2021 Elder Football

Varsity B games.

An idea I have is for the GCL to get together to schedule Varsity B games vs. each other. This would be for Varsity backups(normally juniors and some seniors) who do not get any reps in JV games and do not get any reps in Varsity games. They are essentially practice only players with a few making special teams. The thing is so many of these juniors are good players who will be getting substantial playing time as seniors yet they have a whole season of development wasted sitting on the bench getting 0 or very few game reps.

It would be beneficial for the GCL schools to schedule Varsity B games vs. each other so 3 total per team. Example
Elder vs. St. Xavier all levels
Wednesday: Freshman game
Thursday: Freshman B game
Friday: Varsity Game
Saturday: 10am JV Game 12pm Varsity B game

The way the GCL teams have to schedule they rarely get cupcake games where backups get a lot of playing time. Think the old West Hi and Oak Hills games. Every game now being competitive is wasting a whole season of development for some really good junior players who are sitting the bench, and it could also get some seniors who are backups some deserved game reps. Coaches might even use the B game as a chance to give a younger coach the opportunity to call the offense or defense. You can think of a lot of good to come out of it. I'm not sure what OHSAA rules are in place against something like this though.
Agree with Mad Dogg and to take it a step further, it shouldn't happen.

Varsity B games.

An idea I have is for the GCL to get together to schedule Varsity B games vs. each other. This would be for Varsity backups(normally juniors and some seniors) who do not get any reps in JV games and do not get any reps in Varsity games. They are essentially practice only players with a few making special teams. The thing is so many of these juniors are good players who will be getting substantial playing time as seniors yet they have a whole season of development wasted sitting on the bench getting 0 or very few game reps.

It would be beneficial for the GCL schools to schedule Varsity B games vs. each other so 3 total per team. Example
Elder vs. St. Xavier all levels
Wednesday: Freshman game
Thursday: Freshman B game
Friday: Varsity Game
Saturday: 10am JV Game 12pm Varsity B game

The way the GCL teams have to schedule they rarely get cupcake games where backups get a lot of playing time. Think the old West Hi and Oak Hills games. Every game now being competitive is wasting a whole season of development for some really good junior players who are sitting the bench, and it could also get some seniors who are backups some deserved game reps. Coaches might even use the B game as a chance to give a younger coach the opportunity to call the offense or defense. You can think of a lot of good to come out of it. I'm not sure what OHSAA rules are in place against something like this though.
I like the idea of getting kids more playing time, but I just don't see this happening. Who do you get to coach this team? The season is a long haul as is and adding three games games for this would just kill family time for some of the coaches.

They need to start thinking hard about playing juniors on JV sometimes then. There is a reason other schools play juniors on JV, and it is not to win games. It's about development.
Last season for the StX - Cathedral JV game both teams played juniors that do not start. It was by far the most competitive JV game of the season.

I generally agree that it won’t happen, but there’s no reason to make any absolutes. There could be situations where a good junior is simply behind really good players and there is depth at a certain position. In that situation, you absolutely should be developing the 2nd or 3rd kid.

I am a HUGE proponent of this in junior high and 9th and 10th grade. After that, it’s sink or swim time unless it’s a situation described above.

Last season for the StX - Cathedral JV game both teams played juniors that do not start. It was by far the most competitive JV game of the season.
I think that’s the most sensible but there’s a pride factor, especially at that age, which makes it a tough sell. The kids who make that sacrifice in Basketball & Baseball deserve guaranteed roster spots as Srs but since Football doesn’t have cuts, that guarantee means nothing.

Ben Hambleton was named a top 10 returning Quarterback in Greater Cincinnati by the Cincinnati Enquirer. He was #9 listed if it was supposed to be an actual ranking.

1. Brogan McCaughey, St. Xavier (Sr.)
2. Drew Novak, Western Brown (Jr.)
3. Cameron Hergott, Beechwood (Sr.)
4. Mekhi Lynn, Princeton (Sr.)
5. Ty Thornton, Indian Hill (Sr.)
6. Garrett Yoon, Lawrenceburg (Sr.)
7. Mark Smith, Cincinnati College Prep (Sr.)
8. Logan Landers, Dixie Heights (Sr.)
9. Ben Hambleton, Elder (Sr.)
10. Mitch Bolden, Lakota West (Jr.)

