Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Lake Blue Streaks

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Perry Panthers

Votes: 37 23.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear the game is still happening. Even shorthanded, I still think Lake can win this week.
Not sure about that. Idk if you read the article, I don’t care who you are playing but when you’re missing 32 players you aren’t favored to beat anybody. Especially when it involves your upperclassman and o-line. At least the young bucks will get a chance to play. Which by the way, does Lake have one of, if not the biggest roster in the fed with almost 80 kids?

Don't have the subscription can you copy and paste the story?
GREEN — A special connection — one involving timing, execution and trust — exists between quarterback and receiver.

But football really just scratches the surface of the relationship quarterback Trevor Van Horn and wide receiver Trey Martin share for the Green Bulldogs.

“It’s more like family,” Van Horn said.

Best friends since fifth grade, the two Bulldog seniors are three-year starters for a Green team with designs on making a big leap this season under third-year head coach Mark Geis.

“It’s kind of easy,” Van Horn said of the chemistry he shares with Martin. “We can go from off the field, being best friends, then we step on the field and we click with football as well. It’s a great feeling.”

Things certainly clicked last week during a 43-14 win at North Olmsted, which improved Green to 2-0.

Van Horn threw for 356 yards to move his career total to 3,395, breaking Ryan Gibson’s school record of 3,286. He accounted for six touchdowns, five of them passing.

All five went to Martin, who caught 11 passes overall for 245 yards. Both the touchdown receptions and reception yardage broke the single-game school records he already owned.

“It’s special because everyone says that quarterbacks and receivers have that bond,” Martin said. “But what brings us together isn’t even football. It’s just something that we enjoy together.”

Martin and Van Horn are the kind of friends who have gone on vacation together. They are quick to laugh and poke fun at each other.

When it is mentioned that Van Horn has been running the ball a little more this year, Martin chimes in, “Yeah, Lamar Jackson!”

The two didn’t play on the same youth football team until sixth grade. Before that, Van Horn still had Martin over to his team’s parties.

“I’d be the only one from the other team invited,” Martin said. “I’d be the outsider.”

It was in seventh grade when their current paths were set.

Van Horn laughs about playing guard and center his first few years of tackle football, then switching to tight end/defensive end in fifth and sixth grade. In seventh grade, he finally moved to quarterback.

Around that same time, Martin made the switch from running back to wide receiver.

“I played running back my whole life until I played for Trevor’s team, and then his stepdad (Tim Dodd) made me a receiver,” Martin said. “It turned out to be the best decision ever.”

Dodd probably knew Trey would make Trevor’s life a little easier.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Martin is an explosive athlete, the kind of kid who can get behind the secondary for a deep ball, snatch a pass high above a defender or maneuver his way through a defense off a short pass.

He’s also very much a football player, one who likes contact. The ultra-competitive Martin starts at cornerback and returns punts, one of which he brought back 81 yards for a touchdown during the season-opening 48-6 win at Ellet.

“He’s very physical,” Geis said. “If you watch him play basketball, he gets rebounds and he’s never been afraid of diving on the floor. Rebounding has always been his thing. That kind of plays into how he plays receiver. He’s a high-point guy. He’s going to go up and get the ball. And he’s going to be very physical in how he tries to compete for a football.”

After 39 receptions for 679 yards and 15 touchdowns during an abbreviated 2020 season, Martin already is at 14 receptions for 302 yards and seven TDs this season.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Van Horn is at the controls of Green’s five-wide, empty-backfield offense. Quarterback already is a demanding position, and this scheme puts even more on Van Horn’s plate.

“I just love the fact that he wants the ball in his hands,” Geis said. “He knows in our offense he doesn’t maybe have quite as much protection as some of the other quarterbacks in our league, but he loves playing in this offense.”

Van Horn threw for 1,443 yards, 20 TDs and four interceptions last season. This season, he already is at 484 yards and eight TDs.

Geis has enjoyed watching Van Horn and Martin mature together from “young pups” on a 2-8 team as sophomores to one of the best QB-receiver duos in the area as seniors.

“Trevor used to just throw him the ball,” Geis said. “Now they know where to put a ball based on where the defender is. That’s just how they’ve grown as football players.”

The best buddies have giant numbers on their résumés and giant chips on their shoulders.

They own a grand total of zero college scholarship offers between them. Not Division I. Not Division II.

“It’s completely dumbfounding,” Geis said. “I don’t know what the reason is. Obviously, coaches like them. Some comments have been made to me, like, ‘Someone else needs to offer him before we make an offer.’ That kind of stuff doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. You watch them play and you know they can play at a high level. They have good size. Their grades are fantastic.”

Geis pauses for a moment, before adding, “They’re going to play somewhere.”

Van Horn describes it as frustrating. Martin concurs.

“We go to these camps all summer, and I’ll be lined up against receivers, and maybe they have two inches on me,” Martin said. “They say they have all these Power 5 offers, and I’m thinking, ‘I’m showing you up right now.’”

