2020 St. Ignatius Football

Worm is a great poster. Always has been.

However, Kyle's "these kids deserve 10 games" thing doesn't make sense, and sounds like the participation trophy Worm references.

The kids work to make the playoffs, and try to live up to the teams of the past. That's how it was when I was there.

No one can convince me the kids will be satisfied if they go 3-7, because they played 10 games.

Dematha would be the first team that should be a bye week.

This is not the Wildcats of old, the point is you don't over schedule then can't make the playoffs, I am all for a tough schedule but this is mind boggling especially is most likely a down year. It is also fun to play in weeks 11 thru 15.

However, Kyle's "these kids deserve 10 games" thing doesn't make sense, and sounds like the participation trophy Worm references.

The kids work to make the playoffs, and try to live up to the teams of the past. That's how it was when I was there.

No one can convince me the kids will be satisfied if they go 3-7, because they played 10 games.

The thing that's separated Iggy from most is discipline, which comes with great coaching & experience. That's always been their secret sauce because even when they had more talent, they were beating teams with even more talent than they had. I've seen them blow teams out with screens & halfback draws the whole game, with an occasional "just because" passes downfield, because they simply did all of the little things right and jumped on their opposition early. Their game has always been more chess than checkers, especially lately. It just didn't work out last year, but they still beat a solid Hoban squad and barely lost to Mentor, St. Eds, St. X, and Football North. The loss to "the Canadians" bruised Iggy's ego simply because they're "Iggy," but they're much better than most give them credit for. Talent wise, Iggy was way better in the 90's & early 2000's, but those teams were special. When you've had Kyle's overall level of success, your schedule isn't going to be filled with nothing but the best, especially since they're not in a conference. I'd take it as a compliment and simply treat the regular season like every week is "do or die" like college football. Again, I'd love for Harding to host Hoban, Mentor, and Moeller, travel to Cincinnati for a game against a GCL team, go to Massillon, get a crack at DeMatha, etc. Most high school fans don't see that level of talent in a lifetime and I didn't even mention St. Eds.

The last time I checked, 100% of the alumni from Iggy go to college. Seems to me like they prepare their young men well for life after high school and if you're fortunate enough to play football for a legend like Chuck Kyle, you're going to learn that there's no hand holding in the real world and to be the best, you have to compete against the best. Mediocrity has never been an option at Iggy in the classroom and it definitely isn't on the field, so appreciate teh fact that win or lose, your football players will be set up for success far beyond the field of play.

Speaking of "success," Iggy's last championship was in 2011, a season after they finished 4-6 and didn't make the playoffs. Maybe, Kyle knows something that we don't yet... Again.

Great post Worm, appreciate your sharing your perspective as always. Next season will be a challenge for sure - hopefully the young Cats are up to the task. Miss seeing the Raiders on the football field; lot of good battles in the early - mid aughts.

I’m glad that my program has returned to the level to be on your schedule. I sure hate losing to you guys but you’ve earned and deserved all your success. Here’s to a 10-0 and 9-1 season for both teams this year. Good luck!

It sounds like many think that Ignatius is a state contending team in ‘21. If that’s the case, why not schedule the meat grinder in ‘20? For Ignatius it’s always been state or bust...playoffs alone doesn’t really make the season for them. So what’s the point of going 6-4 and getting knocked out in the first round, when you can schedule 10 high quality opponents to prep your juniors for the 2021 season?

Wildcats went 5-5 last year, with 4 of the losses coming by 7 or less. They were clearly the third best team in R1.

There is good talent coming up the ranks, but a schedule like this may be a year too early. Very little margin for error. My Eagles are in a similar boat, but have a more manageable schedule. Looking forward to seeing how both teams fare next season.
Seems to me that as long as St. Edward has its current athletic director, and St. Ignatius has its current athletic director, the Eagles are always going to have the more manageable schedule.

How did the JVs do against Ed's?

I know his name has eagle in it but lists favorite school as CJ ( I’m guessing Cham Julienne ) but don’t care either way.

AZ age check? Aren’t you getting past the time to be on this site? Your stuff gets old after the years...

