2021-2022 Ohio State Basketball

So the roster next season looks almost set. 5 seniors (all via transfer), 2 juniors (Key and Brown), and 5 freshmen.

Another big man transfer would be welcome.
I think you're forgetting about Etzler, who redshirted last year. All 13 of their scholarships are currently accounted for, and somebody will have to leave for another player to come in.

Looks like a full deck for Coach this year,without a lot of injuries he'll have his work cut out for him.

With a lack of great size they will need to play a little faster and smarter on the defensive end. And the bench/rotation will be interesting.

The only thing that actually matters is the buyout and if there's a date induced decrease in the related cost.

They probably needed to do this for recruiting purposes unless they were already banking on firing him next year. It's not good to have a coach sitting on two years or less on their deal.

I don't see this really changing anything... especially considering that as a percentage of his pay, his raise was only about 60% of the percentage raise given to Ryan Day.

I do think Gene is probably generally satisfied with most aspects of the program, but even for Gene and especially the folks that donate the big bucks there's going to have to be legitimate progress in winning/accomplishments over the next 2-3 years.

The only thing that actually matters is the buyout and if there's a date induced decrease in the related cost.

They probably needed to do this for recruiting purposes unless they were already banking on firing him next year. It's not good to have a coach sitting on two years or less on their deal.

I don't see this really changing anything... especially considering that as a percentage of his pay, his raise was only about 60% of the percentage raise given to Ryan Day.
Agreed. While I do like Holtmann, and acknowledge that the injury bug has ruined the last 2 seasons, I thought the seat might get a little hot this upcoming season. But they needed to show $$$ commitment to him as a recruiting boost, otherwise the other programs use it against OSU.

It will be interesting to see how Holtmann handles this team. It's essentially like starting over with an entirely new roster. If I had to guess, we'll see Gayle, Thornton, Sueing, Holden, and Key starting this year. Okpara will have to play, if only to give Key an occasional blow, and maintain a rim presence. As per the usual, there's not much height to utilize. Apparently, the staff's eyes light up when talking about Thornton. It will be refreshing to have a true PG, and an immediate upgrade for Wheeler. I'm most intrigued by Sensabaugh. He has huge upside, and it athletic enough at 6-6 / 240 that coaches don't believe he needs to drop any weight. All that to say, I think the Buckeyes were caught flat-footed expecting Malaki to be here for at least year 2, and will struggle to fill that void, especially early in the season.

OSU will have 2 players drafted in the 1st rd. yet could do no better than 6th in the BIG and got knocked out in the 2nd rd. of the NCAA tourney. Why would anyone think things will get better with Holtmann as coach. Holtmann reminds me of 9 - 3 Earle Bruce, Bruce had success his 1st year with Woody's recruits than was basically 9 - 3 every year afterwards. Same with Holtmann 20 - 22 wins a year, just good enough to keep his job till Smith retires.

OSU will have 2 players drafted in the 1st rd. yet could do no better than 6th in the BIG and got knocked out in the 2nd rd. of the NCAA tourney. Why would anyone think things will get better with Holtmann as coach. Holtmann reminds me of 9 - 3 Earle Bruce, Bruce had success his 1st year with Woody's recruits than was basically 9 - 3 every year afterwards. Same with Holtmann 20 - 22 wins a year, just good enough to keep his job till Smith retires.
I read your post and do remember those years. You could be right. Sigh.

Probably about how I'd describe it so far. Not hitting the peaks you'd hope for with the basketball program, but also avoiding the cliff dive valleys the program has occasionally experienced.

Last couple years have been weird/unusual between the COVID protocols and bonus eligibility years, and IMO his best team was the year there wasn't a tournament; if you remember they started 12-7 and ended up 21-10, with all three losses being on the road with two against ranked opponents. I think there's a good chance they would have gotten by the opening weekend that March. I think he has two years to show he can do better.

It will be interesting to see how Holtmann handles this team. It's essentially like starting over with an entirely new roster. If I had to guess, we'll see Gayle, Thornton, Sueing, Holden, and Key starting this year. Okpara will have to play, if only to give Key an occasional blow, and maintain a rim presence. As per the usual, there's not much height to utilize. Apparently, the staff's eyes light up when talking about Thornton. It will be refreshing to have a true PG, and an immediate upgrade for Wheeler. I'm most intrigued by Sensabaugh. He has huge upside, and it athletic enough at 6-6 / 240 that coaches don't believe he needs to drop any weight. All that to say, I think the Buckeyes were caught flat-footed expecting Malaki to be here for at least year 2, and will struggle to fill that void, especially early in the season.
I'm hoping Sensabaugh is the real deal,he can score for sure but must get better on the D side.

