2021 Cleveland Browns Thread

Baker is hands down the worst QB in the AFC north and probably bottom 5 in the entire AFC. Not sure what is left to even discuss about him now that he’s finally done for the season. He blows. Time to move on.

Mayfield was terrible, but he was set up by Stefanski to fail last night. No help for Hudson on Watt and no runs called. No wonder he was sacked nine times and shell shocked. There will be an inevitable separation, as the relationship can never be the same again. Mayfield was betrayed last night. He is not the man for the job, but he was a sacrifice, compliments of his head coach.

I think the major issue for the Browns is figuring out what happened with the decision to keep Mayfield out there. Call Mary Kay Cabot, she does all the human interest stories. Make sure Stefanski is not turning into Crennel.

They're not a bad team, just gotta figure out why there's all this nonsensical drama, again. Burrow is the best QB in the divison but it's not a hot competition, y'know? Two injured, one retiring...

Mayfield was terrible, but he was set up by Stefanski to fail last night. No help for Hudson on Watt and no runs called. No wonder he was sacked nine times and shell shocked. There will be an inevitable separation, as the relationship can never be the same again. Mayfield was betrayed last night. He is not the man for the job, but he was a sacrifice, compliments of his head coach.
This sadly might be true.

Mayfield is not an elite QB, but last year and early this year Baker thrived and the offense flowed with runs, play action passes and rollouts. After the injuries, Browns went away from the PA and rollouts. Why he had Baker in the gun with empty backfield so often is a mystery. I cannot fathom it was an intentional fail by the coach, just to make the QB look bad. But it certainly was a terrible scheme against a team that has been abused on the ground lately.

Those guys are at the end of their careers. So you get a stopgap for a year, congrats.

BTW how bout them Vikings...you know the team that got shut out on their home field after the first drive by the pitiful Browns ?
Rodgers has had just about a guaranteed 6 wins each year in that chitty division

All I was saying to the Steelers fans … be careful, you had 17 seasons with an elite QB … with elite QB you have winning seasons year after year … with mediocre QB play … you have up and down years … no guarantee to have winning seasons … one year (if everything goes right) you win 10 games … the next things go wrong and you win 6 or 7 games.

Pittsburgh the six years before BR … 7-9, 6-10, 9-7, 13-3*, 10-5*, and 6-10 … and only 2 playoff appearances … 51-44 .537
Pittsburgh 17 seasons with BR … 11 years of playoffs and zero losing seasons … 197-99-2 .662

As a Browns fan I know what is like not having an elite QB and continually looking for one … it is not easy … most teams can’t just snap your fingers and have an elite QB … and as a Browns fan, I am not getting cocky either … we still don’t have an elite QB … thus for us to make the playoffs… everything needs to go right.

This sadly might be true.

Mayfield is not an elite QB, but last year and early this year Baker thrived and the offense flowed with runs, play action passes and rollouts. After the injuries, Browns went away from the PA and rollouts. Why he had Baker in the gun with empty backfield so often is a mystery. I cannot fathom it was an intentional fail by the coach, just to make the QB look bad. But it certainly was a terrible scheme against a team that has been abused on the ground lately.
What is mind numbing is it was painfully obvious that Steelers knew what the Browns were going to do … when the Browns empty the backfield, it was going to be a quick pass, the Steelers didn‘t even try to rush … just stood at the LOS and tried to bat the ball … but when in shotgun and a back in the backfield (when they knew the Browns wanted to throw deeper) the rushed like their hair was on fire … the same for when the Browns flipped their 3 TE and then motioned one … it was going to be Counter GH … the first time Chubb gained over 30 yards … the next 3 times they did the same thing were all stuffed … the third and fourth time even I knew what was coming … they are just way too predictable.

When was the last time the Browns had a legendary HOF QB leave the home field to the adoration of the fans? Otto Graham, maybe. Nobody else approached that level of success or left the Browns on their own terms.
The home fans cheered Couch rather loudly when he got hurt during that Sun. night game against Baltimore in ‘02. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: y2h
Joe - Last 4 years of Cowher’s tenure the Steelers were: 2003 6-10, 04 15-1, 05 11-5 (SB Champs) and 06 8-8. In 2019 the Steelers went 8-8 after staring 0-2 when Roethlisberger got hurt in the 2nd game. Thus, they went 8-6 with Mason Rudolph & Duck Hodges as the starting qb’s. Rudolph has started 10 games in his NFL career going 6-3-1.

