2021-2022 Elder Basketball

24-22 E at half. Is there a bigger b**ch in Cincy HS bball than Carl Kremer? Dude is whining after every single play. This is why I don’t buy this GCL brotherhood shtick. It doesn’t really seem to jive with friendly competition to complain to the officials the ENTIRE game.

Impressive win without arguably their best player. Gutekunst filled in really well. Nice contributions from Browne and Menninger in the 4th Qtr to help close it out.
If they can Browne playing like this more consistently, they’ll be even more dangerous. Even more impressive winning this game w/o Keller and Harp being held to single digits scoring.

I understand Moeller has had a bunch of success and that they don't always play this stall ball, grind it out style, but it's mind boggling to me why any kid out there who's #1 sport is basketball would want to play that style. I guess Kremer's connections help kids get noticed, they've had guys at Butler, Hayes went to Texas, McBride to West Virginia and then Mahaffey is committed to Penn St, but it's such ugly basketball. I just don't get it.

And I know it isn't just Moeller, because Elder has gone this route themselves. Everyone in the GCL really has played this style at one time or another, albeit with a lot of success as most teams aren't disciplined at this level to play that way. I'm happy Elder has opened it up and gone more up tempo in recent years.

Last edited:
I understand Moeller has had a bunch of success and that they don't always play this stall ball, grind it out style, but it's mind boggling to me why any kid out there who's #1 sport is basketball would want to play that style. I guess Kremer's connections help kids get noticed, they've had guys at Butler, Hayes went to Texas, McBride to West Virginia and then Mahaffey is committed to Penn St, but it's such ugly basketball. I just don't get it.

And I know it isn't just Moeller, because Elder has gone this route themselves. Everyone in the GCL really has played this style at one time or another, albeit with a lot of success as most teams aren't disciplined at this level to play that way. I'm happy Elder has opened it up and gone more up tempo in recent years.
That’s why I’ve been pushing for a shot clock. I don’t begrudge coaches for running whatever style gives them the best to chance to win. Their job is to win games, not entertain us. However, stall ball is not good basketball.

If they can Browne playing like this more consistently, they’ll be even more dangerous. Even more impressive winning this game w/o Keller and Harp being held to single digits scoring.
Was that Browne playing in the JV game with 4 fouls at the end?

Definition of a team win. His stats won’t stand out in the box score, but imo Gutenkust was the MVP with his Defense. He was absolutely outstanding.
Kid definitely brings an energy and passion. Also has speed (Elder fast) to stay in front on defense.

IMO Whitmer was the MVP of the game. Not only was he the only double digit scorer but he also was forced into the point guard role. Bringing the ball up the floor under pressure against Moe isn’t easy. He is fundamentally sound and a very good all-around player. Gets overlooked by many.

Last edited:
That’s why I’ve been pushing for a shot clock. I don’t begrudge coaches for running whatever style gives them the best to chance to win. Their job is to win games, not entertain us. However, stall ball is not good basketball.
But that's the thing, if Moeller has all these really great basketball players then why do they play such an ugly style. Most years they should be running everyone out of the gym.

But that's the thing, if Moeller has all these really great basketball players then why do they play such an ugly style. Most years they should be running everyone out of the gym.

You kind of got me thinking about your comments?
Moeller avg. margin of victory in GCL Games the past 5 years:

17' 53-39 =14
18' 66-42 =24
19' 62-36 =26
20' 53-44 =9
21' 53-43 =10
AVG. 62.2 pts a game over that span vs all opponents.

Not sure how nots no running teams out of the gym, and what's ugly about averaging 62.2 a game? Did I mention Moeller is 130-10 over that span, with 2 player's now in the NBA off the 18'-19' teams, not to mention many player's going on to major college on scholarship. "If Moeller has all these great players"? LOL

24-22 E at half. Is there a bigger b**ch in Cincy HS bball than Carl Kremer? Dude is whining after every single play. This is why I don’t buy this GCL brotherhood shtick. It doesn’t really seem to jive with friendly competition to complain to the officials the ENTIRE game.
Griping at the ref the whole game has zero to do with his opinion that the GCL is a brotherhood. Besides Price at Oak Hills, Kremer does more to get kids that don't go go to Moeller scholarships, introduced to college coaches etc. I know a hand full of people that had boys that played in the GCL and not at Moeller where he went out of his way to help them.

601-158 record & 5 state championships isn't bad playing this style. Probably won't stop playing this way until they institute a shot clock

Griping at the ref the whole game has zero to do with his opinion that the GCL is a brotherhood. Besides Price at Oak Hills, Kremer does more to get kids that don't go go to Moeller scholarships, introduced to college coaches etc. I know a hand full of people that had boys that played in the GCL and not at Moeller where he went out of his way to help them.
Literally after every call doesn’t go his way, he’s crying to the officials. There’s a difference bw working the officials after a 50/50 call and being a b**ch. He’s a b**ch and I’m tired of this idiotic idea the league is a “brotherhood” when you’ve got this mf’er whining at the officials until they give him a call.

Everyone seems to want to convince themselves of this narrative, but it’s bs. Obviously, the schools should respect one another but this kumbaya bs is nauseating.

601-158 record & 5 state championships isn't bad playing this style. Probably won't stop playing this way until they institute a shot clock
Look how “good” he is when he doesn’t have a massive talent advantage. He just lost to an Elder team w/o their best player. He’s good but not elite. Also, get off his tip, he doesn’t care about you. And with how he operates his program, he doesn’t have much respect for the other GCL schools.

Last edited:
Strictly from a bball aspect, yes, doesn’t make either elite. Elite coaches win even when they don’t have talent.

Isn't this Elder best team in many years? Everyone know Moe would come back a little this year, so Elder was the favorite at home last night. 1 loss as the underdog and the coach isn't elite? Come on

Literally after every call doesn’t go his way, he’s crying to the officials. There’s a difference bw working the officials after a 50/50 call and being a b**ch. He’s a b**ch and I’m tired of this idiotic idea the league is a “brotherhood” when you’ve got this mf’er whining at the officials until they give him a call.

Everyone seems to want to convince themselves of this narrative, but it’s bs. Obviously, the schools should respect one another but this kumbaya bs is nauseating.
Obviously you never got to watch the great Paul "Hans" Frey, Hep Cronin to name a few