Honorable mention: Chase Crone (Jr.), Simon Kenton; Mason Young (Sr.), Harrison; Charlie Noon (Jr.), Highlands; Levi Wiederhold (Sr.), Fayetteville-Perry; Ryan Peter (Sr.), Norwood; Logan Huber (Sr.), Gus Howlett (Sr.), Scott; Roger Bacon; Aidan Jones (Sr.), Little Miami; Jacob Davidson (Sr.), Lloyd; Will Schulok (Sr.), Turpin; Brayden Everitt (Jr.), Lebanon; Drew Warth (Sr.), Cooper; NaDavion Gaither (Sr.), Mt. Healthy.

Ben Hambleton, Elder (Sr.)​

Hambleton took over as the varsity starter in 2020 on a team coming off a trip to the Division I state championship game. The junior hit the ground running, leading the Elder offense to 38.2 points-per-game over the first four contests and throwing 14 touchdowns and zero interceptions in that span. In Week 2 against Floyd Central (Ind.), he threw for a season-high 317 yards and four scores in a 42-17 Panthers victory.

Hambleton finished second in the GCL-South in passing yards (1,915) and touchdowns (19) and led the highest-scoring offense in the conference (22.4 per game). Hambleton was named second-team GCL-South.

He will be joined in the QB room by Walnut Hills transfer Jack Reuter, who started under center for the Eagles the last two seasons. The junior announced his move to Elder in January.

Last edited:
Interesting write up on #3 Cameron Hergott. He is repeating his senior season. I can't believe any kid would actually want to repeat senior year of high school.

Cameron Hergott, Beechwood (Sr.)​

Hergott is repeating his senior year under Kentucky Senate Bill 128, which allows any student enrolled in a Kentucky public high school during the 2020-21 school year to request to use the 2021-22 school year “as a supplemental school year to retake or supplement the courses the student has already taken.”

Hergott already has a decorated career with two state championships, including last year as the Tigers won the Class 2A title. He was named Mr. Football by the Kentucky Associated Press and the Kentucky Football Coaches Association after throwing for 2,467 yards and 26 touchdowns while rushing for 1,078 yards and 15 touchdowns. He is entering his fourth year as a starter with over 6,000 yards passing and 65 touchdowns, and nearly 2,400 yards rushing with 34 TDs.

Interesting write up on #3 Cameron Hergott. He is repeating his senior season. I can't believe any kid would actually want to repeat senior year of high school.

Cameron Hergott, Beechwood (Sr.)​

Hergott is repeating his senior year under Kentucky Senate Bill 128, which allows any student enrolled in a Kentucky public high school during the 2020-21 school year to request to use the 2021-22 school year “as a supplemental school year to retake or supplement the courses the student has already taken.”

Hergott already has a decorated career with two state championships, including last year as the Tigers won the Class 2A title. He was named Mr. Football by the Kentucky Associated Press and the Kentucky Football Coaches Association after throwing for 2,467 yards and 26 touchdowns while rushing for 1,078 yards and 15 touchdowns. He is entering his fourth year as a starter with over 6,000 yards passing and 65 touchdowns, and nearly 2,400 yards rushing with 34 TDs.
Super weird that Kentucky allowed that. It makes more sense for college, but I'd feel weird being a 5th year high schooler by choice lol

Before reclassifying, Hergott committed to walk on at Akron. He's now committed to EKU. (Perhaps on scholarship?) So I guess things worked out for him.

A friend's son is good buddies with the QB. He could not go to any camps last summer so he did not get any looks, hence no offers. With Akron, there were no guaranties. After deciding to repeat, several scholarship offers came in. Given the price of college, who can blame them

A friend's son is good buddies with the QB. He could not go to any camps last summer so he did not get any looks, hence no offers. With Akron, there were no guaranties. After deciding to repeat, several scholarship offers came in. Given the price of college, who can blame them

I suppose it worked out for him, and I'm guessing he will be able to graduate early and be enrolled by spring possibly.

