODH recommended them indoors for schools and not necessarily outdoors for schools

interesting, do you think any other local districts will follow suit

i doubt it holds for games, because i thought the CDC and ODH recommended them indoors for schools and not necessarily outdoors for schools
So far that's the only school I know of in Stark county that is forcing people to wear masks. I feel bad for indoor sports like volleyball and for the kids in general for this.

Practice starting on Monday for everyone?
seems that way, although I have seen quite a few that are starting on Sunday.

Back to the Fed, hearing some good things out of Jackson about how the summer has gone. Also, I have heard GlenOak has a much renewed energy and enthusiasm, I don't know if it'll translate to more than a few wins, but its nice to hear for a change.

I'll be curious about Hoover, their OC who went to Alliance was a key part of their success recently, and I believe he took some guys with him (someone correct me if I am wrong) but I will be curious to see how they do.

There are some good coaches in this league and the teams are passionate. Barring injuries, most league contests will be very competitive. As an old Perry guy, I still get more pleasure out of beating Hoover and Jackson, than the other teams, but I’m looking forward to some good games this year week to watch.
Some good points Big Ed. I think the few that put a laugh face on this are morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.