2021 Cleveland Browns Thread

I watched the game and I know how they try to do onside kicks … no he not suppose to let it hit him … but NFL teams have the first row block (if the ball is kicked hard) and then let the designated player in the second row recover it … all NFL and most college teams do this … not really new technique.

watch around the 6 minute mark
I have the replay freeze framed when the ball first touched the Browns player. The Ravens players and the ball reached the Browns player almost simultaneously, so a play for the ball and not a block should have been the play to make.

The Browns player, was not coached to judge the type of kick because he never looked for the ball, only straight ahead, for someone to block!

There are 6 Raven players and 3 Browns players at the point of initial contact. The Browns player never looked for the ball, to make a play on it and was only looking to make a block (clearly cost the Browns the ball).

The next "row" (one Browns player is approx. 6 yards away).

Therefore, the ball should have been fielded by that player (you could see he would have to make a play on the ball and not block) because the ball had been touched and there were Ravens players around it.

The ball was kicked slow enough and cross field so the Ravens players were at the 10 yard mark (when the ball initially reached that point), to make a play on the ball as soon as it was live OR if it was touched, so they could recover it.

Last edited:
C'mon Browns fans. If you had been told before the game that the Browns would win 24-22, you would not question the manner in which they won. Any win in the NFL is going to be hard-fought and should be enjoyed.

Browns now control their own desitiny. Wins over Las Vegas, Pitt and Cincy (with a loss to GB) would give the Browns the AFC North title at 10-7 based on a 4-2 record in the division, and sweep of Cincy.

Stop being whiny little B's and enjoy a great W. Remember what is was like 2-4 years ago. Being a Browns fan is fun again.

I have the replay freeze framed when the ball first touched the Browns player. The Ravens players and the ball reached the Browns player almost simultaneously, so a play for the ball and not a block should have been the play to make.

The Browns player, was not coached to judge the type of kick because he never looked for the ball, only straight ahead, for someone to block!

There are 6 Raven players and 3 Browns players at the point of initial contact. The Browns player never looked for the ball, to make a play on it and was only looking to make a block (clearly cost the Browns the ball).

The next "row" (one Browns player is approx. 6 yards away).

Therefore, the ball should have been fielded by that player (you could see he would have to make a play on the ball and not block) because the ball had been touched and there were Ravens players around it.

The ball was kicked slow enough and cross field so the Ravens players were at the 10 yard mark (when the ball initially reached that point), to make a play on the ball as soon as it was live OR if it was touched, so they could recover it.
Anybody who has ever coached football knows the technique … every team, and I mean every team in the NFL defends onside kicks this way … but you know more than them … got it … there was not 6 Ravens (5 by NFL rules) on that side of the field … 3 of them would have been blocked (if done correctly) leaving only the two players not near where the ball was kicked … leaving the guy(Hooper) in the second row to field it clean … was it executed properly… no … but NO ONE fields on sides kicks the way you suggest accept High Schools … yea #31 screwed up by letting it hit him … but the scheme was correct.

C'mon Browns fans. If you had been told before the game that the Browns would win 24-22, you would not question the manner in which they won. Any win in the NFL is going to be hard-fought and should be enjoyed.

Browns now control their own desitiny. Wins over Las Vegas, Pitt and Cincy (with a loss to GB) would give the Browns the AFC North title at 10-7 based on a 4-2 record in the division, and sweep of Cincy.

Stop being whiny little B's and enjoy a great W. Remember what is was like 2-4 years ago. Being a Browns fan is fun again.
I agree … win and advance… but it is really frustrating to watch them play so well and so bad during the same game … and while enjoy them winning … I know there level of play must improve (or become more consistent) if they want to be more than a slightly better than average team that I hope they become.

I agree … win and advance… but it is really frustrating to watch them play so well and so bad during the same game … and while enjoy them winning … I know there level of play must improve (or become more consistent) if they want to be more than a slightly better than average team that I hope they become.
Know what you mean, let's see if they gel next week. Defense is looking pretty good suddenly. I still think Priefer's gotta go, you guys know more than me about the specifics but sure hands team sure wasn't there on onside kick, and we could only punt well because Gillan was removed due to injury in favor of a Colquitt.

I agree that more consistency is needed. But I'm not sure there are any outstanding teams in the AFC, with the possible exception of KC and New England. There are about 8-10 "good" teams, Cleveland is among them.

