2021 Cleveland Browns Thread

Some chatter going around that the Browns may be looking at Edge again, taking one of the highly athletic developmental guys and not rushing him to quickly.

Some chatter going around that the Browns may be looking at Edge again, taking one of the highly athletic developmental guys and not rushing him to quickly.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they take a WR or CB, with an eye on not having to pay Denzel and of course letting OBJ walk. An edge rusher makes sense, always. They can go many ways with the first rounder, based on who might drop to them.

I know Kuiper and McShay get all the attention because of ESPN, but here is a 7-round Mock draft from CBS sports.

Browns
26. Christian Barmore, DL, Alabama
59. Jabril Cox, LB, LSU
89. Shakur Brown, CB, Michigan State
91. Quincy Roche, EDGE, Miami
110. Seth Williams, WR, Auburn
132. Ben Cleveland, OL, Georgia
169. Shawn Davis, S, Florida
211. Isaiah McDuffie, LB, Boston College
257. Whop Philyor, WR, Indiana

I like the emphasis on the defensive needs, and hard to go wrong with Bama and LSU defenders at the top (except Mingo). Whop Philyor I also like. He reminds me of Gerald McNeil - little slot guy who is super quick and always open.

I don't think they'll use all of those picks this year. They will use some to move around in the draft and trade some for future picks.

This.

I can see some combo involving 89 & 91 to move back into the 2nd round or to the top of the 3rd for a high 2nd round grade that falls; maybe even move 1 for a 2nd round pick next year. The 3rd round is key as it is right before all the compensatory picks from teams losing free agents, there are 10 of those this year.

I would like to see the Browns draft the LB from Tulsa ... Zaven Collins ... looks like a beast
In the 2nd and 3rd rounds a CB and DL, maybe a WR
I don’t see them using all 9 picks ... I see them using them to either move up or trade for picks for next year.

I would like to see the Browns draft the LB from Tulsa ... Zaven Collins ... looks like a beast
In the 2nd and 3rd rounds a CB and DL, maybe a WR
I don’t see them using all 9 picks ... I see them using them to either move up or trade for picks for next year.

I'd just like to see an impact player for the defense. Collins certainly has that potential but i suspect he'll be gone. I've seen enough Ogunjobis and Goodsons, guys that are adequate. With the offense in good shape, it is time to get some difference makers on the other side of the ball.

I'd just like to see an impact player for the defense. Collins certainly has that potential but i suspect he'll be gone. I've seen enough Ogunjobis and Goodsons, guys that are adequate. With the offense in good shape, it is time to get some difference makers on the other side of the ball.
I would be very surprised if Collins wasn't on the board for the Browns

I would be very surprised if Collins wasn't on the board for the Browns
I like Collins a lot. I was watching a little bit of a Tulsa game on TV last season and I was drawn to him. He was a wrecking crew. So I watched both of their games against Cincy and came away hoping he would be taken by the Browns or Vikings. I think he rose in many mocks due to his tape and ability, but now I feel he's going to slide because he might not have a position in many pro defenses (as strange as that sounds).

Collins is more of a 3-4 OLB that specializes in pass rushing and playing in space, not sure he is a good fit for what Joe Woods wants to do on defense. (He screams a traditional Steelers type OLB.) In fact I think Woods uses during most snaps a 4-2-5 type defense so that means they need plenty of DBs and he likes to sub and move personnel along the DL based upon down and distance. I am not a huge Owusu-Koramoah fan but he could be that 5th DB tasked with covering TEs & RBs and most importantly being a fast enough guy to keep up with the mobile QBs that are at the top of the AFC food chain. LB might be a good pick in the 2nd round. A well graded run stopper like Jamin Davis would be a better fit if he drops into the later half of round 2 but that probably will not happen.

If they go defense still feel like a CB or project athletic Edge. But then again the analytics types love the WRs this year and a good one will probably be available when they pick.

