2021-22 Club season

Coach #1

So a new club season is just around the bend. Who will have the best teams 18’s/17’s/16’s/15’s etc. in Ohio/Tristate?

Looks like Attack will have the strongest teams in the 18's and 17's age group. I am hearing rumors that the libero from The Academy is going to try out for Attack 18's this year. Very athletic libero. Should be interesting.

I would think Vanguard would be the team to beat? Two D1 outsides plus Moeller’s middle and a 6’6 opp and don’t forget about the libero going to ucla I believe

At this point I agree with you. And it is based on Vanguards history of making continuous improvement to teams. Objectively Attack 18s finished higher than VG 18s at Nationals and VG 18s looked bad. Adding the Libero from last years 18s will address a key need. And I don’t know what benefit Academy’s libero could add to Attack as they have a really strong libero currently. Maybe as a DS?

I lean the same way on 17s. I have belief in the upside of VG core with more coaching.

Without knowing how 16s will settle I think I’m going chalk with OP over attack and VG.

And I’ll go with attack at 15s as they win at young ages. Exception is OP in age group above.

I would think Vanguard would be the team to beat? Two D1 outsides plus Moeller’s middle and a 6’6 opp and don’t forget about the libero going to ucla I believe
Nothing against the current Vanguard 18s but they r not in the same conversation with last year's 18s. High ceiling talent doesn't always lead to winning results on the court. That is what I see with that team.

So big week for club. OP, Attack, and Vanguard all with tryouts on 9/12. A2 on 9/11. Attack with last night of competitive series on Wed. Vanguard with fall league on Friday.

Confirmed Attack is getting 2 Academy players. Think Vanguard is getting 3. A couple of young cincy setters playing in Vanguard fall league. Not Tran. It may be just kicking tires.

Interesting on the Academy kids going to Attack and Vanguard. Seems like a crazy long drive? I assume they are are older kids. That’s odd for younger setter at 15/16’s to head north? Normally that doesn’t start till they are older.

I think all the Indy kids are 18s. “Younger” setters are 16/17.

Agree on the drive particularly Indy to Columbus. One thing to drive an hour so. But vanguard pulls in those Pittsburgh players as well. They modify practices to Fri night/Sat morning and culture involves local players putting up out of towers on fri night. Seems to build camaraderie.

I think all the Indy kids are 18s. “Younger” setters are 16/17.

Agree on the drive particularly Indy to Columbus. One thing to drive an hour so. But vanguard pulls in those Pittsburgh players as well. They modify practices to Fri night/Sat morning and culture involves local players putting up out of towers on fri night. Seems to build camaraderie.
Does it? From the outside, watching the 17's last year it seemed like they did not gel very well as a team. Looked like all individuals on the court. Maybe that was a lack of practice time because of covid or players being out of town but it didn't look like a very cohesive team.

Absolutely. I saw the same thing you did with 17s but frankly that happens everywhere. It is player dependent. I can tell you about similar issues at attack in certain age groups over the years.

The counter to that is last years vanguard 18s. Very tight.

Absolutely. I saw the same thing you did with 17s but frankly that happens everywhere. It is player dependent. I can tell you about similar issues at attack in certain age groups over the years.

The counter to that is last years vanguard 18s. Very tight.
I agree but isn't it alot easier to be "very tight" when you are a top ten team in the country? Everyone is happy and content when you win! I don't know about the younger age groups, as I didn't see them play. Maybe the 18s group this year is an outlier in that club.

It looks like rosters are slowing being posted at Op, Attack and A2. I would assume Vanguard will coming soon. I heard Jones will not be back to Vanguard. That could be a big loss.

Saw same thing. Lots of impactful changes or updates with more to be decided.

Jones going to Yorktowne. It is an interesting change for vanguard. We all talked about his inconsistency. Will be interesting to see if he evolves his swing.

Vanguard bringing in Academy OH who had similar recognition. Heard he was smaller.

Samuels not playing Attack Club this season. See attack’s 18s roster with 4 Elder players not named Samuels.

Tran not playing attack club this season. Medical. Attack pulled up Walnut setter. Believe it had an impact on one middle not playing. But that is a rumor.

Also one Indy middle not coming to attack 18s.

Op postings are odd. They apparently aren’t having 15s and 17s suggesting combined age groups.

I think vanguard will be a while as their website says team selection happens in October.