It’s all about the qb position for both the Browns & Steelers. Both teams & the Ravens are chasing the Bengals & Burrow for the next 10 years. The Browns already picked up Baker's 5th year option prior to the start of this season, he will earn $18.8 mil next year all guaranteed. Brownies have no choice but to run it back with hopefully a heathy Baker next season.

Rodgers, Wilson & Watson are all under contract & would require 3+ first rd draft picks. Brownies could go after a Matt Ryan, Jarred Goth, Kirk Cousins, Crablegs Winston or perhaps Derek Carr but at what cost & how much of an improvement is that over a healthy Baker? Could bring in a former starter for competition w/ Baker: Cleveland native Mitch Trebriskie, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold, Jimmy Garropulo, Tua T or a Teddy Bridgewater. Drafting a rookie qb with Baker on the roster seems like a bad idea plus this qb draft class is really weak.

All of these options are the same one's Pittsburgh will look at, I would think the Steelers will take a qb in the 1st or 2nd rd. The Pitt qb will be gone by the time they pick but the Ole Miss, NC, UC or Carson Strong out of Nevada are all possibilities.

Do you think that the Steelers would "trade up" to get Picket?

Do you think that the Steelers would "trade up" to get Picket?
I think Pickett will still be available when the Steelers pick (guessing 14-17range) since 14 teams make playoffs now. I still don’t think they take him,they have other areas to address. Also they may have signed a veteran QB by draft day. Just my opinion..means nothing.?

Last edited:
Gardens35 - The Steelers will draft somewhere between 14-18. Pit Panthers qb Pickett will go anywhere between 5 thru 12.

I believe the following are looking for a white: Detroit, Houston, Carolina, Washington, Denver, New Orleans

I believe these teams will at least look at drafting a qb: NYG, Atlanta and Minnesota

All of these teams will draft ahead of the Steelers. Pickett will be long gone by 15. Would Pittsburgh move up to maybe 8 or so if the feel a certain qb is their guy? Yea but it would cost them this years 1st, 2023 1st and probably another pick (3rd/4th) just to move up 5 to 8 spots.

Steelers GM has watch North Carolina qb a couple of times and I would keep my eye on the Nevada qb. Both players started 3 years and have approximately 30 starts under their belts. Still, no qb in this draft class will rate above any of last years 1st rounders but because of the need at the qb position, 3 Will probably go in the 1st round this year (Pit, Ole Miss, NC, possibly kid from Liberty & Nevada)

Gardens35 - The Steelers will draft somewhere between 14-18. Pit Panthers qb Pickett will go anywhere between 5 thru 12.

I believe the following are looking for a white: Detroit, Houston, Carolina, Washington, Denver, New Orleans

I believe these teams will at least look at drafting a qb: NYG, Atlanta and Minnesota

All of these teams will draft ahead of the Steelers. Pickett will be long gone by 15. Would Pittsburgh move up to maybe 8 or so if the feel a certain qb is their guy? Yea but it would cost them this years 1st, 2023 1st and probably another pick (3rd/4th) just to move up 5 to 8 spots.

Steelers GM has watch North Carolina qb a couple of times and I would keep my eye on the Nevada qb. Both players started 3 years and have approximately 30 starts under their belts. Still, no qb in this draft class will rate above any of last years 1st rounders but because of the need at the qb position, 3 Will probably go in the 1st round this year (Pit, Ole Miss, NC, possibly kid from Liberty & Nevada)
I like Pickett. He reminds me of a better version of Mayfield without all the distractions. It may take him a year or two but I see him being an above average NFL QB.

Sounds like the entire Bengals roster has decided to either get COVID or 'rest' due to soreness against the Browns the weekend. Lol.

Sounds like the entire Bengals roster has decided to either get COVID or 'rest' due to soreness against the Browns the weekend. Lol.
I’m sure glad they’re all getting the Rona now and not next week ? they’ll still prolly beat the stains with their second stringers

Irwin20 - the thing I like the best about Pickett is that he carried his team to a great season this year and he did it without NFL caliber teammates. He’s had to handle adversity over his 4 years at Pitt - I like that in a Qb. Now, is he nfl good/great? Don’t know.

Hey Brown fans. Former NFL player Antonio Brown stated today that he thinks Roethlisberger will play again next year. Ben is a free agent at the end of this season & the Steelers have already said they are going in a different direction for next season. Could a 1 year play for the home team be in Big Ben & the Brownies future? If Ben was the Browns starting qb this year, they would a playoff team - just sayin.

