2020-21 Basketball Bombers!

4GX

I don't like to admit that I've not seen them play (I'm not even sure how many spectators are allowed into the gym for games-- I think it may only be immediate family), but this year's St. X basketball squad deserves to be talked about-- A LOT!--they finally appear to have turned the corner, after a long dreary spell in the basketball wilderness (basically ever since Scott Martin was pushed out as coach). This year's team is 15-2 for the season, including a stunning win AT Moeller to end the regular season, giving X a share of the GCL league title (with Elder and Moeller); X was voted the #2 seed in the Southwest Ohio tournament brackets (behind Moeller)-- I don't think anyone (maybe even the team) saw THAT coming. Moeller is currently ranked #1 in the state, Ed is #2, X is currently #3, and Elder is ranked #4; with X's two losses to Moeller and Elder, it's possible that X may move up to #2 in Ohio (behind Ed), for the last regular season poll this week.

In my opinion, this win against Moeller in basketball is as momentous as that first win (in many years) against Moeller in football (back in 1992, when Scott Sollman went nuts) or the wins against Moeller in baseball in 2011, or the win against Moeller in lacrosse in 2000-- those each came after YEARS of Moeller dominance (both over X AND at the state level) in the respective sport. X had not beaten Moeller in basketball in 15 years(!) and 30 games-- that's similar to Moeller's streak over X in football from 1969 to 1992-- and most of the recent games had not even been competitive. Moeller had won the last 4 GCL championships undisputed (as well as two straight state titles, and was heavily favored to win a third straight last year, until the tournament was cancelled by the viral epidemic).

This year's win is attributable (in large measure) to the play of St. X senior guard Kobe Rogers, who has been excellent all year-- but has been outstanding in recent weeks, as X beat highly ranked teams in both Ohio (Elder #4, Huber Heights Wayne #9, Moeller #1) and Kentucky (Covington Catholic #4) consecutively. Although Rogers will graduate this year (and will play at Nova Southeastern next year), there is hope for the future for X, as the Bombers' second-year coach Mike Noszka appears to have quickly transformed the program, after probably the worst period in St. X basketball history; X went 14-7 in Noszka's first year (but only 1-5 in the GCL South). This is X's first GCL title in basketball since 2005 (when X was in the middle of its best run in basketball ever, from 1999-2010).

As a huge basketball fan, I am thrilled to see the Bombers back to playing competitively with the best teams; I'm even more pleased for the players and coaches on this team-- who had to have great faith that they could turn around a dismal situation-- and have done it with tremendous effort. Next up: Goshen in the first round of the Ohio state tournament-- Go Bombers!

By the way, I have no idea what the spectator rules are, but X meets Goshen on Feb. 20 in the state tournament at West Clermont, for those who may be interested in trying to attend.

Thanks for starting a basketball thread as I thought about doing it recently but didn't get around to it. They are really doing well and made a good hire as in the second year Noszka has really turned things around by going 15-2. They have a six game win streak with impressive wins over Elder, Covington Catholic, Wayne, LaSalle, and Moeller. I especially love that they won at Moeller on their Senior Night. I hope that St.X makes a deep run in the tournament. Go Bombers.

The Bombers ran a very good Turpin team (14-7, with a win over Elder) out of the West Clermont gym last week in the Ohio State Tournament, to advance to play an even better (Top Ten in Ohio) Huber Heights Wayne team on Saturday night (3/6) in Centerville (7:30pm). X beat Wayne (at X) a few weeks ago, 62-59, in the middle of a string of X wins against state Top Ten teams— this game should be extremely competitive, with Wayne perhaps picking up a little edge with the game in Dayton this time, instead of at X.

However, it’s not clear that either team will have that much of a home crowd advantage, as only limited attendance (mostly parents and school officials) appears to be permitted...but, there is live video offered by/from the St. X website (with commentary by X’s student broadcast team):

Show support for the Basketball Bombers and tune into the streamcast— Head Coach Mike Noszka (just named Southwest Ohio Coach of the Year) has really turned the Bombers‘ basketball program around, in just two seasons; the team is led by senior Kobe Rodgers (also just named Southwest Ohio District Player of the Year)... Go Bombers!

A great win for St.X in defeating Huber Heights Wayne 81-65. Next, St.X plays the Evil Empire Moeller on Wednesday night. Moeller has owned St.X in basketball for years now and it was great to finally beat them earlier this year. It would be even sweeter to send them packing for the season.

I happened to watch the X/Wayne game on Saturday live stream. That was a very good showing by the Bombers who proved along with Moeller earlier in the day that not all GCL-S games are slug fests. Should be a great game on Wednesday, Your new coach has really delivered for you guys. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed the broadcast by your play by play and color analyst. They are a hoot. and had me in stitches after every X basket. :) Great interview of Liam Clifford at halftime. GBM

• Love
Reactions: 4GX
Really the first time I've sat and watched one of their games too. Really organized, good spacing on offense, and hustle on defense. That Wayne team had some talent.

And on the broadcast team, if you can get used to the PBP guy's enthusiasm, they're a fun listen. Same duo does most of the football as all.

• Love
Reactions: 4GX
Moeller and St. Xavier put on quite a show last night at Princeton. This was arguably one of the better high school basketball matchups in the last 10 years or so. I think the Bombers can count on being in the hunt for the foreseeable future with their new coach. I could never understand why they were not more competitive in years past but I have to believe that their new coaching staff has hit on something big. Hats off to St. X on a very good season. I did not see a lot of follow up support for the Bombers on this thread so I thought I would at least acknowledge a job well done. You can take your shots if you would like, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. No BS on my part, just a congratulatory parting comment. GBM

It was a great season as St. X went 19-3 and had a 10 game win streak heading into the Moeller game last night. That 10 game win streak included impressive wins over Elder, Moeller, Wayne twice, LaSalle, and CovCath. St. X was a top 10 team in the state this year and it was a great season. I knew it would be very difficult to beat a great program like Moeller twice in the same season. This was the best team that X has had in awhile.

Great Season! Nothing to be down about... let's hope that Coach Noszka can continue the trajectory that he has established in his first two years!