Collins is more of a 3-4 OLB that specializes in pass rushing and playing in space, not sure he is a good fit for what Joe Woods wants to do on defense. (He screams a traditional Steelers type OLB.) In fact I think Woods uses during most snaps a 4-2-5 type defense so that means they need plenty of DBs and he likes to sub and move personnel along the DL based upon down and distance. I am not a huge Owusu-Koramoah fan but he could be that 5th DB tasked with covering TEs & RBs and most importantly being a fast enough guy to keep up with the mobile QBs that are at the top of the AFC food chain. LB might be a good pick in the 2nd round. A well graded run stopper like Jamin Davis would be a better fit if he drops into the later half of round 2 but that probably will not happen.

If they go defense still feel like a CB or project athletic Edge. But then again the analytics types love the WRs this year and a good one will probably be available when they pick.
Seems like you could get a good WR in the Second Round, and bring them along slowly to be ready when OBJ or Landry leave.

I don’t disagree ... and I would be happy with either ... I just see Collins as a LB and Owusu-Kormoah as hybrid OLB/S ... Collins played mostly in the box and Owusu-Kormoah played mostly in the flat (outside the box) ... but like I said, I would be happy with either ... both are play makers.

love the DB from Northwestern

I hope the Browns draft Bryce Hargrove from U of Pitt, for O-line. He should still be there on second day. They do need to keep maintaining their o-line so it continues to remain sharp.

Don’t like the pick. Another injury-prone corner who didn’t face anywhere near the caliber of WR’s an SEC corner faces. Probably means Greedy’s injury is career-threatening/ending.

From SI:

Greg Newsome II
CB | Northwestern

The fourth cornerback goes off the board at pick 26. Newsome has put together some fantastic tape through the course of his collegiate career. He can play man or zone coverage and has excellent movement skills. His upside is that of a number one cornerback. He still has some injury concerns, but when on the field, his tape is first-round worthy.
Cleveland is no longer the laughing stock of the NFL. They are starting to make a lot of excellent picks. Newsome is a great value in the back half of the first round. The Browns need stability alongside Denzel Ward, and Newsome could be a great running mate. This team is putting itself in a position to win a super bowl. -- JB

Sporting News:

26. Cleveland Browns: Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
  • Grade: A
The Browns not drafting for immediate need is a testament to them having a loaded roster with an upgraded defense coming off their triumphant playoff return. They didn’t need to force linebacker or defensive tackle when Newsome, with his size, smarts, instincts and nose for the ball, was the clear best player available who also fills a need for an extra big cover man to complement Denzel Ward.

From SI:

Greg Newsome II
CB | Northwestern

The fourth cornerback goes off the board at pick 26. Newsome has put together some fantastic tape through the course of his collegiate career. He can play man or zone coverage and has excellent movement skills. His upside is that of a number one cornerback. He still has some injury concerns, but when on the field, his tape is first-round worthy.
Cleveland is no longer the laughing stock of the NFL. They are starting to make a lot of excellent picks. Newsome is a great value in the back half of the first round. The Browns need stability alongside Denzel Ward, and Newsome could be a great running mate. This team is putting itself in a position to win a super bowl. -- JB

Sporting News:

26. Cleveland Browns: Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
  • Grade: A
The Browns not drafting for immediate need is a testament to them having a loaded roster with an upgraded defense coming off their triumphant playoff return. They didn’t need to force linebacker or defensive tackle when Newsome, with his size, smarts, instincts and nose for the ball, was the clear best player available who also fills a need for an extra big cover man to complement Denzel Ward.
It would be a better pick if the guy didn’t miss so many games in college and didn’t have so many pass interference penalties. And that was in the B1G, not the SEC. I hope he stays healthy and can play, but with the Browns recent history of brittle corners I would have passed on Newsome.

From ESPN:

26. Cleveland Browns
Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern | Highlights
Why they picked him
: The Browns have dedicated this offseason to bolstering a defense that ranked 19th in efficiency last year. Newsome solidifies a revamped secondary, having allowed a QBR of 3.4 as the primary defender in coverage last season, third-best in the FBS.
Biggest question: Will Newsome start right away opposite Denzel Ward? He'll have a chance, provided he can beat out 2019 second-round pick Greedy Williams, who missed all of last season with a shoulder injury. - Jake Trotter