Irwin20 - the thing I like the best about Pickett is that he carried his team to a great season this year and he did it without NFL caliber teammates. He’s had to handle adversity over his 4 years at Pitt - I like that in a Qb. Now, is he nfl good/great? Don’t know.

Hey Brown fans. Former NFL player Antonio Brown stated today that he thinks Roethlisberger will play again next year. Ben is a free agent at the end of this season & the Steelers have already said they are going in a different direction for next season. Could a 1 year play for the home team be in Big Ben & the Brownies future? If Ben was the Browns starting qb this year, they would a playoff team - just sayin.
No, and no.

No, I don’t think Ben would sign to play with the Browns next year but yea, he would have gotten this years Browns team to the playoffs. At 39 he’s a better qb than Baker was this year.

No, I don’t think Ben would sign to play with the Browns next year but yea, he would have gotten this years Browns team to the playoffs. At 39 he’s a better qb than Baker was this year.
That's the frustrating part. Nick Mullens would've taken this Browns team to the playoffs (and almost did). The organization has to answer as to why they let their QB play that injured. Colossal failure and the writing was on the wall 8 weeks ago. Now he may not even be with the team come September (he will be).

Again, send Doug Dieken out on a high note on Sunday. Play for pride or don't play at all.

That's the frustrating part. Nick Mullens would've taken this Browns team to the playoffs (and almost did). The organization has to answer as to why they let their QB play that injured. Colossal failure and the writing was on the wall 8 weeks ago. Now he may not even be with the team come September (he will be).

Again, send Doug Dieken out on a high note on Sunday. Play for pride or don't play at all.
This is it in a nutshell...keanum wins a Thursday night game, you got him for a reason but refuse to play him when your starting QB is playing hurt and playing awful. It qas obvious Mayfield qasnt the same after the initial injury

Just saw where Mayfield may ask to be traded because he doesnt like Stefanskis play calling. To make that statement, I beleive he is as good as gone...whether his choice or Clevelands

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
Man, I dont know about that. I would venture to say that a HEALTHY Baker, if on the Steeelers this year, would have taken them to the playoffs and 10+ wins.

Thavoice - I’m just talking about comparing the 2 qb’s as they line up week to week this season. Roethlisberger was the better qb in the 2 Browns-Steelers games. A healthy Baker throughout the season, yea he’s most likely better but this season based on a week to week comparison - I think the Brownies are at least 2, probably 3 games better in the win column than what their record is right now.

Baker Mayfield is such a polarizing figure … and am really torn on him … there are so many conflicting issues with him … the top of the list is his personality … I like that he is gritty, fiery, and tough … but, with all that comes with an abrasive and sometimes divisive personality … I really think his personality works as along as they are winning … but when he/team is struggling, it can be a problem. Second, his athletic ability … he is a marginal NFL athlete … who doesn’t seem to know that …. He needs for everything to be alright to succeed … he doesn’t have the ability to overcome shortcomings … finally is his mental makeup … this is the part that scares me the most … he seems to get flustered rather easily … his pocket presence is shaky … footwork goes to hell when pressured.

So what is the answer? … I do think put in the right situation … he can be a highly effective QB … like much of last year … but he does not have the ability to over come team/injury issues … I also believe that the injury started most of the problems this year … but as the year progressed … he regressed … can he regain his previous form … I am not sure … the answer to this situation is not easy … it is hard to move on without a plan on how to replace him and it is even more difficult to count on him regaining his form without a backup plan … this off season will be interesting … much like most Browns off seasons.

Baker Mayfield is such a polarizing figure … and am really torn on him … there are so many conflicting issues with him … the top of the list is his personality … I like that he is gritty, fiery, and tough … but, with all that comes with an abrasive and sometimes divisive personality … I really think his personality works as along as they are winning … but when he/team is struggling, it can be a problem. Second, his athletic ability … he is a marginal NFL athlete … who doesn’t seem to know that …. He needs for everything to be alright to succeed … he doesn’t have the ability to overcome shortcomings … finally is his mental makeup … this is the part that scares me the most … he seems to get flustered rather easily … his pocket presence is shaky … footwork goes to hell when pressured.

So what is the answer? … I do think put in the right situation … he can be a highly effective QB … like much of last year … but he does not have the ability to over come team/injury issues … I also believe that the injury started most of the problems this year … but as the year progressed … he regressed … can he regain his previous form … I am not sure … the answer to this situation is not easy … it is hard to move on without a plan on how to replace him and it is even more difficult to count on him regaining his form without a backup plan … this off season will be interesting … much like most Browns off seasons.
I agree with almost everything...but what is the "right situation". I thi k he had everything needed around him