Some of you are acting like having a tough schedule like that is a badge of honor, Just a couple of years ago you were scheduling 3 Parma teams going 7-3 and not making the playoffs sounds like the AD doesn't know which route to go but neither sounds like a plan to get into the playoffs. As for having a dream schedule and playing a who vs who if you have the talent to compete I am all for it but to go 3-7 and sit home in Week 11 that is not fun. Iggy could be in a top 3 or 4 team in Region 1 next year and sit home because of there schedule. To each his own, I don't think you over schedule especially when this is not going to be one of your talented group of players.

The Ignatius AD is in a precarious situation. He can't find any local teams to be on the schedule.

I understand that it's not like he's choosing Dematha over Solon.

I just don't see the point of not having a bye between these weekly tough games. There are plenty of playoff points to be earned with other teams.

Ignatius didn't belong on the same field with Dematha. I never thought I'd say that about an Ignatius opponent. Don't give me travel time and heat as an excuse. It was talent. A massive talent gap.

With this 10 game schedule, the Cats may be lucky to win 4 games. The juniors will have to grow up very quickly and carry the dead weight of an overall below average senior class, similar to what happened during the 2010 season. Those juniors emerged battle hardened the following year in 2011, but they had to pay for it.

One thing really bothers me with this schedule. The AD should not have scheduled Massillon without the guarantee of a return home game in 2021. I don’t care if you can’t find an opponent, take a bye week instead! Massillon deliberately cancelled the series after 2009 because the Tigers were 1-12 against the Cats, with no end of losing in sight, and now they want back in for ONE year to play a down Ignatius team, ONE year before the team will be ready and experienced enough to compete for a state championship? The AD should not have taken that deal.

I’d rather honor the contract and take another beating against DeMatha (maybe they’ll even score this time), then play Massillon in a one year contract on the road. Take the bye week there instead.

I’d rather honor the contract and take another beating against DeMatha (maybe they’ll even score this time), then play Massillon in a one year contract on the road. Take the bye week there instead.

The one year deal with Massillon is not unusual, but I agree that a bye week would be better.

Ignatius has a shot against Massillon. The same can't be said against Dematha, IMO.

Kyle might need to call it quits, he had a great run but younger coaches with more drive are taking over. It is really a different game than it was back in the 1980s, he needs to step down, he had a great run but the run is over. Teams are way more talented than his and have better coaching. St. Ed's Mentor and Hoban to name a few.

Kyle might need to call it quits, he had a great run but younger coaches with more drive are taking over. It is really a different game than it was back in the 1980s, he needs to step down, he had a great run but the run is over. Teams are way more talented than his and have better coaching. St. Ed's Mentor and Hoban to name a few.

Sorry, but no one has more drive than Chuck Kyle. Still. His only "fault" might be fierce loyalty to his assistants.

I have little knowledge of the Eds v. Iggy recruiting wars but Ed's is getting the better of it for Cleveland area talent. It seems to be less about x's and 0's and more about jimmys and joes (and administrative priorities).

In any case very strong program who is a legit contender most every year, with a history that would make any fanbase a little spoiled.

Exactly. Kyle, Restifo, Rini, and Cahill all need to go. The team was an embarrassment this year . Unlike the other sports, the football program is totally detached from what Ignatius is all about. Drain the swamp and give Franzinger the reins! Hire a real strength coach too!

With this 10 game schedule, the Cats may be lucky to win 4 games. The juniors will have to grow up very quickly and carry the dead weight of an overall below average senior class, similar to what happened during the 2010 season. Those juniors emerged battle hardened the following year in 2011, but they had to pay for it.

One thing really bothers me with this schedule. The AD should not have scheduled Massillon without the guarantee of a return home game in 2021. I don’t care if you can’t find an opponent, take a bye week instead! Massillon deliberately cancelled the series after 2009 because the Tigers were 1-12 against the Cats, with no end of losing in sight, and now they want back in for ONE year to play a down Ignatius team, ONE year before the team will be ready and experienced enough to compete for a state championship? The AD should not have taken that deal.
You are dead wrong. Massillon really was not jumping on playing Ignatius this year but was having just as much trouble as you in finding a game. You look at Massillons schedule and tell me how weak it is. They play many of the teams Ignatius and Ed's play due to the same scheduling conflicts. The Tigers are not running away from anyone. You make it sound the other way around and Ignatius should not play the Tigers now that they are having a great run. You cant have it both ways. I for one am happy they are playing. The Ignatius Massillon game was always one of the best attended on the schedule with just over 10,000 for each game. Several games played at the Rubber bowl in front of 20,000. Would we dare say Massillon is the clear favorite this year???? Thoughts???