The defense appears to be the stronger side of the ball now. Need everyone to get healthy and stay healthy. Minimize penalties and turnovers, run the ball and stop the run. Solid football, with a roster this good, might be enough to advance through the AFC.

Anybody who has ever coached football knows the technique … every team, and I mean every team in the NFL defends onside kicks this way … but you know more than them … got it … there was not 6 Ravens (5 by NFL rules) on that side of the field … 3 of them would have been blocked (if done correctly) leaving only the two players not near where the ball was kicked … leaving the guy(Hooper) in the second row to field it clean … was it executed properly… no … but NO ONE fields on sides kicks the way you suggest accept High Schools … yea #31 screwed up by letting it hit him … but the scheme was correct.

Thanks for assuming you know what you're talking about and what the replay shows. (Whether you've coached or haven't and what ALL NFL teams run, tell me that is what the Browns ran, in that situation.)

There were 6 Ravens player to 3 Browns players when the ball reached the receiving team (if you can count that high)!

The Raven's play was to kick the ball cross field, so that they would have more players when the ball went 10 yrs. or hit a Browns player, to recover the kick. (It's called getting outcoached by Harbaugh)!

The Browns player NEVER looked for the ball (obviously or it wouldn't have hit him and bounced away without ANY attempt to field it).

MAYBE you can figure it out, if you watch the replay and see the Ravens coach studied film and saw that play would work against how the Browns previously defended onsides kicks. Duh!!!

I've coached and only those arrogant or ignorant assumes that NO ONE understands any sport, if they haven't coached it, at least at the HS level (it's fairly basic and NOT rocket science)! (This is a TYPICAL out for ducking LEGITMATE criticism of the coach and his program, along with you are PERSONALLY attacking the kids / players (when that clearly isn't the case!).

Last edited:
R onside.jpg

Explain to me how this is 6 on 3??????? ... at best 6 on 5 ....

If #31 lets the ball get past him (like he is suppose to) ... #81 fields this rather easily ... this is how ALL NFL teams defend the onside kick. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings ... that was not my intentions ... and I will (and have) criticize their coaches when warranted ... this is all on the player.

There is a reason that only 6% of NFL kicks are successfully done in the NFL ... because they use this technique

View attachment 24477
Explain to me how this is 6 on 3??????? ... at best 6 on 5 ....

If #31 lets the ball get past him (like he is suppose to) ... #81 fields this rather easily ... this is how ALL NFL teams defend the onside kick. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings ... that was not my intentions ... and I will (and have) criticize their coaches when warranted ... this is all on the player.

There is a reason that only 6% of NFL kicks are successfully done in the NFL ... because they use this technique

You posted a photo when the ball was FIRST kicked. The photos before show the position of the players AFTER it INITIALLY, hit the Browns player. Additionally, the distance to the returner would have allowed the Ravens players to recover the kick!

Reread the post below. This has NOTHING to do with anything other than when the ball first touched the Browns player, he could NOT let it go through him because there were Ravens players (one of which recovered the ball), there to make a play on the ball, so he therefore had to try and field the ball.

IF he had watched the ball, he could have made a decision THEN on how to play the ball. When it hit him, it was too late and even if he could have got out of the way, the Ravens players would have reached the ball BEFORE it got to the receiver, so he couldn't have let it go through to the returner.

That is a matter of opinion but the play called and the fact the ball was immediately recovered by the Ravens, confirms that fact.

The photos below are when the ball first hit the Browns player and there are 6 Ravens players on the side of the hash mark where the ball was kicked and 3 Browns where the ball first made contact.

AGAIN:

Thanks for assuming you know what you're talking about and what the replay shows. (Whether you've coached or haven't and what ALL NFL teams run, tell me that is what the Browns ran, in that situation.)

There were 6 Ravens player to 3 Browns players when the ball reached the receiving team (if you can count that high)!

The Raven's play was to kick the ball cross field, so that they would have more players when the ball went 10 yrs. or hit a Browns player, to recover the kick. (It's called getting outcoached by Harbaugh)!

The Browns player NEVER looked for the ball (obviously or it wouldn't have hit him and bounced away without ANY attempt to field it).

MAYBE you can figure it out, if you watch the replay and see the Ravens coach studied film and saw that play would work against how the Browns previously defended onsides kicks. Duh!!!

