2020-21 NCAA Football General Chat

Defense doesn't win championships. Offense does
Yes and no. You need an explosive offense to compete, but of your D can’t get timely stops, you won’t win titles. It’s pretty crazy how much Bama has changed in just the last few years. Their philosophy was shutdown D and running the ball, now they’re a Spread team putting up huge numbers.

You could see this coming during the game. Both teams were yapping the whole game. I thought Tulsa was out of control with the yapping and taunting when they played UC. Today was worse and they had another team that was just as bad. The refs also let it get that way. #40 for MSU should have been tossed after he smoked the guy with a blind side hit on the onside kick and then stood over him, taunting him. As a coach, when you know both teams are on edge, why would you let them go to midfield? They had already had an altercation before the game. Why take the chance on another one? Get them off the field before an incident like this happens. If you are that clueless as a coach that you could not see this coming, maybe you should not be coaching. Plenty of blame to go around for this one.

The Tulsa and UCF bowl results show UC had no business being close to the top 4. I will be rooting for them against Georgia however.

Why play then. Come on man. He wants to win. The SEC is a weak conference this year.

I'm not sure I've heard many people, including SEC fans brag about conference "rankings" this year. That usually starts when the SEC wins the neutral site games against the other conferences the first 2 weeks. This is about when Ohio State fans start complaining that they aren't ranked high enough. Then the SEC starts knocking each other off a bit. Ohio State climbs due to their stretch of virtual byes that make up their schedule. ND stays in the running with 2-3 losses. Oklahoma homes in hot at the end of the season....repeat about every year

I'd be interested in seeing the amount of games a team played contributed to opt-outs. OSU guys have six games on film. Other schools have 10-11.

The Tulsa and UCF bowl results show UC had no business being close to the top 4. I will be rooting for them against Georgia however.

Tulsa out gained Miss State 484 to 271, but mistakes and game circumstances cost them the game. Tulsa was the better team overall. Despite Miss State‘s record they were actually in all but a couple of their SEC games. Cincinnati should be fine. Shouldn’t an SEC bottom feeder destroy an American Conference team?

Tulsa out gained Miss State 484 to 271, but mistakes and game circumstances cost them the game. Tulsa was the better team overall. Despite Miss State‘s record they were actually in all but a couple of their SEC games. Cincinnati should be fine. Shouldn’t an SEC bottom feeder destroy an American Conference team?

For whatever reason...Mississippi State has had very little offense all season. They've also had very little discipline. Hard to judge a 1st year coach on player talent, especially when nearly all the scholarship players aren't their recruits...but their behavior is a direct reflection of the coach

Georgia benefited from a brain fart by Cincinnati in the last 2 minutes. Run the ball and get it to around 50 seconds left would have probably ended the game. Giving them the extra 45 seconds was the difference in the game.

Also worth mentioning is that Georgia celebrated like they won the Super Bowl. Kind of blows the theory that the SEC doesn't care except for National Championships...

Tough loss for UC. Georgia played with no energy until the 4th quarter then finally realized they were in a football game.

Georgia benefited from a brain fart by Cincinnati in the last 2 minutes. Run the ball and get it to around 50 seconds left would have probably ended the game. Giving them the extra 45 seconds was the difference in the game.

Also worth mentioning is that Georgia celebrated like they won the Super Bowl. Kind of blows the theory that the SEC doesn't care except for National Championships...
Exactly. I tip my cap to Luke for the season and getting them there, but simply running the ball on the final 3rd and 2 would have produced a Bowl win over an SEC team, and a 10-0 season. I'm weary of football coaches who have apparently not learned the lesson of the Atlanta Falcons a few Super Bowls ago. Really smart. really highly paid coaches keep doing this. How does this happen? Why don't they do the obvious? And yet, just watch, it'll happen again real soon. And I'll continue to shake my head.

Cinci except for one very long breakaway early and the run by the punter had nearly negative yardage in the second half. The RB wasn't even making the line before hands on. I felt it was passing option or nothing.

Texas reportedly will be on the hook for about $25 million in buyouts for Herman and staff.

Sarkesian from Alabama appears to be replacing Herman.

Tom Hermann getting the heave ho in Texas and Steve Sarkisian is the frontrunner for the job. With is issues at USC I am surprised they'd be interested.

Getting Sark to Texas is easily Saban's greatest rehabbed former head coach flex to date. Besides the alcohol abuse problems, Sarkisian was pretty mediocre at both Washington and USC.

Tom Herman should be willing to crawl to Tuscaloosa to be the next OC at Bama.

All of this time I thought that Les Miles was a $h!++y football coach. Apparently, he was an even worse human being.

All of this time I thought that Les Miles was a $h!++y football coach. Apparently, he was an even worse human being.

If Kansas can end up with Lance Leipold from Buffalo, that’s a huge upgrade imo. Miles was never a good fit for that job. When Mack Brown went to UNC, they already had talent and a solid infrastructure set up. At Kansas they have none of that. You need someone who will come in, scrap everything and build it back up. Miles was too old to take on a project of that magnitude.

If I was Leipold I would take a hard pass if they reach to me, Univ of Kansas sports in general are a hot mess. The school's beloved hoops team is getting ready to be in jail for some time and outside of Allen Fieldhouse their facilities are some of the worst in all NCAA sports. Their football stadium has all the charm of Welcome Stadium>

Drjoy84-20170415120444.jpg

If I was Leipold I would take a hard pass if they reach to me, Univ of Kansas sports in general are a hot mess. The school's beloved hoops team is getting ready to be in jail for some time and outside of Allen Fieldhouse their facilities are some of the worst in all NCAA sports. Their football stadium has all the charm of Welcome Stadium>

Drjoy84-20170415120444.jpg

It does feel like a death sentence for young coaches. Hell, why not drag Mangino back? He’s not doing anything.