Green is 3-0 and now start Fed play with Jackson, McKinley and Glen Oak the next 3 games. They haven't been tested yet and it will be interesting to see how they do. They have some good skill position players, It'll be interesting to see how they fare against better competition.

Green is 3-0 and now start Fed play with Jackson, McKinley and Glen Oak the next 3 games. They haven't been tested yet and it will be interesting to see how they do. They have some good skill position players, It'll be interesting to see how they fare against better competition.
This Green senior class has been waiting for this season since they were in middle school. I fully believe the Dawgs have a chance in every game they play. The culture around Green football has been changing. These next few weeks offer an opportunity to change how the rest of the league thinks about Green football.

This Green senior class has been waiting for this season since they were in middle school. I fully believe the Dawgs have a chance in every game they play. The culture around Green football has been changing. These next few weeks offer an opportunity to change how the rest of the league thinks about Green football.
Quick question: are you surprised that Green didn’t schedule some non tomato cans in their out of league play since this was the year they thought they had a good team?

Quick question: are you surprised that Green didn’t schedule some non tomato cans in their out of league play since this was the year they thought they had a good team?
I’m not surprised. I would have liked to play someone who would offer a real challenge, but I think Coach Geis prefers to build confidence before league play. Playing 3 D1 teams every year in conference is plenty difficult for a school Green’s size.

People are really clueless when they judge how a game should go based on division. Division has no bearing on quality of program.
That may be partially true, but honestly speaking, do you REALLY believe a top division 5, 6 or 7 team should be able to play with a top division 1 or 2 team on a regular basis?
I understand that you have to "play the game", but for the most part, the top division 1 or 2 team will beat a top division 5, 6 or 7 team.

That may be partially true, but honestly speaking, do you REALLY believe a top division 5, 6 or 7 team should be able to play with a top division 1 or 2 team on a regular basis?
I understand that you have to "play the game", but for the most part, the top division 1 or 2 team will beat a top division 5, 6 or 7 team.
I think division matters in games between two public schools. For private schools, not so much.

Is Steubenville less of a program for being smaller? St V, Mooney, Ursuline etc.

Coldwater just took down a D1.

Simply looking at a matchup based on division doesnt work. Talent and coaching and matchups are key.

Standings
Jackson 1-0 (4-0)
Lake 1-0 (3-0)
McKinley 1-0 (2-2)
Hoover 0-0 (2-2)
Glenoak 0-1 (1-2)
Green 0-1 (3-1)
Perry 0-1 (1-3)

North Canton Hoover 21, Louisville 0

Video Highlights and Stats:

Could Lake be the best in the FED this year? Many picked them last. I had them at the bottom myself after losing key group from last year, but they really have some good young talent. They have been an afterthought in any discussion to this point, and with the FED seeming a little down this year, they may have the defense and running game to do it. They really have 3 strong backs, and pretty good size and quickness in trenches. Usually a formula for success, but concern would be a good passing team such as Green or Jackson. With each game, beginning to believe a little more in them. Watched Green and Jackson last night. Nice teams, but neither team blew me away with talent, other than both team have really good QB's. Jackson defense is very very average, and poor secondary. Green has good skill, but lack overall depth and going to continue to get beat up. McKinley definitely vulnerable this year, along with Perry. I believe Lake has Jackson and McKinley 2 of next 3 weeks, so we will see.

Could Lake be the best in the FED this year? Many picked them last. I had them at the bottom myself after losing key group from last year, but they really have some good young talent. They have been an afterthought in any discussion to this point, and with the FED seeming a little down this year, they may have the defense and running game to do it. They really have 3 strong backs, and pretty good size and quickness in trenches. Usually a formula for success, but concern would be a good passing team such as Green or Jackson. With each game, beginning to believe a little more in them. Watched Green and Jackson last night. Nice teams, but neither team blew me away with talent, other than both team have really good QB's. Jackson defense is very very average, and poor secondary. Green has good skill, but lack overall depth and going to continue to get beat up. McKinley definitely vulnerable this year, along with Perry. I believe Lake has Jackson and McKinley 2 of next 3 weeks, so we will see.
Regardless, it’s nice to see such a young team putting some things together. They are going to be real tough the next couple years.

McKinley needs to out score Green to win because there defense stinks.

McKinley has scored this amount of points so far this year.......

Mentor 7
Fitch 28
Wayne 28
Perry 27

McKinley should be able to score 28 points.If Green scores 27 or less they lose.

Last edited:
Lake 38, Louisville 7

Louisville Leopards at Lake Blue Streaks Video Highlights and Game Stats:

Standings
Jackson 2-0 (5-0)
McKinley 2-0 (3-2)
Lake 1-0 (4-0)
Hoover 1-0 (3-2)
Green 0-2 (3-2)
Glenoak 0-2 (1-3)
Perry 0-2 (1-4)

Well, this will be the week we find out if Lake is for real, or simply have benefitted from their schedule. They are very young team and may be a year or two away but looking forward to seeing how they play against Jackson, and especially defensively

Status
Not open for further replies.