I've coached and only those arrogant or ignorant assumes that NO ONE understands any sport, if they haven't coached it, at least at the HS level (it's fairly basic and NOT rocket science)! (This is a TYPICAL out for ducking LEGITMATE criticism, of the coach and his program, along with you are PERSONALLY attacking the kids / players (when that clearly isn't the case!).

20211213_195855.jpg
20211213_195536.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how you see 6 Ravens and only 3 Browns on this side of the hash marks (even in your pictures) … so it pointless to continue.

Not sure how you see 6 Ravens and only 3 Browns on this side of the hash marks (even in your pictures) … so it pointless to continue.
You really cant face the facts, that you're wrong.

From, the kicker over there are 6 players.

Just like YOUR photo causes you to make, the wrong interpretation, of how the play developed.

I personally don't care. The photos (the photos accurately show the initial point of contact of the ball, and speak for themselves!).

Last edited:
Wow, this is some intense on-side kick debating. Here is my take: Janovich needs to see the ball and let it pass before turning to block, then Hooper (best hands on team) can scoop it. Design was ok, execution was not. A dumb mistake nearly cost the game.

Onward. Lets beat the Raiders.

Not to add gas to the fire in this onside kick coverage debate, but it was pointed out by a sportswriter that the Ravens were lined up illegally (multiple players not properly on the line of scrimmage) and should have been flagged for illegal procedure in the first place. They even point out that if you look at the ref on the near sideline, he's trying to tell the Ravens players to move up a yard, but never throws the flag when they don't adjust.

Browns let their foot off the gas. You cannot do that in this league no matter who you're playing. Lots of praise and blame to go around. Chubb Missed 3-5 opportunities on very large cutback lanes which is a little concerning considering he's such a great rb. Defense played great in the first half then got lazy in 2nd. Missed kicks. Baker with some great and then not so great throws. It's very frustrating that they haven't put together a full game this season.

In the thick of the playoff hunt, the Browns have been hit by COVID-19 heading into their big game Sunday against the Raiders.

Jarvis Landry, Wyatt Teller, Jedrick Wills Jr. and Austin Hooper are among the eight Browns players being placed today on COVID-19 reserve, the club announced. All are starters.

The others are guard Drew Forbes, defensive end Takkarist McKinley. Also, receiver JoJo Natson and tight end Ross Travis have been placed on the list.

Browns let their foot off the gas. You cannot do that in this league no matter who you're playing. Lots of praise and blame to go around. Chubb Missed 3-5 opportunities on very large cutback lanes which is a little concerning considering he's such a great rb. Defense played great in the first half then got lazy in 2nd. Missed kicks. Baker with some great and then not so great throws. It's very frustrating that they haven't put together a full game this season.
That's the best run defense in the NFL, and we played them twice in a row.

We will run the ball much better the rest of the schedule.

In the thick of the playoff hunt, the Browns have been hit by COVID-19 heading into their big game Sunday against the Raiders.

Jarvis Landry, Wyatt Teller, Jedrick Wills Jr. and Austin Hooper are among the eight Browns players being placed today on COVID-19 reserve, the club announced. All are starters.

The others are guard Drew Forbes, defensive end Takkarist McKinley. Also, receiver JoJo Natson and tight end Ross Travis have been placed on the list.
Plus the game is Saturday, not Sunday, so it’ll be interesting to see whether any of those guys get cleared by then.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

AEW Champion, #1 Poster

Could you share this on.
Around the AFCN
Thread
Did any Ravens test positive?

Oh boy, the Browns are in trouble. Although the Raiders will probably test positive too if they aren't lying, which is possible knowing that organization.

Browns' offense on Saturday: Baker, Tretter, Bitonio, some guy named Blake, Johnny Stanton, Emily Mayfield, Callie Brownson (has played football), Jimmy Haslam, and three guys off the street that don't have Omicron.

Fricking nightmare. Of course something like this happens.

I'm half expecting my phone to ring with the Browns asking me to play TE. On the plus side, I am 6'3" and 250, with great hands. But I'm 61 years old, run the 40 in about 15 minutes, and not in good shape.

Oh boy, the Browns are in trouble. Although the Raiders will probably test positive too if they aren't lying, which is possible knowing that organization.

Browns' offense on Saturday: Baker, Tretter, Bitonio, some guy named Blake, Johnny Stanton, Emily Mayfield, Callie Brownson (has played football), Jimmy Haslam, and three guys off the street that don't have Omicron.

Maybe OBJ's dad is available.