While Samuels not playing is interesting, I wouldn’t doubt the kid is experiencing a little volleyball burnout. Libero from Indy is taking his place on 18s and he’s very good.
OP having combined age groups is definitely interesting. Teams they have listed so far don’t seem all that strong. Maybe their top 16s team.

Potentially big changes to tournaments and historic tradition of bids. Move by several lead clubs away from USAV to AAU. Academy out of Indy hosting tournament same weekend as BWVC in Chicago. Attack looks in. Top 9 Clubs from SoCal in. They are declaring no participation in USAV.

Also new Thanksgiving week tourney in Milwaukee with Attack and Vanguard. Looks like AAU affiliated.

Coach #1- any builds or insights?

And passing observation-still weird to see 18-1 Attack without Moe or St X on roster. Can’t recall when this happened on top age group teams.

Will make for an interesting high school season.

Moeller and X were both senior heavy - Each starting 6 seniors and 1 sophomore. Both Attack 18 and 17 this year will have non-traditional schools represented. Lakota East, Badin, Walnut Hills, Sycamore, Milford, West Clermont all having representation on those top teams.

Definitely good for the sport to continue growing across the Cincinnati area

Potentially big changes to tournaments and historic tradition of bids. Move by several lead clubs away from USAV to AAU. Academy out of Indy hosting tournament same weekend as BWVC in Chicago. Attack looks in. Top 9 Clubs from SoCal in. They are declaring no participation in USAV.

Also new Thanksgiving week tourney in Milwaukee with Attack and Vanguard. Looks like AAU affiliated.

Coach #1- any builds or insights?

And passing observation-still weird to see 18-1 Attack without Moe or St X on roster. Can’t recall when this happened on top age group teams.

Will make for an interesting high school season.
The MLK weekend will most likely be heavy in Chicago. I think it’s a bit late in the game for Indy this year for most teams. The Milwaukee tourney will be the best tourney in the country. Just one mans opinion. It’s hard to gauge nationals since USAV still hasn’t announced any dates and or location. Kind of a show at this point.
To the above on X and Moe- last year Elder had zero kids on 18 black and finished 2nd in the state. Don’t count the Moe and X out.

Last edited:
Moeller and X were both senior heavy - Each starting 6 seniors and 1 sophomore. Both Attack 18 and 17 this year will have non-traditional schools represented. Lakota East, Badin, Walnut Hills, Sycamore, Milford, West Clermont all having representation on those top teams.

Definitely good for the sport to continue growing across the Cincinnati area
Moe had 16 on their varsity roster last season. Only 5 are still at the school. Ten graduated and one left the school. Will look very different.

Going to be a serious challenge for the Moeller coaching staff this coming year. Elder is going to be uber talented compared to the field. To compete for the state title is always an expectation at Elder, but if they don't win it all next year would be very disappointing for that group

Elder 100% is the favorite and one of the most stacked teams in some time. St. X's JV team I believe went undefeated so there will be talent there. Don't forget how much Moeller improved over the course of the season last year. Night and day difference. So it will be interesting how the coaching staff deals with it. Tons of experience on that staff.

Elder (5-1)

S: Bianco
OH1: Maune
OH2: Schwallie
MH: Busken
MH: Zimmer
OPP: Maurer
L: Samuels
DS: Harvey

X (6-2)
S: Tran
S/OPP: Haarmeyer
OH: Meyer
OH: Morgan
MH: Feldkamp
MH: Terrell
OPP: ?
L: Huber/Stewart

Moe - Where does Patterson play to maximize his talent?
S: ?
OH: Renneker
OH: Patterson?
MH: Husting
MH: Threm
L: Wong

Elder (5-1)

S: Bianco
OH1: Maune
OH2: Schwallie
MH: Busken
MH: Zimmer
OPP: Maurer
L: Samuels
DS: Harvey

X (6-2)
S: Tran
S/OPP: Haarmeyer
OH: Meyer
OH: Morgan
MH: Feldkamp
MH: Terrell
L: Huber/Stewart

Moe - Where does Patterson play to maximize his talent?
S: ?
OH: Renneker
OH: Patterson?
MH: Husting
MH: Threm
L: Wong
Patterson plays for Vanguard.
Btw the “?” you have for Moe’s Setter is huge. Not sure there is someone as good as JJ in the program to step up. That is NOT a knock on the others kids! I am just saying, that’s how good he was on and off the court. Damn good.