Assuming the experts are correct, it looks like Holtmann will soon have his 2023 class locked in with Royal and Scotty Middleton joining George Washington III and Austin Parks. Coupled with the 2022 class, it’s been a VERY strong 2 years recruiting for Holtmann and staff.

Royal to Ohio State. Pretty good get...he's a lot better than that mid-70s ranking in this class IMO. Stock has been way up over the last 12 months. Besides Michigan State and Alabama, he also had offers from Illinois, Florida State, Miami, and Iowa State.

Royal to Ohio State. Pretty good get...he's a lot better than that mid-70s ranking in this class IMO. Stock has been way up over the last 12 months. Besides Michigan State and Alabama, he also had offers from Illinois, Florida State, Miami, and Iowa State.
Great news - another tremendous class for Holtmann. I've heard that most "experts" think Royal's ranking will be just inside top 50 as he finishes his HS season.

Also - kudos on the Archer avatar. Anyone who likes Archer is my kind of person.

Great news - another tremendous class for Holtmann. I've heard that most "experts" think Royal's ranking will be just inside top 50 as he finishes his HS season.

Also - kudos on the Archer avatar. Anyone who likes Archer is my kind of person.
I bet most end up with him ranked between 40-50 at the end. He's come on later in the recruiting cycle, and a lot of the bigger schools weren't on his trail until the last six months or so. With his size and length, I think he has enormous upside and could be very good in a couple years. I wouldn't be overly surprised if he ends up being a legitimate draft prospect.

Love that show. The first four seasons are gold. I've been binge watching the series lately, and I honestly like it better now than I did in my early 20s.

I bet most end up with him ranked between 40-50 at the end. He's come on later in the recruiting cycle, and a lot of the bigger schools weren't on his trail until the last six months or so. With his size and length, I think he has enormous upside and could be very good in a couple years. I wouldn't be overly surprised if he ends up being a legitimate draft prospect.

Love that show. The first four seasons are gold. I've been binge watching the series lately, and I honestly like it better now than I did in my early 20s.
Agreed. Don’t think he’ll be a one and done guy but year 2 or 3 draft pick.

There’s so many jokes that I didn’t understand or went completely over my head when I first watched it. It’s been a couple years since I binged the series. Might have to do that again here soon.

There’s so many jokes that I didn’t understand or went completely over my head when I first watched it. It’s been a couple years since I binged the series. Might have to do that again here soon.
There's a lot that went over my head when I first watched it. It's extremely detailed not just with the running jokes and gags, but on this watch through I've gained an appreciation for the background details (pop culture references, technology, major world events, etc.) in those early seasons before the seasonal spin-offs.

They did a great job IMO of creating confusion and ambiguity as to when the show is actually set. I hadn't thought about it before, but IMO the main timeline (excluding the dreaming/coma seasons) began in the late 70s/early 80s, but on a different timeline (so to speak) in which technology improved much more rapidly.

There's a lot that went over my head when I first watched it. It's extremely detailed not just with the running jokes and gags, but on this watch through I've gained an appreciation for the background details (pop culture references, technology, major world events, etc.) in those early seasons before the seasonal spin-offs.

They did a great job IMO of creating confusion and ambiguity as to when the show is actually set. I hadn't thought about it before, but IMO the main timeline (excluding the dreaming/coma seasons) began in the late 70s/early 80s, but on a different timeline (so to speak) in which technology improved much more rapidly.
I have not analyzed the show. Too busy laughing.

Touring the Bahamas for a couple exhibition games this weekend...limited information available, but they beat Egypt's national team today 72-68. Sueing and Towns did not play.

Tomorrow I believe they play Puerto Rico.

I will say it will be interesting to see what happens with Swain now.
I know this kid has a high rating but I wonder if this kid can shoot it well enough to play at a big level. I remember watching the State Semi wondering this. He had over 30 point in a loss but made 2 jumpers. Everything was layups or dunks. He did have a nice shot from the foul line.

I know this kid has a high rating but I wonder if this kid can shoot it well enough to play at a big level. I remember watching the State Semi wondering this. He had over 30 point in a loss but made 2 jumpers. Everything was layups or dunks. He did have a nice shot from the foul line.
After getting Royal and Middleton, I assume his commitment would simply be an added bonus at this point. In some ways, they're all similar, and Swain could have likely been a fallback if they hadn't gotten either of the other two. Either way, I'd love to see him on the squad.