Coach Kyle was amazing in his day but it seems like he has lost the recruiting war with Ed's and they are just another solid program in Ohio and not elite anymore. He used to beat teams with more talent then them with discipline but the game has changed now with the wide open spread offenses and defenses that tilt the game in favor of athletes and less on system . unless Kyle starts recruiting better, they will continue to struggle and he may need to be replaced if they want to go back to being elite. As far as the schedule goes, The reputations and success in the past make scheduling a complete nightmare for the AD. Nobody wants to play a team with their past success even if they may be a little down compared to the past. Their is no reason for other d-1 public schools to play them so they are stuck playing the other great private schools and teams around the country. I do not see that changing anytime soon. It is nice that Massillon is back on the schedule. They were on the schedule for years in the past as well.

I have little knowledge of the Eds v. Iggy recruiting wars but Ed's is getting the better of it for Cleveland area talent. It seems to be less about x's and 0's and more about jimmys and joes (and administrative priorities).

In any case very strong program who is a legit contender most every year, with a history that would make any fanbase a little spoiled.
Ignatius used to get its players from the CYO teams in Cuyahoga county. Now the CYO programs have gone into the toilet, many schools no longer fielding teams. Ed's, while also getting some players from the CYO league, now has focused on the Cleveland Muny league for gettting some elite players. Ignatius has not done this, or if they have, not nearly to the degree Ed's has.

Ignatius used to get its players from the CYO teams in Cuyahoga county. Now the CYO programs have gone into the toilet, many schools no longer fielding teams. Ed's, while also getting some players from the CYO league, now has focused on the Cleveland Muny league for gettting some elite players. Ignatius has not done this, or if they have, not nearly to the degree Ed's has.

While it's true that Ed's has more of a presence in the Muny leagues than Ignatius, the idea that is where we are getting our "elite" players is really a false narrative. I suppose it depends on what you consider elite, but to me, that would be the guys ending up playing at the power 5 conference schools.

Since Ed's first championship season of 2010, here are the guys that have signed with Power 5 schools: Geoff Mogus, Deonte Gibson, Brandon Jackson, Kyle Kalis, Tyler Orlosky, Sam Grant, Greg Kuhar, Darryl Render, Sean Connolly, Solomon Warfield, Anthony Young, Shaun Crawford, Alex Stump, David Dowell, Andrew Dowell, Troy Henderson, Brett Kean, Tony Butler, Cole Gest, Carl Jones, Michael Dowell, Quintel Kent, Jeff Pietrwoski, and Montorie Foster.

Of that group, I believe only Jackson, Henderson, Butler, and Foster may have played in the Muny leagues. The rest are CYO or suburban league guys. There are certainly other muny league guys that have worn the green and gold over this time-span that have gone on to play college football on the smaller stages (MAC guys, D2 and 3). Good high school players, but not elite players. Truth be told, inner-city Cleveland is just not turning out the talent that it was in years past. No more perfect example of this than Glenville.

Since Ed's first championship season of 2010, here are the guys that have signed with Power 5 schools: Geoff Mogus, Deonte Gibson, Brandon Jackson, Kyle Kalis, Tyler Orlosky, Sam Grant, Greg Kuhar, Darryl Render, Sean Connolly, Solomon Warfield, Anthony Young, Shaun Crawford, Alex Stump, David Dowell, Andrew Dowell, Troy Henderson, Brett Kean, Tony Butler, Cole Gest, Carl Jones, Michael Dowell, Quintel Kent, Jeff Pietrwoski, and Montorie Foster.

Dang, no wonder.

Am curious wth happened to Glenville too but that's prolly for another thread.

Dang, no wonder.

Am curious wth happened to Glenville too but that's prolly for another thread.

Without detracting too much from the Ignatius thread, I would say it's a product of two things: 1. A shrinking talent pool in Cleveland's urban core; 2. Ginn's health scare.