Super weird that Kentucky allowed that. It makes more sense for college, but I'd feel weird being a 5th year high schooler by choice lol
I’ve heard of guys taking a “5th year” at a Prep School but never just repeating Sr yr of HS. I don’t see how he benefits in any way from this. He won’t be playing vs better competition, so he’s not going to develop his game and he’s still at risk of injury.

I’ve heard of guys taking a “5th year” at a Prep School but never just repeating Sr yr of HS. I don’t see how he benefits in any way from this. He won’t be playing vs better competition, so he’s not going to develop his game and he’s still at risk of injury.
Injuries are a huge part of playing and preparing for Sports. We all know your an admitted wuss! Going back to Beechwood for a 5th yr allowed him to participate in “Camps” this yr that did not happen last yr. He gave himself another “yr” of exposure and in his view it has and will pay off.

Injuries are a huge part of playing and preparing for Sports. We all know your an admitted wuss! Going back to Beechwood for a 5th yr allowed him to participate in “Camps” this yr that did not happen last yr. He gave himself another “yr” of exposure and in his view it has and will pay off.
I’m not a wuss, you don’t understand risk management. That’s why you see projected high round NFL draft picks sitting out Bowl games. Beechwood’s competition isn’t very good, he’s not getting any better playing this season

You're missing the point. This decision wasn't about playing another season of HS football to improve his skills. It was about reclassifying to get a better offer and he's already accomplished that.

Many never-seen-before factors in play for those hoping to play college football.

The NCAA allowing current players another year of eligibility has had a negative trickle down effect for high school hopefuls. Every college has a roster that is still up in the air. No one knows who all is coming back so they can’t recruit and make offers like they had historically. Kids who can play in the Big Ten are now taking MAC offers. Kids who can play in the MAC are taking 1AA offers.

Anyway, does practice officially start this week? Thought I heard it was the 16th or 17th.

I’m not a wuss, you don’t understand risk management. That’s why you see projected high round NFL draft picks sitting out Bowl games. Beechwood’s competition isn’t very good, he’s not getting any better playing this season
you clearly don’t understand college and professional athletics. He will get better through working with a QB Coach (Pike I believe) and attending Camps. The reps he sees in another yr of HS are all seeing if his “offseason” of hard work paid off and see what he still may need to work on.

Last edited by a moderator:
you clearly don’t understand college and professional athletics. He will get better through working with a QB Coach (Pike I believe) and attending Camps. The reps he sees in another yr of HS are all seeing if his “offseason” of hard work paid off and see what he still may need to work on.
Then why not go the JUCO route for a year?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked this site and I am going to toot my own horn.

I saw this in an article by Scott Springer previewing St. Xavier.

Specht and company jump right back into top competition as they begin the season against Greater Miami Conference champion Lakota West Aug. 20 in a game scheduled for FC Cincinnati's TQL Stadium.

Is this a double header then or not? I can't figure out why this is such a big secret. It's just a soccer stadium. Not that big of a deal. I'm much more interested in watching the games than checking out TQL.

I saw this in an article by Scott Springer previewing St. Xavier.

Is this a double header then or not? I can't figure out why this is such a big secret. It's just a soccer stadium. Not that big of a deal. I'm much more interested in watching the games than checking out TQL.
I think it’s a big deal because if these games go well it can lead to hosting more playoff games there instead of traveling to Dayton, Piqua, etc.

I think it’s a big deal because if these games go well it can lead to hosting more playoff games there instead of traveling to Dayton, Piqua, etc.
Very, very little chance of that happening unless FC Cincinnati is willing to host the games for free or pay the OHSAA to host them.

It would be nice to not have to go to Mason. Don’t get me wrong, they have a nice stadium, it’s just usually not very centrally located bw the teams playing.

When was Elders last Playoff Game on a Grass Field? Dayton,Piqua and 1 other school up that way are all Turf fields. Not positive that TQL would get any Playoff Games even if a top tier Doubleheader was held there during the regular season and went well.

Without looking, I'm going to guess the 2001 regional semifinal vs. Colerain at Paul Brown Stadium.

Edit: No. It was the 2003 state semifinal game against Dublin Scioto at what was then called Crew Stadium.

Last edited: